Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's all dreamlands and dream logic governs the geography. There are a million things that don't make sense that show it can't be reality. Clouds behind the moon. Old yharnam is still burning. A man asks for a password but when the door opens, he's dead as poo poo.

Again, it's fine to not like the way they choose to tell a story. But to think they could do better is missing the point. They are specifically writing stories that are floaty and obtuse and incoherent. Wanting it to be clearer is wanting it to be something that the creators specifically did NOT want it to be.

I was (and still am) a huge fan of the King's Field games back in the day. In the one that got called King's Field 2 in the US, from the starting area, they made the very far away place of the game's endgame part of the game's skybox in that one spot and it's consistent with the map you get and everything. That's a really cool touch.

I remember people playing Dark Souls when it came out and being in awe how you could look down from a precipice and see an area that is pretty far away in game terms and how all the places are geographically consistent with each other. That's a cool extra detail but people really took it to heart.

Somewhere between that and Dark Souls II coming out all of the areas being geographically consistent with each other transformed from a really cool extra detail that added to the atmosphere to being some people's line in the sand as to whether or not a game is good. So I was really glad that an explicit part of both Dark Souls III's and Bloodborne's stories is "poo poo's messed up and blurred, deal with it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I've been playing DS2 and my mind was blown when I entered Dragon Sanctum and realized that not only can you see the little area down at the bottom where the shallow lake is, but the enemies are actually rendered and you can see the monster T-rexes walking around, from the very beginning of the entire area. :aaaaa:

FromSoftware is awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

e: I'm not even underlevelled! I panic and explore a lot, so at this point (haven't yet beat whatever boss is in the Mensis area) I'm like level 79; my main three weapons are a +9 Saw Cleaver, a +8 Tonitrus, and my new baby, a +7 Amygdalan Arm (which is going to replace the Saw Cleaver once I get a little more chunks/gems). I can't fuckin' take out the little Meeseeks fast enough to do enough damage to the big guy, and every time I read a post on Reddit saying "oh using a +8 tonitrus i can take him out before he even transforms" I die just a little more.

Just don't get cocky, it's really easy but you still want to run faaaaaar away from it for a while to separate it from the little guys so you can kill a bunch of them off, run in and hit it a few times, then repeat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

All that aside, I'm trying to fight Martyr Logarius, and while the fight seems pretty good, I can't seem to beat him. His attacks do massive damage when they hit, and I've only managed to get him down to half-health on one attempt. I'll probably try to summon someone in to help, but at the moment, I'm trying to figure out what he's weak to, and what I could equip do reduce damage.

I think what trips people up with this fight is how his behavior and attributes change as the fight goes on, you have to keep an eye out for his moves changing up and plan accordingly.

This fight has three phases so check this out, during the first phase you can parry just about everything he does pretty easily and even interrupt a lot of his attacks by just being aggressive. Everything he does looks all-powerful but don't let that deter you. He mostly will try to get back from you and use magic attacks. If you're in his face for too long he summons that area of effect big red skull, but you can avoid it completely by dodging towards his right, you want to dodge towards his right in general throughout the fight.

For the second part when his life gets lower he buffs himself and that makes him less stunnable and so you can basically never interrupt his attacks so you have to be much less greedy with how many attacks you try to get in on him at once. But you CAN still parry him and this is what I would go for the most. This can be pretty amazing since you can parry him when he swoops at you from the air in the final phase. :black101:

However since you've tried the fight a few times, when he's buffing himself if you're quick you can do a charged heavy attack at his back and get a visceral attack in. If you do it in time he doesn't actually get the buff so you can interrupt away. :D

Either way when he starts charging himself up his defense drops a bit so at least hit him a lot.

You can also stop him from ever attempting the buff at all by going for a hit and run approach. Stand just outside the arc of his swing and go in for a couple of hits, dodge, repeat. During the first phase of the fight ALWAYS dodge towards his right. The sweet spot to parry these is when he raises the scythe up to attack, right when it's at the peak before he starts swinging/stabbing it at you.

He also has a move where he drives a sword into the ground to do bad magical stuff to you, when he does this you can run up to the sword and attack it to stop this from happening.

