Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Hey folks!

So, since I ruined my Skill/Bloodtinge Bowman Build by ending up in a janky Chalice Dungeon with no lamp and a pissed off Pthumeru, I'm gonna be doing a new build, this time going for Skill/Arcane as I've never done that before and I am also a masochist.

I may also try to Stream my horrible failures.

So, any suggestions for a decent build path, or do I simply start weeping now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

You want to know what is an absolute game-changer of an expeirence?

Burial Blade before Vicar Amelia. Lv. 30 and holding an absolute devastator of a weapon. Wow this weapon is fun.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Also, for those who are new: don't underestimate dashing in towards an opponent.

Especially on larger bosses, dashing in can put you inside their swings, give you time to get a few hits in and position you in their blind spots. Amelia only has a few options that strike along her sides, so getting alongside or behind her can set up massive amounts of damage and lead to a limb break, which leads to a visceral. On smaller bosses it's less effective than a sidestep, but some large swings can be forward-dodged to put you behind them for some hits before they re-orient. Don't forget your dash follow-up attacks usually have a faster startup.

Bosses often have a 'catch-up' attack as well to close distance when you are healing, so take a swig between attack animations rather than gaining distance, or they will try to punish it.

Though it is a small advantage, remember that serrated weapons and fire weapons deal bonus damage to beasts. Fire Paper and molotovs can help rack up damage with a quickness, so don't count them out.

I am heading through the DLC, and I am investing in Arcane to make a Kos Parasite/Rakuyo build to switch from my Burial Blade build. My skyeye does about 220 per hit, which is an absolute cheese-fest.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 6, 2020

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Fast str weapons:

Start with Hunter Axe, get to Old Yharnam. Cheese Djura with molotovs for the Stake Driver.

Once you kill Amelia and get to the Hunters Nightmare, suicide-sprint for the Beast Cutter. Boom Hammer is also real fun.

Beast Cutter will absolutely carry you like a majestic eagle, it is such a good weapon.

Or, after you kill BSB, search up one of the glyphs in the OP, get yourself some Beast Claws, and have fun flattening absolutely everything. Beast Claws on Lady Maria was the fastest I ever beat that boss.

As for my own build, I am now a WIGGLY BOY with a Kos Parasite and Lumenwood rune. All the dodges get changed too, it is so awesome.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

So, last night I finished my ARC/SKL build. WIGGGLY BOY (Kos Parasite/Lumenrune) is now a True Wiggly Boy (Worm Baby).

Then I loaded up my NG+ Beast Claws and just went crazy again. Such a fun build

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Every Souls Game: R1 spam! Do it you fool!

Sekiro: Hahah! My weak points are reversed! You'll never defeat me!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Sekiro is the easiest of the games because it all comes down to knowing your enemy, because knowing yourself is so drat simple it's laughable.

I've Platted BB, DS3 and Sekiro, and Sekiro was by far the easiest. It was a slog, but it was just endurance. Even up to NG+++, the fact that your attack just keeps going up always keeps you at level, and you never need to worry about equip load or build setup or armor resistance.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

We Got Us A Bread posted:

There's no shame at all in cheesing him, he's nearly impossible, if only to finish out Eileen's questline and get her armor and weapons and a fast stamina Regen rune.

Spoilers for cheese: Lure him down the stairs and then run past him to the back left (your left) corner of the cathedral. Duck behind one of the pillars there, and he'll lose track of you and return to his starting position with his back to you. Walk up, backstab/visceral, and run back down the stairs to lure him back down there, and repeat until he's dead.

You can also load up on poison knives, and he won't dash as he's walking back to his patrol route. Just let the poison wear him down, attack every now and again.

I only know one guy who beat the Bloody Crow clean, and he used to do no-death runs with different builds. That monster is meant to be a practice in cheese strats.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh is this stuff actually well answered during the game? Lol this game hasn’t told me poo poo so far. Oedin isn’t.. Odin is it? That’s too much. Plus, I killed a bunch of his relatives and friends over in god of war so they got a thing coming if they’re in Yharnam too.

