Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Steve Yun posted:

Lore questions:

Why would the moon presence create the hunt and the hunter’s dream

Why is the wet nurse’s death the end of the hunt

Is Rom hiding Yahargul from the world? Why?

The Great Ones occasionally have an interest in humans, and Gehrman was hosed up by Maria's likely suicide so he made contact with the Moon Presence and brokered the creation of the Hunter's Dream with it. He continues to "live" there with his animated doll that looks and speaks like Maria and seems to have faint memories from her. It's also a way to deal with the diminishing number of hunters, because hunters can't perma-die while they're still able to enter the Dream.

The wet nurse was caring for an infant Great One. The blood rituals the Healing Church does inevitably draw Great Ones to reproduce as part of some cosmic event, and the hunters were created to basically stamp out the bag of flaming dog doo every time that happened. Killing the wet nurse causes the infant Great One to die, which guarantees the night will end again.

Like people said, Rom was a scholar from Byrgenwerth that somehow ascended into a Kin, and acts as a seal that prevents regular Yharnamites from seeing all the creepy poo poo around them like the lesser Amygdalas on the side of their houses. Killing Rom means the seal is broken and the real crazy poo poo can run wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zeerust posted:

Where's the lore for this, again? Is this one of those things that was theorised then basically accepted as common knowledge?

There's a note in a library near the Tome of Oedon that says: "The Byrgenwerth spider hides all manner of rituals and keeps our lost master from us. A terrible shame. It makes my head shudder uncontrollably." Which is probably meant to indicate Rom acts like a dampener that hides the Amygdalas and also blocks the really nasty rituals like the one that created the One Reborn.

There's another note in Byrgenwerth that says pretty much the same thing: "The spider hides all manner of rituals, certain to reveal nothing, for true enlightenment need not be shared."

And then yeah like No. 1 Apartheid Fan said, Micolash says this during his boss fight: "Ahh, Kos or some say Kosm... Do you hear our prayers? As you once did for the vacuous Rom, grant us eyes, grant us eyes."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ixjuvin posted:

good Lord I'm almost sorry I asked. Thanks though, salting this away for later!

Do you plan on farming them for blood gems or do you just want to hit the final bosses for Lore Reasons? The basics are that the chalices with "Root" in their name are the randomized ones, while the ones that don't are the same premade layout for everyone. You have to go through portions of the premades to find the root chalices, and usually beat the second boss of that chalice to get it. You beat the final boss of the chalice to progress to the next premade chalice.

If you're just trying to get to the lore-relevant bosses in the final chalice (Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice) then take some time to clear out a chalice dungeon every couple of bosses after you get the Pthumeru Chalice from the Blood-starved Beast. Use the next chalice you get from final boss of each dungeon to "progress".

The Hintertomb chalices are totally optional, but if you're on your basic NG, you're going to have to go into either the 2nd layer of the Lower Loran Chalice (the second chalice in the Loran chalice progression), or the third layer of the Great Isz Chalice (the first of the Isz chalices) to get enough Red Jellies to open the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice the first time. You'll get 2 Red Jellies from the Lecture Building 1F, too, so you could wait until you can run there on NG+. Chalice progression carries over between subsequent NGs. The Ailing Loran Chalice also has the Beast Claw weapon stashed in it on the second layer.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That's a pretty reasonable progression. The higher depth chalices drop tons of blood echoes with minimal work, so it's easy to make up the difference. The first room of the Ailing Loran Chalice layer 1 is full of bedsheet muppets that net you 30-70k blood echoes from clearing them out, if you have some blood echo-boosting caryll runes on.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of chalice dungeons a fellow goon and I got back on the Bloodborne wagon trying to finish getting that platinum trophy. It went about as well as one could expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwc-K4jWf8A

That was me on my last run too. Amygdala is weird because the last 25% of its HP is by far the easiest bit when all it wants to do is hop around and graciously offer its head to you.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

StashAugustine posted:

thoughts:

-is there a good way to tell which stuff can be visceraled? it seems like most humanoids can be parried but the timing is weird, and i managed to get one of those giants in the courtyard staggered by wailing on its leg but idk what the rules are. on that note, does poise work like in dark souls? its hard to figure out which enemies can be stunned

There's a point in almost all the physical attacks for normal enemies, hunters, and humanoid bosses that can be parried. The more inhuman bosses normally can't be parried but hitting certain parts of their bodies enough will trigger a stumble that leaves them open for visceral attacks.