The third phase he has all his phase II movies and can also fly around a bit and swoop towards you or drop on you suddenly. Just keep an eye on him and dodge right before he hits the ground, get a few hits in, etc. Here it's a little better to avoid him so he tries to fly at you often, since once the timing for it clicks it's a lot easier to avoid than it looks. If you're gutsy parry him while doing this because it's awesome. :D

He's a magic dude despite how physically aggressive he gets as the fight goes on, so he's very strong against fire, arcane, AND lightning. Plus his attacks are quick, so don't bother with heavier weapons or any magical buffs, just use whatever regular stuff you have for as much straight physical damage as possible. Like if you're rolling with the kirkhammer use the sword mode instead of the hammer, etc.

This was a boss I didn't have much trouble with myself (I'm weird in that the reputably harder bosses in From's games tend to not be too bad for me but reputably easier ones destroy me forever) but many people consider it one of the hardest fights in the base game so don't get frustrated if it doesn't click with you, especially when the game was new he was a brick wall for a lot of players.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 15, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Now I refilled my blood vials, unlocked the elevator shortcut and got the Tonitrus. What's the deal with it? It's "trick" is becoming electrified, which sounds pretty sweet, but it has no cost. Doesn't deplete my bullets, doesn't drain my health, is that it, I just get a damage boost for free?

The only drawback is it drains the Tonitrus' durability much faster.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I was so excited for the cannon i immediately got it up to +6 and then it took 12 bullets to use life is pain

U-DO Burger posted:

Blood bullets, visceral bullet recovery rune and increased bullet capacity rune my friend. I was able to get 4 shots out of it against defiled amy.

If you have a disk from the first run and don't install the patch it only takes 10 by default. :getin:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Len posted:

Someone explain chalice dungeons to me because they seem incredibly unfun

You can totally skip them.

What they offer:

Procedurally generated dungeons - though there are lots of pre-set ones depending on which type of dungeon you're doing - that are more like King's Field areas in their design.

If you're in a dungeon crawler mindset, the design of them is very reminiscent of areas in King's Field 3, even the sarcophagus you can find in each is the exact same one you find in hidden areas throughout King's Field 3.

The deepest level in each one will have some rare crafting stuff in it if you care about that.

You'll encounter several unique bosses as well as new versions of ones you fight in the main game.

You can also find "uncanny" and "lost" weapons. These are the same as their regular equivalent that you can find in the game except their upgrade slots differ a little.

If you look online, people have passwords/etc. for specific dungeon layouts, so if you do care about getting certain items you can usually have the game create a dungeon that's guaranteed to have it.

They're a nice change of pace in a way, if you hit a brick wall at a point in the main game you can pop into them if you want to grind and never really get sick of the areas in the game proper. I love them but never even came close to finishing them for a long time. Fortunately you can completely skip them if they're not your thing.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 29, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I don't really think Soulsborne stuff could be adapted into other media.

I have been devoted to FromSoftware fantasy games since King's Field 1 but I'd say this is a stretch. Good dark and horror fantasy stuff has existed since long before even King's Field 1 came out, otherwise Soulsborne wouldn't exist.

Len posted:

So basically continue throwing myself at the brick wall until I get lucky. I love everything about these games except for the bosses. They look cool and all but I'm bad at games and just want to see the game. Ive been standing around wasting insight to try and get a group for her and all it does is waste my limited resource when I get bored after waiting 5+ minutes

To make it easier and less about luck, stay close to her. Note how she's holding the amulet in one hand the entire fight. Whenever she starts to do anything, dodge *towards* her free arm as she's taking a swing at you. Forget trying to hit her head, what you want to do is attack a bit til she starts to do something, when that happens you want to dodge so that you're near her back and attack her hindlegs. That's her weak point. When you attack one of her legs enough she falls over. At that point you can run back up to her head and do a visceral attack (just tap R1 while facing her head) for huge damage.

You don't have to fully memorize everything about her attacks, just note that her wind up/the way she raises her claws, is actually a different animation for every attack she does. What you want to do is just know when she's about to either try to grab you or pound/scrape the ground (both of these involve her raising both arms up in the air) as these are the only ones that can really mess you up if you're having trouble with her.

