Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Did they add bell chiming women to the chalice dungeons as a standard enemy? I picked the game up earlier this week again and did the first chalice dungeon you can do after BSB.

I just don't remember them being there at all. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
The ones that summon red spiders, or the ones that actually summon invaders? The former have always been there, the latter shouldn't appear normally I believe.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Must be me not remembering them then. They were just summoning the red skinny pthumerians.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yes, they are pretty common. I'd say one or two of them per dungeon with the occasional clusterfuck room with loads of them summoning spiders.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Finally got past the Descendant. Turned out my problem was trying to actually fight him instead of just taking out my blunderbuss and staggering him. Once I did that I kill him in four moves without getting hit. Jesus wept.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Looks like I need many hundred thousand blood souls to get enough bloodtinge for a decent ranged option.

Watchdog is not fun.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
PSA: be defensive against watchdog and only attack after he misses. Enjoy killing defiled watchdog without getting hit once

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
its technically possible to get a build so detailed that you can survive any attack he makes (if you're at full health)
but really, after a while you have little problem dodging the rush attack anyway
its those flame swipes it likes to randomly pull out after I hit it once, that I had the most trouble with

marshmallow creep posted:

Finally got past the Descendant. Turned out my problem was trying to actually fight him instead of just taking out my blunderbuss and staggering him. Once I did that I kill him in four moves without getting hit. Jesus wept.

I just spammed Augur, prick didnt deserve any better

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

marshmallow creep posted:

You just always have to dodge in his direction (never backwards!) and be aggressive, he'll jump away from you himself, just like grandpa Ptumerian Elder.

The Elder by the way is the funnest boss to fight for that very reason: you beat the crap out of him and he just kindly teleports away to give you a chance to get your stamina back :unsmith:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

DeafNote posted:

its technically possible to get a build so detailed that you can survive any attack he makes (if you're at full health)
but really, after a while you have little problem dodging the rush attack anyway
its those flame swipes it likes to randomly pull out after I hit it once, that I had the most trouble with

If you keep away from him then you have enough time to run around them, and if you attack only his back legs he won't use it. At that point you just need to look for his charge, his big aoe burst, and his tantrum. Luckily the aoe is heavily telegraphed, and the tantrum shouldn't one shot you if you roll away quickly enough. The charge just sucks though, so hope you recognize it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my secret to killing hotdog is to summon the naked guy as a distraction

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

my secret to killing hotdog is to summon the naked guy as a distraction

Yeah, this is a genuinely good idea. If you want to fight him fairly, you can do it in a FRC later on when he’s not locking you out of other cool stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Queen Killer is the true MVP of Bloodborne summons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it sucks you had to take a crazy man to he limits of his sanity and also betray your cool vampire Waifu to get him to that point though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah it sucks you had to take a crazy man to he limits of his sanity and also betray your cool vampire Waifu to get him to that point though.

Eh, she gets better.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Does anyone have that video of some japanese dude destroying one of the Pthumerian X bosses with the stake driver while using the church bow to duck under one of its attacks? I remember seeing it a ways back but can't find it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh yeah I guess he might be intended to be Alfred huh. I guess the name doesn't have to refer to Queen Yharnam. Neat, I hadn't considered that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

goddamn it how did I never make this connection before :doh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly that just makes him even better. Sorry for driving you insane Alfred, I like your blue bodypaint :respek:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Finally got back BB from a friend and decided to do my first Root Chalice (I'm offline, so I really have to WANT it and so far it was :effort:). Also my first time using the Beast Claws. They're pretty swell. I really like how they change a lot of attack you wouldn't think of at first - like the running R2 and the jump attack. And both are really useful! I don't quite know what the L2 does except for knocking back things (if even?), but I'll figure it out or someone tells me.

I also realized something else: the undead giant you fight as the very first chalice boss is so much more easier than the one in Pthumeru 3 because they're not the same boss. I always obliterated the Pthumeru 1 version so quickly that I never made the comparison, especially as they are quite far apart in terms of sheer time. This was the first time I got a better look at one that uses sickles instead of the godforsaken ball-and-chains (and a...club, I guess?). It's a far better fight, but I also understand what people mean with the lightning-fast kick that comes out of nowhere.
This confusion also explains why there was some short disagreement over if he had a gap closer in form of a jump attack or not - the sickle one does, the ball-and-chain one doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihrkDcC6j2E

I recorded the fight because it went super well. If you ask me why I didn't use the Fire Paper: because I might waaaaaste it and my 36 Insight I really need to spend of course!!! Also I thought "this is the practice run anyway" and then I just murdered the dude.

Also:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/920374601959526402

Got the souls some 30 seconds later. That's a surprisingly weak wall eh, godspeed pigger.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Beast Claws L2 does knock enemies back in a surprisingly large AOE, along with a small amount of damage. It's mostly used for quickly charging beasthood, as it raises it quite a lot for each target hit. Slam a huge group with it and you'll gain a fast beasthood boost.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Aren't blue eyed werewolves supposed to drop chunks? I'm 7 runs deep at upper cathedral ward with 308 discovery and haven't got any drops better than twin shards.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

tweet my meat posted:

Aren't blue eyed werewolves supposed to drop chunks? I'm 7 runs deep at upper cathedral ward with 308 discovery and haven't got any drops better than twin shards.