To your earlier question about Old Yharnam or the Cathedral Ward: Old Yharnam is optional but you can beat the boss in it to unlock a door near the Cathedral Ward lamp and get into the back side of the Cathedral Ward without buying that expensive token from the bath messengers. Otherwise you need to buy that token to progress.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Use a shaman's bone blade and make one of the shark dudes your full party

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The Moon Monster posted:

I just did it yesterday, I think you only have to kill the unarmed one. I just did it the old fashioned way but I ended up on the brink of death with something like 0 vials and 3 bullets left.

Yeah the second one that drops down the well is the one who swallowed it or whatever. If you can manage to kill that one on its own you could get the weapon.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Illuyankas posted:

Logarius is equally weak to blood as he is to physical damage which are his lowest resistances, according to this anyway.

His defenses against physical, thrust, blunt, and blood are all the same, yeah:

https://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/03/martyr-logarius.html

He's slightly more resistant to fire and slightly more than that to bolt, and also highly resistant to arcane damage.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zipperelli. posted:

First souls-type game, and yup, I've been making good use of the lock-on. I'm kinda bummed that there's no easier way to switch between targets than looking at them, but :shrug:

I can sprint past the bonfire, and I take the path with the dog cages that's blocked with wooden coffins. At one point I actually somehow got past the wolves on the bridge using a shortcut of some kind, but was quickly slaughtered after that, with no checkpoint in sight.

The first big shortcut is near the dog cages, if it helps. It leads to another shortcut and acts like a linked path to a couple important places you'll be visiting a lot at the start of the game. Explore all the alleys and buildings to see if any of them have doors or concealed paths behind boxes or barrels.

Be sure to try talking to all the doors and windows with lit lamps near them, too. A few NPCs are friendly and will give you tips or ask for help. You can sort of use the NPC doors as makers to keep track of where you are, too, because they all have unique reactions to you.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 12, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lord Sexatron posted:

Any disadvantages on buying a used copy of Dark Souls Trilogy? Is 10 bucks less on a copy worth it or is there a liner key that I should know about that offsets the cost? (not interested in pc version, box aint poo poo)

The Dark Souls Trilogy is cool if you've never played the games before. I'm not aware of any product key requirements that would make it harder to play a used copy.

Do keep in mind that the Souls games have a much slower speed (movement-wise and combat-wise) than Bloodborne, and that might take some time to acclimate to. DS3 is the closest in design, but it's filled with a lot of callbacks and references that you need to go through DS1, and 2, and even Demon's Souls to pick up on. DS1 and DS2 both have some jank and some awkward bits where they ran out of budget or time, but the DLCs for both are the best parts of their respective games and have some of the best bosses in the series in them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

jit bull transpile posted:

blood rapture is the greatest rune and informed my playstyle for my first five or so runs.

Blood Rapture is nice, and so is Oedon Writhe. I stopped having to farm quicksilver bullets ever after I got that one.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

drrockso20 posted:

After Rom there isn't really a super good place to farm them, but you'll still find a good amount as you progress and eventually you'll be able to buy them with Blood Echoes, and by that point getting large amounts of Blood Echoes is pretty trivial

The blue-eyed wolves Guillermus pointed out in the Upper Cathedral ward drop twin stone shards pretty regularly. If you're farming them for chunks, you'll be bursting with single and twin blood stone shards by the time you get enough chunks to upgrade a weapon.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i've ignored the chalice stuff, should i peek inside one?

If you like randomized dungeon crawlers and doing challenge runs, the chalice dungeons can be fun.

If you run through them, you'll find better blood gems than you'd ever get in the base game, and weapon variants down there have blood gem slots that suit them to certain builds better than the standard versions. The Beast Claw weapon is also only found in the Ailing Loran chalice, if you want to try out all the weapons in the game. The lower depth chalices dump tons of blood echoes on you, too. There are some popular randomized chalices you can find on various wikis or reddit posts where it's fairly easy to farm blood stone chunks and rocks as well. Plus, are a lot of bosses in the chalices that you can't encounter otherwise, and you'll get an achievement for progressing through all the fixed Pthumeru chalices and beating the "final" boss of the last one. There's some lore significance to the Pthumeru chalices, as they're the source of the beast blood Laurence used to found the Healing Church.

