Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Paleblood Hunt is a buncha garbage and it reads like fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Qmass posted:

I am real glad it only took a couple attempts to finish phase 2 of ludwig the accursed because I bet that transition cut-scene grows REAL fucken old if you have to keep sitting through it.

I'm catching up on the thread and what the gently caress, that transition is the loving best. Sometimes I just let myself die when I'm nearly done with phase 2 of Ludwig just to get to play the whole fight again

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You can skip the transition cutscene and that's what I do because I've seen it already. The only problem with that is that the second phase is always dead so quickly that the music doesn't have time to kick in, as it's timed with the cutscene.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
One thing I liked about The Paleblood Hunt is that it made me think about the Rom corpse in the orphanage.

Perhaps it is indeed the real physical corpse and what we encounter is the dream one that still exists in the lake?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

One thing I liked about The Paleblood Hunt is that it made me think about the Rom corpse in the orphanage.

Perhaps it is indeed the real physical corpse and what we encounter is the dream one that still exists in the lake?

That Rom has properly developed legs, though. My interpretation is that the corpse is a proper Great One that died, who Ebrietas appears to be mourning, and the Rom you fight was ascended to act as a surrogate or replacement. However, Rom wasn't strong enough and came out half-baked and brain dead as a result.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the summary parts of paleblood hunt are good but the speculation parts read like the ravings of a madman. it makes my head shudder uncontrollably

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the summary parts of paleblood hunt are good but the speculation parts read like the ravings of a madman. it makes my head shudder uncontrollably

Seems thematically appropriate

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Laugh all you want but the dude who wrote that has probably cleared 6 figures in YouTube revenue from people watching his videos and then referring other people to watch them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well yea but I have no involvement in the money he may or may not make from it so there's no point in getting upset about the success his crazy person fanfiction has found, only the craziness of said fanfiction in the first place. (its pretty crazy)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I thought the game was crazy hard for no reason but it turns out I got the the nightmare of mensis a bit early

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Have you ever thought how weird it is for this game to have an item called the Molotov Cocktail, a real thing that was specifically named after a real person

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
it just means the winter war has happened in bloodborne universe. deepest lore.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

obviously there's a guy named molotov in-universe that just so happened to invent the exact same explosive

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Listen, the Powder Kegs have fought many wars on many sides throughout Yharnam's history. They are a storied people

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

verbal enema posted:

Well I think I might have hit my second "whoah this game is hard" again. Fought Martyr Logarius like 50 times. Got to his second phase once and did pretty ok actually. Learned on accident you can shoot the sword.

Anyways I just wanted to get it down so I summoned someone and we died like 10 times.

Goddamn I was not expecting that. And his spells aren't even that bad! All they do is hurt! I'm much better at fighting beasts or monsters I guess. Also I really don't care cuz ng+ exists so I can get trashed by them again but pretend it's not as bad

Logarius is easily the hardest boss in the entire game. He's the only boss in the main game or DLC that I've never soloed.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

verbal enema posted:

I thought the game was crazy hard for no reason but it turns out I got the the nightmare of mensis a bit early

Nightmare of Mensis is the final area of the game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

U-DO Burger posted:

obviously there's a guy named molotov in-universe that just so happened to invent the exact same explosive

Molotov was the Solviet dude that the Finns didn't like and named their weapon after ironically.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

...! posted:

Nightmare of Mensis is the final area of the game.

There a few areas I've missed apparently. Gotta kill everything

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

...! posted:

Logarius is easily the hardest boss in the entire game. He's the only boss in the main game or DLC that I've never soloed.

I do not understand how peoples experiences in this game can vary so much. I have never died to Logarius and I died like five friggin' times to Living Failures

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Veib posted:

Have you ever thought how weird it is for this game to have an item called the Molotov Cocktail, a real thing that was specifically named after a real person

You might be surprised to learn that the hostile guy at the start of central Yharnam where you pick up 6 molotov cocktails is in fact the nightmare incarnation of Molotov. I cover this connection in my latest 40-minute lore video. Please donate to my patreon.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Veib posted:

wtf.....cant believe this

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah when I saw that I was like “nice move Einstein”

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015
What are y'alls thoughts on locking on vs not? I've beaten the game four times and it occurred to me that I pretty much always lock on in every fight, regardless of enemy or weapon. Except for when i can just swing wildly and 1 or 2 hit them.