So, there is little to no connection to an overarching real-world myth here. Like a lot of people said, the lore is most closely related to Lovecraft and Cosmic Horror ideas in general. None of them really have a comparison to a real-world mythological figure.

Bloodborne gives you very little in the way of an upfront story, and instead has you piece it together with the descriptions of items, the way the world is built and optional dialog. People have spent years tying together threads, it's a bit of a doozy.

Look up EpicNameBro or Vaatividya once you've beaten the game. Those two made their names off of diving into the lore so you don't have to.

And overall, have fun.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Considering the vision we get from the Skull is not actually from Laurence’s perspective I offer the suggestion that the Skull of Laurence in theGrand Cathedral is not Laurence’s actual Skull, but instead a Skull he took with him from Byrgenwerth when founding the Healing Church. The vision being from the perspective of the skull itself. Thus it is the Skull owned/taken from Byrgenwerth by Laurence but not his actual body part.

Which makes more sense when you factor in the translation above, that in Japanese it is closer to 'Host of Beast Blood'.

The skull wasn't Lawrence, it was where they got the blood in the first place, while Byrgenwerth was mining them looking for old ones. Lawrence goes against his old teacher and takes it, and founds the Healing Church with himself as the First Vicar. Until he, too, changes and becomes the first Cleric Beast.

And what do we find deeper in the dungeons? A headless Host of Beast Blood, unique to the dungeon.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Excuse me, but have you all forgotten the Elegance of the Old Times? Why not embrace the regal tradition of the Reiterspellach? Or, for the noble warrior, the Chikage?

Cainhurst: Blood as Tradition.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Fear the uwu blood.

By the Gods, fear it Lawrence.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

I have to beat Amelia to get to the DLC, right? Is there anything I need to do before then for story/lore? I already said hello to Eileen and thats all I remember.

Most of the lore stuff (most chapel survivors, Hypogean Gaol/Darkbeast/Djura, Henrik fight) is after Amelia so you should be good.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

My last playthrough was Burial Blade until I got the Kos Parasite, and became WIGGLY BOY.

I'm doing a Bloodtinge Build this time around, going Chikage until I get bloodletter

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Gonna download again and just farm out the dungeon until I get so many echoes that I can max out character stats.

And I'll probably still die to the Cainhurst Crow.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah one thing Bloodborne isn’t celebrated enough for is the way it took the C’thullu mythos and expanded it in a way that helps to further define and catalogue unknowable things. Amy is definitely a c’thullu, but so is Ebriatas, so is Koss… they took inspiration from various cultural reimaginings of Lovecraft’s monsters but put enough stank on it that these have become my de facto “great ones”.

Lovecraft was also prolific in his writing about dreamworlds, which would fit the nightmare aesthetic. And Bloodborne really does 'unfathomably alien existance' in such an amazing way. Like someone else pointed out, one of the most influential Gods doesn't even have a physical way to interact like Amy or Ebrietas. He's even called 'Formless Oedon'.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

What in the gently caress is a vial of Iosefka's blood doing in a chest in mergo's loft?!

My headcannon is that Iosefka helped the Mensis School contact Mergo by meeting with the wetnurse, in hopes of helping the Choir commune with another Great One or giving birth to a Great One. However, she failed and was forced to flee from both, hiding in the clinic in a 'lost' part of town but not completely over-run.

It's why you awaken in her clinic for the first time, because as a living being she has the closest connection to Mergo, your target. And why she doesn't accept visitors, until she is caught by the Church and replaced. It still has some holes (did Iosefka originally have the umbilical and it was taken? Did the imposter bring the equipment to experiment on people or was it already there because of Iosefka's past? Why are there so many bodies down the well if she was just replaced that night?) but it helps me fill in the gaps and connect the start of the game with the end.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

codo27 posted:

Gaming has a terrible history when it comes to quantifying damage done by firearms compared to melee implements, but I still dont think you can blame me for thinking a gun would be your main damage dealer and not the axe. Its a motherfucking gun!

