Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
A couple of days into my first Bloodborne run, and I'm starting to get the hang of this. I somehow managed to down Cleric Beast on first go, but it was messy: I'd eat a hit and rally back most of it with my axe. It took me several days to work out how to get through Daddy G, most of the time I'd have him down to a sliver of health, but then I'd overextend and eat a ton of claws to the face. Same thing almost happened the last time, but I managed to molotov him twice.

Now I'm in Old Yharnam, this place feels like Ravenholm, with the verticality and madman screaming at you and the swarms of small monsters. Managed to push the machine gunner off the ledge by rushing at him from the ladder, he took a step back and fell off (almost got murdered by the dude with the saw spear at the bottom). Called it for the day, I'll come back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah apparently the madman screaming at me from the rooftops and firing machine gun bullets at me from a fortified position can be befriended in the game Friendborne.

A mistake? Who knows.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Another brief run, I don't ever imagine trying to fight around Djura's machine gunny rear end while zombies swarm around me. Sorry bud you're in the way and you're shooting at me I'm pushing you off this roof. Maybe if I'm good at this game and at NG +7 or whatever like you guys.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Okay that's 3 big quadripedal beast bosses down now: Blood Starved Beast, Darkbeast Paarl, Watchdog. All were messy af. It feels like locking on to them is a mistake, because I'd swing at their center of mass, but that part of their body tends to be out of range of my short Saw Cleaver/Saw Spear. But unlock the camera, and I'd often get whacked when my thumb is on the right stick controlling the camera, and unable to dodge.

Any tips for this?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gently caress me Blood Sucking Beasts in Cainhurst are loving brutal, am I going to just have to carefully wack them to death with a transformed Ludwig Holy Blade?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m trying to learn the big razorblade at present. I started with the whip cane but the hitbox for the whip was a little intimidating.

It seems like the extended version of the razor is meant for keeping distance on enemies, but I tend to not really get value from the distance difference right now- I either whiff, or I’m close enough to use the primary form regardless, or the enemy has a longer reach than me anyhow.

Instead, I tend to use it when I have to attack multiple weak enemies at once, like the big cave troll surrounded by grounded crows on the Yharnam bridge.

My understanding of the Saw Cleaver/Spear is that you really want to perform transformation attacks: keep pressing L1 after you've started attacking and your weapon will snap open and shut, which has hefty damage multipliers, stuns enemies, and breaks their guard. Otherwise, stay in untransformed mode, because the smaller weapon hits hard and fast. The Saw Spear has a few long ranged thrust attacks in transformed mode, however, which fucks up some really annoying enemies like brainsuckers.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I may be a tad overlevelled right now, beat Martyr Logarius and Amygdala on my 2nd try, beat Rom and Bloody Crow of Cainhurst. Time to work on Yahar'gul.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Man I really like this Ludwig Holy Blade transformed L2 attack where you bring it down in an overhead smash, it has a deceptively wide hitbox, has good range, and fucks up enemies in narrow corridors where your typical R1 or R2 would bounce off walls.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Celestial Emissary also down, he's pretty easy, just kind of annoying to fight.

Ebrietas, on the other hand, is a loving nightmare. I first tried to do the rodeo method: bait her into a charge or a headslam, then start whacking. But that's easy to gently caress up. Then I tried the attrition method, where you get around her back and sides and wail away with the tonitrus. Which method is in general better, and what weapon suits that?

I've burnt over 100 blood vials in my attempts, I can't keep doing this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well gently caress somehow managed to luck into killing Ebrietas with my LHB that was a very messy fight, didnt do anything tricky besides tank and heal through side swipes. I'm going to get destroyed by harder versions of her.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Weird question, I'm doing a spot of Blood Rock Chunk farming, and for some weird reason, I can't seem to backstab the blue-eyed werewolves in Upper Cathedral Ward? Like they always turn around even when I walk to them slowly?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao I've worked out to parry-visceral through Winter Lantern frenzy this is chaddest move I've ever seen.