You're not going to start seeing chunks until Cainhurst friend.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 18, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The gargoyles in Cainhurst seem to drop mondo chunks. Equip the eye rune before you head in too. I got three in a row on my str/arc run through and thought that gargoyles all dropped chunks lmao.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ah, I had heard someone say that the blue eyed wolves dropped more than gargoyles, I'll try those instead.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah, it's about a 5% drop rate iirc. Too slow for my liking. I would rather run depth 5 chalices.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah I guess he might be intended to be Alfred huh. I guess the name doesn't have to refer to Queen Yharnam. Neat, I hadn't considered that.

He is also the only other dude in the game with either the wheel or the Golden Ardeo which was my clue.

I really appreciate how the weapons and armor characterize the NPCs in this game. I was in full, Cainhurst armor with ym Chikage and Evelyn so when i finally found and fought the Bloody Crow it was a very surreal sort of "This is exactly what I'm going to become if I let the bloodlust consume me" and it I wouldn't have gotten that neat moment if I'd been wearing different clothes.

Bloodstone Chunk Guy: http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Blood+Stone+Chunk

I definitely leveled up 2-3 weapons in an hour just double checking that i had all the chunks on this list lol but there are a fuckload in the DLC if you havent cleared it on this save yet

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 18, 2017

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I just find it easiest to rush to the end game and then get more chunks in NG+

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Finally beat the drat Hotdog after more than a dozen attempts with Queen Killer. I don’t like to summon help, but I was close to taking another two year break from the game.

Before summoning help, I couldn’t even reliably survive 45 seconds. With the summon, I died under seriously suspicious circumstances that felt unusually cheap for this game whenever the beast hit 1/3 health. There was no obvious attack or change in appearance to connote a phase change in the battle, and seemingly random attacks would kill me at full health when they would normally barely hurt me. The range of attack seemed to go up as well.

Whatever. Glad to be done. Supposedly Defiled Amygdala is even worse, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

the truth posted:

Finally beat the drat Hotdog after more than a dozen attempts with Queen Killer. I don’t like to summon help, but I was close to taking another two year break from the game.

Before summoning help, I couldn’t even reliably survive 45 seconds. With the summon, I died under seriously suspicious circumstances that felt unusually cheap for this game whenever the beast hit 1/3 health. There was no obvious attack or change in appearance to connote a phase change in the battle, and seemingly random attacks would kill me at full health when they would normally barely hurt me. The range of attack seemed to go up as well.

He isn’t. Just shoot him to death, and run in and hack away at his crotch if you’re having trouble with his final phase.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Killing alfred when he gets crazy after killing the queen is really fun. Apparently he has unique dialogue and everything

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s also a super loving amazing rune that you can only get if you kill his crazy self I think

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So is there any consistent method to dodge Ebrietas' charge attack? It seems like a guranteed hit if you're unlucky enough to roll it, and sometimes it seems to hit for double damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I dodge once sideways and then once backwards. the sideways dodge kind of pivots you around it so the backwards dodge gets you out of the way.

Well sometimes. You have to be able to notice the beginning of the tell which is almost nonexistent at that point, and if it charges point blank then I don't know what the gently caress you do. I just try to dodge perpendicular to it when that happens and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So if you're not hitting it from behind then I would stay at a medium distance so you can see it coming, but not too far that it will want to do that attack over others (like the head slams you really want to get). Sometimes I get hit after the second dodge and it instakills me and sometimes the hit doesn't.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just LoL if you don’t spend the entire Ebriatas fight nestled safely in betweeen her butt tentacles

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

the truth posted:

He really wasn't for me, but I have to admit that I got through at least 60% of his health with the Bowblade. Between 800 and 1200 damage for one bullet AND from a safe(-ish) distance made the whole thing pretty easy, especially compared to the dozens of attemps I'd made at Watchdog.

The worst thing is, I was watching Genocyber's LP in-between sessions, for tips and because it's a great LP, and in the last DLC episode she says that she had to try 8 or 9 times to fight Orphan of Kos, making it the hardest boss in the entire series, which really didn't seem like a lot after wondering if I myself had reached attempt #50 on Watchdog...

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 18, 2017

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

There's a boss/miniboss that I can't seem to locate either in-game or in any of the wikis. I don't even remember too much about it other than it's a giant monster that you can see from a distance clinging to the side of a building looking inside and lying in wait to ambush you.

I can't find anything about it anywhere. What is it and where can it be found? Was this a false memory implanted by reptilian zionists? Where can I find this thing? What is it even?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Do you remember anything about what said monster looks like?

Early in the game you can see a werewolf-ish beast clinging to a wall, which falls down to ambush you. Later in the game you can find Amygdalas (spider arm humanoids with big walnut+tentacle heads) clinging to walls, but they don't really ambush you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Time_pants posted:

There's a boss/miniboss that I can't seem to locate either in-game or in any of the wikis. I don't even remember too much about it other than it's a giant monster that you can see from a distance clinging to the side of a building looking inside and lying in wait to ambush you.

I can't find anything about it anywhere. What is it and where can it be found? Was this a false memory implanted by reptilian zionists? Where can I find this thing? What is it even?

Well, there are Amygdalas that you can see in the distance if you have high insight before killing Rom, and then there are a few of those that cling to buildings and shoot lasers at you. Beyond that, all I can imagine is the giant spider in the Nightmare or the horrible lighthouse beam frenzy brain thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

CodfishCartographer posted:

Do you remember anything about what said monster looks like?

Early in the game you can see a werewolf-ish beast clinging to a wall, which falls down to ambush you.

That's the one! It's not like a major encounter or anything like that, though? Huh. I just remembered it from an LP I watched a long time ago and for some reason that stuck out as a much more significant encounter. Oh well. Mystery solved, I suppose!