Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Doing my first playthrough since I bought the game the day it released. I've gone into it as blind as I can despite having read and listened to lore discussions about it for years. How much optional stuff have I locked myself out of by killing Rom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Oh ok, friend of mine told me there might be some side quest stuff I couldn't do now but wasn't sure what. Guess I'll break down and Google it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
No clue, I've tried to avoid any outside help as much as I can. It's not a big deal if I miss anything this run, I'm already planning another after I finish. Game is just too good.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
It only took me 5 years but I finally finished one playthrough. I took a break for a few days right at Orphan and started last night with the expectation that'd take me awhile to beat him and then I did it in 2 tries. I beat Laurence in one but it took me about 15 vials, I had a hard time getting a bead on him in the last phase. As much as I tried to figure out things for myself I ended up looking up how to get the dlc weapons I was missing so I could get all the trophies. After that I knocked at MWN, Gehrman, and Moon Presence and immediately started a NG+ and made it up to cathedral ward. I don't usually give a poo poo about trophies but I think I may actually go after the plat. I'm using a guide this playthrough to try and complete all the quests and get all the items I missed the first time. The game is a masterpiece and my new favorite PS4 game, probably top 3 of all time.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I gave up trying to dodge Gehrman and ended up having to parry and visceral him to death and I'm not great at parrying. Thankfully the run back is short.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Haha whirligig saw go brrrrrr

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
https://twitter.com/hamsystem_/status/1331837774056595464?s=19

Started an arcane run and my first death is my favorite to date.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Top hat and cane in the streets, Executioner's Set with Gold Ardeo in the sheets. Or vice versa.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Decided to finally knock the plat out after 4 or 5 playthroughs and almost 200 hours played. Now onto another 200 hours.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
For a beast claw build which carryl runes do y'all like to run?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
For regular Rom I recommend a healthy dose of arcane power:

https://twitter.com/hamsystem_/status/1345228867628380161?s=09

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I think I was 99 at this point. I went straight arcane while leveling, just full on glass cannon.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I was working on chalice stuff for awhile so it didn't seem like a ton of grinding but I'd have to double check how many hours that save has.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Church pick is also a solid choice for smacking things overhead.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Last Celebration posted:

Question from a new player? Is there maybe something im missing, or is there no way to check how much blood vials you have in storage unless you’re buying them? Also, what’s the best way to farm them early on? I’m making progress on Father Gascogine through trial and error but yeah. I’m guessing just mowing down the two big guys near him since they have the highest drop rates from what I can tell.

After you unlock the gate to the left of the central Yharnam lamp the 2 brick trolls down the stairs have a high chance to drop a couple each. Farm those plus spend the blood echoes on vials until you have a comfortable stockpile.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I've been doing playthroughs with different weapons on a character with all offensive stats maxed and my experience as to what the best weapons have been are

1: Threaded Cane
2: Church Pick
3: Pizza Cutter
4: Rakuyo
5: Saw Cleaver/Spear

The caveat being I only have good physical gems so some weapons may be underperforming. I just started a bowblade run last night and only made it through CB and Father G but I it's hilariously strong so far. I've done HMS, LHB, and Burial blade too but I just prefer the faster weapons.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

scary ghost dog posted:

if you have all offensive stats maxed you are going to flip out when you try the beast claws

Funny you should mention them since I just leveled them last night for my next playthrough. Looking forward to some wolfman cosplay.

Edit: new page content

Someone posted these on Reddit awhile back and I couldn't resist:

They're coming from Aliexpress so they should get here by the time Elden Ring releases. Funny how I bought a ps5 that I mostly use to play a ps4 game that's totally unoptimized for it.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 27, 2021

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

scary ghost dog posted:

if you have all offensive stats maxed you are going to flip out when you try the beast claws

I went ahead and started running beast claws and embrace rune last night and holy poo poo you weren't kidding. I killed most of the bosses between BSB up to one reborn with very little effort. I didn't even realize I could buff them with paper until shadows of Yharnam. This is definitely up there as one of my favorite runs so far.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
First time I encountered him I got back on the ladder and as I was climbing down he just walked off the edge and died.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
If you really want the gesture you can still aggro him, just don't kill anything in old Yharnam. Run straight to and kill BSB, unlock the snatchers, get sent to jail, and at least get the insight from Paarl or kill him. After that you should be able to run to him from the back way by Paarl or the BSB lamp and come up the back way. Just don't kill anything on the return trip either and he should be friendly.