Between that and using the numbing mist to keep her from being able to heal she's not too bad, but don't hesitate to try to get some help either. She was definitely a brick wall boss for me too.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 29, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I really really like the Tontritus right now. It's trick being even more bolty is cool to me and it's easy since it's only one move set. Also I get to run around like an rear end in a top hat.

After that I mean the Saw Cleaver is amazing. I have only messed with the Kirkhammer and Ludwig's Blade. I love both of them but kind of lean toward the Hammer for style points because come on now.

The Flamesprayer is also fun to run around incinerating the starting area :black101:

You can take the tonitrus through to the end of the game if it's a new game. When it's electrified its durability goes down faster but other than that it owns.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I've been playing through this again and I'm still periodically gobsmacked by how beautiful it looks despite the general jank still in the game and the obvious "wait, we're releasing WHEN?!" shortcuts like everyone hiding behind doors and stuff. it's one of my favorite looking games ever and I still notice cool details in the world design and how well everything in the game complements everything else in the game.

The worst clipping/jank thing is those drat pigs though. It's not just that the turn on a dime, but that they'll sometimes not appear on screen until they're literally in your face even though you can hear them navigating the scenery and coming at you. You can see that regularly with the one in Yahar'gul.

I don't know if I'd even care if the animation never improved though, maybe just the animation of the enemies when they get killed or have different death animations depending on the type of weapon used and stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Great Metal Jesus posted:

The Amygdala fight is confusing and disorienting. And then it enters phase three :stare::stare:

It got me with a well placed jump in the end but that sure was something, alright.

Here's a trick for the third phase, when it jumps, it ALWAYS jumps forward, so run towards it or try to hang towards its back more for the final phase and the jump attack will never hit you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

thumper57 posted:

Does anyone else find giant pigs to be generally kind of... off theme?

I mean, people gotta eat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Rom fight in particular and Rom's/the spider's behavior is made much more amazing because of the music.

Rom was just trying to chill out and you rolled in at 1m30s and murdered her and her kids. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zxEOIRQwd4

I really appreciate that Sony went actual full orchestra+choir for this one because it really does add a lot and, more importantly, some of the light influence of the industrial sorta stuff they used in Otogi is prevalent which was interesting because they sort of went away from that for the Dark Souls games but were good enough to realize Bloodborne is way more intense and closer to the more horror-ish feel of their older games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoObrIGHO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3SJw6jutaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0UqdEDJSW8

The Otogis are more pure action games but they have a similar dreamy use of space/nightmare space to Bloodborne. Both of their soundtracks are must-listens imo.

Like I can't fuckin' believe good FromSoftware's fantasy games have always been from the get go.

I feel like their stuff really deserves like a Mega Man or SNK 40th Anniversary thing so people can play all these games again with all the artwork/music/etc. included and context for how awesome they are and why.

But Bloodborne is like next level, it's a genuine achievement with how off gross and violent everything sounds even when it's not being bombastic.

It's more of a typical fantasy thing but the soundtrack for Evergrace 2/Forever Kingdom is nuts for the type of game and budget they were working with.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 6, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

I mean, they're also the company that made Echo Night, Evergrace, and that awful Eternal Ring game. From what I hear, Kuon wasn't too good either. Miyazaki's games have always been stupidly good to an unfair degree, but From has released its fair share of total clunkers.

IMO Echo Night Beyond fuckin' owns and the first two Echo Nights+Eternal Ring+Evergrace are fine. Kuon fuckin' rules too because it's a clone of Resident Evil 2 but you choose to play as one of two (three later on) exorcists in feudal Japan that fight by summoning small spirits instead of which physical weapons.

Eternal Ring is the most basic game they've ever made but sort of interesting because of its regular use of rings which would become important in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and also how it tried to have small towns and things so it wasn't quite as frontiersy as King's Field (and also huffing different colored grasses to restore health :D ). Eternal Ring, King's Field 4, Otogi, and Shadow Tower all have some cool things that Demon's Souls is like a perfect mixture of from each of them.

