Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The soulsborne games are only really difficult if you play them like other hack-n-slash games. They're not like all the modern action games where you just run in and button mash, you gotta choose your battles and be careful; take it slowly, look around you, make use of the environment, throw pebbles to pull enemies away from each other. You should never get ambushed or pincer attacked if you pay attention and take things slow.

That said, yeah I can imagine it's difficult to go straight into Bloodborne without any prior souls experience. :shobon: The great thing about these games is that they're very fair, and if you keep at it you'll eventually git gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Literal Hamster posted:

I got this as a PS+ freebie, and after sinking an hour into it, I don't think that this is the game for me. Combat feels difficult to the point of absurdity; I died around 20 times before giving up. I guess that enemies reappear when you die, which makes fighting feel very pointless given how often death occurs. Dodging appears to be the way in which the player is meant to avoid damage, but multiple enemies (and particularly enemies which are behind you) make dodging very hit-and-miss, and the consequence of getting hit is usually death. The game seems clinically averse to holding the player's hand, with virtually nothing to provide instruction for the game other than some easily-missed control mapping notes on the ground, and combat is so dangerous that trial-by-experimentation is impossible.

I respect that a lot of people seem to like it, and I'm sure that the game becomes more bearable if you are familiar with the controls. I don't have the patience to endure this kind of difficulty, and I'm glad that I didn't pay anything for the disappointment.

Thanks for reading my bad video games opinion.

Do you know that dodging makes you invincible for a moment? Dodging is actually extremely good but you need to rely on that fact. You usually don't want to dodge so that an attack never hits you, you want to dodge into the attack so that it passes through you while you're invincible.

it seems like a little thing but the difference between knowing it and not knowing it makes the game about half as difficult.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I find what helped a lot in getting into Soulsborne games is to try some of the other weapons and see what you like the most. Sometimes it's a matter of finding a move-set that you find really comfortable with. When I first played DS1, I was boring and just tried using the Longsword or Broadsword, and I didn't like it. Later, I came across the Halberd, and I really took to it.

The same goes for Bloodborne. I started out with the Threaded Cane, and coupled with the difficulty of Gascoigne, I bounced off the game pretty hard. Later, I tried using the Saw Spear, and I liked it a lot better.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If you've never played a souls game then for the love of god look up the controls. I can only imagine the agony of trying to play the game not knowing basic poo poo like R3 = lock-on

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 13, 2018

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Digirat posted:

Do you know that dodging makes you invincible for a moment? Dodging is actually extremely good but you need to rely on that fact. You usually don't want to dodge so that an attack never hits you, you want to dodge into the attack so that it passes through you while you're invincible.

it seems like a little thing but the difference between knowing it and not knowing it makes the game about half as difficult.

this is really the secret.....bloodborne is very binary and you can always tell if something works

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
Bloodborne is my first, and I had almost the exact same experience. Worse even, because I'm usually completely unobservant and stubbornly refuse to be defensive in video games -- to the point where I didn't pick up my starter weapon and was trying to chop wolf rear end apart for a while. It still felt like a huge annoying slog I kept dying in. Stumbled onto the Cleric Beast, killed it super easy and wondered why I kept dying to trash mobs and not to the boss, thinking this game is stupid.

I hit Gascoigne, said gently caress this, and put the game down for about a month and a half until I decided to try and knuckle down to beat him. Got him stuck on the stairs and cheesed him for 15 minutes.

I started having the time of my life as soon as that dumb fight and the dumb intro into Yharnam was over. If you're not used to games like it, the beginning of Bloodborne is such a hard slog that an annoyed player can put it down easily. You really have to stomach it past Gascoigne to get to feeling good about playing.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

MNSNTZR posted:

Bloodborne is my first, and I had almost the exact same experience. Worse even, because I'm usually completely unobservant and stubbornly refuse to be defensive in video games -- to the point where I didn't pick up my starter weapon and was trying to chop wolf rear end apart for a while. It still felt like a huge annoying slog I kept dying in. Stumbled onto the Cleric Beast, killed it super easy and wondered why I kept dying to trash mobs and not to the boss, thinking this game is stupid.

I hit Gascoigne, said gently caress this, and put the game down for about a month and a half until I decided to try and knuckle down to beat him. Got him stuck on the stairs and cheesed him for 15 minutes.

I started having the time of my life as soon as that dumb fight and the dumb intro into Yharnam was over. If you're not used to games like it, the beginning of Bloodborne is such a hard slog that an annoyed player can put it down easily. You really have to stomach it past Gascoigne to get to feeling good about playing.