Are there situations where you guys prefer the more free movement of being not locked-on? I never got the hang of aiming my attacks well without being locked on. I was thinking it'd be an interesting challenge to try more of that on my next playthrough.

And I have a technical question related to that. Are there any differences between the lock-on quickstep and the not-locked on roll? In terms of total duration, duration of the i-frames, distance covered, etc. They seem the same to me but I'm curious if there's any difference.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The bigger the enemy and/or your weapon, the less useful it is to be locked on imo.

Quickstep and roll have the same amount of iframes, but roll has more startup and recovery frames so leaves you somewhat more vulnerable overall.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dark Souls 3 taught me that if the enemy can jump 20 feet in the air, locking on is suicide. Just go with your gut. If locking on is getting you killed, don't do it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, I lock on depending on the enemy and/or weapon. Locking on to larger bosses tends to make the camera spaz out and also makes it impossible to aim swings. And I cringe just thinking about locking on to any enemy while using a move like the ax's spin2win.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

multijoe posted:

I do not understand how peoples experiences in this game can vary so much. I have never died to Logarius and I died like five friggin' times to Living Failures

Yeah, I had a friend who played up how hard Logarius was, to the point that I was dreading the boss. But then there was a note that said try visceral, and well, that was some solid advice. I'm sure it was luck, but I parried/visceraled him like 5 times in a row no problem once I got close.

And then I nearly killed the Orphan of Kos first time, blind - got too eager though and died one hit away, and it took me like 14 tries to get that far again. Sometimes the game just clicks, sometimes you eat dirt over and over again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PosteriorChain posted:

What are y'alls thoughts on locking on vs not? I've beaten the game four times and it occurred to me that I pretty much always lock on in every fight, regardless of enemy or weapon. Except for when i can just swing wildly and 1 or 2 hit them.

Are there situations where you guys prefer the more free movement of being not locked-on? I never got the hang of aiming my attacks well without being locked on. I was thinking it'd be an interesting challenge to try more of that on my next playthrough.

And I have a technical question related to that. Are there any differences between the lock-on quickstep and the not-locked on roll? In terms of total duration, duration of the i-frames, distance covered, etc. They seem the same to me but I'm curious if there's any difference.

If you're using the whip for crowd control, don't lock on. There will be enemy formations where you can hit multiple enemies if you aim between them, which you can't do when locked on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PosteriorChain posted:

Locking on is better since it gives you a better dodge, and I only stop locking on if it's making the camera be a butt (like bloodletting beast)

PosteriorChain
May 31, 2015

skasion posted:

The bigger the enemy and/or your weapon, the less useful it is to be locked on imo.

Quickstep and roll have the same amount of iframes, but roll has more startup and recovery frames so leaves you somewhat more vulnerable overall.

Cool, thanks for the details. It's wild how much variety of tactics is available in this game.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

That can happen if there are several people in the same house playing the game a lot. Try drinking some chamomile tea.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is there a Dark Souls 3 thread? I just bought the Fire Fades edition and the only other one I've played is Bloodborne, so I'm probably gonna have some words about it

vvvv thanks!

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 18, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Here it is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771816

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

...! posted:

multijoe posted:

Yeah I can't say I agree that Logarius is the hardest boss in the game, and definitely not "easily" the hardest. If we're including DLC, most of those bosses are harder for me.

However, he was a motherfucker to beat at BL4, I'll give you that. He, Amygdala, and Ebrietas have been the major stumbling blocks for my BL4 run so far. I'm still stuck on Ebrietas and just ran out of bolt paper and beast blood pellets on my last attempt :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Trying to beat Logarius without parrying is a terrifying experience, I recommend trying it sometime if you haven't.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CJacobs posted:

Trying to beat Logarius without parrying is a terrifying experience, I recommend trying it sometime if you haven't.

When I was hit by a spell the first time and lost half my health I knew I was hosed

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I did parry him a few times but I was so poo poo at the spell dodging

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I even parried him on BL4, just replaced the riposte with a (charged? I don't remember) R2 because the damage is better than the visceral if you don't have poo poo for SKL.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I wonder how much differently I would play the game if I ever really devoted myself to trying to get good at parrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Eat poo poo Celestial Emissary big dumb dead bitch