Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm playing Bloodborne again and I'm probably going to buy the DLC pretty soon because I hear it's pretty good.

Lore:
I had a realization around the meaning of "seek paleblood to transcend the hunt". Kin blood appears to be pale, so I'm thinking the whole game revolves around the player's quest to attain godhood. Especially considering that you turn into an infant Great One when consuming three thirds of umbilical cords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've got a lot of theories inside my head about the nature of a lot of the events in the game. Probably going to be an effort post but drat there's a lot to think about with this game.

Why does the player character come to Yharnam in the first place?
I believe that the player originally comes to Yharnam to seek the blood cure from the Healing Church. Another explanation is that you're coming to Yharnam seeking the power that the blood offers. Since Yharnam is a powerful and famous city, it makes sense to me that outsiders would come in order to seek the blood offered by the Church.

Who is the guy that provides the blood transfusion at the beginning of the game and what is the nature of the contract that he offers you?
I believe the guy in the wheelchair is in the employ of the Healing Church. After all, how would he have the knowledge and ability to offer blood transfusions? The contract he speaks of is a contract to become a part of the Hunter's Dream. This isn't explicitly explained to the player and brings to mind a Faustian bargain.

What is causing the transformations of the Yharnam Citizens?
I believe this to be caused by a forced addiction to the blood provided by the Healing Church. Based on item flavor text, blood appears to be used as an intoxicant, possibly even being mixed in with the water supply. This makes the citizenry reliant on the Healing Church for sustenance but also has an unintended side effect of causing the townsfolk to transform into beasts. Originally, minor outbreaks could be controlled, however Hunts apparently got progressively worse, with the Hunt the player takes in being the worst ever. The bestial transformations are also the result of the citizens not having as much insight into the nature of the blood that they are consuming (I'll address this shortly). The approach of the Red Moon also acts as the catalyst of transformation in those who have Healing Church blood running in their veins.

What is the nature of Insight and why does the player gain it fighting bosses?
Insight is the understanding of the true nature of Yharnam. I believe the gaining of Insight during boss battles reflects the player's understanding of the plot of Bloodborne. Not only are we gaining knowledge, we're also losing our sanity at the same time. This is why the latter half of the game has more abstract bosses and environments. While we gain understanding, our mind lacks the ability to fully comprehend the horrors that are occurring. This also explains why we are able to see the Amygdala creatures in their real form; we are perceptive now to the influence of the Great Ones. First in hazed outlines but eventually we see them take physical forms.

What is the nature between Healing Church blood and Insight?
It's my belief that originally the founders of the Healing Church didn't quite understand the nature of the Great One blood that they found in the Pthumerian labyrinth. This was essentially a miracle cure all that was also the downfall of the Pthumerian civilization. Eventually, the early Healing Church made contact, or was influenced by, a Great One and began to gain insight on the power of an outer plane. This was at once horrifying and enlightening to them. They wanted to keep the knowledge of the Great Ones hidden but also wanted to learn how to transcend to obtain the power of the Great Ones themselves.

What is the nature of the Red Moon?
A Red Moon occurs whenever a Great One attempts to "bless" the mortal races with Great One children. Great One blood courses through the veins of all Yharnamites due to the actions of the Healing Church and the Red Moon calls to that blood. However, only women of childbearing age can hope to bear a Celestial Child. All others are doomed to either be transformed, or can hope to live through the night through the intervention of Hunters. In past Hunts, transformations were less common and more containable since less of the populace was infected by Healing Church blood, but the current hunt proves to be uncontrollable. Those with insight into the nature of the Great Ones are instead transformed into Kin while base Yharnamites become consumed with blood lust and turn into beasts.

I'm probably bad at articulating some points but for some reason the story means more to me the less explicit it is.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

There was a guide on Gamefaqs that I used that was pretty good. You can basically skip to the NPC sections if you just want to do things that are pertinent to the different endings.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's never explicitly stated that he is or isn't Gherman. I think his voice is different. As far as I know Gherman is trapped in the Hunter's Dream.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DS2 is perfectly fine. Soul Memory and stat changes got most of the criticism but I still think it's a drat good game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Right. Dark Souls games are slower and more methodical combat wise. DS3 takes a bit more cues in combat from Dark Souls, but DS2 is still in the mold of DS1/Demon's Souls

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Once you're past Gascoigne, you have maybe 2 or 3 bosses you can tackle in different orders. Just don't use the skull in the cathedral unless you want to advance the time of day.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You literally have to use a guide for most NPC quests so don't feel bad if you missed something.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm an rear end in a top hat and am sending everybody to Iosefka's clinic this go around. Also giving a STR/ARC build a try, though I'm kind of just freestyling things with skill point distributions.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I try and think back on what originally caused Gehrman to be trapped in the hunters dream in the first place. Did he despair and call forth the Moon Presence or did he happen to stumble upon the Moon Presence and become it's thrall? My interpretation is that Gehrman slipped into extreme depression and hopelessness after realizing the Hunt would never end and all the Hunters he trained kept dying. Due to his contact with beasts and other horrors, he gained enough insight that allowed him to comprehend or subconsciously call Moon Presence. Or maybe Moon Presence found someone that was susceptible to it's influence and took him as it's surrogate child.

