Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Managed to kill Bloody Crow in one attempt last night, found out that along with Poison Knives, if you've got a build with a good ARC score, that the Tiny Tonritus messes him up pretty well while he's on the stairs(since he moves in a predictable pattern while on them), my current build has 31 points in ARC and it was doing just under 600 damage a blast on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Speaking of brainsuckers in the old thread, why do people find them so difficult or threatening? Are they harder with slower weapons? I've always found them super easy. The grab sucks, but it doesn't do much damage, and the insight drain is usually appreciated more than feared.

The only place they aren't a joke to fight is in Upper Cathedral Ward, mostly because they are like 10 times more aggressive than they are anywhere else in the game, especially with their magic, and are also a lot more durable than normal

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

It's mostly that loving balcony with the two basically next to each other.

Also the one next to the ladder leading to them, if mostly because you have to get into melee range to fight that one, while pretty much all of the other ones you can play the range game with if you have the right build

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

Stupid dog, you're makin' me fear the old blood!

I was just about to post that, someone needs to make a Muriel as well, although I'm not sure what weapon would make for a good stand in for her rolling pin

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I can't stand Let's Plays where the people doing it suck at the game(which is most of them), especially since for some reason they often take forever to figure out even the simplest of mechanics(not to mention this often leads to the gameplay itself being boring to watch due to the people playing either using incredibly suboptimal moves, or falling into a rut of focusing on a specific move they've found effective)

Would love to see a Let's Play where the person doing the playing has been fully informed ahead of time of all the controls and most of the major gameplay mechanics, but is otherwise completely blind to what the game is about or it's lore

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

There's some nice LPs where the player is blind but has one or more co-commentators who guide them. Geop's famous Dark Souls 1 LP, for example. I mean he's still struggling a lot, but he's not "HUH WHAT DO I DO HOW DO WEAPON WERK???" at any point.

The weird thing is I've seen Let's Plays where the person playing is incompetent despite having beaten the game before or having played a previous entry, like a lore focused Bloodborne one that got posted in the last thread a couple months ago, guy for some reason kept trying too hard to parry every enemy he fought, not to mention he chose the cane as his starting weapon and mostly used it in sword form even though that's probably one of the most boring movesets in the entire game to use, let alone watch

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning that both the gloves and augur will clown over a lot of bosses and NPC Hunters Cause their AI can't handle it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rayjenkins posted:

To add, if it's humanoid, you can probably safely knock it on it's rear end with augur. If it's big, you can likely still stagger it and give it pause, buying you time.

Yup to give some examples, Watchers and Snatchers will be flattened by the augur, while the Beast Possessed Soul won't be but it will be staggered

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

Finally made it to lecture hall and picked up augur. Also opened up the easy farming path. I've been stocking up on vials since I was starting to run low, and I usually cop about 12 or 15 bullets per run as well. I welcome the post scarcity economy.

How should I be using augur? Just as a parry tool or does it do decent damage as well?

It does pretty decent damage in my opinion, especially for the fact that it only costs a single bullet, heck on my STR/ARC character I barely even use my pistol for parrying anymore, only if I'm switched to a different tool

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Requesting help for the Unseen Village Hunter Trio, am ringing at the chapel lantern

Password is kosm

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Already got help, thanks for inquiring

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Time_pants posted:

No problem! Glad you got an assist!

On the subject of co-op, anyone willing to help with Mergo's Wet Nurse?

PSN: Time_pants

Edit: Never mind. Got the help. Kinda regret it. Wish I had just put in a bit more time on trying to beat it because we staggered it out of its most dangerous attacks.

Double edit: If the Hunter's Dream is on fire, does that mean that I'm at the end of the game and need to wrap all my other poo poo up?

Pretty much, although you can still do everything normal there, the fire doesn't get in the way of anything it's purely visual

You did miss out on some dialogue if you didn't beat the DLC before killing Mergo though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

It's stupid how much I could play this game, even after finishing the game twice and getting the platinum. I started a new run thinking "I wanna use the wheel" and then that turned into "I wanna use the MGS". Even now I keep looking at weapons and thinking "Im gonna play again".

I wanna use the boom hammer.

