Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Darth Walrus posted:

ARC/SKL works with the Blades of Mercy and the Burial Blade. I can see BOMs and an Augur being a fearsome combo, especially since Arcane gives you the reach that your melee weapons lack.

This is basically what I did as soon as I could get Blades of Mercy (Yes I murdered Aileen like a shitpiece). Then I got Burial Blade and holy poo poo between the phenomenal moveset on that thing and the arcane tools I was dunking whatever I ran into. Granted, this wasn't until the endgame, but I felt very rewarded with the end product. Just required a fair bit more work to get it to, well, work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Digirat posted:

Arcane scaling gives you a negligible part of the damage on blade of mercy and burial blade. It's a tiny bonus which will be nice if you're building for arcane tools anyway, but skill is going to give you the great majority of your damage and until you get a lot of skill you're going to be far better off converting an all physical weapon into an element weapon.

I can't think of any split damage weapons that are actually good with only an investment in arcane and not the strength/skill that scales the physical part of their damage. I would pick something versatile like the beast cutter or beast hunter saif and main that as an elemental weapon until you're at the point where you have enough skill to make a physical/arcane weapon worth it. This won't happen until depth 4 or so if you're prioritizing arcane for your tools.

Yeah you're definitely right. I just chose to be difficult and stuck with the Blades of Mercy before moving onto the Burial Blade.

Also, I'm gonna spend the night getting crunk and doing chalice dungeon stuff, but I'm feeling like engaging in some jolly co-op if anyone needs help with anything or just wants to pal around. Add me as RayjenkinsSA or post I guess.

Edit: Don't expect help now, but still add me and ask whenever.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 9, 2017

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

tweet my meat posted:

So what kind of Arc investment do I need for the hunter tools to be worth it as a side thing?

I mostly want to use skill and arcane because I focused on str with a bit of bloodtinge on my last playthrough I never finished.

Fair warning that if you actually want damaging arcane tools to be useful, you'll need to invest heavily. It's not uncommon to max it out to 99 if you're going for damage, but this is totally worth it since arcane is unique in that the scaling can INCREASE when you're 80+ deep into it.

Take a look at this to get a better idea of what I mean: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XYzO2js7ggvPEg8125SIKDo6anvqirI2Dxj2JvYR0uM/edit#gid=809286738

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

drrockso20 posted:

Worth mentioning that both the gloves and augur will clown over a lot of bosses and NPC Hunters Cause their AI can't handle it

To add, if it's humanoid, you can probably safely knock it on it's rear end with augur. If it's big, you can likely still stagger it and give it pause, buying you time.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Hey if I wanna grab the beast claws to rip and tear, should I just go SKL/STR?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

tweet my meat posted:

Nope, first try yet again on BSB, also on undead giant. Stayed up close and never left. Please help me thread I'm too good at the game. :smug:

It'll probably pick up when I start fighting some bosses that aren't weak to serration and fire, because holy poo poo BSB just melted under the whip+fire paper. I also really didn't drag my feet any on getting my cane to +5, so once I get to an area where that's normal it'll probably get a bit tougher.

Yeah to be fair, the whip + fire is a powerful combo early on, since you're using serration and fire against beasts.

Your skill does 100% play a part though, since I decided to start a new character with the axe and blunderbuss and at this point I clown on anything that isn't post-Byrgenwerth.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

tweet my meat posted:

I used the hunter axe last playthrough, and as much as I love that thing, the cane's won me over as my favorite starter weapon with its fantastic cane moveset for single combat and the amazing whip moveset which is perfect for groups, beasts, and big bosses. It's probably the roughest start of the three choices, but god drat it gets going quick. The cleaver is still for nerds.

I also got the hunter's bone, and it seems pretty neat, but not quite my thing, but it's cool to actually be using a spell!

Word. Get the Augur immediately to get a taste of a powerful and useful tool.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

CodfishCartographer posted:

You could, but they get more out of strength so if you wanna dump into that it'd be fine. The fastest way to get the claws is to kill Amelia, unlock hunter's nightmare and beat Amygdala, and rush through Pthumeru and central Pthumeru to unlock lower Pthumeru. To unlock ailing Loran you need 4 cold blood flowerbuds, which you can find in hunter's nightmare, and 9 Ritual Blood (4)s, which you can farm from the bag men in the first layer of lower Pthumeru. Once you farm all that, you can rush to get the claws from Ailing Loran.

The base claws are pretty rad, but the beast rune version is the best thing. However you need to beat Ludwig and Laurence, and that loving sucks unless you're like level 80. On the other hand, once you do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq_vyiZxV-w

Excellent advice. So should I cap STR at 50 and go from there, while increasing END and VIT?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Any nerds willing to help me out in Ailing Loran layer 1? Just need to kill Beast-Possessed Soul so I can get to these damned claws. I'm level 41 at the moment. PW is lljk.