I also think, for Gerhman's case, the "A Great One loses it's child and seeks to find a surrogate" applies to Gerhman because he's constantly losing his "children" (Hunters) and creates a surrogate of his own in the Doll. If he followed a similar path to the player character, his encounters with the horrors of Yharnam started him on the path of becoming a Great One himself, just like the PC can become. However Gehrman realizes that he's basically stuck in the Hunter's Dream forever, but can't end it himself, similar to Micolash and the Nightmare of Mensis. However, Micolash chooses to continue his own nightmare.

Gehrman wanting to kill you is his way of showing mercy to the Hunter that ended the Hunt. Even in the ending where you refuse his mercy kill, he still tries to kill you because he knows that Moon Presence will just take you in his place.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kirkhammer L1 form is good because it grants a few frames of hyper armor and you can repeatedly stun some enemies due to the weight.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MillennialVulcan posted:

This probably comes across as obvious, but I hadn't made the connection before until I asked about it in another thread.

The Moon Presence is also probably the Great One that influences the beastly changes using blood causes. Great Ones tend to "bless" or "touch" those that their attention is drawn to and the animalistic movements and jutting rib bones are present in many beasts as well as MP itself.

I agree. I think the approach of the Blood Moon catalyzes beasthood in those that have healing church blood in their veins.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's possible that Moon Presence isn't necessarily hostile to other Great Ones, but rather is acting in some sort of nurturing care to Gehrman and his Hunter "children". Essentially the Great Ones are acting as parents and are trying to help their surrogate children, even if those individual children may be adversarial towards each other (either due to bestial madness or merely difference of methods).

I think you are transformed into an infant Great One because your level of insight is so high that you can "see" how to transcend a human existence. Not only that, but you have constantly absorbed Great One matter into your body via blood transfusion and more importantly the umbilical cord of a Great One child.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think of it more as a parent/child relationship between the Great One and the desires of the "children" it has adopted. Moon Presence sustains hunters in their fight against the beasts because it sees Gehrman as it's child. I don't think there's necessarily an adversarial relationship between the Great Ones themselves, but they're actually focused on the wellbeing of their adopted children. Ebrietas is the matron of the Healing Church and provides them with her blood, however this also causes the Hunt. Moon Presence supports Gehrman and is in opposition to other Great Ones by association.

Mergo, or Mergo's Wet Nurse, can be seen as the parent of Micolash in the Nightmare of Mensis. It created the Nightmare because Mensis desired the be "lined with eyes" or be granted knowledge of the Great Ones. The Brain of Mensis can be seen as the personification of this knowledge, however that knowledge also drove Micolash insane, which is mirror by how it drives the frenzy meter up when the player meets it's gaze.

Moon Presence fights us because we are rejecting the parent/child relationship. At that point, we've become so powerful that we no longer require the patronage of a Great One, because we have ascended to be Great Ones ourselves.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Motherfuck Pthumerian Descendant.

That's all I have to say. Fucker almost cost me a controller and a TV last night.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Problem for me is that the parry timing is so goddamn precise. And he can optionally chain together his blade combo, which will kill me in one go if get caught in a bad dodge.

I'm sure I'll figure him out tonight but gently caress HIM.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Why yes I do enjoy getting the mighty boot mr. hatchet hands

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Augur of Ebrietas is so good. I took way to long to try out an ARC build and it's paid dividends. The only part that sucks is that you have to tough it out in a few chalice dungeons to get elemental gems before the spec can really take off.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm just really running them for fun, but I'm planning on doing all the chalices at least once.

Probably going to have to get up to around 90-100 before I tackle depth 4. Depth 3 felt pretty tough at level 70.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah at depth 3 I'm getting like 30k echoes per floor and I'm guessing that scales up exponentially.

Going to clear out Cainhurst tonight and get super pissed at Logarius.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Unless you're doing PVP, the game supposedly scales your level down if you want to help out lowbies. The reverse isn't true though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My coop experience has been getting summoned in only for the host to die to an incredibly telegraphed attack.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got popped by the stiffarm telegraph by Bloodletting Beast and I felt really bad about it. If you don't know, it's an instant one shot unless you have high Vit.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm doing Ailing Loran Chalice dungeons now and there's a bonus room where two bell ringing women are summoning spiders. And when I say summoning spiders, I mean having 15 of them fuckers just running into a room and mobbing me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

amazeballs posted:

I bought this game with my PS4 and then got sucked into Horizons. Now that I've completed that I moved on to this game. I know enough about the Souls games to know what to expect going into this.

