Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

quality thread title A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Okay that is what I was expecting but I think I got a "locked by device" so I am guessing I was lined up to the wrong thing or something. Very embarrassing! It's easy to get back to that point though. If a boss killed me will I have a bloodstain or will I have to kill the boss for them?

"Locked by a device" and "does not open from this side" are usually the signposts marking a shortcut.

I think you're thinking of a different locked gate than JBP is. I think you're talking about the one between the first brick troll pounding on a door, and that little park with a couple dogs and a patrol with a rifleman. That... actually that does get you to Papa G a little quicker, now that I think about it. But the "intended" shortcut is the one with the elevator. Once you unlock it, the levers call the elevator to them if it's not already there. To actually make the elevator move - most elevators in Souls games - you have to get on it and step on the button in the center. The levers will then respond if necessary.

e: there are npc summons that the note probably referred to, yeah, but you don't need 'em - coop partners increase boss health/defense anyhow

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Different movesets for different folks, I know I've heard people praise the beast cutter. It's got a subtle gimmick in which all of its attacks do blunt damage, so you can squeeze out more damage with +blunt damage gems.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

If you're skl/blt instead of pure skill, you should probably pick up the Chikage. I did the BoM on a skl/arc build and enjoyed them, but they just don't compare to the Burial Blade.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Archenteron posted:

The theory I usually hear is that that guy was Caryll and inscribed the Hunter Rune on you as the contract

Clearly he's that guy from Jamiroquai, he's got the hat.

In all seriousness, the Blood Minister is almost certainly his own dude - he's not Gehrman or Caryll or anyone else. The full bloodborne script datamined recently includes cut dialogue. The Blood Minister's got a ton of it on page 13. Then again, it's clear at least some of it was cut for a reason - he references the "awakening of Ebrietas" in a way that implies she was more important, and the "dank, sweet mud" sounds like an earlier draft of the plot.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

here's the secret strategy for every soulsborne enemy at least twice your size: shove your face into its butt and hack away at that sweet, sweet beast rear end

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

Unless that rear end is just lava.

truly the most devious boss from software has ever designed

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ludwig? orphan? artorias? nameless king? nothing compares to making GBS threads lava

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

new kind of cat posted:

my issue with the emotes is that they can be motion activated if you're holding X.

the only time this ever seems to happen to me though, is when trying to talk to an NPC (looking at you, Doll...) or occasionally when picking something up.

I jiggle my leg when I'm excited. many times I have been running to my bloodstain in a boss arena, slamming X to pick it up, not realized I've got the controller resting on my knees, and my character cheers in joyful anticipation of picking up his poo poo before getting squished

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

What does a dog head add to a bird? What does a bird head add to a dog?

Also Micolash you weiner stop running

science the nightmare isn't about why, it's about why not!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

kos parasite without the milkweed rune :v:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

verbal enema posted:

edit part 2 return of edit: is Vicar Amelia singing a hymn before you go into the fog wtf

"Our thirst for blood satiates us, soothes our fears. Seek the old blood, but beware the frailty of men. Their wills are weak, minds young.
The foul beasts will dangle nectar and lure the meek into the depths. Remain wary of the frailty of men. Their wills are weak, minds young. Were it not for fear, death would go unlamented.
Seek the old blood. Let us pray, let us wish to partake in communion. Let us partake in communion and feast upon the old blood."

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

one of the more clever subtleties is how the blood moon is very clearly closer than the clouds are. “the moon hangs low” is literal

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zeerust posted:

Where's the lore for this, again? Is this one of those things that was theorised then basically accepted as common knowledge?

that rom is blocking the mensis ritual in some nebulous sense is, as has been mentioned, said in a couple of notes about the "byrgenwerth spider." some info also comes with an interview with miyazaki in... the future press guide, I think? - in which he specifies she is/was a woman

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Well regardless of the lore, that man of Mensis with the cage on his head, HE DIED. I went into it totally blind and what a weird fight. Very easy, I guess I was running around a nightmare. I felt stuck a few times but just kept chasing him. Dude what an amazingly detailed castle. I think the room where you inspect the body and get transported to the nightmare is the coolest, with all those other cage-wearing people sitting about. He kept mentioning Kos. That must be a great one? Also, who was that guy I killed on the bridge? I want to wonder if it was Lawrence? Didn’t he split off from Wilem and start a different branch of things like the mensis?

you saw all the in-game facts about the guy you killed, ie. there aren't any. official guide calls him "Edgar, Choir Intelligencer." keep playing, especially the DLC.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Do invaders have a distinct color or name over their head? In the first of those specific places where you’re forced into pvp for a short bit, a hunter came running at me from god knows where (I hadn’t walked forward into a new area) and was pretty hard to fight but I still trashed them with the saw spear and parrying. I figured it’s probably just an NPC though.

they have a subtle red tinge and a name over their head, it's hard to miss. if you're talking nightmare frontier, there's an npc hunter there, yeah

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Carpator Diei posted:

That restoration of the cut Chalice Dungeon beast boss is now actually playable as a mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUwBL8XDscQ

Kinda impressive what can be accomplished with a half-finished model and a few repurposed effects.

holy poo poo that looks good

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I blacksky eye'd that awful thing into oblivion and I have no regrets

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s still cheating it’s not supposed to be a foolproof plan lol. Reddit calls this the “Coward’s Cage” for a reason ha ha (we’ve all done it)

i have not because i am not a blood-drunk yellow-bellied mockery of a hunter :colbert:

skasion posted:

