Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Got heavy into Dark Souls last year and picked up a PS4 + BB a few months ago and have been lazy about pushing myself to play it. (Kinda just bad in general about playing things off my PC)

I'm a little bit in - beat Gascoigne and I think I made a bad quest choice. :v: (Gave the girl the pendant) - it seems like Old Yharnim is next unless I want to farm up blood for a crest to open up a gate? (according to the OP) Where's that gate? By the shield?

How do the gem slots work - there's 3 on the UI but I can only socket one? I guess more unlock as I upgrade the weapon?

Any stat suggestions? I'm finding myself tempted to just pump STR till I hit softcap and then work on vit/end.

The game feels a little stingy with weapon choice early on, but I suppose it's not too much of a problem since the saw cleave seems pretty good. Just noticed the Kirkhammer in the shop, and I think I've heard good things about that, just need an extra point of dex and a bunch of blood to actually buy it up. Is there anywhere to farm blood stones early on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

m.hache posted:

Also pay attention to your VIT/END a bit instead of just dumping everything into STR. It'll greatly improve your survivability which means you can play more aggressively which feeds nicely into the Rally system to regen health.
I figured I was getting by with my current health (takes two or more vials to heal fully) and I was getting a good few swings in with enough stamina to get a dodge in with my current end, but that makes sense - I've been forgoing getting back rally health in a lot of circumstances because it felt risky for the amount of HP I'll usually be at.

HaB posted:

Kirkhammer is just what it looks like: a gigantic gently caress off club. Pure Str builds are fun, just don't plan on visceral attacking much. Use HULK SMASH instead.
Didn't know that about visceral attacks, but I was awful at parrying in Souls so it seems like str build was even more the correct choice for me here. Hulk Smash was basically my DS3 playthrough with the Cathedral UGS.

One more question: How do NPC summons work / are they as common as DS2/3 npc summons? I the stuff I've heard about BB I feel like I rarely hear about NPC summons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Vitality is especially good because blood vials heal 40% of your health. More health=more healing.

Oh, that's also really helpful to know. I though it was just a fixed value which made me less inclined to invest in more hp.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Beat Blood Starved on my third try! :toot: Got up to Vicar Amilia, but haven't really put in serious attempts since I found some side paths. Speaking of, while peaking at a weapon list, I saw the radiant sword hunter badge - apparently I completely missed the access to the healing church workshop?

Also, is there a good way to get triangle gems at this point of the game?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HaB posted:

Is there a reason you think you need Triangles this early?

I just wanted something to put in the slot. Wasn't sure if there was anything easily accessible or not.

I am really not liking the blood vial system right now. I'm using more then I find and I don't know any spots with enemies that drop many.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The two giants by central yharnam + the two werewolves & giant up the stairs by Cathedral beast seem to work well. Farming echos for vials feels bad because I just end up thinking "I could be using this for a level." There's spots where spending them makes sense though since Ill probably lose them. They're 360 for me right now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

JBP posted:

That's why I buy my levels and use the spare change for a couple of vials. Add in what you get on the road and you'll be swimming in them and can just start piling on levels or buy a cool item.

So, having vials early means you die less, you don't get stuck farming and accidentally die (losing echoes) you beat a boss and get mondo echoes, you buy vials after new levels with all your secure echo income, rinse repeat until you're a rich hoonter.

It's a good plan but i keep finding myself at thresholds where I can just pop one or two coldbloods for another level. That said earlier I was hitting a bit of a wall since I got dragged off to the unseen town or whatever and started facing some tough enemies. When I found a way out I made a detour to Hemwick and managed to get my Kirkhammer to +6 :black101: I've had some nice momentum since and just took down Shadow of Yharnam.

karma_coma posted:

I remember you get some giant rear end sword for beating him.

I don't think you get anything expressly for beating BSB (besides the chalice) but it opens a door to an area where you can find an item that will unlock the sword in the shop.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

karma_coma posted:

Ahh drat. :( I'm still going to kill him. I thought you got something good for killing him. I'm not real sure what a chalice does.

I cleared out old yharnam this morning except stupid machine gun guy. Forgot about him.

I'm at 20vit/20str/14sk right now. I remember the big rear end sword is str/sk?? I think my stamina is 13 or 14. Bl27.

Yeah, I think that's Ludwigs' Holy Blade, you do need to beat BSB to get to it, you just don't get it for beating him. After you beat BSB, go back to the Cathedral Ward lantern - a door will have opened on the right side of the room leading to an elevator.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Is that Patches? That sounds like Patches..."

20 minutes later.

"Goddamit that was Patches."

In other news I took down Rom and Amygdala.The former gave me more trouble. Think I'm about at the same point of the game as you, melodicwaffle, minus DLC progression.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm probably just a bit low level for it or something but gently caress upper cathedral ward and it's grab-spamming cthulu fucks and werewolf parade. Why are enemies this late in dropping blood stone shards?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The bloodvial system really makes boss attempts feel that more miserable. Dying in the last third is painful enough, but its even more painful knowing you just blew 10 vials.

Ebritas is getting under my skin. I feel like I can get it but boy does it punish mistakes hard.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't looked too deeply into covenant stuff, but can the stuff associated with them (weapons/tools) all be acquired without going online?