The biggest con is that it's the same structure and visually the chalices are pretty same-y, which can start to wear on you. Some of the bosses are also pretty darn annoying, and one of the mandatory fixed Pthumeru chalices is automatically cursed and halves your health while having you fight some particularly nasty bosses.

If any of that sounds interesting, you can try them out. You can also come back in later NG cycles, as you progression through them persists even after you beat the final boss.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 23, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

OK good, I wasn't sure about it so I left the dungeon up on the gravestone because I wasn't sure if something else was supposed to happen.

Also I was shocked at how good the blood gems I got on the first chalice dungeon were. Got a few that gave me +12% physical damage, which boosted the damage output on my +6 saw spear significantly.

The only fixed chalice with secrets it's possible to miss are the illusory walls in the Lower Pthumeru Chalice. There's only one per floor in it though. Otherwise, once you hit the heart lamp and poked into all the rooms all you'll keep the chalice around for is farming blood echoes/gems/ritual materials.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Also, if you don't want to clear out the place you discovered at the top of the ladder right away, you can revisit it after the state of the world changes again and it will be much easier, too. Whichever way you choose to do it, you'll get different item rewards.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

wyoming posted:

Though speaking of friends, as I was running from a giant shark man in the fishing hamlet, it uh, clipped through the wall and killed Simon. So RIP whatever resolution he had to tell me about. Did get the key to finish the assassin off anyway.

If that was in the hut in the fishing hamlet, all he does is gasp out a warning about the ringing bells and bites it, so you didn't miss much.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You want to be extra careful you don't accidentally smack any NPCs in the Nexus though because you get locked out of using your extra storage if you kill Stockpile Thomas.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Frog Act posted:

Oh poo poo that’s awesome, I guess I just mixed up there being no pvp with it being basically like Sekiro. Do you need a PS+ for it to work?

There are NPC summons, some of which are only visible if you have a certain covenant caryll rune equipped or by befriending certain NPCs. Like the Souls games though, there are some fights where a human is better because the NPC AI can't deal with the boss too well. You'll also see notes everywhere and be able to rate them with PS+, just like in the Souls games. They're pretty handy in Bloodborne because if a note you leave is rated "fine", you get instantly restored to full HP. (Similar stuff happens in some of the Souls games but not others, too.)

Simply Simon posted:

Yes, and that's the crux for many people.

I also think it's not quite like Souls multiplayer, because you need to spend Insight to summon, whereas in Souls it's completely free. Especially at the start, Insight is quite limited. Also, the Summonee doesn't really gain much (except, well, Insight) - in Souls, you'd get turned Human, but that doesn't exist in BB...

Summoning in souls wasn't cost-free since you had to consume the humanity-restoring item in each Souls game to see summon signs. The biggest difference between Bloodborne and a Souls game is you can't tell if you're in an area where there's high multiplayer activity by looking for how many summon/PvP signs are on the ground. It's still a safe bet that you'll find people near boss fogs though. The number of messengers you see clinging to a lamp is an indicator of how many people within your summon range are in the zone, but honestly it's only very noticeable in the chalice dungeons.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Frog Act posted:

Is it still pretty active today? When I first got into the souls games in like 2014/15 I was playing the PTDE with DSCM and there was basically nobody around ever.

Also are there things like vagrants? I actually got one of those in DS despite being connected to like 30 people total

You'll still find people around the major story bosses and general toughies, but summoning can take a while on off-hours. Worst case scenario, you can find help by asking for it in the thread here, too. There's nothing like DS1's vagrants, and beyond standard summoning/invading and note mechanics, the covenants in Bloodborne (and any associated player interaction) are more limited than in DS1-3. Playing through Sekiro, I do miss the heartening/funny notes people leave near bosses in the other games though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
An uncanny version of the wheel would be ideal for gem-slotting purposes. You can probably find one in a hacked dungeon pretty easily, if you want. The lost version would be #2, and the normal one a distant 3 because yeah the gem slots on it aren't great in any situation.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Christ that's disappointing to hear. Maybe I'll just start the Last Guardian and wait for the Switch port wherein I expect such visuals :newlol:

You're joking but good luck waiting for any ports of this. Maybe they'll do some fancy remaster for the PS5 at some point but that's the best maybe you can hope for.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nuts and Gum posted:

No I seriously thought I saw a video on youtube with the switch intro showing bloodborne lol. Maybe I have been had. :(

I'm not too far into the game so maybe I'll change my mind, but so far it's just been dark and aliasy.