Yes my head got half wrenched off my neck and spears burst through my flesh but I made a pose and it didn't matter.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Moon Presence has been slain.

Now to actually learn how to play this game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It feels like the only parryable enemy that I always have a hard time parrying are the fat axe-wielding executioners. They have a wide range of attacks with weird-rear end timings that I can never get the hang of. For instance, the one attack where they step forward a few times while swinging their weapon around their body before fling it at you: are you supposed to wait for the axe to angle out before you pull the trigger? Well too bad if you hosed up, you're getting a one-way trip to the moon.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
gently caress that was a tense fight with Logarius on this Bloodtinge character, nothing but a +6 Saw Spear and 25 skill viscerals. If I was better it would be much cleaner, I wouldn't be sitting on 1 blood vial and 0 bullets at the end.

Now time to actually invest in Bloodtinge!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've got a couple of mechanics questions:

Is it worth converting Saw Cleaver/Spear to Fire even if you have almost no Arcane stat scaling? Because it's 1-shotting those Level 1 slime scholars with no other damage gems in the first two radial slots, and is very safe to use. That makes me think in general that I should be turning it into fire almost immediately before the Amelia fight.

Secondly, what's the deal with Covenant Oath runes? Because they feel awfully weak in general, the only one even mildly okay is Hunter of Hunters rune for +10% stamina regen. Which I accidentally hosed myself out of by not killing Henryk before I entered Forbidden Woods (Fextralife wiki kind of sucks rear end for how highly it is placed in SEO rankings).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wow this Reiterpallasch is remarkably fun, is it just me or does it have a ridiculously fast gunshot wind-up on its transformed R2 or its transformation attack. Maybe I should try investing more into this in my Chikage build, use it as a parrying secondary.

I am slowly getting the hang of the Chikage as well, I'm getting better at finding opportunities to use the unique L1>R1 transformation attack. It's not perfect, I need to pull out the transform while the enemy is *not* winding up to hit me in the middle of the attack.

scary ghost dog posted:

just use fire paper

I find it very easy to accidentally gently caress up and burnt it all on Blood Starved Beast before you even get to Amelia.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anyway Amelia is much easier than BSB in my experience, fighting her without using consumables is pretty doable. She doesn't pressure you in the same way as BSB's poison. Her hitbox doesn't feel as janky as BSBs, who constantly lunges forward out of range when you try to hit it in its haunches. You also likely have a +6 weapon if you made a detour to Hemwick.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just bought the Old Hunters DLC (for full price, Sony not offering discounts them jerks).

Holy gently caress I think I burnt like 100 vials on Ludwig with this Chikage BLT char. No wonder he's considered such a good boss, he was probably harder that Ebrietas, but way more fair and readable. You can't just wedge yourself in a good spot and DPS the gently caress out of them. The trick was finding an opportunity to do a few L1>R1 combos, without overextending myself and getting spanked.

Living Failures was a cinch, the blood attacks ripped right through them. I died more often on the bighead patients.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If I ever do an early BoM run I'll probably wait until after BSB and finding the Abandoned Old Workshop and opening the 3 Cathedral Ward gates to advance the Eileen quest before being slightly less competent at "helping" her against Henryk. That way I have a big slush fund to spend on the blades right before I obtain the Crow Hunter Badge.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
God drat I somehow managed to down Lady Maria on maybe my 4th attempt (my 3rd attempt I didn't get a single point of damage). It was a matter of spamming Evelyn shots into her while she was starting an animation (I still don't have a good grasp of the parry windows), doing a SKL 25 visceral, and doing a quick Chikage L1>R1>R1>L1 combo while she was entering her standing up recovery. A few such lucky events, and she was in her 3rd phase, where I was so terrified of losing progress my Evelyn was beng used for chip damage. Then downed her with a few dodge R1s with regular Chikage (no opportunities to transform).

