Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I tried doing beast stuff with the beast claws but I could never get the meter to fill. Too much insight? Skill issue?

Either way it felt less fun than the first 3 weapons or the tonitrous or pizza cutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gotta get the mega beast rune!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

HaB posted:

It's basically this: eating a Beast Blood Pellet causes the Beast Meter to show up in the middle of the screen. The more you attack, the more it fills. The fuller it is - the more damage you do. The idea behind that Rom strat is - you "pre-prime" the Beast Meter by punching Rom in the face unarmed. The reason for doing it unarmed is so Rom doesn't teleport away (as the teleports are based on Rom's health.)

So kill the baby spiders, pop a pellet, FACEPUNCH until the meter is ful, throw Bolt Paper on your weapon and Swing for the fences. You can usually stun Rom out of the first teleport entirely. Just do a Charged R2 as soon as the animation starts. You can sometimes stun her out of the 3rd, but it's tricky.

Once she finally teleports away, your Bolt paper will still be active long enough and you should be able to get a kill after 3-4 hit and run attacks, ignoring the adds. Assuming you did I fast enough, she should die even before your Bolt Paper runs out.

Ah I get it, thanks!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I can see my cats' beasthood meters filling up when they see my hand wiggling under the blanket and they know they shouldn't bite it and claw it and disembowel it with bunny kicks but they really really want to

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Where do I get more beast pellets and bolt paper tho? gently caress this stupid spider

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Where do I get more beast pellets and bolt paper tho? gently caress this stupid spider

There are 6 pellets as a guaranteed drop in Old Yharnam and more than 10 in the Forbidden Woods. They're also a rare drop from the wolves in Old Yharnam.

Can't remember where you get bolt paper tho.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was constantly buying fire/bolt paper from the insight shop for a while there, I was usually running with 0 insight or close to

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I was constantly buying fire/bolt paper from the insight shop for a while there, I was usually running with 0 insight or close to

Yeah, bolt paper can be bought at both the insight and blood echo shop after you've killed Paarl and gotten the spark hunter badge.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Eh, the arcane run isn't as unique as I want it to be and the tools not as powerful as they should be with 90 arcane. I've killed queen yharnam multiple times on previous playthroughs already so not compelled to grind myself to a nub on isz ebrietas or cursed hotdog. Time to poke the moon presence and be done with it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Guess I gotta go back through the woods then. drat. Chance to level though I guess

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

Eh, the arcane run isn't as unique as I want it to be and the tools not as powerful as they should be with 90 arcane. I've killed queen yharnam multiple times on previous playthroughs already so not compelled to grind myself to a nub on isz ebrietas or cursed hotdog. Time to poke the moon presence and be done with it.

ok i lied, i beat them all. i can die murder the moon with calm in my heart

loran darkbeast was a right son of a bitch though, speedy fucker could dodge all my spells

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Beat Orphan of Kos in 13 tries! (14 if you count the 2nd one where I let the kid try because she asked to--she ended up playing hide and seek with the orphan then giggled her head off as he beat her down)

I feel like I've got a pretty good idea of how the fist of gratia works at this point. Basically, if you react quick enough and you can get the punch to land during most (but not all) attack windups, you can interrupt attacks. I think it's filling an invisible meter because sometimes you have to hit them once or twice before they'll stagger, but you can reliably stagger e.g. Orphan out of certain attacks.

I had better runs where I was consistently and cleanly interrupting Orphan, but even in this one you can see it happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGB5lTrTA7w

Now that I've beaten the DLC and base game I finally cracked open the wiki and it looks like I've got Laurence, Martyr Logarius, and the Moon Presence left, which means I'm going to have to beat the game again with claws then switch back to the stake driver after. Oh and also Queen Yharnam.

Let's goooo

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Just FYI about orphan, he's decently reliable about being interrupted by a certain number of hits in succession. Two handed heavy stuff: 2 hits ought to make him stumble. Light stuff 4-5. He does have a combo that doesn't comply with this though, you can probably gun counter it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Whoops! Wrong thread somehow

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 11, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Partner just hit Lady Maria (the boss not our cat). Man this fight is so good and so much better than Malenia!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I hear Return to Yharnham is starting on Sunday? Y'all gonna take part?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of playing BB for the first time and I'm a little confused with the versions. I'm in the US and planning on playing on the PS5.

I see what looks like the base game and a dlc download in the ps store, but I also see there's an EU goty edition. Does the physical disc from the EU work on NA ps5s? It looks cheaper to go that route if possible.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I'm thinking of playing BB for the first time and I'm a little confused with the versions. I'm in the US and planning on playing on the PS5.