They've absolutely had some clunkers too but all of their fantasy games have at least something cool about them. Hell the original King's Field is a real time 3D first person game, it might actually be the first one ever made and IIRC was the very first PlayStation game. Then the first King's Field we got in the US is a real time 3D first person game with room over room/etc. that also predates Quake. And those soundtracks :perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLmRB-JSTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I34io5wf5kk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzDjI2skYk0

I don't mind Shadow Tower and on not having music but holy poo poo I want to glimpse the timeline where Bloodborne caliber music is playing through the whole of Bloodborne instead of just for bosses and Yahar'gul.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 6, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Just worked my way through Cainhurst Castle. It was a nice diversion into a different kind of creepy from the rest of the game. I beat Logarius on my first try. His scythe attack has a really long wind up and is insanely easy to parry. Then I helped Alfred complete his quest and he...seems kind of like a crazy dick, honestly.

Lore question: What the hell is up with the Shadows of Yharnam? I can piece together enough about the other bosses and locations to be satisfied but they don't seem to be tied to Yharnam or Byrgenwerth in any real way. If you leave your woods alone for long enough does a snake god just move into town and then you get cultists?

It makes slightly more sense if you beat the DLC and also plumb the depths of the Chalice Dungeons, but even then it's never explained outright, just some subtle things that let your speculate.

Note that it's Shadow of Yharnam, singular:

The snakes are a super common enemy throughout the Forbidden Woods of course. There's an obvious parallel there with a wooded area with snakes and forbidden knowledge in it (especially for something in a fantasy Victorian kind of setting) that's more animalistic (I dare say, beastly?) than the highfalutin way many of your items are described or the stodgy design of the academy. You know where else snakes pop up a lot in the game? At the very very very lowest depth of the final Chalice Dungeon! You'll be interested to look up and see who else you find at the very end of that whole thing. And guess what, later in the game you'll be in an area with Nightmare in the name (there's a few of these but this one is required to progress). Towards the end of it you'll run into the Shadow of Yharnam yet again while exploring, and they're much easier to deal with of course as you'll be way more powerful. Not long after you run into a manifestation of Yharnam herself!

Now, at the end of the DLC, the final boss of it is the Orphan of Kos, a confused infant Great One. Once you kill its body, you'll see a shadow of it near the body of its mother that you must also attack, so there's this association set up throughout the game in general like with the multiple Amygdalas and so on of the Great Ones typically not being really "killable," you can kill the physical body but there's an eternal presence that will come about again physically eventually. With Yharnam, her and her people, the Pthumerians, are technically long dead or undead mindless creatures, but if there's thing you learn after playing through the game it's that Yharnam casts basically the largest shadow in existence after what she went through and what her people did in general.

Now most importantly to bring it home, when you kill the Shadow of Yharnam you automatically get the Blood Rapture Rune, check out the description on it:

Bloodborne posted:

A Caryll rune that transcribes inhuman sounds. "Blood Rapture" is the raw euphoria of the warmth of blood. Restores HP with visceral attacks, one of the darker hunter techniques.
This rune resonates with servants of the Queen, carrier of the Child of Blood, who yearn for their Queen's blood with little hope of requitement.
For them, they find solace in "Blood Rapture," that serves as a surrogate for their desires.

So it's right there in the name, Shadow of Yharnam is both literal and metaphorical at the same time, and refers both to the blood-addled city of the same name as well as the actual Pthumerian Queen named Yharnam.

I loved Cainhurst too, they did such a great job making that place feel, like existentially far away from the rest of the game but not at the same time. Great area and Logarius is a cool boss fight. I love that you can parry his dramatic diving attack thing too. Like you wouldn't think you could but if you happen to do it you feel like a god.

EDIT:

I'm sure you know already, but just in case, you can tap square on any item in any part of your inventory to get a more verbose lore description of it instead of just the basic "gives +3 attack or whatever." There's a lot of cool things you can pick up on by doing that and a lot of the back story is intentionally fractured across these, it's crazy ambitious honestly how well all of it fits together. It really does get its themes and story across in a way that only a video game can do, with some offhand thing you pick up just happening to make some chunk of the story you may have not even realized was a chunk of the story click and come together.

