Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I'm going to pretend the original thread is now an abandoned Hunter's Dream after it caught on fire.

Also, I want to go looking for some especially nasty FRC chalice dungeons, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Edmond Dantes posted:

I finished the base game (once) on a borrowed PS4 a good long while ago, and now that I finally got myself a PS4 and a copy of the game + DLC, I'm gearing up for replaying it so I had a few questions:

I'm thinking about building up towards eventually using the Burial Blade, since I only got the chance to use it for 5 minutes before I stopped playing; I'm guessing I'll be building towards Skill? Skill/Arcane? Is the thing even worth it?

Is the DLC better left until NG+, or should I do it alongside the main run?

Burial Blade is a solid weapon, yes. I'm not sure it's most people's first choice or the best at any one thing, but I find it to be able to handle almost everything between the two forms and it has decent damage. Transformed version is also pretty decent at rallying.

When to start DLC depends on how much of a challenge you want. Waiting until the start of NG+ will make it noticeably harder than starting near the end of NG... or do like me and don't start it until NG++ if you want some pain.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

JBP posted:

I want this out of left field game to show itself. Give me the weird poo poo.

Please let it be a pro wrestling game. The invasion (mid-match run-in) and covenant (random heel/face groups) mechanics would transition seamlessly. And there's already tons of different weapons (Raw Dragon's Scale folding chair +10) to work with.

YOUR MATCH HAS BEEN INVADED BY DARK LUCHADORE Masked619!

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Edmond Dantes posted:

When should I be doing chalice dungeons? Should I be doing chalice dungeons? I just murdered Amelia and was about to head to Hemwick Charnel Lane, I'm lvl... 35 I think?

Only Chalice I have so far is Pthumeru, the one BSB drops.

There is also one weapon (the Beast Claws) which you can only get by going at least partway through the chalice dungeons. They also don't scale w/ your NG level as far as difficulty goes.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The cane was the only one of the three starting weapons that just did not click for me at first. I eventually went back and tried it some more in NG++ and now I think it's a fine weapon with some good style, though I need to be in the right mood to use it.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Imhotep posted:

I can see that, and he's obviously a chill dude if he's willing to give away a super expensive piece of gear to his kid's friend who he barely knows, but I can also see that leading to him giving up on the game without getting angry or having problems with rage, my question was just poorly phrased and jokey and more of a practical question, like should I get an old man something else for 20$ on PS4. I know it's not like anyone would have anything close to a definitive answer obviously, I just wondered if anyone in this thread is older or knows someone who's older who enjoys these games.

It really sounds like you should just ask your friend how his father tends to react to situations where he may have to struggle a while before being able to succeed, and if his father would have the time to spend playing such a game. Sure, it's less stressful to ask a bunch of random people on a forum, but it's not going to be that helpful for this sort of question.

quote:

Or even younger players who aren't used to games this difficult, or games that demand the perseverance that Soulsborne does, or Bloodborne specifically with leveling up being an obtuse mechanism tied into insight which requires lots of trial and error and death, but love these games.
An entire generation of kids survived Battletoads, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, etc and become life-long gamers, or learned fighting games in the arcades (where real money and pride were on the line, no hiding behind the internet, and some of them took more losses than wins for years). It's not for some people, but the potential benefits of them liking it far outweigh any potential consequences of them disliking it, IMO.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Freaking Crumbum posted:

got this for Xmas after sinking hundreds of hours into the entire DeS/DaS quadrilogy, and it's not grabbing me? I've only made it as far as killing the cleric beast boss, but it feels like this game doesn't really do poise/poise damage/hyper armor like DS did? normally I play a heavy armor dude with a giant 2H and just stunlock / interrupt monsters out of their attacks at-will, but I took the initial axe and even in its 2H mode it doesn't feel like I can interrupt enemy attacks. does this become more viable with later progress, or does BB primarily play like a light armor / high DEX build in DS?

Poise isn't really a thing, stunlocking is, hyper armor kinda is (depending on the weapon and attack). For example, light attacks with the axe in either mode can stunlock but have no hyper armor, a non-charged heavy attack also has no armor, but a 2H charged heavy attack (aka spin2win) will have armor once the attack starts. There's also fairly rare/expensive potions you can get later which give you hyper armor for a set time. And you might end up liking some later weapons better for how you want to play.

You can play an interrupt-heavy style, but you generally can't just mindlessly smash your way through like playing DS w/ a giant club or ultra-greatsword. Get good at parrying with your gun for interrupting anything near your size, and learn how to take advantage of the rally system.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah, i saw that a charged 2H axe R2 could interrupt a guy, but that takes a non-trivial amount of time to build up, and it basically eats my whole stamina bar for the one attack. i guess i was referring more to hyper armor, where in DS you can "trade" hits with a monster and if your armor is heavy enough & your weapon is big enough your attack "goes through" the monster's attack, and you can interrupt them. in this way, you can get super aggressive up into a monster's grill, knocking them out of their attack animation with each swing.
I understand what you mean, though I may not be communicating it clear enough, as I've played all the Souls games mainly using big swords and 2H clubs. The trading hits style you're describing, if you're unwilling to make at least small modifications to it, just isn't viable in BB. The main reasons being you can't (directly) tank as much damage because BB armor mitigates way less damage than heavy DS armor, poise doesn't exist in BB, and because (as you've seen) armored attacks can be slow and in BB don't have unlimited armor.