I see what looks like the base game and a dlc download in the ps store, but I also see there's an EU goty edition. Does the physical disc from the EU work on NA ps5s? It looks cheaper to go that route if possible.
If you have PS+ it's one of the free titles. DLC is separate iirc, but you can at least try the game.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Return to Yharnam time, baby!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
First couple of days going well. Killed every early boss except Paarl, I'll go back for them. Progressing every quest, and got the Umbilical Cord from the Old Workshop. Took a detour to the cum dungeon to stock up on vials and get a little buff. Like level 50. Just made it to the Nightmare Frontier before calling it a night. Not sure if I can beat Amygdala right now but I'll give it a couple of tries today.

My Dark Souls 2 replay stalled out, but so far this is going much smoother. Just had to get my butt kicked by Gascoigne a bunch to remember to dodge towards enemies in this game. Still iffy on interrupts, but slowly getting better. I always say I'm going to use something besides Kirkhammer, but...I'm using Kirkhammer. Slicin' and pancakin' is too good to resist.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I got a saw cleaver tattoo last month and now I'm doing a saw cleaver run. Made it up to the Woods so far, got the first shortcut, talked to Valtr, popped into Iosefka's for the Cainhurst Summons. I've really surprised myself by easily one-shotting all the bosses so far (Cleric Beast, Papa G, Witches, Amelia) but then those are the easy ones and I just finished Elden Ring prior to starting this run.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hoonting with a saw spear, trying to figure what build I’m going to go with. If I end up playing this run beyond the RETVRN event / character level at which co-op gets cut, I’ll probably do best with the ol arcane blaster build. But that feels too easy at this point

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Well, that went fast.

I tried using the Tonitrus on Amygdala but it was too stubby. After a couple of attempts I switched back to Kirkhammer and just used bolt paper. Didn't even see the third phase lol.

Rode that momentum through the second half of the game and steamrolled everything. Well, except the Shadows of Yharnam fight. Went back in with two NPC summons and another co-op person and that made it more manageable. But then, all the other bosses fell pretty quickly.

My secret FROM shame is that I've only beaten this game once. So, I've barely seen any of the late game areas. Everything up to Amelia I can finish just from muscle memory, but anything after, like, Cainhurst is a little murky. It's been nice to run around and explore them some more. First time getting a weapon to +10, too. Got invaded a few times in Mensis but either I or the invader died before finding each other every time.

The plan for today is to tackle The Old Hunters, which I've never played. Then I'll start in on the Chalice Dungeon grind. Hopefully some of those hacked ones in the OP still work. After that, I'll save scum the three endings and wrap this puppy up. But I'm already planning on starting another character to hang around and get summoned to help people with boss fights.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
About to start Defiled Chalice Dungeon. Let's see how this goes...

Edit- Well, after I farm up some more Ritual Blood(4), I guess. Womp womp.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 28, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Dispatches from the Defiled Chalice Dungeon:

-Managed to find a decent dungeon for farming Ritual Blood(4): pe5imqwh if anyone else sees this. Two bag guys in the first room, and there's a trap tile near the carriages that will spawn two more. Have to clear out some trash mobs, but it's still quick. Went from 2 to the needed 9 in like 20 minutes.

-After a BUNCH of tries, finally downed Keeper of the Old Lords. Got decent enough at countering a couple of her big windup moves, and realized dodging into her when she did the big, two part flame attack was better than away.

-Not even exploring any side areas in layer 2, just running past as much as I can and opening the boss door.

-Currently stuck on Watchdog of the Old Lords. Kirkhammer is my +10 weapon but the doggie is apparently only weak to serrated weapons. Could only bump the saw cleaver thing up to +5 so my damage is still better with the hammer. Even with bolt paper it barely does anything. Breaking the legs helps, of course, but then it throws off my timing because extra lava shoots out. Lowest I've gotten it so far is half health. This will take a while.

-Tomb Prospector Olek is a homie. One time I was able to summon an NPC called "Queen Killer" who only wore the pyramid head looking thing and used the wheel, but I haven't seen him since.

Today, more banging my head against the wall that is Watch Dog. At least until 3pm when the new PoE league starts.

EDIT - Oh I see, you can only summon Queen Killer or Olek, not both. I must have run past the Olek spot once.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 29, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I am complaining on the internet about the stupid Watchdog of the Old Lords.

Used up all my insight items so I have like 3 chances left before I'll have to go farm more. Can't even get it to half health without Queen Killer's help. Had it down to about 20% once but then died to the stupid dive and bite move. My last attempt I got hit by the opening charge, that's when I knew it was time for a break.

Fuckin' hate that dog.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I always choke at hot dog…very difficult dog

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Ugh, yeah, I'm done for the weekend.

Had to go farm some Ritual Blood to make the Isz chalice so I could get the Isz Root chalice to make a dungeon to farm Blood Chunks so that I can upgrade the Saw Cleaver.