Something I never knew about Bloodborne until very recently, when you fight the Witch of Hemwick boss, she summons these like tall ghostly women to slowly stalk around and slice at you. If you happen to have zero insight when confronting her, she can't do this. That's an unlikely event since you may not get killed by her, and then spend the insight you get from first encountering her before fighting her again, but it's an incredible level of consistency.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 7, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Amelia doesn't get additional dialogue at higher insight but everyone thought she did for a couple of months after the gane came out and it was definitely considered officially true for awhile since some mainstream sources would mention it based on the Wikis+message board rumblings.

I forget the origin of this but in general people were picking up on every little thing like it was due to their insight level. People briefly thought the same about the Cleric Beast too, the assumption wasn't just for Vicar Amelia but for any boss that was ostensibly once a human being.

A lot of stuff like that or the folks saying they hear babies crying everywhere was a mix of how a baby or crying can be heard at some points in some the game combined with folks mishearing the sounds the Messengers or some unalerted enemies make.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 7, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Game might have glitched out and continued playing her chanting loop even after the fight begins idk. I've had similar glitches happen.

This is very likely, especially before the first patch which fixed a lot of weird issues.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Beware though, there's some industrial grade fart sniffing, don't just take everything everyone says as gospel, thats why i like Vaati, he rarely editorializes and just refers directly to in game texts when making guesses.

Yeah I was going to mention, there's a lot of good stuff but the Fextralife and other Wiki lore sections kind of just dump everything together and copy/past everything across each other so they get pretty out there. Fextralife especially, was made very shortly after the game came out so a lot of its lore information is written in terms of "how does this connect to the plot of Dark Souls." Like the link to the Lore page itself is fine but I wouldn't bother reading the specific lore pages for individual enemies and items and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 8, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Welp, such high concentrations of Bloodborne took their toll and I had a nightmare of me running through a graveyard and shrieking/laughing. Thanks Fromsoft

Descpicable nightmare, therefore remember fear the old blood.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 8, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rom is a cool spider lady and was stopping the world from ending by chilling out in a lake with her spider babies and growing tons of flowers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I got the impression that Ebrietas was never actually moved from where she was found in the labyrinth/chalice dungeons due to how far those elevators go and the cavernous area she's in. One theory is that she was "left behind" by the Pthumerians, and that she was a one in a million like the player character and was a Pthumerian who was straight up reborn (or....BLOODBORNE :haw: ) as an Actual Real Deal Great One instead of being an ascended Kin kind of person like Rom.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 11, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I keep starting a game and missing stuff like an idiot, like forgetting the chapel attendant is benevolent and destroying her, like an idiot, or somehow missing the Henryk fight.

I've played this game thoroughly like five times and I've never finished Eileen's quest because Henryk always manages to stunlock and destroy her quickly no matter what I do. :/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Do you guys not just backstab Henryk over and over because he’s focused on Eileen?

Whenever I do this he never seems to stay focused on her or they move in such a way that I whiff or, hilariously, I end up damaging Eileen instead (even with the untransformed Saw Cleaver which is relatively fast).

skasion posted:

Eileen is no help at all in that fight, if anything she gets in the way. You have to be able to solo Henryk pretty much

Yeah I guess I keep going there too early, I keep forgetting how weak she is/how tough Henryk is at that point though lol

Whenever I play through it again I'll just put off going back there until I can steamroll him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm not looking for a sequel to bloodborne specifically but i want so badly for there to be another From game with trick weapons, the regain system, and something akin to chalice dungeons

I still dream of Cyberpunkborne.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If I have a save from a disc copy of Bloodborne which came with the dlc and I have downloaded the PS Plus version, am I locked out of using the DLC with the PS Plus version unless its bought again as a separate purchase?

There was a couple different complete/GOTY/whatever releases of Bloodborne over the years so the answer is...most likely. Go to your library and pull up the entry for Bloodborne, scroll down and select the PlayStation Store and go to "Your Add-Ons," ideally you see the Old Hunters DLC listed there because if that's the case you're good to go.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Literally just Rune Factory straight up but you're the Emissary managing the Choir/hanging out with Ebrietas in the Upper Cathedral Ward.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Does anyone have an actual theory for what a the game-described Undead Darkbeasts actually are or what their deal really is? Like there's Darkbeast Paarl and there's the cannibal beggar guy that turns into one too. So like they're like, beasts, that are undead, they're basically hairy skeletons, and huge, and can look like regular humans if need be. And are all about electricity constantly coursing through their body and can shoot electricity at folks.