hamsystem fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 29, 2021

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
https://twitter.com/hamsystem_/status/1355356283277340674?s=09

It's just Micolash but drat if it wasn't satisfying.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I played Sekiro up to guardian ape and I liked it just fine but the more I played the more I just wished I was playing more BB so I put it down for now. A fun side effect though is that I'm now pretty good at parrying where I used to be dogshit at it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
https://youtu.be/ixeB-ZpjTQI

God drat I love the threaded cane.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

lite_sleepr posted:

How do you all fancy the church pick? I got it yesterday, waaaaay before I had any business having it and I'm leveling it up to +9.

Church pick rules, it's my second favorite weapon behind the cane.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
It sucks the "explode him with executioner's gloves spam" strat doesn't work on Rom in NG+.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Lawrence still kicks my rear end every playthrough. I don't know why but it always takes me 10+ tries to kill him.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

same, it should be easy, its just loving cleric beast with fire, but its either faster, or a different timing, or something and its just like i loving forget everything and then im on fire and i die

Yep, pretty much the same experience for me. And when he starts crawling around on the floor it's like my brain can't logic out what to do and I just end up standing in fire or forgetting how dodge works.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
My stickers came in:

They got slightly wrinkled in shipping and someone with more patience than me probably could put them on perfect but for what I paid I'm happy with them.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

RaySmuckles posted:

threaded cane for everything

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
If you can, grab one of the runes that refunds bullets on a successful parry. You can get the best (+3) version out of some of the shared dungeons. I forget the name of it but I basically never run without it.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I always try to stay in front of her and focus on her head like here: https://youtu.be/ixeB-ZpjTQI

The chalice one is tougher but I use the same general strategy.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

sigher posted:

Can someone explain to me the Living Failures Bloodechoes glitch? I'm on NG+2 and pushing LVL 250~ and the XP gain is painful at this point (around 800K~ for a single upgrade). I just want to hit max level and max weapons with the quickness. I saw one guide that said to Visceral one for the final bit of HP then quickly get a Visceral on another one and it compounds the rune XP buffs for some reason, but then another video I saw just hand the dude Visceral every single failure over and over without the double kill at the end and he still got all of the Bloodechoes.

What's even going on with this glitch?

I did it the "double visceral at the end way". It took me about 10 tries to get it right. I watched a video that said you have something like 6 seconds between each visceral to get it to work and that was pretty much my experience with it. When I finally succeed I managed to charged R2+visceral one as another was coming at me at the same time.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

sigher posted:

What's the best to level if you're beyond the softcaps? I'm at like... 304 with STR up to 80 and I just dump a point every hour or so when I finally get to the point of having 900K~ echoes to finally spend. It's grueling and I just want to max out for the sake of doing so. That's why I asked about the Living Failures glitch but just wasn't having any luck pulling it off.

https://youtu.be/0a1bIG1smsY

I did this a few times before I did the living failure glitch. Only difference is I just skipped the third guy since the first two give 900k and killing #3 took about as long as just killing the first 2 and hunter's marking back to the lamp.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Bust Rodd posted:

oh no I have to keep playing bloodborne oh nooo

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

scary ghost dog posted:

going to high NG+ numbers offers a more balanced experience with a greater variety of available weapons, since you can get two more to +10 with every playthrough. plus, a character with practically maxed stats can use arcane tools with bloodtinge weapons and other interesting options.

Yeah this is the reason I've stuck to one max level character for most of my playthroughs. I've already seen everything, I just want to try out different weapon and rune combinations at this point.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Gascoigne's set can be pretty good your first time through against BSB if you're having trouble with the poison. But fashion trumps all stats.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Bust Rodd posted:

Bloodborne is the only game in my life I have ever beaten more than 3 times.

:same:

I stopped counting after 6. It'd probably be easier to figure out which weapons I haven't played through with yet and figure it out from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Owns