One of the nice things about doing a STR/ARC build is that there's only a couple trick weapons inaccessible to you, although you do get locked out of a good chunk of the firearms, and one tool(Madara Whistle since it runs off BLT for whatever reason)

Also I've managed to make it to the top of Mergo's Loft for the first time(well not all the way, but up to the point with Queen Yharnam hanging around and crying)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man those pigs in Mergo's Loft suck, it's kinda funny that I'm having so much more trouble dealing with them than with the Shadows in that area

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

Brainsuckers are an enemy that massively punish small mistakes and don't leave a lot of windows to attack safe from the stun grab. They're not the most difficult enemies to face, but they're definitely one of the most frustrating.

Not counting DLC or Chalice Dungeon enemies, I'd say the list of most obnoxious enemies to fight goes roughly like this;

Upper Cathedral Ward Brain Suckers
Winter Lanterns
Yetis
Garden of Eyes
Maneater Boars(primarily the ones in Mergo's Loft, but the ones in Hypogean Gaol can be annoying at low levels as well)
Scourge Beasts when fighting more than one at a time(which is most of the encounters you have with those guys, probably because the developers realized that Scourge Beasts are kinda chumps solo)
Vermin infested Silver Beasts

Note that this list has nothing to do with DIFFICULTY, just on how annoying they are to fight

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Makes me really glad that Tiny Tont goes through walls, makes fighting the ones on the way to the Mensis Brain a bit less of a pain in the rear end

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey guys, that list of annoying enemies seems ok but how is anyone troubled by Maneater boars? Even with Zero Skill, you bait the charge, visceral them and then they have like 2-3 incredibly slow and telegraphed attacks and you basically always have room to fight them one at a time?

I mean, pig-butt farming is probably the hands down easiest and most profitable by time spent/souls earned, what is the pig doing to you exactly?

Most of the time it's no real issue, but sometimes their AI does some really screwy stuff, not helped with the Mergo's Loft pigs cause they can cause lag in their part of the level

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Certain communities go even lower with "max" level, the 4chan community prefers BL98 for example as they feel it provides the best range for co-op and invasions while still allowing diverse builds that can handle Chalice Dungeons

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

I just got to the DLC and I'm salivating about all the new weapons to use. The new whip looks so loving cool but my other character uses the threaded can and it seems like a waste of mechanics to have two whip guys.

My character is all strength and I've got a +9 Kirk hammer. What's the most logical/complementary DLC weapon for me to adopt?

Whirligig Saw or maybe Boom Hammer

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so here's a hypothetical for the thread with an attached challenge;

let's say you're working for From/Japan Studio on Bloodborne back when it was still in development, when you get the news; the Chalice Dungeon system is being scrapped, you've been given the job of inserting all of the Chalice Dungeon's unique content(enemies, bosses, items, NPC's) into the main game and The Old Hunters where you feel it's appropriate, none of it is allowed to be left out(except the Chalice Materials and the Chalices, but they are setting aside a small amount of budget to allow you to repurpose them into having new uses if you wish)

to help compensate for the lost CD areas, the budget that was going to be used on the Chalice Dungeons is going to be used to expand the following areas more as needed to fit everything;

Healing Church Workshop(the town portion at the bottom of the tower to be specific)

Hemwick Charnel Lane(specifically the Witches Abode building)

Byrgenwerth

Forsaken Castle Cainhurst

Nightmare Frontier

Lecture Building

Nightmare of Mensis(the initial outdoor portion)

Mergo's Loft(the part between Micolash & Mergo's Wet Nurse)

your choice of The Hunter's Nightmare or The Research Hall

where do you place everything?

Hard Mode: all Chalice Dungeon Bosses not already present in the main game must be included as bosses, not just as regular enemies for the bosses that do that(Loran Silverbeast, Maneater Boar, and Brainsucker are exempt from this challenge)

Harder Mode: on top of the prior challenge also include at least one of Loran Silverbeast, Maneater Boar, or Brainsucker as an actual boss in a manner that would be fitting for the game(you're allowed to rearrange the encounters for the regular versions if you want the boss encounter the first time you encounter one, also for the Boar you can use the Mensis version)

for the purposes of this, the singular Beast-Possessed Soul you already encounter in the story doesn't count,
you have to include them in at least one other encounter

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

I thought I was doing well to have the boom hammer early as I did but then I cooped with a guy who had the bowblade in Charnel Lane and that dude was one shotting the big axe men.

