Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

A lot of their attacks are kind of oddly timed as well, making parrying hazardous if you aren't used to it. Like their one-hand shove attack always takes a few frames longer to start than I expect, so I miss the parry on it constantly.

There's your problem, you want to backstab them not parry. They have a ton of recovery time on most of their attacks and pretty bad tracking so it's insanely easy to get behind them after they commit to an attack, then if they survive the first backstab they'll power up to go into their berserk state and you can just give them a second backstab whilst they're charging. Once you're not the routine down they become completely trivial to fight and the easiest source of twin blood shards in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1376191995098587138

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I hate those loving things so much, especially because the meter keeps filling even though you broke line of sight/killed them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

And Tyler Too! posted:

I hate those loving things so much, especially because the meter keeps filling even though you broke line of sight/killed them.

If you look closely, there are some fancy ethereal spikes that get stuck in you when you're in their line of sight. How quickly the meter rises depends on how many are on you, and the meter keeps going up until the last one falls off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You're supposed to run through that part.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Doesn't work out so hot in practice. You can get past the first one and the second one, then there's a third one usually bodyblocking the only passage through. Not always but most of the time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
One of the few segments in the game where changing your gear for max frenzy resist helps a lot

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yep, just throw on the frenzy resist rune and put on that white armor with a lot of resist and it's fine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cash out your insight if you can too, sometimes ignorance is bliss :)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does Frenzy not effect you without Insight? Or is the effect just lessened a great deal? I don't think I've ever been around Winter Lanterns with low Insight.

Also, when you get Snatched I remember you lose your Echoes, do they drop wherever you got kidnapped or are they gone for good? Maybe I'm misremembering but I could have sworn I lost everything and of course I didn't make it back to my capture point before another death so I'm kinda curious if it's the one instance where you can't get your XP back.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sigher posted:

Does Frenzy not effect you without Insight? Or is the effect just lessened a great deal? I don't think I've ever been around Winter Lanterns with low Insight.

The more insight you have the lower your frenzy resist is, stops you hearing that loving baby too

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So Gerhman is annoying. Mainly because it's another fight where the camera doesn't like behaving. If I stay locked on to him (which it seems I want to do for how much he moves around), on his longer combos the camera will whip around in such a way I'm dodging right into him. And he seems to have a super armor/counter in the event of any combo over two hits.

Also it seems trying to hit him when he's charging a spell will get me killed from a full health bar. Whoops.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 28, 2021

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And as per my usual, complaining about it got me past him, albeit using 20 vials. Moon Presence meanwhile I killed on the second try. Game beaten.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

DeathChicken posted:

And as per my usual, complaining about it got me past him, albeit using 20 vials. Moon Presence meanwhile I killed on the second try. Game beaten.

DLC?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

PSNow version, doesn't seem it came with it

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

DeathChicken posted:

PSNow version, doesn't seem it came with it

oh yeah it definitely doesnt, i got the psnow version too but had to spring for the DLC so i could cross orphan of kos off my bucket list.

100% worth it IMO but...probably not recommended to take your first spin through it on NG+

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

multijoe posted:

There's your problem, you want to backstab them not parry. They have a ton of recovery time on most of their attacks and pretty bad tracking so it's insanely easy to get behind them after they commit to an attack, then if they survive the first backstab they'll power up to go into their berserk state and you can just give them a second backstab whilst they're charging. Once you're not the routine down they become completely trivial to fight and the easiest source of twin blood shards in the game

I feel like the Kidnapper's punch is very parryable, they have a very predictable timing, you fire a brief moment after the apogee of their arm drawing back. Early game, you often need at least two viscerals to kill them, so you use the opportunity of them getting back on their feet, charging up, to run around them and backstab them with a charged R2.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just had some really fun fights with the Amygdalan Arm in PvP. And the thing isn't even maxed out, only +8. It doesn't have the burst DPS potential of Beasthunter Saif, or Rakuyo, or Chikage, but it's weird and wobbly and unpredictable and I can feel the enemy panicking as I pancake them with transformation attacks.

Best of all I named the character Colonel Sanders and gave him the look.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUbA4jp2dj8

wow thats old lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m really glad the last Bloodborne boss is a frenetic duel against an elderly baby the size of Bloodstarved Beast and not some looming juggernaut the size of Rom. I’m sure he’ll (she’ll?) make the final chalice dungeon boss and the main story very underwhelming but c’est la vie.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wow the Living Failures are total chumps

Badass effect when they cast the Astral Meteor though that was fuxking awesome

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Lady Maria, not a chump

3rd try just pizza cutter two hand stun lock her

wow i wish i could do that over again that kick in when the song REALLY HITS woo boyo

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Lady Maria was such a good fight that I savescummed the cloud save just to do it again.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
tentacle, one step forward, tentacle, one step forward, tentacle, one step forward....