They definitely figured it out before DS3 if so

they did cut all the half-finished Ceremony world-state stuff though

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BurningBeard posted:

He tends to play wasted so I’m not shocked he missed it.

there is a certain potency in wiping away as much of one's mind as possible, to better be one with the controller. namaste :weed:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

why are they called winter lanterns

their japanese name is "hozuki," a particular type of flower. english names include "winter cherry" and "Japanese lantern." winter lantern is a combination of those

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

a related video gave me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0oSWa_KoY

assuming it's not just that they're blind or stop moving when you do or something like that, it looks like the make contact gesture makes them stop moving and trying to grab you??

christ, this video was posted in 2017 and yet somehow I've never heard of this obscure mechanic. that's really neat. loving fromsoft

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

is there any other game for which "cranky wheelchair guy," "tentacle thing," and "screaming orphan" are 100% accurate descriptions of bosses

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

pouring out a blood vial to the memory of Papa G. having a normal time beating up the Baby-Protecting Cuisinart. a moment of silence for having to put down Mr. Ed, But From Hell

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

visiting Nicolas Cage But Somehow Even More Insane for a study session. petting my giant antlered dog that shits lava. going about my daily chore of collecting bloody semen from the corpses of my foes in order to achieve apotheosis

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ASenileAnimal posted:

wheelchair guy and tentacle thing

just to be 100% precise: you ate three umbilical cords and fought the moon presence, instead of it just hugging you in a cutscene? well done in any case! now go finish the dlc :unsmigghh:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

shrike82 posted:

got into bloodborne after finishing my 1st soulsborne - the DS remake on the PS5.
i just finished up Rom and am wondering if I should get the DLC - I've read that it's heavy on hunter v hunter combat which I find painful (the Choir hunter at Byrgenwerth). Is the DLC worth getting?

also, when's a good time to go to Cainhurst Castle? reading it up on it makes it sound pretty tough - I'm currently BL62 and have been switching between the cane and ludwig's sword

the dlc is extremely, incredibly worth getting. it's balanced for the late game so right now it would probably be a slog but it's so god-drat good. if you intend on finishing the game get it before then.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

verbal enema posted:

angelic Ebrietas?

god drat this stuff owns. anything in there about the lake of mud or the early version of moon presence?

also seeing ebrietas in that pose really makes me think of ds3's pilgrim butterflies

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Speaking of, is DS2 gonna be fun after playing, in this order, Sekiro (unfinished), DSR(unfinished), BB (unfinished), DS3(to completion), Sekiro(to completion), BB(to completion), DSR(to completion)?

yes. it's the worst one but it's simultaneously still a really good game. if you were able to go from the later games to dark souls remastered without going insane from losing changes to later games, I expect you'll have a ball. caveat: I haven't played scholar of the first sin so idk if the rejiggered enemy placements and stuff are fun for first-timers

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ds2 also has one of the better "ohhh" fridge moments when you realize that the last giant only freaks the gently caress out when he sees you, and not before, because he recognizes you

Febreeze posted:

I beat Bloodborne, Ds1R, ds3, and Sekiro in that order and am now doing ds2 SOTFS

I mean, its more souls. It scratches that itch the same. It has weird unique issues same as any of the others and does things I like more than the others. I don't really get the people who call it the worst one. Seems about on par with the other two for me.

let me tell u about a certain elevator...

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Flint_Paper posted:

Is there any lore significance/chat about the statue in the old hunter workshop looking at the inanimate doll? It's looking straight at it! Someone must have written something about it, even if it's just "Huh!"

never noticed. is it present in the dream as well?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

nothin' at all

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

verbal enema posted:

yo gently caress ludwig wtf

mike pence???

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Ebrietas is made difficult by the fact that she has a bugged hit box on one of her sides that makes her impossible to avoid taking hits from if you’re up against her on that side

https://twitter.com/meowmaritus/status/1216246819593867264?s=21

VINDICATIOOOOOOON

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I used blacksky eye to take down defiled amy with minimal fuss and I do not regret it a bit

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Chalupa Joe posted:

So uh... how do I have a game where Djura is friendly, and I haven't beaten Paarl?

have you seen paarl? I have no personal knowledge of the triggers but that was given as a possible condition

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

don't think too hard about all of this. just go out and kill a few landlords. it's just what maoists do! you'll get used to it...

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Um, so. Hypogean Gaol. I thought it was pretty creepy my first run through even with spoilers. But this game keeps topping my expectations wrt atmosphere cause coming back and having it be an entire new dungeon is an entirely new kind of unsettling for this series, especially with the corpses of the guys who hosed your day up at least once to even gain access to it lying around.

I choose to believe that the chanting is diegetic and your character is actually hearing the BUHHHHHs while murdering getting murdered by cramped coffins

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sigher posted:

Big lol at that intro text saying "The use of software emulation is not allowed." There isn't even a PS4 emulator yet that can boot the game and not allowed by who? lol

self-imposed restriction. the dude does a shitload of this kind of stuff with many games - he's the guy who found that nier: automata skip to the end credits a couple months ago. part of the concept is that he goes beyond just pulling out data and going through the file structure, and shows as much as he can in-game. his youtube channel is really good

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

took me forever to understand the little wordplay that they're not shadows of Yharnam the town, they're shadows, as in attendants, of Yharnam the queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Oscar Wild posted:

Is the cum chalice in the OP because, well, I'm getting some interesting Google ads.

the glyph is "cummmfpk," which is easy to remember since that's the sound i make when i drink it