Yeah I played both the dark souls and Rom made me quit for a very long time. I found out one of my friends had beat the game which gave me the push to finish it.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

MNSNTZR posted:

So wait, did you ever pick up a weapon?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Platypus Farm posted:

So wait, did you ever pick up a weapon?

As an aside, at first I thought "lol how can people miss it" but after the free month, it's now completely obvious that making getting your starting weapon "optional" (as opposed to DS giving you one from the off) was a gigantic mistake. I hope From's somehow heard that feedback and never goofs like that again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm imagining someone powering through Bloodborne without ever picking a weapon cause they just thought the game was supposed to be hard like that

That's the ultimate run, honestly.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I thought the hotboxes in DS2 were made to be poo poo because "difficult", not because they wanted to make it a loving skill

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

As an aside, at first I thought "lol how can people miss it" but after the free month, it's now completely obvious that making getting your starting weapon "optional" (as opposed to DS giving you one from the off) was a gigantic mistake. I hope From's somehow heard that feedback and never goofs like that again.

Dark Souls made your starting weapon optional too

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

I'm imagining someone powering through Bloodborne without ever picking a weapon cause they just thought the game was supposed to be hard like that

That's the ultimate run, honestly.

When you consider how many people played Dark Souls and spent hours slamming their face into the skeletons in the catacombs on the assumption that "it's supposed to be a very hard game" from all the hype and memes about Dark Souls being ~tHe HaRdEsT gAmE eVeR~ I could honestly see it happening, at least for a while :v:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Your Computer posted:

When you consider how many people played Dark Souls and spent hours slamming their face into the skeletons in the catacombs on the assumption that "it's supposed to be a very hard game" from all the hype and memes about Dark Souls being ~tHe HaRdEsT gAmE eVeR~ I could honestly see it happening, at least for a while :v:

I slammed my face a bit at the Tower of Heide in 2, despite having playing 1 already and knowing things were not supposed to be that way :downs:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I spent a couple of hours in dark souls 2 not noticing the level up lady or the area you're supposed to tackle first after majula before I gave up and checked a walkthrough

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Your Computer posted:

I went straight for new londo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Your Computer posted:

The soulsborne games are only really difficult if you play them like other hack-n-slash games. They're not like all the modern action games where you just run in and button mash, you gotta choose your battles and be careful; take it slowly, look around you, make use of the environment, throw pebbles to pull enemies away from each other. You should never get ambushed or pincer attacked if you pay attention and take things slow.

That said, yeah I can imagine it's difficult to go straight into Bloodborne without any prior souls experience. :shobon: The great thing about these games is that they're very fair, and if you keep at it you'll eventually git gud.

Playing Witcher 3 right after Bloodborne, I think CD Projeckt should really make a Soulsbourne style Witcher game. Besides the similar monster-hunting themes and atmosphere, it would really suit the idea that Witchers need to carefully approach monsters and use knowledge of their habits and weaknesses. And also if it were more like a From game I might not be able to beat monsters that are Red ?? to me without taking a hit on the hardest difficulty setting.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I don't really think anyone should focus on a new Soulsborne unless they're intent and capable of completely revolutionizing the concept. I feel like we reached an excess of the genre by the time the DaS 3 DLC rolled out, I doubt I'd even get very excited if FROM straight up announced Bloodborne 2.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Soulsborne games are great when they're not sequels

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
The only right thing to do is make new IPs

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pretty much. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne were all great. imo part of what makes a good souls game is vague lore and sequels ruin that

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All Soulsborne games are beautiful and I will keep shoveling them into my mouth forever

shame that literally not a single other developer than fromsoft has managed to make any

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Your Computer posted:

All Soulsborne games are beautiful and I will keep shoveling them into my mouth forever

shame that literally not a single other developer than fromsoft has managed to make any

Nioh is pretty good, though it deviates pretty heavily from the Souls formula. Can't speak for The Surge or Lords of the Fallen, but the latter I've heard isn't that great

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Nioh is pretty good, though it deviates pretty heavily from the Souls formula. Can't speak for The Surge or Lords of the Fallen, but the latter I've heard isn't that great

Lords of the Fallen isn't super great, and personally I think The Surge is even worse because it's so ugly. Nioh I haven't even given a try because all of these games have one of my major pet peeves in videogaming; MUSCLE McWHITEDUDE as the main character

god I'm so tired of that dude

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Lords of the Fallen is super trash and completely unfun. I played it for 10ish hours and just didn't continue because it was boring me to tears. I usually finish bad games to have stories to tell, but it's just...bleh.

