Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Played the game again after a long hiatus, fought Ludwig for my third time, he's so much fun now that I dont suck at the game anymore.

Also i think the worst boss in the game is a cursed dungeon undead giant. They kill you in pretty much 1 hit on every attack, and they are such damage sponges that you basically have to not get hit for 10+ mintues to have a chance. Its boring and it is obnoxiously difficult, not to mention frustrating to get the thing down to like 5th health bar and have it connect on a kick and kill you instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Digirat posted:

Amygdalan arm or beast cutter, they have long sweeping attacks that you won't get out of the hammer

As an Arm enthusiast definetly use the arm. The basic form is like a quicker less effective hammer but just as fun, but the transformed version has a surprising level of reach and some nifty moves, also looks creepy and weird. I found the beast cutter way too slow and not as effective.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I think some bosses just click with some people in different ways and it gives everyone such a different experience.

I could not for the life of me get a handle on Maria or BSB or One Reborn. But I clowned on Lawrence, Papa G, & Logarius.

It took me close to 20 tries to finally get to phase 2 of Ludwig yet the first time I actually made it I butchered him in one go.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Undead Giant is a gently caress

I've said it before in this thread but I firmly believe the worst boss in this game is a depth 5 cursed dungeon ball and chain undead giant

Insane health pool even with the tumor you can pop, and because of the cursed health you are dead if he hits you just once

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I just started Sekiro yesterday and it is kicking my rear end, I have bad souls habits to unlearn

I think most of the difficulty complaints are that. Right now nobody has had the game long enough to truly "git gud" yet so a lot of tricks and strategies are getting worked out and it seems harder because it is a new enough system that everyone is still learning. We don't have seasoned vets coming out to say "no actually just do this, it's so easy".

The times when I do it right, it feels amazing, and I can definitely see myself improving over time to the point where the timing and posture mechanics becomes second nature in the same way dodging through attacks in BB did.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

skasion posted:

BB still has rpg mechanics, fatigue, weapon movesets etc. Sekiro doesn’t. It’s obviously influenced by BB and Souls but it’s much further leap from them imo.

For sure. Sekiro has a few surface level souls type mechanics (the bonfires being the most obvious) but there is a much greater game play difference.

No stamina meter, jumping, far more mobility in general, stealth is extremely important, just to name a few. It feels more like a traditional action game with hints of souls than a souls game with more hints of action, like BB did

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I waltzed into Hunter’s nightmare not knowing it was dlc. It was pretty tough at first but I’d keep checking in every now and then.

Right now my brick wall is two fat dudes, one with a cannon and one with a bell axe. Any suggestions?

Parry them

Those guys are like impossible to fight normally, but they are sucker victims to the parry

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I think the games should have a pause because sometimes poo poo comes up and you gotta handle it and losing progress due to bad timing is pointlessly dumb. It's annoying to lose a boss fight I was winning because my dog saw a squirrel out the window and jumped on me to bark at it and I couldnt stop the game. It's not a big deal, but it just isn't necessary.

If they just made the pause button separate from the menu/equipment button it would keep the planning/preparation aspect of the experience intact because you can't do anything but put the game on hold.

Make it only work when playing offline and it works even better. I definitely understand why you shouldn't be able to pause while you are online with other players in your game.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Phase 1 Ook is my favorite boss in the game and I almost never parry. Almost every attack he has can be punished with at least one hit. If you stay at mid-range he uses only half his arsenal and the dance is so fun.

You just gotta learn the safe zones. I mostly dodge in to the left, because he does have that one uppercut swing that also hits you when it lands if you dodge to the wrong side.
-If you can bait his jump that is a super easy dodge and punish. You may not even need to dodge and just walk forward if you are close enough when he jumps
-his big wind up double twirl is also super easy to punish. Back out of range for the first one, then dodge towards him and the second swing goes behind you. You can build a full heavy charge attack in that time
-always dodge towards him if he throws the ball at you, easier to miss getting hit that way
-When he throws the ball into the ground for the area blast if you are close to him just get behind him and it'll miss and you can smack him
-most of his other attacks are easy to avoid with backsteps. If you stay at mid-range he won't use a lot of the irritating combos or you'll have more time to react

As long as you don't get greedy and only hit him once or quickly twice outside big openings you can basically grab a hit after every move and you'll be out of there before he decides to backhand you

His second form is worse and more chaotic, I always unlock because he seems to miss me way easier that way. But it just ends up being a lot of flailing in the end and I'm less of a fan.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I feel like people who hate chalice Rom are the people who ignore the spiders in the main game and hit and run. I've always methodically killed the spiders then beat the poo poo out of rom. It takes longer but I've died like 3 times total on both versions doing it that way. Every time I try hit and run I get annihilated by random bullshit. It feels way easier to create my openings instead of finding them.

