Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. I'm not sure why you are highlighting the g like that when it's in the creature's name, so I wonder if I'm missing a joke.

It's in the creature's name. It wasn't in your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

It's always amazing to me that the Cainhurst ticks are so much more of a pain in the rear end than the Old Hunters ones. They're horrendous.

They're fleas

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I am disappointed that the official Dark Souls site is gone because the original blurb for the game was insane and made no sense.

edit: I'm pretty sure Dark Souls 1's thread title was the last line for a while. Maybe it still is.

The first half of this just seems like a terrible translation. You can at least understand what it's supposed to be.

The second half though I can't make any sense of at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The immortal and nameless shadow dwarves???

From context I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the 4 kings. Or maybe something to do with the pygmy

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hopper posted:

I play on normal and the witch is really easy once you understand how she works. In my first attempt I learned the mechanic, in the second I tried a strategy and by the third I killed her by applying said strategy plus a few tweaks.

I'm sorry to tell you this but you've misinterpreted his shock.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If any game were gonna kill someone I'd want it to be Bloodborne

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

redreader posted:

Two questions
-why is literally everyone hostile to you? What do the villagers see in you that makes them think you're a foul beast?
-why does everyone wear a blindfold?

It's not about you, it's about them. All the roaming villagers are themselves in the earliest state of transformation into beasthood, and since you are clearly not like them they attack you.

The blindfold is part of the whole game's obsession with eyes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Level 100 is way overkill to start the DLC, 60-70 is more like it. You'll level up a lot by the end of it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Squiggles Unite posted:

Alright, I got Bloodborne and am going to attempt it for the first time. Literally have never played a Souls game before and while I consider myself to be pretty good at games :jerkbag: I've heard these can be different beasts. Basically, I don't know poo poo and would like some helpful tips to get started. Been reading the thread some and I think I want to try a Strength/Arcane build since it sounds fun. Any advice I can get or good videos/guides to watch/read would be super helpful. I tend to get a bit :spergin: when it comes to games in similar genres.

You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The BLB isn't a cleric beast though, it doesn't have antlers. It was a neat idea but the description of his skull is pretty clear. I think the ironic part of his dream appearance is being on fire from how he most likely died in the real world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

You can only get the Golden Ardeo and the Logarius Wheel from Alfred, and his plotline is literally killing the queen then going insane and killing himself.

This is not a stretch.

Also Ludwig and Laurence are both bosses in the DLC, why would anyone think they were separate, different bosses elsewhere in the game?

Before the DLC came out it was an open question of what happened to all the legendary figures who come up frequently but never explicitly appear in game. It also wasn't clear back then how much the chalice bosses were intended to tie into the main game's story so there was a lot of mixing and matching in a search for meaning.

Buut post DLC it's apparent that most of the chalices are just extra stuff that didn't fit in the main game and the DLC was used to fill in more lore info.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The implication behind that pretty conspicuous sentence is that he or at least his skull still exists outside the nightmare somewhere. But imo sometimes the simplest explanation is the closest to the truth and the Laurence we see in person is all of him there is to find.

His skull is still probably the skull in the cathedral that houses his memories. Since he was the first cleric beast it only makes sense that he was hunted and killed before things got completely out of hand.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

This presumes that a “cleric beast” is a fixed creature that always looks the same, which brings us to a kind of meta question. Obviously all the ones we see in game do, but is that because they meant for that to be true or because of the limitations of gameplay development?

I just find the idea of BLB being Lawrence very interesting and think that it’s not so clear cut that the game directly shot down the idea with The Old Hunters. Even if they directly confirmed that BLB really is Lawrence I don’t think it would change much though.

We have four examples of Cleric beasts and they all have antlers and are all referred to as a specific kind of creature

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

So what? We also have all but confirmed proof that the skull on the altar is Laurence's and it looks nothing like a Cleric Beast head. The description says he turned into a Cleric Beast and the Laurence you fight in the nightmare is one, but that doesn't mean his real world counterpart looks the same or that the Cleric Beast Laurence is even the real guy- I doubt the Orphan you fight in the nightmare is somehow the real thing either.

Your opinion of Yharnam biologists is so low that you think they would name a species after an individual that isn't even a type specimen??? Disgusting

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The item descriptions are explicit about Ebrietas's origins. I'm not saying there's nothing weird going on with her blood but if you want an explanation for that it has to fit the textual information. Just saying she used to be human doesn't make any sense.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No no you need more eyes, not fewer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LionArcher posted:

I’m downloading now and will be a new player. I’m excited.

This makes my head shudder uncontrollably

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Krinkle posted:

The first sentence in the OP says here's a link to chalice dungeon glitch zone for end game weapons now, and I click it, and it's just a list of dungeons that have enemies that are invisible or invincible should I go to one that says it has a severed boss head that acts as a messenger bath is that what I'm looking for to get my lost items or?

You want the image a bit lower:

Main appeals are getting the Burial Blade and Chikage super early, though also Blades of Mercy without killing Eileen, and Beast Claws without having to get deep into chalices.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

how do you get items out of storage? I used up like eight beast pellets because I thought they were buyable with souls but I guess they are an insight only purchase apparently. I know I have twenty in storage at least. Also I have like a billion fire papers that refuse to refill when I go back to the hunters dream so I have to buy a few every time I go back to the chalice dungeon again

The storage box is inside the house, next to the workbench. Only vials and bullets automatically refill.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

That's probably a closer inspiration for the visuals, yeah, but the language Valtr uses makes it pretty clear what they had in mind when they were creating his character.

