Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Level Vitality first. That way you will have some time to ponder what weapons you like and pick a direction for your build to go, because Vitality is good for everyone and especially good at the start of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Squiggles Unite posted:

Alright, I got Bloodborne and am going to attempt it for the first time. Literally have never played a Souls game before and while I consider myself to be pretty good at games :jerkbag: I've heard these can be different beasts. Basically, I don't know poo poo and would like some helpful tips to get started. Been reading the thread some and I think I want to try a Strength/Arcane build since it sounds fun. Any advice I can get or good videos/guides to watch/read would be super helpful. I tend to get a bit :spergin: when it comes to games in similar genres.

You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My recommendation is to just do a straight up Str or Skl build for the first go around. Arcane requires a bit of gem farming and doesn't really get going until mid game.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Just play the game, don't read guides and watch videos and ruin it for yourself. BB is super immersive and cool and good and following a wiki is just going to ruin it for you.

e: remember that a hoonter must hoont

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

These answers are all good. Focus str or skl or both, and get vit and end. By the time you will be able to capitalize on some arcane benefits, you will know if you want to or not.

Stumble your way through, get completely owned, keep going. Don't sweat your character progression. If you like this game you'll be making many, many more.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Squiggles Unite posted:

Alright, I got Bloodborne and am going to attempt it for the first time. Literally have never played a Souls game before and while I consider myself to be pretty good at games :jerkbag: I've heard these can be different beasts. Basically, I don't know poo poo and would like some helpful tips to get started. Been reading the thread some and I think I want to try a Strength/Arcane build since it sounds fun. Any advice I can get or good videos/guides to watch/read would be super helpful. I tend to get a bit :spergin: when it comes to games in similar genres.

STR/ARC is a bit rough to start, though very fun. Most people would say do STR/ SKL aka a "quality" build. STR/ARC is only really good with a few weapons, all of which minus a couple late game DLC ones also do great for STR/SKL builds. The real fun with ARC is using all the hunter tools (spells basically). STR/SKL will let you sample the widest range of weapons on your first playthrough.

As for some general tips, I hated BB at first, and finished it out of spite since i had bought the game. I came back over a year later and have a differnt perspective. Learn from some of my mistakes.

-Blood vials suck as a mechanic, and its a pain in the rear end when you run out. Don't go farm enemies for their vial drops, instead go farm some fast blood echoes from bad guys you can get to easily, and then just buy the vials. There are a few places in the game that offer super fast blood echoes when you need them, you can google for them. Also buy vials with leftover echoes before you leave the hub area every time.

- You are going to die and lose your blood echoes. Try not to get frustrated by this. It feels like you wasted time, but leveling is quite incremental in this game. As you progress, bad guys are worth more and more echoes, and you easily make back anything you lost when you get to a new area. You start out stressing about losing 10k echoes, and in later areas you can make that much in about 40 seconds.

- Bosses can be real hard at first, however, as frustrating as it can be, you WILL eventually get better and better at the game. Don't get overly frustrated and don't hesitate to summon help when you are struggling. These games are built to be replayed, don't force yourself to solo every boss on your first run, summon help and keep progressing instead of just beating your head into a pulp on a frustrating boss. The caveat is summoning help gives the boss more health, but for nearly all of them, they are significantly easier with someone else.

- Most bosses have some general strategies that you will learn over time, like dodging to a certain side as a rule, or staying in very close or at mid range. Bosses and other enemies often determine their attacks based on how far away the player is from them. Many will punish you for being too far away.

- Don't stress about armor, people call it "Fashion Souls" for a reason. The exception is enemies that do a poo poo ton of a certain damage type, if a bad guy uses a ton of fire, fire resist is smart to have. if something looks cool, wear it until you keep dying cause someone is setting you on fire and then change.

- When people say "git gud" it can be infuriating. What they normally actually mean is that in general, things like the attack hitboxes and such are very consistent, and when you die, normally you can learn something from it. For example, I was banging my head against a dungeon boss the other day, what eventually worked for me was realizing he was punishing me for being way too aggressive, and I had to really slow down (tough in BB) and take my shots. Once I did that, I may not have set a speedrun record, but I killed him. Or some enemies will get you every time if you just dodge backwards, so you have to change that. There is still bullshit like certain attacks clipping through walls or pillars and poo poo, and every now and then you are just going to get hosed over.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
That's actually some really good advice. I always have an issue with games like this where I have to know EVERYTHING but discovery is half the fun of games like this. So a strength/skill build to start and if I want to I can do some more whacky poo poo later? Sounds good to me! :black101:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you haven't played similar games, you might not know that dodging momentarily makes you invincible in this game, which is very important and means you often want to dodge through attacks instead of away from them

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Well after grinding to Level 104, I nearly broke the Ludwig horse, just face tanking him. Probably going to go back this weekend and finish what I started.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

My piece of advice, coming from another who's only played BB and only knew of souls games by how ~difficult~ they are, is that to some extent you can make the game as hard or easy for yourself as you want.