I played two hours of The Surge and liked it; haven't quite grasped combat (obviously, it's quite different than typical Souls stuff unless you count "you have to think about each attack you're doing") but it was vastly better than Lords already. I intend to pick it up again (probably start from scratch) at some point, maybe even record myself playing it. Has some good ideas at least which I want to see explored!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Lords of the Fallen isn't super great, and personally I think The Surge is even worse because it's so ugly. Nioh I haven't even given a try because all of these games have one of my major pet peeves in videogaming; MUSCLE McWHITEDUDE as the main character

Nioh's combat is pretty good, but the level design is trash next to any of the Souls games and the Diablo-style loot system was completely out of place and added a layer of tedious inventory management that could have been removed entirely.

it's greatest crime though was turning Williams Adams into a anime buffman and not letting you play as a crusty old sea captain

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 15, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Kos (Kosm?) has washed up in the Philippines.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/sea-creature-globster-monster-beach-washed-up-philippines-whale-a8349336.html

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I hated Nioh

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Over There posted:

I hated Nioh

I liked it :whatup:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Niohs loot system makes more sense if you play it all the way to the highest difficulty. At that point a normal Souls game would fizzle out because the equipment customization is nonexistent. In Nioh you start doing abyss runs etc for ultimate gear.

Niohs endgame is an improved version of chalices from Bloodborne

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

WaltherFeng posted:

The best part of Nioh is an improvement over the worst part of Bloodborne?

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
So I just started the DLC yesterday years after platinuming the base game at launch and wow this does not gently caress around.

At first I was like "oh dang it's just a changed Cathedral Ward" but it turns out I was wrong. SO WRONG.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

So I just started the DLC yesterday years after platinuming the base game at launch and wow this does not gently caress around.

At first I was like "oh dang it's just a changed Cathedral Ward" but it turns out I was wrong. SO WRONG.

My favorite part of the DLC is that you know you're hosed from the first time you walk up those stairs to the beast cutter hunter

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Literally every new enemy in the DLC is huge "oh gently caress, no way man" for me

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Root dungeons are cool and a big feature bloodborne has over the souls games

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Samuringa posted:

You say like thats a bad thing

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Chalice dungeons are Cool and Good.

I took down Crow Mom with my new character because I want the Blades and outfit, and man, she does not gently caress around. She killed me repeatedly until she happened to get caught behind a coffin where she couldn't reach me, but my saw spear could still tag her. RIP Crow Mom, I will hoont other hoonters in your honour, don't worry.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

multijoe posted:

Nioh's combat is pretty good, but the level design is trash next to any of the Souls games and the Diablo-style loot system was completely out of place and added a layer of tedious inventory management that could have been removed entirely.

it's greatest crime though was turning Williams Adams into a anime buffman and not letting you play as a crusty old sea captain

Some people complain about the lack of enemy variety, but I think the level design is extremely poor. Levels tend to be dark, cramped, and extremely maze-like.

The inventory system I actually don't mind too much. I usually don't like Diablo-style games, but I think Nioh manages it well by giving you lots of room for items. Like Walther said, the loot system works better since enemies scale up with each difficulty level, but so do the equipment drops. That's why I always consider scaling in Souls or Bloodborne, since poor scaling means a weapon won't be as useful on later NG+ cycles. (I also think Nioh handles weapons for newcomers to the genre better than any of the Souls games, but that's going into a whole other topic)

Your Computer posted:

There are skins you can unlock that let you change your appearance to one of the other characters like Hanzo Hattori or Ginchiyo Tachibana, but you don't get access to that until about halfway through, and they have to be purchased with Glory (points you get for fighting revenants/other players online). They don't show up in cutscenes, though, and it doesn't treat it like you're playing a different character.

multijoe posted:

I wanted to make him look like Richard Chamberlain.

There is a Barber option you can unlock at the Blacksmith to change Adam's hair and beard to make him look a bit more grizzled, but you only have like four or five styles.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I've probably criticized Nioh plenty, but man did that game not do anything for me by the end. If it were a 10-hour game then I probably would've had a good impression, but the lack of enemy variety,

And if this is true:

WaltherFeng posted:

Niohs loot system makes more sense if you play it all the way to the highest difficulty. At that point a normal Souls game would fizzle out because the equipment customization is nonexistent. In Nioh you start doing abyss runs etc for ultimate gear.

then gently caress that. A critical element of the game shouldn't just start making sense once you've played the drat thing for 50 hours. Chalice dungeons are cool because it's extra content even if that content isn't up to the level design standards of the main game, but by no means do you need to do chalices for core parts of the main game to make any sense.

I've been back in DS3 lately but now I wanna play Bloodborne. Might roll a SKL guy and go for the hacked chalice Burial Blade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

As fun as the burial blade is it's windup is too slow. I have a maxed one and I leave it behind for BoM, Ludwig's, Whirligig, Rakuyo