Your contention is that the crazy constable man who ate a beast and wears a bucket on his head and destroys imaginary centipedes was directly inspired by the US South's secession and subsequent war to maintain their own country and institution of slavery?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Incidentally this is the inspiration of his helmet:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ned...biw=375&bih=553

Also his uniform is blue which would be Union if anything. Which is besides the fact that it's a British constables uniform.

I think you're reading a connection in that does not exist.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 13, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

So I leveled up the Tonitrus where I could equip Circular Gem, but the Fire Gem doesn't seem to have any effect (there's no fire damage shown). :confused: Did I do something wrong, or is there another kind of gem that I need to use?

Why you gonna try to put a fire gem on your electric mace???

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m about to fight the Shadows for the first time and I’m scared as hell to fight 3 guys. Any tips?

Have faith in yourself

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CrRoMa posted:

Dumb question time, I accidentally killed Eileen the Crow during that fight with the enemy hunter in the area you fight Gascogine. Will that lock me out of any trophies?

The only completely unique thing from her quest is her covenant rune, and there's no trophies related to those. Killing her gets you access to her weapon which is the only thing of hers connected to a trophy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

rodbeard posted:

How exactly do those codes work? I wanted to try getting logarius wheel early but when I put the code in it says I don't meet the requirements.

You need to make one random chalice first, putting up the necessary materials. Then you can search for glyphs using the same chalice type.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Buy all the armors

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

So now I've got the Oedeon Tomb key, my next goal is Oedeon chapel?

It'll be a long arduous trek but I'm sure you'll find it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

which chalices do I need to do for story purposes (i.e. to get to Queen Yharnam)?

Pthumeru, Central Pthumeru, Lower Pthumeru, Loran (to get bastards of Loran, so you don't need to complete it), Defiled Pthumeru, and Pthumeru Ithyll.

Additionally you'll need to do either Lower Loran or Isz to get 2 red jellies (you can find the other two in the lecture hall in the main game.)

Make sure you thoroughly explore them all as you'll need basically all the ritual materials you find to make further chalices.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, I'll go for that, but first I'm going to farm up ot 10K so I can open the gate. I don't think I have to do, but its a shortcut I think?

Uh, you can't parry the big jingly axe guy outside Oedeon can you?

The only reason to spend those 10k is if you wanna go through the gate ASAP and not do Old Yharnam first. By going the long way you can open the gate from the other side, for free.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I got the beast cutter and levelled it up +6 before I remembered that materials are rare in this game, how's that weapon?

You can take as many weapons as you want to +6 without reservation because the first two upgrade materials can eventually be bought with echoes. Beyond that is when you want to be more selective as they get a bit harder to obtain in unlimited numbers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm in NG+ though, don't I basically need everything to be +9 with decent gems to be viable?

Yeah probably, I just meant you hadn't screwed yourself by taking it that far if you decide you don't like it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm trying to make a specific isz gravestone chalice and all I have is a great isz chalice. The wiki tells me that's enough if I have the materials, but it's not working. What am I missing?

You need the Isz root chalice to make glyph chalices. Gonna have to go through and beat Ebrietas in the dungeon to get that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wocobob posted:

So I’m not looking for spoilers here, but I just got grabbed by some ghoulies and taken off to an area with a bunch of dudes who kill me in two hits and a giant lightning fucker who feels more like Midir than anyone I should be fighting at this point in the game. Have I wandered into the DLC? Am I way off track? Bloodstarved Beast took me to a dead end, and I don’t see any obvious path forward from here.

No no this is just a semi optional area. You can beat that guy if you want, otherwise just seek out a lantern and warp out of there. Killing BSB caused those kidnappers to spawn, but it also caused another change in Cathedral Ward that will let you progress. It's not the best telegraphed part of the game's progression.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The frenzy resist rune gives your gauge such a huge boost that it more than makes up for the Insight reduction. Put that and some frenzy clothes on and you'll be fine.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

What is happening here? :confused:

A ritual to summon eldritch gods, that was failed, and so a sacrifice was made instead.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's also the wheelchair dude right off the path to Gascoigne who always drops bullets so killing just him every run plus blood bullets should help.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There is only one main path through the game. There are plenty of optional areas but you have to go through the blood moon and all to beat the game. The only thing that changes is there's a secret final boss that you have to get certain items to unlock.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hemwick isn't really continuing on, you could see it in the sunset by just doing it before Amelia.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Qmass posted:

So the chalice one is the uncanny ? What makes that gem config better ? I have the echo shop burial blade up to +8 while I have been testing it. I am still unsure about it - it doesn't seem to interrupt very strongly ?

The hacked chalice one is just so you can get it at the beginning of the game as normally the Burial Blade requires beating the last or second to last boss.

E: I think the reason Fangio suggested that is that in your post you said you were trying to nail down your weapon for NG, indicating you were early on, but you meant NG+ i.e. the second runthrough.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gehrman's last advice is after BSB. You're on your own now.