Like, what? They have beast in the name but they feel so disconnected from everything else in the game. They feel like leftovers like the unused bosses that are more Dark Souls-ish than the direction that the rest of the game goes in. But like how does one go from, say, getting the beast plague to becoming an UNDEAD DARKBEAST instead of just, like, whatever else.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 18, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I have mixed feelings cus I heard the BB card game was good, but the Dark Souls board game was bad.

I can confirm this on both counts. The Bloodborne card game owns and is fast and fun, the Dark Souls board game isn't horrible but it's not particularly better than other games where you add tiles to the world as you go and it's insanely expensive for what it is.

Also much like Bloodborne the video game, Bloodborne the card game has an expansion subtitled The Old Hunters that adds a ton of stuff and makes the game better, I'd recommend getting it with the card game by default. Keep an eye on them on Amazon as they're often significantly discounted.

Going the other way, there's a Dark Souls card game also but I don't know anything about it.

Steve Yun posted:

Just wanna fanboy about how visually interesting most of the boss monsters are.

I love that Vicar Amelia’s bonnet turns into a blindfold in monster mode and her robes turn into a scarf. I love the deer antlers and wolf teeth. I love the wild shaggy hair that seems to defy gravity

I love that Blood Starved Beast has flaps of flayed flesh from its back that are hanging on by the head and it looks like big floppy dumbo ears

I love that Paarl’s own electricity illuminated its face when it jumped at me, making me audibly go “whoa!” when I saw its crazy mug light up right up in my face

Ebrietas as I mentioned before has legs that look like a robe and features that look like a head of hair and angel wings and is meant to invoke an angel crying on its knees... until it turns around and you get a horrifying visage of a split head with plant features inside

I love that the Orphan is born in front of you so you think it will be babyish but instead it looks like an old man

What a sense humor these guys have

gently caress yes.

I love that it's all flayed flesh but on this playthrough and looking at all the in-game lore stuff I realize, it's also totally meant to evoke the cloth that would typically get covered in blood while doing the chalice rituals/etc. on the altar there and in the grand cathedral and other places. :aaaaa: That's like, PERFECT.

OH!!! Also so like, even on the Cleric Beast, it subtly is sort of plant-like, check out its legs, they're sort of branchy and have flowers on them. Then when you fight Vicar Amelia, like you barely see it unless you look up but above/behind the alter there's a headless statue of a woman with a tree growing behind it. And like once you clear the Upper Cathedral Ward this alter is like directly in between the flower garden where you fight the Emissary and the other alter where you fight Ebrietas, that fuckin' rules.

One other thing, a couple of pages ago some of us were talking about the snakes in the Forbidden Forest+the lowest parts of the Chalice Dungeons and I had read this somewhere but had forgotten at the time but doublechecked now. The reason is because originally there was going to be another great one, basically a gigantic version of the mutated giant snakeball enemy you find a bunch of there. This boss was replaced with the Shadow of Yarnham but there is one other indication of it in the game. When you're in the tower part itself of the Astral Clocktower you can see what was meant to be its rune among the others. :aaaaa:

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

This might be text in the game somewhere, but I get the impression the "undead" part is connected to the electricity part; that is, it's about the reanimating powers of electrical energy re: the nervous system and poo poo, which is setting-appropriate as gently caress. Maybe something about beasthood makes it easier to electrocute dead ones back to life than animals or people? Bloodborne's spin on Frankenstein, in the way that Cainhurst and the Vilebloods have a strong Dracula vibe/theme without necessarily literally being vampires (any moreso than anybody else in this game about blood healing, anyway).

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

And as for their ability to turn into humans (re: the Beggar), I just assumed that's because that guy was a formerly-human beast. We know that at least one person - the player character - has the ability to partially control and manipulate their own beasthood and use the transformation to their advantage without losing their physical humanity, I don't see why it's unreasonable that other people might be able to do the same thing if they're sufficiently strong of will or whatever.