Specifically I mean, running into a (non boss) enemy who utterly destroys you WILL happen, maybe more than once, and while it's good habit to try and learn from your mistakes and figure out how to deal with that enemy, you're not obligated to defeat everything you come across. Sometimes an enemy just doesn't click with you and you don't want to sit through loading screens for the 17th time learning how to take down, I dunno, the big wolves. It is Totally Okay to just run for it and say "gently caress that guy." (But do try to learn at some point! Learning is good. Since you don't really have this same choice with bosses.)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Put points into VIT first, don't take STR/SKL/BLT/ARC past 25 until you know what you want to do with your build, soft caps for stats are 50 (40 for END). That's all you really need to know. May the good blood guide you.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
Again, very helpful stuff, I appreciate it. One more question, online or offline? I have little to no interest in PvP stuff for this game and don't want some ultra-bad asses invading my game and turning me into paste... bloodstains... whatever... Is there some other benefit to online or is that really it?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Online lets you see messages and stains, which can be useful or amusing, and lets you run chalices without spending materials, which can be profitable. It isn’t strictly necessary, but you don’t need to worry about being invaded either. You can’t be invaded unless you are actively summoning cooperators, except in one optional zone and one short stretch very late in the game. It is very unlikely you will ever see an invader unless you go out of your way to find one.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Online. There are only a couple points where someone can invade you and it is not worth missing out on co-op and fun messages because you might lose ten minutes of progress.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
Right on, sounds good to me. Time to crack open a Monster and crack open some monsters :dance:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Squiggles Unite posted:

Right on, sounds good to me. Time to crack open a Monster and crack open some monsters :dance:

I'm sorry did you mean Doritos and Code Red?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Squiggles Unite posted:

I hate the pvp too. There is like one spot where it happens often. In general, just book it to lamp and fight the person there, if you die you just pick your echoes up and move on.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014

Vargatron posted:

I'm sorry did you mean Doritos and Code Red?

pffffft that's noob stuff. Monster and Hot Cheetos for that HIGH-OCTANE gaming experience. No I don't consider my health, why do you ask? :2bong:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I already killed Rom but wasn't aware Eileen was a thing. I checked all of the locations listed in the wiki and she's not at any of them. Did I just totally miss her then?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sheep posted:

I already killed Rom but wasn't aware Eileen was a thing. I checked all of the locations listed in the wiki and she's not at any of them. Did I just totally miss her then?

Yep, killing Rom is the point of no return for most of the NPC stuff if you haven't done any of it already, sadly.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

But don't feel bad because pretty much no one nails all the npc quests without a guide

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

souls style npc quests are obtuse to the point of absurdity and i have never understood why that needs to be the case.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DS2's quests are fine for the most part. I got most of the NPCs to Majula with no issue and only missed Benhart and Lucatiel. Baffled when they rolled it back into "guide or gtfo" for BB and DS3...

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

souls style npc quests are obtuse to the point of absurdity and i have never understood why that needs to be the case.

Same thing happened to me with Dark Souls 3 as well :sigh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I made it to Blood Level 90 and I think I have to finally cave and put points into VIT. I’m towards the end about to go fight The One Reborn or start the DLC and Everything just kills me in one hit now. I don’t get hit often, but I’m dying more than once every 10 minutes instead of clearing 3-4 bosses in a row without stopping like I’ve been doing.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
A friend of mine is banging his head against Micolash so I picked up a character who was at Gascoigne and speedran all the way up to Wet Nurse in like 3 hours yesterday (minus Cainhurst but including Upper Cathedral Ward plus DLC up to Ludwig), which was insanely fast for me since I usually take my sweet time, and it was also a cool feeling since the first playthrough is so hard but once you've played the game for a while you pretty much skate through the main game no problem.