To be fair he probably has it leveled to at least +8, probably has good gems in it, and is probably a BLT build

Also I think the bowblade's arrows are technically Thrust damage and those axe guys are weak to thrust(and bolt)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

Riddle me this thread. Is forbidden woods the token fromsoft bad swamp zone in this game or is it the nightmare frontier? Because forbidden woods goes on waaaay too long and nightmare frontier has no rusted iron ring and winter lanterns. If only there was some way to combine them into the best swamp experience this side of pre-patch amana

There's also the Hintertomb chalices

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah ARC seems to only be on Burial Blade and Blades of Mercy so you can't make them elemental/Bloodtinge weapons or buff them with papers/Empty Phantasm

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I've said it before but when I picture a Bloodborne 2, I picture it as a thematic sequel, not a direct one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

I tried. Ran into the Undead Giant at the end and ooooooh boy.

Not sure what is up with this dude's attacks, but it's throwing me off something awful; he destroyed me 10 times in a row. :<

I'm busy right now but in a couple hours I'd be glad to help you with him

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

During my Chalice Spleunking, I found a big swamp room with a cannon UG and regular UG and that was when I learned that the cannon UG just one shots the other guy if you bait his cannon shot and was dumbstruck because this game really doesn’t have too many situations where you can trick your mobs into killing each other. Farmed Souls there for a bit.

Similarly Beast Possessed Souls are hostile to any enemy that gets in their way, which combined with the fact that as long as they can see you they'll try and follow you means you can potentially have a BSB fight most of a layer for you with some practice

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

Any good sources of just shitloads of BB memes? I have a handful I've collected from this thread and 4chan (ugh) but I really want to pump up my BB folder with some dankness. Memes, comics, cool art, etc.

Honestly 4chan's Bloodborne threads are actually pretty decent, as well as being the fastest way to get co-op help

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

hampig posted:

Bought my PS4 for this game and finally got stuck into it, and what a game.

Level design is hands-down the best in the series, Yharnam is just loving amazing even though I might prefer the melancholy of Lordran and Lothric to BB's horror vibe.

Hit my first real roadblock getting stuck on Ebrietas/Maria, I'm still rocking a +9 weapons and will take every advantage I can get, are there any blood rocks available at the stage I'm at? I stopped progressing through the main game at Micolash to clean up the other stuff.

Some of these NPC hunters do bonkers damage with their guns, can a bloodtinge build actually use guns for regular damage, or is it mostly just use a few bloodtinge weapons and your guns do a bit more damage as a bonus?

e: farewell equip weight, the fashion is strong with this one

I've noticed the exact same thing, don't seem to notice much of a change between boost mode on or off. If you figure out way to make it a little less choppy i'd love to know.

With Ebrietas the best plan if you don't summon another player to help is to summon Damian of Mensis so he can act as a distraction while you whail on her rear end

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the plus side for Nightmare Frontier you only have to actually fight one Winter Lantern to get to Amygdala

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cinnamon Bear posted:

If you aren't building bloodtinge is it ever worth upgrading your left hand weapons?

Since Bloodstone Shards(both regular and twin) are pretty easy to get after a certain point, it's not a bad idea to pump up your main gun and the Hunter's Torch up to at least +3(the latter up to +6 if you're doing a ARC character), possibly also for the Flamesprayer(since early game it can be pretty good), and the Gatling Gun and either Cannon if you've got the stats to use them since they still do a decent amount of damage even without any BLT investment

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I bought this over a year ago and managed to get maybe 1/3 through until I got lost. Going back to it I have even less of a clue and I'm even shitter than before so I'm just going to start over from scratch.

Help me mould a new character, I barely understood what I was doing previously so any help is welcome. I was going on stupid Dark Souls build so leveling up strength and stuff. I gather this isn't the ideal way to go really reading through this thread.

For a first character the best route generally is to build what's known as a "Quality" character, which goes roughly like so;

30-40 VIT
50 STR
25 SKL
15-20 END

ARC and BLT are variable on such a build, former can be left at the base amount of your origin if you don't intend on using anything that needs it, or you can invest up to 15-20 in it if you want to use certain weapons and several of the Hunter's Tools that don't do damage(or like the Augur are still useful even if they don't deal a ton of damage), as for BLT, that can probably be left at Base level unless you want to use Ludwig's Rifle, in which case just level it to that weapon's required amount

This assumes you're only going to be leveling a character to somewhere in the BL 98 to 117 range though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

It's even easier if you use poison knives

Those make a lot of fights in the game easier(including most NPC Hunter fights), makes it kinda obvious in retrospect why you aren't able to buy them until very late in the game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

really?

huh, wonder why i thought that

You're probably getting mixed up the fact that the Hypogean Gaol lamp breaks after Rom

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I just couldn't get into either Dark Souls 2 or 3, both were hard in the ways that just aren't any fun to play(same problem applied to Lords of The Fallen), not to mention the early game areas for both are honestly quite abysmal compared to Central Yharnam and in 2's case I just couldn't figure out which way to go(not helped by the fact that farming sucks in that game way more than it usually does in From Soft games)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

celeryman posted:

But you got into DS 1 and BB?