That all makes sense. I had thought of it being evocative of Frankenstein like the Vilebloods having a Dracula thing going too, but also the way the Tonitrus/etc. are described makes it sound like the "undead darkbeasts" are a naturally occurring thing rather than the result of them resurrecting folks. Buuuut like with Demon's Souls and the rest it's also possible since this isn't super plot vital stuff that the translation is a little off or some more license was taken with it than typical.

I guess I just wish they had a little more of that in there, like maybe even just a small workshop area with an electrical thing to it instead of just runes or something. They're both cool enemies either way, attacking the beggar for the first time was quite a "shock." :D

I notice now there's a cut boss called The King in Blue that folks think is an early design for Martyr Logarius because Logarius' name in the game files is "reaperking," it's easy to associate blue with bolt stuff in the game so maybe at some point they meant for those two to be connected to Cainhurst also.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 19, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Marin Karin posted:

rom has maybe the most hilariously useless summon in any of these games, a mensis caster who just spams futile projectiles against the stone spider heads until he dies from rom's spells. his only real purpose is the lore implication that mensis and byrgenwerth have a rivalry going

I won't tolerate this slander, that dude fuckin' rules. :D

1- He's a support dude, he'll consistently heal you.

2- He's a support dude, so his projectiles aren't there to do damage, they're there because they distract the spiders and Rom herself very easily so you can wail on them even more. He always lasts into the third phase for me at which point you don't need him since enough spiders will be gone and you can stay closer.

This is cool because when you're close up in the third phase you never have to worry about more spawning/her teleporting and she'll do the meteor attack very rarely when you're close while all her other stuff is very easy to avoid.

THAT said, if you want a more aggressive summon and can't get a fellow human, you can summon the other Madaras Twin from the little high spot near the lamp instead.

Something else I'd recommend, when Rom summons meteors sprint perpendicular to whatever way she's facing and they'll all miss you. I prefer this because it lets you avoid all of thek whike also dragging the spiders away.

Other thing is Bolt is her weakness and the small spiders too, so if you have the Tonitrus upgraded use that, or use bolt paper on Ludwig's Holy Blade because the thrust damage is good on kin/great one sorta enemies too. But you can get by even with the saw cleaver.

And while people online will boast about beating Rom at different levels I would say level 55 is about perfect. It's good to be upgrading Skill and Arcane around here since they'll give much bigger gains to your attack power in the 40s-60. You might also want to upgrade Arcane a bit for this:

Johnny Landmine posted:

Just dump nearly every single soul you get for the entire game into Arcane, then hit her with an oil urn at your leisure and burn her to death before she finishes teleporting the very first time. Easy.

Hell yeah.

Also you may have noticed stuff in the shops gets more expensive as you level up. If you're in the 40s/early 50s now would be a good time if you feel the need to really stick up on anything. You can access part of the lecture building now and there's a room by tge lamp with a bunch of dudes you can one-shot if you have a fire gem on your weapon and get like 15,000 echoes super fast. That's the ideal "I just want to buy a few ___ or get this weapon before I head out" spot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I think I'd agree with this. It's tedious as hell to chase Micolash around and once you fight him he's a pushover so the fight is unnecessarily padded by chasing him around.

I forget if they were removed in later updates but I don't think I never beat Micolash in a non-cheese way because of how annoying it is to have to run around everywhere. There are (were?) ways to trick the game into trapping him a little early and such though, just not an enjoyable fight at all. I think it might have been beyond whatever scripting/engine stuff they're working with for these games but I think ideally it might have been better to have him be a weak recurring mid-boss type guy in all of the actual nightmare levels instead. Then when you confront him in the Mensis nightmare just have it be the short cathartic smackdown in a single room instead of having all the chasing at once.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Stuff in the shop becomes more expensive as you beat certain bosses/reach certain areas (it's tied to cutscenes happening, basically), it has nothing to do with levels. It's after reaching Cathedral Ward (so you can spend your Gascoigne money on the cheapest possible Vials still, the price only increases after you open the door), after Rom, I think after Mergo and then finally in NG+.