Oh also I'm RayjenkinsSA.

Edit: Nevermind got it myself. Just needed to not suck.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 17, 2017

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

CodfishCartographer posted:

Still need help?

Hah nah I got it, but it figures that my edit was just 1 minute after your post. I just decided to be patient and not get annihilated by his flurry of attacks and parry him like 20 times to death.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

tweet my meat posted:

Aren't blue eyed werewolves supposed to drop chunks? I'm 7 runs deep at upper cathedral ward with 308 discovery and haven't got any drops better than twin shards.

You're not going to start seeing chunks until Cainhurst friend.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 18, 2017

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

tweet my meat posted:

So what's the Iron Keep bridge or the Pontiff's courtyard of Bloodborne? Is there a particular spot everyone goes to pvp?

Nightmare Frontier mostly.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Couple questions, since I'm considering just buying a PS4 pro and giving my PS4 slim to my brother:

1: I can just re-download Bloodborne onto the PS4 pro since I bought it on my PS account I assume?

2: My saves aren't cloud based are they? Will I need to start from scratch? Could I just plug in an external drive and transfer the save?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

celeryman posted:

Beat the orphan of kos. Once again, it was a whirlygig user who just stun locked that fucc boi and his meat yo-yo.

Hamlet was kinda neat, but gently caress the giant shark men.

I did find a use for the shaman knife though: use them on the Super Shark Bros in the well for some fun 1v1 action. Rakuyo is mine, though I'll probably never use it.

I was able to finish the first level of the Defiled Pthumeru Chalice, thanks to the HMS. I just used charged R2 and L2's on the stupid watcher and kept knocking her down. Then I ran that defiled dungeon with all 3 moon runes on until I maxed out my vials and bullets in storage.

Now I need another blood rock to get my HMS to 10, and I'll be ready to press onto deeper chalices.

I don't think I'm ready to fight Gerhman yet. I want to keep milking NG for as long as I can.

Random thought:

Have you tried to follow through with a fully charged R2? When you perform a full R2, just hitting R2 again. You might already know this but I didn't get that immediately so I just wanna make this a PSA just in case.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 28, 2017

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is there any reason to upgrade guns further than +1 unless I'm drowning in shards?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

If you're SKL/BLT a fully upgraded gun can do really respectable damage. My +9 Evelyn with 50 BLT hits for >200 a shot.

To add, if you don't care about bullet efficiency, the repeating pistol will really gently caress poo poo up.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

big cummers ONLY posted:

Thanks Rayjenkins. Those fights were fun as hell.

Yeah, sorry I blew it the first couple times. been a while since I've fought Ludwig. STR/ARC is pretty drat good for helping though.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

melodicwaffle posted:

shame that alfred turned out to be kind of a psychopath, holy poo poo that scene with anna was brutal

Context is important here. Do you understand the scope of the events?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

JBP posted:

Holy moonlight sword is awesome. Boom hammer might get a bit boring due to its moveset being limited, whirligig is good times forever if you enjoy it (most do).

Seconding the Holy Moonlight Sword. It's so goddamn good and versatile and it has the best bullet/damage economy spell in the game.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Hey is an arcane Rakuyo any good? What version should I grab?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Actually having a lot of fun with a BLT/ARC using a Simon’s Bowblade and then Bloodletter I rushed as soon as I could. Thanks to the false depth and T3 rune dungeons, I was able to get enough resources to take on all the DLC bosses except OoK, and I haven’t even killed Rom yet. It’s fun helping people in low level dungeons wearing a bunch of DLC gear and having the milkweed rune on haha.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Drunken Baker posted:

You fool! You imbecile!

I've been brickwalled by the Undead Giant in the first dang chalice dungeon! I know what to do against him, I'm sticking to his back and dodging out when he does his sweep but... I don't know. He always clocks me in the end. Hahaha. This doesn't bode well for the future.

Treat him more like a dark souls boss, since he’s a big boy. Give him one smack, maybe two max if your weapon is fast enough, then dodge away. Also, a bit of fire always helps, from fire paper and molotovs.

And if you like giants, you’re gonna love some of the other variants. :unsmigghh:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

U-DO Burger posted:

:hellyeah:

going full aggro against abhorrent beast relying solely on reflexes is a zen-like experience

Some weapons are easier to do that with I feel. Oddly enough, of all the loving weapons, I found that a transformed bloodletter made me go ultra-instinct mode on the motherfucker, and I've fought him with way faster weapons before.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

...! posted:

There are two versions of Bloodletting Beast: one with a head and one without a head (much harder) and they behave a bit differently and have a few different attacks. Try that strategy against the headless version and let us know how it goes. :allears:

it works? :thunk:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

f#a# posted:

Just wanted to post in here that after about 500 shared hours between all the Dark Souls games, I finally caved and bought a PS4+Bloodborne. Somehow I have avoided almost all spoilers aside from pre-release footage and hearing about a sack dude that transports you.