I'm sure it's more fun with a dex build of your own.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

well yeah but if u do let her fight she brings it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s a breakpoint in Bloodborne progression at which Maria becomes a legitimately easier fight than Gascoigne. I have never once needed more attempts for Maria than I needed for the failures.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

thats just cos there are X amount of failures at any one time and u cant corral them all, its not cos they are programmed to fight u like maria.

yes u may simply stun lock her to death but i think, at least for the first time u meet her, its usually the first human boss in quite a while and most players open up cautiously with her and we all know where that goes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also not to pat myself on the back too hard but Phase 1 Maria is just a very aggressive hunter, her P2 blood fire attacks and Goku moves are probably much harder to time for Parry the first time you fight her

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My first Maria fight was with the Pizza Cutter and while I died a bunch, wasn't that hard at that point. Ludwig phase 1 felt harder for me and Orphan took the most tries compared to any boss.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Maria>Ludwig>Orphan for me but it may just have been because i had to get gud (or at least less bad)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Imo swap Maria with Sister Friede.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
While I concede that the Orphan’s arena sets one hell of a mood I dunno it it makes for a good fight. Like, the fight itself is great even if I’m probably gonna have to make another run through the cum dungeon for blood vials after, but getting wiped because you ran into the invisible wall or got caught on rocks on the coast feels bad, man.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

While having no access to DLCs at the moment, I did find it kind of funny the whole game rewards you for being super aggressive when it comes to fights, then Gehrman (yeah, I'm spoiler tagging a six year old game. Hey, it took *me* this long to play through it) actively encourages you to play him as Dark Souls as possible since he'll super armor smack you out of any attempt at a large combo. Then I played it cautiously and most of his attacks could be baited from a mile off. It just took forever to win by attrition.

Or maybe I was doing it wrong, I'm not exactly good at videogames

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Pretty much every base game boss gets melted by either parries or R1 spam. Gman is in the former group

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

DeathChicken posted:

While having no access to DLCs at the moment, I did find it kind of funny the whole game rewards you for being super aggressive when it comes to fights, then Gehrman (yeah, I'm spoiler tagging a six year old game. Hey, it took *me* this long to play through it) actively encourages you to play him as Dark Souls as possible since he'll super armor smack you out of any attempt at a large combo. Then I played it cautiously and most of his attacks could be baited from a mile off. It just took forever to win by attrition.

Or maybe I was doing it wrong, I'm not exactly good at videogames

Just parry him

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
well i guess it's time to battle Orphan for the next 3 hours

also would it be easier to just grab the dlc weapons which im p sure minus killing Oprhan is all i have left in the DLC oh and Laurence of loving boy

but should i just do that kill gehrman and then do ng+3 cuz after that all i need to do is the full story chalices and then boom plat

e: i forgot to say i love the goddamn Astral Meteor effect that i had a goddamn dream about it that was deffo worth that assy boring fight

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 31, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If you're at the Orphan fight, then yeah, just mop up the rest of the weapons (and armor if you wanna do some Fashion Borne) now while you've got all of the weapons you picked up fresh in your mind.

And yeah, Living Failure's ain't the best fight but that meteor attack is dope as gently caress. I love the attacks that literally open a gateway to the cosmos and bring forth comets and poo poo to wreck you. Living Failures, Ebrietas, that Centipede thing at Byrgenworth (which I just actually killed for the first time in 6+ playthroughs and came to find it doesn't "die" but rather gets sucked into a cosmic void, holy poo poo), A Call Beyond; I'm sure there's more that I'm missing but it's great.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Imho Living Failures is a cool boss fight because of the meteor storms and also they’re so weak and pathetic they’re the easiest boss to parry to death and goddamn does it feel good just chaining parry after parry after parry and watching failure after failure just evaporate away.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Its even fun to just stand in place and Beastblood pellet-spam the first one to death over and over.

Doesn't work well after a while though.

For me it was definitely Ludwig who gave me the most nightmares. But Maria was the coolest. I also did the cloudsave thing for her.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My favourite boss to Parry to death is Orphan. Super fun and risky. Also I am not sure how to beat Orphan any other way.