I actually found chalice Rom easier because the pillars can block the meteor attack.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Got the itch for blood once more, and even though I platinum'd this game I've never done a true Arcane run

The torch is actually kinda good? At least for Old Yarnham it was fun to torch everything. And now that I have the Tonitrus with a build that respects it I finally see why some people love it

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey gang I need some help.

My Pure Arcane build is hanging out at Orphan and I feel like I am missing something.

BL 102

VIT 10
END 14
STR 16
SKL 12
BLT 5
ARC 95

(please help my family is dying)

I'm pretty sure he's not weak to any of my tools and my Beast Cutter feels a little too slow to make a meaningful headway. My viscerals do like zero DPS so that's a no go. my +10 HMS is like an R2 cannon, and he's just so fast i can't line them up. When i beat him before it was always with higher physical stats. I'm wearing the DLC rags armor with the super stats but that's only giving me enough room for like 1 mistake.

Obviously yes I die in 1-2 hits to everything but (humble brag) I just don't really get hit by big bosses in this game that much anymore, I still have all the muscle memory from Platting it. I absolutely breezed through every story boss in like 2-3 attempts (maybe 6-7 on Ebriatas) with probably 1/3 of them on first try. Orphan is, to me, the fastest moving enemy in the game and his change-ups are much harder for me to read than say, Amelia or Paarl.

I've cleared down to Lower Ailing Loran and I can comfortably farm pig butt echoes very quickly, but short of finishing my Arc to 99 I'm not sure how much more HP will make a difference, especially since I'm gonna move on to defiled stuff after this. Any Arcane goons got some tips? Or am I just gonna have to Git even more Gudderer?

I honestly just finished my True Arcane run and Orphan was a roadblock. Just did not do enough damage to him with anything to make it go quickly enough. Just pump some vit if you can to allow some mistakes (I think I was 25-30). His first phase is pretty manageable in knowing how to dodge his attacks but the second phase is annoyingly erratic and a health buff will help if he pulls some bullshit. If you want to hit him with strong tools try to bait out his long double swing when he yells, swings it in a close circle, then a long circle. If you dodge toward him after the first swing the second will go behind you and he'll stay still long enough for a Gloves or Brew hit. Outside that I just wailed on him with my +10 Tonitrus and prayed. I figured out he staggers after every 3rd charged hit, so it was kind of easy to know when I could go in for that extra swing. I ended up killing him with 3 vials left on my last bullet with a Blacksky Eye

Some other thoughts after my 99 arcane completionist run (beat everything in the game, including the Chalices through queen Yarnham, before taking on Gehrman/MP)
-Absolutely dunked on Vicar Ameilia, the Shadows, Maria (first try kill for my first time ever), and Ebretias. Also had little to no trouble with Logarius, not sure why he keeps getting brought up as an Arcane roadblock, he's easy.
-Tonitrus rules but the "weakness" being fragile and requiring fixing a lot sucks. I used a fire Saw Spear as my secondary and I never got to like it. I used the Saif once I got it. I also finally tried the Wheel out, and the Wheel kinda rules
-A Call Beyond is really hard to connect properly, I liked using the Tiny Tonitrus way more, I iced Ebretias on her charge attack with it
-Headless Bloodletting beast is such a bullshit fight, his hitboxes are annoyingly huge and you can't see what is happening half the time
-Granted I was high leveled by the time I hit Moon Presence, but I killed it in roughly ten seconds with the Tonitrus, faster than any boss fight in any game I've ever played. I mean, it was over INSTANTLY. Incredibly satisfying after doing basically the entire game before that point.
-After 4 complete playthroughs, I think Ludwig is my favorite boss. He's the only fight I've enjoyed more and more on each run.

Ive never done a bloodtinge run, so maybe when I come back after another break I'll see how that goes.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

HaB posted:

What method did you use on Logarius, then? I was probably around 75 Arc when I faced him on my 99 Arc run, and he was a massive roadblock. Parrying seemed to be the only thing that worked well, and with barely any Skill it took for-freakin-ever since my visceral damage wasn't much.

I didn't even need Tools, my trusty Tonitrus did the work

Staying at range against him is a mistake, but if you stick close he's a chump. He's easy to dodge close up because most of his worst attacks are projectiles. If you stay close it's easy to destroy his sword immediately when he slaps it down, too.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 17, 2020

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah, gotta get in his grill. the danger with him is you can easily get into that vicious cycle of trying to get space to heal, eating a hit, repeat. and while i get that lots of people parry him easy, ive always struggled with some of the timings for him and im sure other people too.

Yeah he's hard to hit with a parry, I never got the hang of his timing and on my skill run he caused me the most trouble of any run. Eventually I just said gently caress it and ran into his face and beat him up normally. I never found his swings hard to dodge.

The pillars are pretty useful at giving you a break if you really need it too

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I see where a misunderstanding might come from: I love charged R2 smashes and feel that specifically that move's AOE is too small. I keep missing things that are fairly close and they just get tagged by the 50 damage of splash damage.

Just doesn't feel good s all

Boomhammer does!

I want you to know you are not alone. I never "got" the kirkhammer at all, it feels weirdly difficult to actually land a direct shot instead of just the splash

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Also Nightmare of Menses is not fun or good and reeks of "oh poo poo we ran out of time and budget, so let's throw in all that stuff we thought could be cool but now don't have the time to make work" -another From trademark.
The boss fight is cool of course, but just playing in nightmare of menses and nightmare frontier aren't fun, they're the only places in Bloodborne I've found geometry errors you can get stuck in, and probably wind up fighting the camera there more than anywhere else.

I think both levels are actually pretty well designed layout-wise they just both have super annoying gimmicks. Frontier is the patented FromSoft poison swamp(tm) with the annoying rock guys who can kill you in one hit from across the map and sometimes its hard to tell where you are because the entire level is washed out greybrown with tons of clutter

Mensis is actually really cool but the frenzy brain and winter lanterns kinda ruins it

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Winter lanterns are the worst enemy in the game. You are pretty much guaranteed to eat a frenzy unless you do the "visceral right when the bar fills" trick which if you mess up you'll die or you have as high frenzy resist as possible so you can run away and chug a sedative in time.

They are awesome looking enemies but man they can frenzy you from so far away from any angle too, just a hassle to deal with

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

bows1 posted:

Well I hosed is it seems. Guess I should do another run after finishing the game with the arm :)

You still made a good choice. The arm is one of the more unique weapons and gives you a fun playstyle. The church pick is a good weapon but less interesting imo

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I was poo poo at parrying Maria. My winning run against her had her trapped in a corner of the room and stun locking her with r1 spam

Same. I got real good at parrying on my skill run but for the life of me I can't do it in her third phase. I can basically parry chain her to her third phase, but every time I try once she adds the fire, the fire followthrough effect hits me even when I land the parry, and it stuns me long enough to miss the visceral window. I always win via good dodging

I'm also embarrassingly bad at The One Reborn and always seem to die multiple times to random bullshit every run. But then again I've died to Lawrence maybe 4 times total and don't understand why people have trouble with him at all

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I beat Bloodborne, Ds1R, ds3, and Sekiro in that order and am now doing ds2 SOTFS

I mean, its more souls. It scratches that itch the same. It has weird unique issues same as any of the others and does things I like more than the others. I don't really get the people who call it the worst one. Seems about on par with the other two for me.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 10, 2020

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I have a bad habit of sandbagging my progression through the mandatory story content in favor of clearing out my current "level" of content, when in reality it's often better to just blast through the gates and clear the side content later. This is going to gently caress me in Elden Ring.

I dunno. Maybe in some cases yeah but I've found that when I get too far ahead of certain side content, it ceases to interest me and I never go back to something I think I would have enjoyed a lot more had I done it at the time. That's not really a big issue in Souls games since the combat makes them engaging no matter when you do something, but in something like Witcher 3 I enjoyed all these side quests that were great that I know if I had cleared the story further first, I wouldn't have even bothered with them. Plus, some of that side content works better when played at the appropriate level rather than during a late-game cleanup sweep.

I tend to try and experience a game as thoroughly as possible my first time through because my interest to replay or go back drops significantly once I beat it. Bloodborne is literally the only game in the last 15 years I've beaten more than twice.

Edit: I take that back, I ran through RE Village like 4 times because infinite ammo magnums are very fun

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Okay I think I got orphan figured out for the first two phases

Anyone got strategies for the winged phase?

Fight in the water to give you space to avoid the lightning wave attack

He is a lot more frantic and range isn't a option since he moves so fast. If you stay close a fair number of his attacks will throw him past you

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

hobbez posted:

Nothing is more triggering to me then “got him on my first try” bloodbourne posts.

How do you get Gascogne on your first try on a blind run.

I cheesed him using the gravestones and then got lucky during the third phase somehow. I'm still not sure how, but it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

One of the best things about bloodborne is that virtually every humanoid enemy up to around 2x your size is parryable, if they're flagged as parryable then basically everything they do that isn't a ranged attack is parryable, and you can attempt parries without the risk of getting hit either by standing out of their range with a pistol or erring on the side of shooting early with a shotgun so you stagger them before they hit you either way. it's more consistent and safer to learn than parrying in souls games in every way.

I didn't parry a single thing in demon's souls through dark souls 3 except for gwyn, and I parry basically everything you can in bloodborne. it's great.

Fully agreed, I cannot stand the parrying in the souls games because you basically just get hit every time until you memorize the timings and which attacks are parryable to begin with so I would just dodge instead, but bloodborne lets you actually experiment with it at safe ranges and is the only one I bothered to actually do it in for a full run

Sekiro too was more forgiving since you can sorta spam parry or just block outright and avoid damage (not poise though).