Gotta post my follow-up to this video tonight or tomorrow, this time on NG+ (or +2, I forget) using HMS instead of LHB :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhJLVcJkCR4

(gently caress, the music in that fight will never ever stop getting to me)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

A friend of mine is banging his head against Micolash so I picked up a character who was at Gascoigne and speedran all the way up to Wet Nurse in like 3 hours yesterday (minus Cainhurst but including Upper Cathedral Ward plus DLC up to Ludwig), which was insanely fast for me since I usually take my sweet time, and it was also a cool feeling since the first playthrough is so hard but once you've played the game for a while you pretty much skate through the main game no problem.

Gotta post my follow-up to this video tonight or tomorrow, this time on NG+ (or +2, I forget) using HMS instead of LHB :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhJLVcJkCR4

(gently caress, the music in that fight will never ever stop getting to me)

The HMS is actually pretty decent against Ludwig, although you absolutely want to untransform it for the second phase when his Arcane resistance goes through the roof (or, y’know, just keep it untransformed for the whole fight). Big smashy weapons with decent reach and sweep will severely inconvenience any boss with breakable body parts.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Darth Walrus posted:

The HMS is actually pretty decent against Ludwig, although you absolutely want to untransform it for the second phase when his Arcane resistance goes through the roof (or, y’know, just keep it untransformed for the whole fight). Big smashy weapons with decent reach and sweep will severely inconvenience any boss with breakable body parts.

lol I went for the ~narrative~ approach and went untransformed for phase 1 and then lit that fucker up for phase 2 so it was HMS vs. HMS. Definitely not as effective but gently caress it, it looks cool as hell and I had fun.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm trying to dress up my guy and I'm trying to remember a set of gauntlets I liked when I first played the game. they're metal and wrapped in chains. I've been looking through set lists online but can't seem to find which I'm thinking of

e. I don't think it's the charred hunter gloves but I could be wrong. I thought I remembered them having runes and poo poo inscribed

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 20, 2018

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Amygdala was hilarious with the burial blade.

A few R2s brought him to 60% and staggered him. Visceral for another 35%. Then just had to hit him a few more times.

Overhead swing OP.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

m.hache posted:

Amygdala was hilarious with the burial blade.

A few R2s brought him to 60% and staggered him. Visceral for another 35%. Then just had to hit him a few more times.

Overhead swing OP.

I beat amygdala using chikage this run and it took two seconds because I accidentally hit it in the face on blood mode, then just tore the thing apart.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Managed to get my character up to 170 going through all those hacked chalices, then decided it was time to hit up some actual main game stuff so paid a visit to vicar Amelia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT6t4K7xkig

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just got to Mergos on my second playthrough. Two questions:

1. How do I start the old hunters dlc
2. Is there a good bugged chalice for blood farming?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Kill Vicar amelia, go back to the dream, there'll be an item on the steps, the 'eye of a blood drunk hunter'. Go to cathederal ward, take the door on the left then head to the right of the courtyard, there was an item there previously, but there's a couple of candles to mark the spot. You'll be picked up by an amygdala, and you're now in the DLC.
All those chalices are great for farming, the smallest trash mob will be dropping 4-5k.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

Kill Vicar amelia, go back to the dream, there'll be an item on the steps, the 'eye of a blood drunk hunter'. Go to cathederal ward, take the door on the left then head to the right of the courtyard, there was an item there previously, but there's a couple of candles to mark the spot. You'll be picked up by an amygdala, and you're now in the DLC.
All those chalices are great for farming, the smallest trash mob will be dropping 4-5k.

I might just respawn the one with the burial blade. You can kill those spiders through the unopened door and the bell ringer keeps spawning them.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

CJacobs posted:

Went out of my way to get this ol' thing as soon as possible on a new character, just to see if I could. It was absolute hell, but very worth it because I get to look at the cosmos for the rest of the game. Making good use of the Iosefka face sliders now that the npc faces are out there!

Where are NPC face sliders?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

uncle w benefits posted:

Where are NPC face sliders?

There are separate videos for the main game NPCs and those found in the DLC on this youtube channel.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
so if you want friendly djura are you not supposed to kill a single monster until you reach him or is it just you cant kill a monster after you beat darkbeast parll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Desperate Character posted:

so if you want friendly djura are you not supposed to kill a single monster until you reach him or is it just you cant kill a monster after you beat darkbeast parll?

Pacifism isn't required, just approach him from the Paarl lantern side of Old Yharnam and he'll be friendly no matter what.

edit: But if you climb down the ladder afterward and kill stuff in his sight he'll go hostile again, so be wary of that.