:aaaaa: I had no idea I always thought it just went up a bit as you leveled up all this time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Personally I hate the scythe+club+chain Undead Giant more than any other boss in Bloodborne by a huge margin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Been playing the DLC for the first time on this run and like, even after playing the game through a few times since it came out and playing the DLC now and being able to almost beat Ludwig and clown on the old hunter enemies and stuff like that I still cannot beat that Lower Pthumeru undead giant with the club+scythe+back chains. I posted about it earlier in the thread but it is officially my least favorite boss in any of these games now, holy poo poo gently caress this thing. I keep getting insanely close to killing him. When I have time to play again I'm just going to grind out like a hundred oil urns and molotovs and just stay far away and do that.

Also, is the Amygdalan Arm good? Please tell me this thing is good because, like, it's an Amygdala's arm and that owns.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

This is like the beginning of a creepy pasta. Don't get trapped in the game please.

Still the best hunter, 1973.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Whalley posted:

y'all I finally finally finally have a character that I could beat Ludwig with. I had no idea he even had a second phase but I rolled up and second try hell yeah. Now I finally get to see what the rest of the dlc looks like, two years after getting the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOwvUWlMT9E

It fuckin' rules. I love the second phase so much and also how you can speak to his head afterwards and give him some closure. :3:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

For some reason i didn't believe it but double checking it seems we really do have game where, when you fight Mergo's Wet Nurse, if you use the music box item it startles briefly and forces them to side step. And after Mergo's Wet Nurse is defeated the corpse of Father G's wife, Viola, vanishes from its spot in the boss area. :wtc: :tinfoil:

Steve Yun posted:

By lying to him :smith:

Those with faith will be spared, and May the good blood guide you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Digirat posted:

I just tested this. Used the box 15 times with no reaction and her body is still there.

Now this is really weird and I'm thinking I just hit like a one in a thousand level of glitchery lining up just right or something. All the more excuse to play through Bloodborne again. :D I swear though I must have been insanely lucky regarding seeing the music box "work" though, I have to try this again.

Regarding Viola's body, reading about it more it seems it might be a relatively unique special object in the game's logic that can potentially disappear when the time of day changes for technical error reasons?

This game is so good.

It does make make more sense if Mergo is not in any way Viola though, I like that all of the actual capital G great ones that pop up in the game don't actually have names and are all concepts instead. Mergo's Wet Nurse, Moon Presence, Amygdala, Celestial Emissary, the only one that stands out is Kos. But even that is such an insanely old name it may as well be a concept like cosmos or whatever, like from the Illiad straight up and the island of the same name has been called that since before it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 6, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Digirat posted:

getting really loving sick of multiple NPC hunters on every single layer of my dungeons. they absolutely loving suck to fight and the worst two flavors of them (cainhurst and bone ash) are also the most common. I see more of the bone ash one than probably all of the rest combined. I had 4 of the goddamn bone ash ones across 3 adjacent rooms on one recent layer.

In all the times I played through this I don't think I ever even bothered killing the two NPC hunters in the Nightmare Frontier, let alone gotten that many to show up in the dungeons. NPC hunters are like the game's one low point to me, I wish they all had names or a little more individualized background description somewhere.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Nothing on Fextralife is true.

The Sky and the Cosmos are one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Trying to find good information on games is way harder than it was 10-15 years ago, when the finest autists of GameFAQs would churn out comprehensive 1MB text files that told you everything you'd ever possibly want to know about the fusion system in Persona 4. Now when you go looking all the search results are piecemeal half answers from the same half-dozen sites that throw a hissy fit if you have an adblocker installed and want to run multiple video ads. Plus when the answers to your questions change because of an update, you'll still get your results flooded with the bad answers because they were SEO'd to hell and back.

This 100%, plus to keep it on topic to Bloodborne it wouldn't surprise me if half the reason Amygdala can be a brick wall for some is because his jumping behavior was changed so some cheese methods don't work, but if you look up how to beat him today you'll still see it solemnly stated everywhere that in phase 2 he can only jump straight forward and stuff like that.

I still use Gamefaqs the most of any of them, but even it is slowly on the path to sucking now because of how it has a new format people use for recent games where it's broken up into chapters and stuff, but of course how you or I or anyone else would think of where that information is distributed can change based on how the person chooses to break it up and label their stuff. Which in some cases sucks because they have the exhaustively comprehensive breakdown of information but you have to still dig around instead of just being able to go CTRL+F -> Boss Name or whatever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 7, 2019