If you're willing to give a little time seeing if you can adjust your style to something you still find fun, here's the main things to consider:

- Use bigger weapons at range. DS lets you get away with using big weapons at point-blank range, BB does not. The ax is definitely slow to startup, but it has that massive 2H range and coverage for a reason, and the charged attack will knock down basically anything that's not huge for long enough to recover stamina. When they get up, let them run right back into another charged attack.
- Your gun is the best way to interrupt attacks at close range. It's real quick, and dashing forward right at an enemy and then blasting him when he dares to swing at you into a visceral feels really good. The guns are the parry tool instead of shields in DS. In a way I think it's less risky in BB, because even mistimed the shot will often just make them flinch enough to stop the attack.
- The rally system will help with trading hits, but it won't let you just mash away forever, because normally it takes a few rally hits to regain the health you lost in one trade. And if something hits hard enough to one-shot you (there are things that will depending on your health and if you get counter-hit), well, the trading hits style wouldn't work in BB or DS anyways.

Also, you may just need to find a weapon that clicks better for you, there's enough different weapon styles to be worth trying.

lambskin posted:

Finally got to the elevator in nightmare frontier. This has probably been the most annoying zone yet. Almost got installed in my first encounter with a wandering lantern. I had like 10 hp to spare after getting frenzied.
That has to be my least favorite zone, mainly because I hate the color palette and design. It's like I can't focus on anything and everything's somehow both dull and garish. The lanterns sure don't help.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Freaking Crumbum posted:

thanks for the feedback! I guess i'll have to stick it out a little longer, at least until I can unlock a few more weapons, to see if anything grabs me. I'm a little salty that light armor + dodge & parry is the primary play style, because I never ever riposted successfully in any of the DS games (except maybe by accident), so I'm completely unfamiliar with approaching the game from that perspective.

mostly I prefer great 2H weapons in DS because they tend to deal more damage, which means I can kill a monster in fewer hits, which means they're alive for a shorter time and thus are less likely to waste my resources via attrition, or catch me in some bullshit combo or grab move or whatever. basically, the faster they die, the less risk I'm facing. I've bumped the axe up to +2 and dropped some points in STR, but it still feels like the damage is underwhelming on anything that isn't just the trash hollow dudes stumbling around.

I feel you on DS riposting, I was never good at it and rarely used it. It was especially bad in my case because I tended to do the opposite of most goons and pump endurance rather than vitality, which usually meant missing the riposte meant death or very close to it. BB is more forgiving with the timing, shoot them during the swing windup and you'll usually just stop their attack, shoot them later when they're in the act of swinging and you get a visceral chance for potentially huge damage (this scales primarily w/ skill, btw). Plus the visceral act/sound is so satisfying. The only downside to parrying is you can run out of bullets and then have to buy or farm more. Also you can't parry giant-size creatures, so dodging is required for those encounters. While you search for other weapons, I'd suggest focusing on learning to abuse the range of the ax in transformed mode, and when you're down to single enemies switch it to untransformed mode and practice dodging and parrying. Both the charged spin and parrying are very, very useful against the first human-sized boss you encounter. The ax has good damage (though like a lot of weapons, it doesn't get that noticeable until around +6), but there are definitely other strength weapons w/ better damage.

m.hache posted:

I suppose I can see the value in the Kirkhammer. Ironically I'm playing BB like DS with a big, slow 2H when I never used a 2H in DS. The dodging and character movement is just so much better for positioning a giant overhead slam with this axe.

It sounds like there is at least one weapon the scythe aka Burial Blade you'd like as an upgrade over the ax (that's how I felt about it), but unfortunately it's not available until the very end of NG. I basically used nothing but the Ax in NG and branched off to other weapons for good in NG+, nothing wrong w/ that.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Burial Blade is SKL/ARC though and m.hache running STR iirc, so even when it becomes available they may not have the best stats for it.

Good point, though that's a temporary problem (that's exactly how my character was when I first tried it). If that weapon's style and moveset ends up feeling better than the ax, by that time they should be ready for and/or running FRC depth 4/5 chalices, and those give enough blood echos that pumping stats is a real quick process.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Oxyclean posted:

I just wanted something to put in the slot. Wasn't sure if there was anything easily accessible or not.

I am really not liking the blood vial system right now. I'm using more then I find and I don't know any spots with enemies that drop many.

The werewolves on the bridge near the start usually drop a handful, and you'll get some here and there from the big townsfolk, but yeah, there's not a really good spot to focus on farming them. Back when I still had this problem, I'd just make several loops from the Central Yharnam lamp down to the bridge werewolves and back again, and use the spare echos to either level up or buy more vials. I agree the vial system can be annoying, though.