Honestly, I dial up the brightness settings on all the Souls games all the way, and I'm sure that makes me a monster with the aesthetic taste of a blind hog but it minimizes the issue I have being able to make things out on my tv without turning my living room into a black crypt, and I get to comfortably kill werewolves on a couch, so I count it as a win. I'm here to grind a buzzsaw on a stick into something's rear end and Bloodborne delivers in droves on that front.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

I had no issues with BB but I got to the final boss on Sekiro on my non-pro PS4 and it was miserable for me, the timing on some things was so critical on some fights I’m pretty sure it was making the game waaay harder

I've got a normal PS4 and the end boss of Sekiro wasn't bad for me. Now, that area with the 20 or so macaques all hanging out in one spot guarding monkey booze made the Research Hall scholar blobs feel like they came from a 4K 60 FPS re-release of Bloodborne.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Those loving monkeys got precisely what they deserved

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You'd tap the legs a few times in the final mode to bait out the jump, then move in the direction the tail was to stand ready for Amy to graciously land with its head bowed right next to you, too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

I think morallyobjected is referring to the boss fight? If you fight the Witches of Hemwick and have no insight (so like, die/teleport out and spend what you get from first starting the fight down to 0) they can't summon the Mad Ones in the fight at all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Digirat posted:

The reward for killing paarl is not much, just come back when your weapon is more upgraded.

The reward for Paarl is friendship, and that's always worth it.

Unless you already killed Djura.... you now well-dressed monster.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Veib posted:

You don't even need the Paarl door for this. After you've seen Parl, not even beaten, you can just come back up from the BSB lamp and he'll be friendly.

Yeah, you can clear all of Old Yharnam except for killing Djura, then go see Paarl initially and that's Djura's de-aggro flag. All you have to do is make sure you don't attack any of the muppets within his line of sight and he'll be cool with you. (His line of sight miiight extend into the church below him, but it definitely doesn't extend into the streets below that, so you can kill everything near the BSB with impunity.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

WatermelonGun posted:

Hello. I beat this bad boy like 3 years ago doing a pure arc run. I got the kos parasite and beat the moon presence and went about my business. I want to play bloodborne again and have several questions:
-is ng+ fun, and should i just do that (i think i started doing this and got just past papa siciliano)
-if it is not, is being a goober with the gunpowder guild (?) weapons fun and not some dumb hard mode?
-i briefly hosed around with chalice dungeons during my first playthrough and found them less than fun. should i do them this time?
ty for your time

edit: this is the worst snipe ever im sorry

NG+ lets you use weapons your current build accommodates but that aren't easily accessible until late in the game, which can be fun because a lot of those weapons are cool. If you want a completely fresh build, a new character is better for that.

The whirligig saw and boom hammer count as a Powder Keg weapon and they rule, so go for it!

The chalice dungeons are useful for a few reasons:

1. If you want to fight the unique bosses down there just for the novelty of it or to see some lore-significant ones firsthand
2. The platinum trophy
3. Hacked chalice dungeons that let you access all of the non-DLC weapons super early
4. Stronger blood gems than you'll ever get in the base game, which is especially useful for Arcane builds
5. The higher depth chalice dungeons will net you a ton of blood echoes with minimal risk

If you want to go through them, they do get repetitive, but you can space them out between actual game zones to kill some of the monotony.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Sometimes you can have these things called "phobias" that make you behave "irrationally"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ThomasPaine posted:

For sure but there's a difference between an actual thing and a cartoon version of it. It's like freaking out at the film 'antz' because you hate ants.

Phobias can be set off by images or videos... that is a level beyond hating something or finding it yucky irl. If someone can grit their teeth and rush through it, then good for them. If they can't I don't blame them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ThomasPaine posted:

Fair enough, it just seems kind of silly to me but then I guess all irrational fears seem silly to those without them. No offence meant.

It's fine, I mean I don't have a spider phobia so I'm not bothered by that, but as a literal oversized infant I can never forgive you for that comment

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Frog Act posted:

I started out with the former soldier, I think, and right now my plan is to do a quality type build since that worked for me in DS3. Is that workable? I saw some online that seem to be 50 VIT 50 STR 40 SKI and that seems to be a decent thing to aspire to.