Now it's time to got to Fishing Hamlet and meet the shark boys. But before I do that, I want to get a Madaras Whistle. I've crushed 3 vermin from the DLC and talked to Valtr while wearing the Impurity Rune, he's given me the League Oath, but for some weird reason, the hunter who's supposed to drop the Whistle isn't spawning at the Forbidden Woods lamp. What's up with that? I guess I could just kill Valtr, but it doesn't feel right.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao i must have thrown my body into the single shark giant next to the lighthouse lamp just to get practice at parrying him. i got a triple parry on him once! but most times I just get wombo combo'd to death.

practice for when i get into that loving well

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah maybe I shouldn't obsess over parry windows. I watched a video on Orphan of Kos parry windows, missed most of them, and ended up just dodging behind him and hitting him with the transformed Chikage whenever possible. I spent most of the time in transformed mode, but if I ever dropped out of that mode I'd wait until a good opening before doing a quick transform attack at his back.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just killed Laurence and the Wellbois with my BLT char, I ended up cheesing them all with the Simon Bowblade. Whatever, I wanted to get it over with so I could get onto my next character. Since I have the DLC, wanted to make a STR build, probably a mix of Beast Cutter and Pizza Cutter.

Except, I rushed for Kirkhammer, and I'm wondering if that was a mistake to go for early game. Because the Kirkhammer plays quite differently to more "conventional" starters. Oh well, I could always level the Saw Cleaver to +3 and use that instead if I'm finding it too hard. I did manage to kill Daddy G with the Hammer on my 2nd try, that's what happens with a few good parries in the first phase.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

JBP posted:

I'm 100% certain there is some science to be had within this phenomenon because it works every time.

if you have time to power down your ps4 so you can post you have time to reset your anxiety attack erry time ebby cranes her neck down

BTW Kirkhammer trip report: it demolishes beast patients who slowly walk up to you, it demolishes Church Giants, but it deals pathetic damage against Blood Starved Beast. Well that's what the saw cleaver is for. I'm getting really good at dodging its attacks.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
dodge left hoonter

nooo

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've graduated from the Kirkhammer. It's very binary, either they're hosed or you're hosed. So I instead carefully killed Amelia with a +3 saw cleaver (+3 Kirkhammer just lacked DPS).Then ran the Hunter Nightmare for the Whirligig Saw. I can see why there's a reason why people love this thing.

Anyway, I'd like to take this character up to BL120. Started Violent Past. My mandatory stats are:

VIT: 50
STR: 50
SKL: 12

That gives me another 34 points to work with. The question is, how much to place into Skill, Endurance, and Arcane? Getting Arcane to 15 would be pretty handy to get all 3 utility tools to play with, dodges are after all essential while 2-handing. Beast Roar breaks hunters, Weapon buffs work nicely on something as fast attacking as a Whirligig Saw.

Next question, is it more important to get endurance up to as close to 40 as possible, or is it more important to get Skill to 25? At +10 Whirligig has a 0.3 SKL scaling coefficient, Mugenmonkey tells me the AR goes from 190 + 183 to 190 + 205. Or, is END more important to allow me to spam my abilities until the cows come home? After all, Whirligig has that L2 held move that fucks up anyone who gets close to me.

So my four options are:

Pure END
END: 40
SKL: 17
ARC: 7

END/ARC
END: 37
SKL: 12
ARC: 15

END/SKL
END: 32
SKL: 25
ARC: 7

Compromise
END: 24
SKL: 25
ARC: 15

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Whirligig saw is remarkably fast, the only downside is that it consumes a ton of stamina (a transformed R1 costs 30 stamina).

I think I'll pair it with Amygdalan Arm, that floppy thing is hilarious to use and has a wide arc.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anyway, my question still stands, how important is it to rank my SKL from 12 onwards when using the Whirligig Saw? Because I could instead put those points in utility stats like ARC and END.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Amygdalan Arm trip report: lol this thing loving rules. I don't like whips, I find Kirkhammer lacking, Amygdalan Arm has all the upsides of the above. It's a ridiculously flexible moveset.