There's tons of games that mix firearms and melee as well, and they almost always go for the "melee is more damaging while firearms are more safe" route. This isn't new in videogames at all, and especially when it is given as your 'off-hand' weapon as compared to your main hand. It also fits into the playstyle of other Fromsoft games by having a main weapon, and a utility hand for shields/staves/etc.

Even the descriptions of the weapons state that firearms aren't useful against the Beasts (hence the need for special ammo) and are meant to be used in conjuction with your melee.

codo27 posted:

When you're used to playing the Souls games maxed out on PC, its rough going back to as poorly as this looks and runs on a base ps4.

Bloodborne has some amazing environment, enemy and level design, but yeah, it shows it's age with FPS. It really needs the same PC treatment that the other titles got, but given how Sony CE Japan tends to clutch it's properties like a dragon's hoard, it will probably never happen.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Also feeling pretty good because I beat the Shadows of Yharnam first try :smug: maybe they're considered pretty easy though idk

SoY is a test of your spacing and ability to take on multiple opponents, because they will flank and support each other to punish you for pressing too hard. Coming off of bosses like Cleric Beast, BSB and Vicar Amelia, it also forces you to abandon the same 'kill big monster' tricks you used there and adapt to ranged combat and flanking attacks.

Good job!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

counterpoint: I loved it

I loved my Wiggly Boy run.

Added bonus: Pthumerians are weak to Arcane, so I got to slap Queen Yharnam with my appendages until they died and it was one of the easiest fights

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

No question. Gehrman's a chump compared to ISS

I decided to Platinum Sekiro, and that meant getting all the skills in the trees and all the endings.

I did this on one file. Hidden Blade Emma and Isshin Ashina was my NG+4 Boss.

And I still had more of a fight against Kensei Isshin. They didn't lie about his title.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m the guy who always kills Maria on his first try after dying to Living Failures 7-8 times

Beast Rune Beast Claws absolutely demolish Maria because beasthood (or the rune) increases the stagger in your attacks. You can get in 5-6 hits until she backsteps or goes with one of her non-stagger swings, and with that it's side-dodge at timing and start again.

First ever first clear, getting the Beast rune was harder.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

dr.acula posted:

I got by the spider and some guy murdered the poo poo out of me

That dude. His biggest threat is his death-mist sprayer. Get in and stay on your right/his left, get two or three hits in, back up, repeat. Stay out of the mid-range because the sprayer has a wide arc and will hit you unless you are far enough back.

The little spiders can follow you but Biggun can't. So, lead them to that alley and kill them first, then kill the camping bastard. If you really want, stock up on oil pots and molotovs, then burn the big spider to death once you are clear.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Won't believe a thing until I have a release date and a trailer.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Johnny Landmine posted:

The only reason I need a PC version is so someone can make a mod that changes all the boss fight music to "Moon River" from Bayonetta 2

Or turns them all into aptly-themed Slam Jams like that DMC4 mod.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Honestly, Gurpten isn't that hard. It's all about getting the timing and spacing for their attacks down and managing your stamina.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

It is the biggest middle finger that summoned spiders and skinny dudes have such a huge aggro radius that it often isn’t even safe to AFK next to the lantern after spawning

The fact that they couldn't fix that aggro range is my main evidence that they are never gonna bring this game to PC.

Or, they do it and they keep the aggro range, somehow tying it to FPS so they can't mod it out.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Bored. Heading back in. Last run was Beast Claw, might run a STR/ARC build again because big sword and magic.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Started my Str/Arc run again. Up to Amelia with a +5 Ludwig blade and I just cleared Hemwick.

Might go back to Moonlight blade again if I want to pivot hard to ARC, but are there other weapons I should try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Because some rear end in a top hat used her as the lock and key to all this dumb bullshit.

In hindsight I think that's the funniest thing about BB: as far as I've ever been able to tell you're literally just trying to leave. Imagine going to a different country for an organ transplant or something and then finding you have to knife fight your way back out.

And you can either get out, become the customs agent who helps people get out, or become an indescribable ageless worm-emperor keeping people locked in.