Last night I was banging my head against the wall trying to beat the Cleric Beast. This was after banging my head against the wall trying to beat those two stupid loving wolf-dog things on the bridge leading up to the Cleric Beast. I actually turned off my PS4 in frustration, looked at the clock and decided it was time for bed because I had an early morning change at work I had to be up for. Started getting a few things sorted out around the house before bed when I decided to give it one more go. I took that sonofabitch down in clean fashion, only having to use a couple of Blood Vials. I even got two visceral attacks in which was a big accomplishment for me. God drat it felt so, so satisfying. This game is great and I think I'm officially hooked.

I am using the Hunter's Axe, and so far it's alright. I enjoy the moments where I get to use the special attack and hit an entire pack of enemies all at once. With that said, I'm playing this game from a perspective of someone who might only play through once due to time commitments and gaming backlogs. Is there any resource out there that can provide me with a general sense of what is out there as far as builds go? I'm getting nervous that I might pigeonhole myself into a specific build or style of playing and find something else down the road that looks way more appealing. I appreciate the mentality of going into these games blind and learning as you go, but a very general, spoiler-light, "here are some of the things you can do in this game" resource would really set my mind at ease. Does such a thing exist? Do I just need to stop being a loving baby and press onward? Help me goons.

In general, for large enemies like cleric beast, dodging around them or getting under them is the best idea. Don't feel like you have to use the lockon camera all the time too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kirkhammer and Ludwigs blade are fun weapons to use because they have fast and agile attacks along with slow powerful attacks. Kirkhammer can also be used to chain stagger smaller enemies and has a relatively decent hitbox.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I need to try the whole Beast Pellet thing in Defiled Pthumerian layer 4. I'm going to die in one hit so what's the point?

I managed to one shot Ludwig with a fire gemmed Ludwig's Holy Blade, but at 104 I'm probably a bit overleveled for Old Hunters. I also do this weird thing where I will get lucky on certain bosses and then get my dick slammed in the dirt on others.

Arcane spec is really fun, but getting gems can be a pain if you're using default imprints. I should do some Loran Root chalices and see if I can't find some more Triangle gems.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When I fight the bell ringing women in chalice dungeons, I cue up the Benny Hill music because I have to run around the room and take maybe two swipes per circuit because if I stop too long the spiders gangbang me.

Also some rooms can have two bell ringers, which means you have like 20 spiders to contend with.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I finally got the mats for the last Pthumerian chalice. Planning on doing Yharnam blind and it's probably going to kick my dick in.

Got a Ludwig's Lost Holy Blade farming mats and I think I might level it up since the gem imprints take one of each type. Should be fun getting a bolt variant set up if I have the gems.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That depth 4 cursed chalice was the literal worst, especially since hot dog one shot me every time he grazed me with that zero windup charge.

I thought Isz chalices were laughably easy, especially the brainsucker bosses. I could chain stagger them with Ludwig's and they couldn't even get an attack in.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

That charge absolutely has a windup. It flares brighter and rears its head.

He sometimes cancels certain attack animations and them immediately pops into the charge. I can usually dodge at the last second but if I don't, lol YOU DIED.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

By the way, if you decide to grind out all the chalice dungeons, you'll hit like level 130 pretty easily. There's a HUGE uptick in blood echoes starting at depth 4 dungeons.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My recommendation is to just do a straight up Str or Skl build for the first go around. Arcane requires a bit of gem farming and doesn't really get going until mid game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Squiggles Unite posted:

Right on, sounds good to me. Time to crack open a Monster and crack open some monsters :dance:

I'm sorry did you mean Doritos and Code Red?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

big cummers ONLY posted:

IMO this thing is as crucial for an ARC build as a fire weapon and Augur of Ebrietas

This. Augur has a huge hitbox and will knock back most enemies if it doesn't parry them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Loran Darkbeast is an unbelievable rear end in a top hat. It's like I'm literally fighting the camera.

Isn't he literally a Darkbeast Paarl copy but with triple the health or some poo poo?

I just never locked onto him and tried to break his legs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Same but the nonboss red eye fire dogs

Oh my god you are preaching to the loving choir on this.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Blood Dregs are sperm

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was partial to "be wary of rear" in front of the statues in Cainhurst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yharnam is a pretty easy boss if you backstep before the second baby cry. That way you don't get stunned.