Dark Souls 1 I never got too far into, while Bloodborne is a lot more forgiving than the Souls games

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

hampig posted:

Oh yeah this reminds me who the hell is the dude in the intro movie?

I figure he's the unfinished dead Ayy Lmao we find in Iosefka's Clinic

Just Offscreen posted:

Well there seems to be some indicators that the scholars found in the lecture hall and what happened to them are somehow related to the church servants you find in Cathedral Ward both giant and man-sized. They have the same pale complexion and eyeless faces but the scholars seem to be melting or devolving. Maybe this is all a stepping stone to the snatchers utilized by The Choir. I say this because all Watchers seem to take their victims to yahar'gul and have similar features to the scholars and the servants but are clearly tougher.

The Snatchers are Pthumerians, as are the Witches of Hemwick, the Eye Collectors, the Chime Maidens, and the Shadows of Yharnam, one of the underlying threads of the game is that the Pthumerians have been worming their way into Yharnam society in one way or another long before the Player Hunter arrived in Yharnam

Also you're getting the Choir and the School of Mensis mixed up

As for the Church Servants and Church Giants, I figure they're basically homunculus crafted in imitation of the Pthumerians as part of the Healing Church's search for ascension, especially by The Choir(Mensis meanwhile doesn't use them at all, probably because they've got the real thing working with them, not to mention a larger amount of active Hunters than the Choir has)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

Yeah imo there's enough evidence that BB takes place entirely in the dreamlands, or in a reality so heavily influenced by the dream areas that the distinction is mostly meaningless. JSFs videos are long but good.

People like to point to Yharnam as being a conclusive reality but you get to it via the same menu that let's you access the nightmares. It's also apparently connected directly to Old Yharnam which experienced some kind of firey cataclysm event in the past but is still burning and has freshly crucified beast people everywhere

I can't prove that it means something, but I think all the arguments I've heard for how Old Yharnam isn't some kind of time pocket or altered reality are pretty weak

I still hold to the idea that Yharnam is the Waking World, but Yharnam Valley and it's surroundings have low separation from The Dream/Nightmare due to the Pthumerian civilizations that lived underneath it and their contact with the Great Ones, so parts of it have already started falling into the Dream, specifically those areas where the Moon doesn't become the Blood Moon(with that causing the rest of Yharnam to start the process as well)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That unused content is interesting, hope that guy does more videos soon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

uncle w benefits posted:

A most curious bug it would seem. My bee line I made to get the beast cutter on my new old hunter themed character has broken the Hypogean Gaol area. The bagman outside of cathedral ward is not there post Amelia, nor is the church warden immediately behind the stage coach out the front door. Neither is the bagman who is to the left of the two Yarhargool hunters at the top of the hill leading to the Amygdala bathroom.

I guess I can't get to the upper jail area this game?

Also wow I can't believe the lag and connectivity issues I get when helping Amelia fights.

You have to have beaten the boss of Old Yharnam first to get the Snatchers to show up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning that for guns, if you're not doing a BLT build than in the early game you shouldn't upgrade them past +1(so you can slot a gem in them) as leveling them has no effect on parrying(and they don't do a lot of damage on their own), although once you get to a certain area, you'll be getting lots of the two lower tier upgrade materials(and after a certain point you can buy them from the Messenger shop, coincidentally not long after you gain access to one of the better places to farm Blood Echoes), so if you don't mind farming a bit there is some merit to upgrading your preferred gun to +6(same for the Cannon or either the Gatling Gun or Church Cannon from The Old Hunters) as while the damage still isn't that great it can still be useful

As for the two Sprayer weapons, as well as the two Torches, in the early game just upgrade the Flame Sprayer to +3 cause you'll be wanting to save your Twin Bloodstone Shards for your Trick Weapons, but once you get to the points I mentioned feel free to upgrade them to +6 if you are willing to do the farming, this applies to the Hunter Torch as well(indeed between the two I'd say the torch is better once you're past the early game as more light is always welcome(especially if you're doing the Chalice Dungeons)