Last night was my first time in the game and after flailing around and dying to some trash for a bit, I got used to rally mechanic and went on to one-shot both Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne. I ended up in Old Yharnam and that is one cool concept for an area, but I called it there.

PS threaded cane 4 lyfe

Be prepared to sink more hours into this than every other Dark Souls combined.
It'll happen to you too! :bloodborne:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

TexMexFoodbaby posted:

Anyone else still salty that the fist of gratia doesn’t actually put the enemy in a parry state? I mean get why they didn’t but I still hate it.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I need to finish my beast claw playthrough. If I recall, I kinda got stonewalled at Lawrence trying to kill him at a frankly stupid low level.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
One of my favorite runs I did was a BLT/ARC run. I put just enough STR/SKL to use the chikage and the bloodletter, then pumped up BLT to 50, soft capped vitality and pushed my ARC up as high as I could. I think I got up into the 80s. I also invested some into endurance, it’s great for the bloodletter’s repeated downward smashing combo. I did this before the hacked chalices so I rushed the chikage, then got the bloodletter way earlier than I should.

It was actually a really fun build for co-op and PvP, since you got the sick blood damage and the utility of strong arcane tools. Nothing quite like a powerful augur parry followed up with a devastating bloodletter combo.

Oh, and the transformed L2 is a neat trick as well, just make sure you don’t overdo it lest you lose yourself to the frenzy!

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Bloodborne is the best dark souls game.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Ulio posted:

Loving this thus far, only complaint is although I love the look of Yharnam, all of it looks samey which makes it hard to remember locations. I guess I will get used to it with time.

Don't worry, you'll quickly encounter some fantastic set pieces.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
And of course, you're lacking in that peculiar Yharnam madness.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
So I'm having a blast with the beast claw, and I'm intending to go quality since it's the last build for me to try. I was looking at the stake driver as a secondary and it's apparently a fantastic quality weapon, my question is whether I should use a regular or a lost/uncanny?

Edit: Actually, what other quality weapons are worth checking out?

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 21, 2019

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Oscar Wild posted:

Unless you invest in bloodtinge, don't upgrade the guns.

Am I wrong about this? I only ever used them to set up visceral attacks. I suppose they might break things at high levels but I never saw that.

It's definitely a luxury thing, I don't really bother until I'm pretty much done upgrading most everything else I want to use on non-BLT builds.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

thumper57 posted:

The most important newbie tip is upgrade your gun until you can use the teardrop, then don't use HMS because it sucks.

:wrong:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

bows1 posted:

wow Im in Old Yharnam right now and the dude in the tower I hit once and he fell off the building never to be seen again. I hope I don't miss an item cause of that.

also did my first battle with Blood-Starved Beast and he kicked my rear end and i unfortunately lost a poo poo ton of echoes.

Close out the game and reopen it, the item should be where he was originally.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I used to hate abhorrent beast, but once I got a good feel for his moves, it's like a dance of death. Quickstep-attacks are your friend, just can't get greedy.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I think I want to take one of my characters and go into a forever-new game cycle with them. I have pretty much every conceivable combo of stats per character, what should I go with?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Paracelsus posted:

Spears with the partizan moveset are fun in DS2. Also Santier's Spear, Pate's, Yorgh's, Dragonslayer. Thrusting weapons in general were strong and fun in DS2.

Man Yorgh’s spear owned, between its 1H and 2H movesets it was basically the Swiss Army knife of DS2. I’d trick people up in PvP all the time, but my favorite part was I’d wear the vanquisher’s seal and then go 1H but I’d just deck them in the face for the kill instead of using the spear. :hehe:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
The Chikage is great, but I feel like people sleep on the bloodletter, probably one of my favorite weapons in the game. Great range and a cool move set, and it’s simply a 1 time health investment to switch to transformed mode which can be virtually negated if you connect with a transforming L1.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Regy Rusty posted:

I'd love to do a bloodletter run but it's past 3 dlc bosses which limits how much I could use it.

Perfectly fair, I rushed mine right after getting the Chikage, and it was a bit of a bitch to do. But hey, there’s always NG+ :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Bust Rodd posted:

Doesn’t bloodletter scale with bloodtinged and it’s true form anyway so you don’t really need strength? I used bloodletter in my Chikage run and it was absolutely disgusting how much damage it did and I had the bare minimum amount of strength

It pairs with Cannon, the other “Str/Blt” weapon

yeah the transformed only benefits from BLT. I only use the transformed version on my ARC/BLT unless I need to gat something with a repeating pistol, otherwise it’s big fuckin blood maces and eldritch lovecraftian magic :black101: