Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Where's a good place to farm Chunks? I'm trying to get both of my primary weapons to +9 and I need like 13 more to do the deed. Is there a good Chalice for it, or is it better to try and grind some regular enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Having the time of my life just taking a break from trying to take down the main game and just hanging out in front of Ludwig and paying forward the assist I got on the first DLC boss. Wish I were getting more hits, but this is great. It's surprisingly very relaxing helping other people out on a hard, super-aggressive boss fight.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Requesting help for the Unseen Village Hunter Trio, am ringing at the chapel lantern

Password is kosm

Still needing help?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Already got help, thanks for inquiring

No problem! Glad you got an assist!

On the subject of co-op, anyone willing to help with Mergo's Wet Nurse?

PSN: Time_pants

Edit: Never mind. Got the help. Kinda regret it. Wish I had just put in a bit more time on trying to beat it because we staggered it out of its most dangerous attacks.

Double edit: If the Hunter's Dream is on fire, does that mean that I'm at the end of the game and need to wrap all my other poo poo up?

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 12, 2017

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I'm going to be starting another NG rather than cycling to NG+ on my first save and I want to go 50 Bloodtinge and 25 Skill. What route should I take to get this build to pop as soon as possible?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

JBP posted:

Cainhurst is the BT man's best friend. I'd just do the first few bosses, get yourself a little bit pumped up and then head into Cainhurst to get your Chikage, Reiterpallasch and Evelyn. I have a similar build and went skill first just to make the game a little easier and once I got Chikage I started dumping BT and never looked back.

e: a saw spear is probably going to be your good friend if you just want to clown your way through the start of that game as fast as possible.

Sounds good! What is the shortest route to Cainhurst, though?

Vicar Amelia -> Forbidden Woods -> Iosefka's Clinic -> Cainhurst? Am I skipping any steps here?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

the truth posted:

What’s a good ranged option for a Strength/Skill (both 50) build? Haven’t touched bloodtinge and very few points into Arcane. I have been using the generic pistol, but I am coming up against some of the last Chalice Dungeon bosses and figure I may as well consider branching out.

The cannon seems cool, but it uses so many bullets that it doesn’t seem practical.

Edit whoops reading comprehension.

Try the Church Cannon. If you're just using it for general purpose rather than for a boss fight, you'll appreciate the lower ammo consumption.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

There's a boss/miniboss that I can't seem to locate either in-game or in any of the wikis. I don't even remember too much about it other than it's a giant monster that you can see from a distance clinging to the side of a building looking inside and lying in wait to ambush you.

I can't find anything about it anywhere. What is it and where can it be found? Was this a false memory implanted by reptilian zionists? Where can I find this thing? What is it even?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Do you remember anything about what said monster looks like?

Early in the game you can see a werewolf-ish beast clinging to a wall, which falls down to ambush you.

That's the one! It's not like a major encounter or anything like that, though? Huh. I just remembered it from an LP I watched a long time ago and for some reason that stuck out as a much more significant encounter. Oh well. Mystery solved, I suppose!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I've only played a very little bit of the Chalice Dungeons (about half of the pre-made/"story" dungeons from Pthumeru. I've never used any codes for dungeons other people have generated or anything like that, so I don't really know how to get started or what my process should be if I'm wanting to, say, farm for +27.2% Physical Attack gems (this is specifically what I want to do). What are rituals? How do I apply them? Do I have to use those rituals every time I try to run the dungeon?

Explain it to me like I'm five years old, because I feel incredibly overwhelmed by the whole thing.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

skasion posted:

[An incredibly detailed and helpful post]
Okay, it's not nearly how I thought it was like. All of the mentions of "RFC" Chalice Dungeons suddenly make a lot more sense. What is the recommended level for tackling a Depth 5 dungeon? If I start NG+, am I going to lose all of my Chalice Dungeon progress? Does the progress remain but you have to retrieve the Chalices again?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Certain communities go even lower with "max" level, the 4chan community prefers BL98
Ew gross

I always find it hard to cut myself off at a predetermined level in any Soulsborne game. In DkS and DkS2, I just kept on leveling up the same character until I finally got bored with the game and eventually put it down. Especially in DkS where there wasn't an option to respec, leveling up until you had the stats to do what you wanted was vastly preferable to starting a brand new game and leveling up a different character. I just liked having the versatility of being able to swap between weapons and magic on the fly, right in the middle of a run if I wanted. Finally with DkS3 I managed to keep myself at 120 and it was fine. I don't know if it was "better," but the fairly steady stream of invaders was fun.

As for BB, I think that I'm probably going to put a lid on my current character around 145-150, partially because a Vitality of 50 seems like almost a necessity given how hard enemies (and other players) seem to hit--especially if there are dungeons that halve your health. I totally get people doing like SL4 NG+7 runs for the challenge factor more than arbitrarily capping your level where the community consensus dictates. But I guess if you want PvP in a 2-year-old game, it's a necessity.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

How much of a time investment am I looking at to get to a point where I can gain access to the Depth 5 Chalice FRC Dungeons? So far, I did the first two Chalices so far and breezed through those since I'm almost level 80 with a +9 weapon. I'm really just trying to get to the point where I can start running the highest-level dungeons for gem drops, not full-clear every single premade/"story" Chalice Dungeon in the game.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Having read enough of this thread and the last one to know what the Defiled Chalice Dungeon has in store has me feeling genuinely queasy about the undertaking. Holy poo poo, taking on three bosses with the looming threat of one-shot kills sounds awful. I'm almost certainly going to lose hope and be back here begging for help very soon.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Just out of curiosity, does having a single co-op partner double the boss' hit points and having two co-op partners triple the boss' health, or is it increased by a different percentage?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

so yeah the chikage is fukken ballersauce yall

I just finished getting my Bloodtinge up to 50 and started back on my journey to the unlock FRC root dungeons. First opponent in the lineup? The Bloodletting Beast. My transformed Chikage charged R2 did over 1000 damage! And my gems, while pretty good (all three are +20% physical damage, give or take a percentage point or two), are still going to continue to improve. Holy poo poo. I can't believe that the damage potential is actually even higher. This weapon is amazing.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

That's cool and all but you're supposed to mainly use the L1 moves

Yeah, I'm definitely still trying to get the hang of this loving thing. The Hunter Axe is like a Schwinn and Ludwig's Holy Blade is a like a sensible mid-range sedan, and stepping up from those to a 500 horsepower, 10-cylinder "Crotch Rocket of the Gods" Dodge Tomahawk during an earthquake in the middle of a loving hailstorm.

Maybe I'm just teeming with stupid germs, but I was just barely keeping up with the boss fights in this game, and now I'm a new moveset, account for transformation attacks at the beginnings and ends of combos, carefully monitoring my constantly-depleting health, and trying to learn how to play unlocked for the first time in any of these games, I feel like it's a lot of extra plates to keep spinning all at once.

And it's loving awesome. I'm going to try and give Simon's Bowblade a whirl here in a bit and see how that feels. I love the decision to give practically every weapon two different ranges, movesets, and damage values. Battles feel so much more active than other entries in the Soulsborne catalogue.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

How much of a step up is the first NG+ cycle compared to a regular NG?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

So, um, I have a question: is Madras Whistle as useless as it seems? I cannot seem to get that fucker to work. Half the time it seems like it whiffs entirely. How should I be trying to use this thing (if at all)?

edit: I do have 50 Bloodtinge, for what it's worth.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

So my buddy and I hopped into some of my Chalice Dungeons for a bit of co-op to try and get the drat things finished. Son of bitch, is there ever a lot of chew and swallow involved in just getting the ability to create your own custom FRC dungeons. We were absolutely bum-rushing the poo poo out of them and I've still got the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice and the Great Isz Chalice to go. Honestly, I wish they made Chalice Dungeon progress carry over not just between New Game cycles, but between saves, as well. Because, seriously, gently caress doing this again. I'm really excited to try creating custom dungeons and seeing weird stuff and bizarre monster party compositions, but this is just too much. They could've reduced the amount of floors necessary to unlock FRC dungeons by half and it still would feel long. God drat.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

On the subject of SKL/BLT builds, I did one that evenly raised both stats to 25 and used the Saw Spear as I beelined for Cainhurst. Maybe it's because I had shockingly poor gems for much of New Game, but I actually thought the Chikage didn't really pop off until about 40+ BLT, but once I hit about 45, boy oh boy did it ever pop. loving thing is jaw-droppingly powerful and just reels off a stupid amount of damage in the blink of an eye.

Lately, I've been messing around with the Bloodletter, also, and it's definitely a lot of fun and powerful in its own right, but I've never really found myself terribly drawn to--or especially proficient with--the larger, more fuckoff-sized weapons in the Soulsborne franchise. Still, I enjoy the Bloodletter more than most weapons in its weight class. To wit, I ended up taking my build a few levels higher than I originally intended and brought both BLT and SKL to 50 to avoid having to do another playthrough in order to experiment with that whole arsenal.

The Rakuyo is just gently caress-awesome. Just an absolute powerhouse. I'm not very good with the L2 combos just yet, but it's fun as hell to sprint headlong into battle and just shred the unsuspecting hordes of the Chalice Dungeons with wild abandon. I've also been messing with Simon's Bowblade, but I'm a little confused as to why the bow part of the Bowblade a) scales off of BLT and b) is so loving good. It practically threatens to make guns obsolete. I'm also wanting to gently caress around with the Blade of Mercy and the, um... scythe? The one you get from beating game. Need more upgrade materials before that dream becomes a reality, though.

Definitely planning on doing one more character for to get an Arcane going and finally be able to switch between characters and have access to every weapon and Hunter Tool in the game. Bloodborne's arsenal is amazing, and I highly, highly recommend everyone try a BLT build if you haven't already. The weapon list is short, but God drat is it ever sweet.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

Just killed Orphan on my first attempt. I don't see what all the fuss is about :v:

Now I'm never going to be able to beat him again, am I?

You'll be lucky to even make it to phase 2 again.

Source: I effortlessly beat Bed of Chaos my first time through DkS, but every time after, I had to have someone else make the jump and run to the heart for me.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Other than Parasite of Kos, what weapons would you recommend for a 99 Arcane build? I'm planning on giving one a try once I finish my NG+ playthrough, but I don't even know what sort of weapons I should beeline for early on.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

So I'm trying to farm for +31.5% Blood ATK gems and the drawback of every single gem of the type I'm looking for has been -ATK. What the gently caress. Out of the the half-dozen possible candidates, they all have the same drawback. Is -ATK the most common drawback for this sort of gem, or does this suggest that I'm in the wrong place?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

dad lose. so what

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

So i spent about 2 hours farming +ATK and +Blood Damage gems the past couple of nights. Got two 27.2% +ATK +Stamina Usage gems, a +27.2% +ATK -11% ATK vs. Kin gem, a +25.3% +Stamina Usage gem, and a +29-ish% Blood Damage +Stamina Usage gem. And about 5 million blood echoes.

But the most important thing I got out of everything was the ability to parry the Watchers in my sleep.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Where can I find a list of these hacked dungeons?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

With all the new hacked chalice stuff that's come out, are there any chalices out there that are stockpiled with high-level gems that can be farmed rather than having to slog through and unlock FRC dungeons the long and stupid way?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

By any chance has there been a save editor or a "start with all items and weapons" save file released for Bloodborne? I want to start a new character and mess around with all the weapons, Hunter Tools, etc. right from the start rather than having to speedrun to a certain part of the game to get it. I've already beaten the game twice and gone to NG+3 in both, but having to grind Chalice Dungeons for gems and Lost/Uncanny weapons and Runes seems like such a chore after having already done it on two other characters.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I'm doing an arcane build for the first time ever. Planning on going 99 Arcane. What weapons are recommended for such a build other than Kos Parasite?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

You can get a Ludwig's Holy Blade and a fire arcane gem mega early and that will carry you to the Tonitrus, after that you can do literally whatever you want.

ayyo wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

where fire jim

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

You just use one of these glyphs when searching for one:

Do those SFRC chalices have all top-tier blood gems?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Even... even like Cold Abyssal gems?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

specifically, I believe you need to go through more of the chalice dungeons until you get like a Defiled Chalice or one of the later ones. I don't remember exactly how it all works, but you've got some dungeoning to do yet.

Okay. But, like... what are they?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Digirat posted:

An FRC and a sinister dungeon at the same time. Not sure if it has any weird effect on gem quality or if it's just an FRC dungeon with a bell woman on each floor.

Okay. I was specifically curious if there was anything particularly advantageous or interesting about these weird hacked dungeon permutations. Sounds like there isn't much special about them other than they're not normally in the game.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Digirat posted:

The advantage of the false depth dungeons specifically is that you can use their glyph no matter what dungeons you've made, even though they're depth 5 dungeons, and they have depth 5 loot. So you can use them to get things like an uncanny burial blade after just getting the first chalice from blood starved beast in the main game.

No joke or sarcasm, I seriously did not get that as being an advantage. Thank you for explaining. I genuinely was not trying to be obtuse. I'm just... well, I'm quite slow, to tell you the truth.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Haven't been able to put as much time in on my new Arcane character as I might've liked lately, but it's good to come back to Bloodborne after several months away.

This game is awes.

or some say awesome

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

What is the fastest Chalice route to get gems with good Fire/Arcane/Bolt scaling? Am I correct that you pretty much have to do the entire path to open up the dungeons that give those three?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

skasion posted:

She’s not like some kind of trained fighter, she just wants to take care of the baby

*babby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I'm in the middle of a build that will eventually hit 99 Arcane and am rushing the DLC to get Blacksky Eye and Kos Parasite specifically as soon as possible. I just killed Amelia, but I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done before I leave for the DLC.

I got the Rune Workshop and just got the Cainhurst Summons so I can grab the Executioner's Glove. Is there anything else that would dramatically improve my quality of life for the DLC? Any element that is especially effective that I should scrounge up some runes for? I know that I can always go back, but I don't want to waste a lot of time bouncing back and forth if I can just knock it out now.