Time for a break.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I always choke at hot dog…very difficult dog

God drat it I missed the misterbibs joke

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
This:

Paying2Lurk posted:

-Not even exploring any side areas in layer 2, just running past as much as I can and opening the boss door.

Is why you keep having to farm ritual materials. Each chalice has enough to open the next chalice- assuming you explore everywhere and pick up everything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hot dog sucks but kirkhammer works and going to a shorter range weapon probably won't make it much easier.

focus on just hitting the head, which will eventually break and take more damage for awhile. hammer it or stab it only once per opening, and hang out in front of it where the attacks are the most straightforward and you can just backpedal away from a lot of them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Paying2Lurk posted:

Ugh, yeah, I'm done for the weekend.

Had to go farm some Ritual Blood to make the Isz chalice so I could get the Isz Root chalice to make a dungeon to farm Blood Chunks so that I can upgrade the Saw Cleaver.

Time for a break.
You can always ask one of us to help as well, you know. Yes, sometimes we're dumber than NPC's but only sometimes.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Defiled HotDog is an enormous bastard. It took me so long and I'm stuck on em again on my level 50 capped dude.

Hm, multiplayer is active again I should try summoning a posse.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I am trying for the millionth time to beat Bloodborne and I loaded up my save and I'm in the middle of Old Yharnam being shot at by a big jerk. I actually made it to his little perch and he blasted me to bits with a shotgun. The last big thing I remember doing was beating Vicar Amelia and I'm not sure if I should be here or if I should be somewhere else. Y'all got any pointers?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

apophenium posted:

I am trying for the millionth time to beat Bloodborne and I loaded up my save and I'm in the middle of Old Yharnam being shot at by a big jerk. I actually made it to his little perch and he blasted me to bits with a shotgun. The last big thing I remember doing was beating Vicar Amelia and I'm not sure if I should be here or if I should be somewhere else. Y'all got any pointers?

I usually do Old Yharnam and Hemwick before Amelia so you should be ok in Old Yharnam. As you're getting off the ladder into Djura's gatling perch, quickly lock on to him and shoot him repeatedly until he falls of the roof. Then save and quit and reload the game to bring his loot back up on the roof.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

apophenium posted:

Bringing this over from the PS5 thread.

When you beat the Blood Starved Beast you got a chalice. Chalice Dungeons are a whole separate thing. You don't even need to mess with them to beat the game. BUT there's one that is bugged in the player's favor. That's the "cum dungeon." Called so because the glyph code is cummmfpk. And you only need that first chalice to access it. If you're rolling along and having fun, don't even worry about it. But if you start to get frustrated, consider a trip to the cum dungeon before giving up.

In the Hunter's Dream, go to the tombstones to the left of the doll and lower messenger merchant. You can use any of them except the bottom one which is a weird, special one. You'll have the option to create a dungeon. Choose "Search by glyph" and then enter cummmfpk as the code. Then interact with the tombstone again to warp to the dungeon.

From the starting lamp, just go into the next room and look to the left. You'll see a health bar going down through the wall. Once it hits 0 and whatever it was dies, you'll get 83000 blood echoes. That's it. You can either take the lamp back to the Dream or use a Bold Hunters Mark to revive at the lamp and do it over and over. Hundreds of thousands of souls for doing nothing!

You can bump up your levels a bit, or go nuts and get up to level 100 right away. Or just use run the dungeon once and buy all the blood vials you'll ever need and leave it at that.

Other things that may help:

The Fextra Life game progress route and wiki helped me a lot with my current playthrough. You can just use it as a quick reference, or click on the location names and get a detailed walkthrough of each section. Again, if you're rolling along just keep rollin, but if you get stuck give it a shot before quitting.

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

Still on my weekend hiatus from the game, but I'll get back to it after Easter.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

apophenium posted:

yeah if you beat Amelia, then you have a couple options before you. Hemwick is usually where I go next to unlock runes but you should be fine for Old Yharnam or the Forbidden Woods

at this point getting some levels and weapon upgrades will help smooth out the fighting. get that Vit upgraded

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
This is the most progression I've made in a long time. Took out Djura and the Blood Starved Beast and then the wicked Witch of Hemwick. I was fooling around in someplace and a guy with a bag killed me and now I'm somewhere else. The bag men are very strong.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

apophenium posted:

This is the most progression I've made in a long time. Took out Djura and the Blood Starved Beast and then the wicked Witch of Hemwick. I was fooling around in someplace and a guy with a bag killed me and now I'm somewhere else. The bag men are very strong.

those guys are dicks, I often just avoid them in the early game rather than try to take them on. It's hard to understand how they move and fight because they can and will kill you very quickly

that area is hard at this point in the game, you can just find the lamp and go back to what you were doing before

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
go forth young hunter and find a way out