Quality builds are fine in Bloodborne. Ludwig's Holy Blade is the premiere quality weapon, but most of the strength weapons benefit from skill investment, too, because skill determines how much base damage your visceral attacks do.

Frog Act posted:

how do you summon dudes? i found a mask and got an insight when I walked into the cleric beast's arena but I both don't know how to summon people and am concerned it will be hard to get enough insight.

Like you guessed, you'll ring the Beckoning Bell (or the Old Hunter Bell on some NPCs) and when your bell resonates with a Small Beckoning Bell someone in another world rang, they'll appear and consume 1 of your insight. NPCs are in fixed locations that you'll see if you have any insight and will be a little pillar of red light with a ringing noise. You'll pick up some free insight from seeing most bosses the first time, and more from beating them. You'll also gain insight from being summoned to other worlds and helping beat the bosses there. There's other story beats or things you'll see in the world that will also give more insight, and you can consume the Madmen's Knowledge or Great One's Wisdom items for more (plus another item but that one has story significance).

Unless you're summoning and getting annihilated on bosses a ton, it's hard to run out of insight that way, but there's also an insight shop with some good items and NPC outfits in it later that might eat up a lot of your insight. Higher insight also makes some areas of the game harder for various reasons, though, so going much higher than 10 isn't a good idea unless you like a challenge.

Frog Act posted:

is there anywhere else i can get urns? i wanna beat the cleric beast, and i read urn + molotov helps, but i'm assuming he will own me the next time i try him and i will lose those. though i dodged him okay the first time, i assume he has a second stage.

Urns+molotovs is a fine strategy against the Cleric Beast because all beasts are super weak to fire, but keeping close to it and doding into its tiny noodle arm will also do you a lot of good. Serrated weapons also deal 20% more damage to beasts, so if you have access to the saw cleaver in its saw mode, the saw spear, or the whip form of the threaded cane, then it's a good boss to try those out on. (It also hates being shot it in the head.)

Frog Act posted:

sekiro hosed me up and I couldn't beat it but I had a lot of fun beating DS3 with a quality build, so I'm hoping BB is a little closer to DS3 than Sekiro in terms of parry emphasis

Bloodborne is a pretty clear transitory stage between Sekiro and the Souls games, and actually pretty good for practicing parrying in. Parry timing with the default pistol is pretty similar to parry timing in Sekiro, but you have more of a cushion from doing it at a longer range. There's also a pretty wide window where you can make an enemy stumble during a lot of attacks even while they're hitting you, and if you recover and dodge forward quickly you may still be able to get a visceral in. The rally mechanic with the HP also means it feels less like you screwed up bad on a miss, too, because you can recover a lot of the lost HP with a few quick swipes. The game also expects you to learn how to parry when fighting the enemy hunter NPCs and humanoid bosses, and you'll have a rough time on them if you don't.

Frog Act posted:

ed: what determines who gets your blood echoes? i got killed by those stupid werewolves last night and when I went back and killed them they didn't drop my 7k be

If you die close to an enemy or on a walking route for a roaming enemy, your blood echoes will be absorbed by them. If you die too far away, they're just a pool on the ground like in the Souls games.

Frog Act posted:

i also got some heavier armor, the hunters garb, but it doesn't seem to have changed my roll speed. is that not a thing in BB?

There's not really a carry load in bloodborne. I've heard people say that it can impact fall damage, but if it does it's not substantial because I've never noticed that. Certain armors can have better resistances to fire, bolt, poison, and frenzy like in the Souls games, but mostly it's a matter of what you think looks nice.

Frog Act posted:

also also also, i see bloodtinge effects quicksilver bullets but isn't necessary in quality, are QSB weapons basically never going to do damage and are just for parrying outside of highly specialized builds? it just seems important as half of my loadout

Quicksilver bullets can do some good damage paired with Bone Marrow Ash, but bloodtinge-focused build will do it better.

Frog Act posted:

Thanks dudes. I think I’m gonna summon father gascoigne and try the cleric beast out shortly with these tips, after I get my echoes back from the shamefully low tier enemy that slew me last

Apparently he’s a free summon or whatever and doesn’t count to the limit, according to the wiki, so if I ring my bell will I basically just see summon signs in the typical souls fashion?