Also, if I want to get platinum, do I need to do multiple playthroughs/ng+ for different endings? I already know the basic deal with the endings since I had previously been spoiled.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

m.hache posted:

That's so cool. I don't know what it is about the Souls games. When you describe them to people they don't sound appealing at all but I eventually get hooked and just play them until I completely burn out.

A friend pretty much forced DS1 on me, I tried it and hated it. I came back to it a few years later with a fresh mindset and some early game tips. I totally got hooked and burned through DS1-3 despite having many, many "gently caress this game is bullshit I'm going to quit" moments. As I play through BB I catch myself tilting hard at bosses, shouting about how unfair that stupid attack with no startup is, or how something so big should not move as fast as it does, but I keep pushing on - I figure out better approaches, learn the patterns better, or just persevere through sheer stubbornness. Few game worlds feel quite so satisfying to explore. While the overarching stories of the Souls games aren't that obtuse, the way they're told through item descriptions and slightly cryptic messages or npc dialog leaves a lot of room for speculation and putting the pieces together. I'm really excited to finish Bloodborne so I can dig into all the lore theories and cut content.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

This is true, but the way Yharnam proper is, is more like the uncanny valley. It’s clearly a city and people clearly live here but it’s just off somehow and doesn’t make sense, like it’s a fabrication of the real thing.

I like the house in Central Yharnam that basically opens onto a man-made pit. I think it's around one of the paths to Father Gascoige before you open up the shortcut.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well I just got totally cheated out of a kill, I think? I beat Micolash after the second chase and there was a puppet in the room that just went completely berserk on me. Not even sure how the puppet got there.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How overleveled is 105 for Orphan of Kos? Got him on my first try and feeling kinda proud, but assuming I'm kinda overleveled from doing some chalice stuff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

After taking down Orphan I took like 5 or so tries to down Lawrence. :v: (And even then I used the npc summon cause I kinda just wanted to be done with the DLC)

I'm tempted to get MoHun since all my friends are playing it but I feel like I gotta finish Bloodborne before I do or I'll never finish it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think Lawrence was the only boss that made me go "gently caress this run back, I'm summoning"

I think the first section of the DLC is possibly the weakest. The hunter-type enemies with the beast cleavers are among my least favorite and I honestly think they have too much health.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I actually kind of liked the research hall - felt reminiscent of Duke's Archives. But the patients with the IV stands can gently caress off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

For me its just a principle thing, I can't stand runbacks in any souls game, BB especially layers on frustration since you can run out of vials and have to stop attempts at the boss to go farm more if you are struggling, even if you are not frustrated but enjoying learning the fight.

I absolutely agree - I've bitched a few times but blood vials feel like a weird step back from Estus. Making it so you can get healing items from enemies or corpses is pretty cool and probably a better design then Dark Souls randomly giving you estus charges based on something nebulous and sort of fits in with Bloodborne's general ethos of encouraging active/aggressive play - there's a "push forward" aspect to getting more vials as you progress, as opposed to Dark Souls where if you burn a bunch of estus early you might be more inclined to retreat? But they could have just as easily made you spawn with 20 vials every time.

There was a moment in Dark Souls where I realized that death is less of a problem if you don't care about losing souls or don't have souls to lose. Bloodborne kinda strips this away by having any failed boss attempt carry the sting of realizing you just burned a bunch of resources. But maybe they wanted that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

melodicwaffle posted:

Couple questions:

I can't find where the big brain in Mergo's Loft dropped to, I know I'm supposed to be looking for a lift but I'm not sure where it is...

You want to get back into the lower part of the loft, you probably first went to it after the spider room - the room that had a bunch of big dark pits that you had to get around to get to a lift. There will be a new lift suspended over one of those pits. I think the easiest way to get to it is from the lower loft lamp?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There’s going to be password matching so I assume there might be more then just SL matching

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The problem I've run into is the weird motion gesture thing. I think it can happen when tapping x and moving the controller in a certain way? Really annoying suddenly doing an emote because you were trying to quickly pick up something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kawabata posted:

aaand I just lost 14k souls after one of the longest stretches in any souls game without a checkpoint, against a bullshit perma poison boss. cool

For what it's worth I lost about that much souls just banging my head against trying to take out the dude on top of the tower. I'm really not proud of how hard I pushed to accomplish basically nothing.

Don't forget you have access to antidotes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the blood vial system is the dumbest thing they put in BB, since the estus system in DS works great and did not need to change.

Blood Vials are definitely one of my biggest gripes about bloodborne, that said there does feel like there are some upsides to them over Estus, in so much that you don't need to upgrade or expand them, and they can be acquired from enemies semi-reliably feels like a better system then randomly getting an estus charge back.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So split the difference and get rid of leveling estus and let them drop every now and then, just less than in BB. One of the most frustrating things is having to stop fighting a boss you are enjoying learning to go farm vials if you run out, which is especially prevalent for new players.

Yeah, if it was up to me I'd just have the player spawn with 20 vials after every death.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Over There posted:

Videos always make this game look so drat easy.

and jesus christ does the run from this year's AGDQ make it look like a chump at times. Only got around to watching it the other week but it's just nuts how that guy took apart some bosses. The limb breaking abuse might be my favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

How do I give my bath buddies a hat?

It's kind of behind the workshop. Either go out the back door of the workshop and to the right or follow the path to the left of the doll, there's a messenger kinda tucked in a back corner.