Maybe it falls off at 50, and when gemmed up, but for now it's hilarious. It destroys the Forbidden Woods snakemen. Whistle all you like bitch, it just means you and all your snake friends get flattened all at the same time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i just need to be better at punishing bsb whenever she misses me, half the time i swing at air, maybe a forward quickstep r1 would be the best option

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
bullets instaknock dogs

transformed chikage also instaknocks dogs but its honestly not as reliable as just shooting them

note that dogs have iframes while recovering from knocks so you want to delay the attack a second or so, i find aiming an R2 at them does the tricky, better that than a few R1s sailing harmlessly through them

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
BTW is the Blood Stone Chunk dupe glitch still present in the game, where you walk back and forth between the DLC Research Halls lamp and the Nightmare Church lamp stabbing Wandering Madnesses that respawn and loot them only when you're ready to despawn them for good?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Cool.

Also, either I'm now pro as gently caress, or +10 Whirligig saw is OP. I killed Ludwig on my second try. Dodge through his jump swipe, R1>L2 hold, walk forward for a few seconds.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah the visceral music stinger always fails to play when Gascoigne plays a line at about 70% hp, which always throws me off even after a successful parry for a second often causing me to miss the visceral.

Anyway, I managed to beat Laurence and Maria and Orphan and Sharkboyz on the same day. Laurence, you gotta be careful finding an opening before you can get close: don't walk into that exploding fissure he rams into the ground. Maria is parry city, her tracking and radial velocity is just too good to reliably get around her. Orphan I didn't bother parrying once, his windows are too short, his attacks too punishing, and his tracking is poor enough that honestly you're best off getting around him and grinding your pizza cutter into his butt.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Laurence also feels unlike most other story bosses, because every other notoriously hard boss will leave themselves openings during or after they swing at you. Like you dodge through Ludwig's and BSB's attacks, parry Gascoigne and Gehrman or Maria, or do both against Orphan. Or you glue yourself to Cleric Beast or Amelia or Reborn's buttocks.

Do that against Laurence and you're liable to walk into that fire fissure that explodes and 1-shots you.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Pizza Cutter is arguably the best weapon in the game, which makes up for the lack of visceral utility found in Skill weapons. But Skill weapons are no slouches, particular post DLC when Church Pick and Rakuyo are now options. Pity they locked behind multiple main bosses.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

morallyobjected posted:

Hollow Knight has the same kind of body horror and world descended into madness kind of theme, just with bugs and 2D

Hollow Knight is indeed a good comparison, with the similar system of checkpoints and exploration and oppressively lonely atmosphere. It also has an almost Bloodborne-style recovery system where you almost trade blows, except dealing damage charges your mana bar, which can be used heal through your mistakes during gaps in enemy attacks.

Because this is a side-scroller that doesn't give free movement across the flat plane, and you have almost no tools that give your invulnerability frames until the end of the game, in exchange the combat is very fast and you have extremely fast attack times and air control. That does encourage a beyond-Bloodborne level of aggression.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've have... weird experiences with NPC hunters. The only ones who reliably kick my rear end are Djura and Henryk and the Byrgenwerth lady. I've had bad experiences with Henryk, I'd initiate with a backstab, sometimes two, but then I'd get greedy, dump my stamina, and he turns around and Saw Cleaver R1-spams me to death in a corner.

But the first Yahar'gul pair? Lots of room to initiate, lots of room to retreat, and it's possible to pull one at a time. The Yarhar'gul trio? Lots of room to retreat, it's possible to fight around corners and pick them off one at a time. The Bloody Crow? His pistol shots hit hard, but they're not 1-shots if you're wearing blood resist armor like Knight/Cainhurst set, and his attacks come out with predictable animations and timings (they're your animations). I've one-run him both times I've encountered him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You can sneak up on and backstab the Rifle Spear/Ludwig Rifle guy, just drop down on the leftmost building, then drop onto the ground, you'll land behind him. At that point, just stay in his face, he just can't deal with it with his slow guns.