Gascoigne isn't a "free" summon, in that he'll still consume an insight when you summon him. After you've run the bell to summon an NPC though, your bell aura is up and can pull humans who ran the Small Resonant Bell into your world, too.

Frog Act posted:

awesome, thanks. follow up: I beat the cleric beast and is it worth investing in bloodtinge for things like the repeating pistol? just enough to use them, in this case going from 7-8

Repeating pistol is very good for PvP but it eats through your quicksilver bullet stock very fast and might not be a good idea for your first round of PvE unless you're going for a bloodtinge build. If you're not planning on putting a lot into bloodtinge, the basic pistol and blunderbuss can take you to the end of the game fine. Some people like Ludwig's Rifle too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blaziken386 posted:

personally, I found the blunderbuss to be a better parry weapon, because a lot of enemies' parry windows involves them moving towards you quickly, and the pistol has a habit of missing at inopportune moments

certainly made it a lot easier to clown on BSB:
https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1173048803747749889

The only gun I've had bad misses with was the Evelyn, because the long barrel will sometimes stick out of the back of or shoot over an enemy's head. :shobon:

I think once you get the parry timing down on either the pistol or blunderbuss, the cons of the other gun make it feel awkward and unnatural to use, but either one is fine and has great pros in its favor.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blaziken386 posted:

well then it's lucky you don't actually have to touch lower loran at all to get through all the pthumeru chalices, huh

also, gonna advocate for platinuming the game, if only because the PS4 theme you get for doing it (generally after waiting a week or two and then messaging customer support, lol) is snazzy as gently caress

If you're trying to clear the chalices on a straight NG run, you'll need to either go into the Lower Loran or Great Isz chalice to get a full 4 red jellies to lay the final Pthumeru chalice, because you can only find 2 red jellies in the Lecture Building per playthrough. But if CRIP EATIN BREAD is going on a NG+ character, then they can pick up the extra jellies there and be good to go.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blaziken386 posted:

Fair.
Though, if it's a choice between Loran and Isz, Isz is easier and has better gems, so

I think the temptation is there if you're already mostly through the Ailing Loran chalice to get the beast claw and it doesn't feel too much further, but it can be pretty rough.

ThomasPaine posted:

Where can I get ritual blood (3) from reliably? I very foolishly sold some because it was worth a lot and I wanted to level and now I'm one short of the amount I need for the lower pthemeru chalice

E: kind of surprised at how easy watchdog, descendent and keeper went down with a pure skill build using the cane. Maybe I'm overleveled. I assume the difficulty lifts off in lower/defiled/great labyrinths?

The bagmen in central pthumeru layer 3 should drop ritual blood (3) occasionally.

The defiled chalice is the most unpleasant on the main path, just because halving your HP means that getting hit at all is that much worse for you. Other than that the other chalice bosses are pretty fun and not overly difficult.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Frog Act posted:

none yet actually, lol, I just have this distinct feeling the bottom of the stairs under this statue i opened with a lever will be a boss arena. there's also another place past these enormous fucky giants that I assume is a boss that will wreck me too, so I figure I'll need summons for those. i figure if i have a lot of trouble i'll use the subreddit/this thread

The top of the Cathedral Ward has a boss, yeah, but you don't have to go for it right away. There's a long optional path to the left immediately before the boss zone, and a shorter optional path to the right.

There isn't a boss immediately after the hidden stairway you open with a lever in the Cathedral Ward either, but there's another semi-optional path down that way you can explore. I call it semi-optional because clearing that area lets you get around having to buy the Hunter Chief Emblem that you need to progress up in the Cathedral Ward. If you already bought that emblem though, then it's just another path that unlocks some more nice things.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

scary ghost dog posted:

i believe the semi-optional path to which you refer is the pair of doors & elevator that opens up next to the cathedral ward lantern after beating old yharnam. if this is the case, Frog Act absolutely must explore this area

Yeah the door by the lantern is the second bit of the path, and the part that lets you access the back portion of the Cathedral Ward. Old Yharnam is down under that stone sarcophagus that slides back. It's definitely worth doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The saw spear hunter also has really fussy tethering AI that you can abuse, if you want. He feels uncomfortable going down the stairs but he'll try to rush you if you stand down there, then immediately backpedal. If you want an honorable duel, you can fight him just at the top of the stairs and the area near it without worrying about being machine gunned, iirc. Parrying all the hunters well makes them a cake walk though, yeah.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 20, 2019