For now, I'd suggest trying to use less blood vials unless you think a run is going pretty well, and if possible make up for some of it w/ emphasis on rallying, if you're not already. It makes you focus harder on improving and being observant, and you're less likely to run out when you really need them.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, that big spider is one of the few enemies in the game I never beat straight-up because NOPE! I made sure to kill it each run by getting it stuck in the doorway, hitting it once and dodging back until I was absolutely sure it stopped attacking, because if I didn't, I'd always have the irrational thought it could still sneak up behind me somehow. Still not the most NOPE version of a spider enemy I've seen though, that "honor" goes to those drat transparent hissing spiders in System Shock 2.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Darth Walrus posted:

The residents of Brightstone Cove Tseldora from DS2 have to be up there.

Kind of, yeah. I'd say that place had the most NOPE spider environment. The spiders weren't significantly creepier than normal once out in the open (even the boss wasn't that bad, the laser kind of ruined the atmosphere), but seeing the dark cavern holes where you just knew they were waiting for you, or running over giant webbing in low visibility where you just knew they were again waiting for you, that's what made it NOPE.

The System Shock 2 spiders basically combined all that atmosphere into spider form. They were transparent, so they were very hard to see, especially when the room wasn't brightly lit. But you could see that creepy leg movement if you squinted hard. You either knew they were around by hearing those legs make that tap-tap-tap-tap sound, or by hearing them make the most hair-raising hissing sounds ever... or when you didn't detect them and OHHELLOHISSINGSPIDERONMYHEAD.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

More insight makes a limited number of enemies (especially the ones that can cause frenzy) somewhat more difficult, but also shows a bit more cool stuff in the world. I forget the cutoff, but past 40 or 50 there's no major differences.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Only thing I didn't like about the research hall was I found it confusing to navigate, even after being in it for a while. I like the comparison to the Duke's Archives, because I had a similar problem with it.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Max Wilco posted:

It bothers me that it hasn't clicked yet, because Bloodborne seems to be given higher praise than Souls games. I really took to Dark Souls 1 after I gave it another chance, and I after I finished it, I wanted to play the next one right away (I haven't finished DS2, but I've made some major progress through it). I feel that in turn I should instantly adore Bloodborne, but I don't yet. Part of the problem is that I still don't feel like I have a good grasp on the bullet parrying (though I don't know how vital that is to beating the game). It could be that DS and Nioh have sort of conditioned me to fall back on blocking.

Gun parrying is definitely not necessary. It just accomplishes two things: Makes some fights go a good deal quicker and feels real good the better you get at it. More important to learn is confidence in dodging, as well as when to hit-and-run vs when to be really aggressive. Could also be a matter of finding the right weapon. And armor is basically interchangeable for reducing physical damage, but certain sets do have better resistances to properties like fire, poison, etc...

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I'm on the "you can never have too much stamina" side. Maybe 20-25 is enough if you stick w/ the lighter (versions of) weapons, but I enjoy having the option to use big, heavy attacks more than a few times while still dodging around. I also have more fun playing the game when I know I don't have the room for error to just tank hits.

Of course, if you prefer quick, light attacks then yeah vitality is better. And if rally is a big part of how you like to play, then yeah you'd want to focus on vitality first. Can't rally if you can't survive the hits in the first place.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Samuringa posted:

Well, call me MorallyInept because I just hosed a bitch :smug:

Thanks to whoever left the message about the fire weakness on the entrance to the church, that made things much more smoother. I mean, I would have beat her without it if it weren't for that goddamn healing she does but still. Although, now that it's over, I guess there must be some easy way to counterattack that that I didn't think of.

Now, I got some questions. I have two items, one red jewel and the golden pendant I won from Amelia. Both of them say they can be used to earn me Gems, but I'm also afraid of wasting something that might be a significant key item. Do I just use those or there'll be an occasion later where they'll be needed?

Second, the FAKE Ludwig Blade is really disappointing me, it's essentially a dumbed down Cleric Hammer. I wanted to try as many weapons as possible in this game since they're all so unique, but this is just...lame. I feel scammed and am considering selling it back to the fountain friends.

Adding to that, if the blade was crap, I'm going to assume Ludwig's Rifle is the same? I'm pretty much using my pistol only to draw enemies away from groups but I'm still wondering.

Also, that old lady in the cathedral started freaking out, so I guess I messed up by inviting her here. At least there's no Firekeeper to be murdered in this game.

I opened up the Bonfire in the Forbidden Woods, but I also want to explore the area around Amelia's cathedral a little more, but that's for tomorrow.

- Numbing mist stops healing for a period of time

- You can go ahead and get the gems if you want, you won't need the items later

- I'd recommend against selling it. There were some weapons that I didn't get into or find a use for until I was way more comfortable w/ the game, and you're not going to get a ton by selling it anyways.

- Never used the rifle myself, but yeah if you're not heavy on bloodtinge and you'd just use it to draw enemies away, don't bother. Also, don't forget you can use pebbles to draw away enemies, in the event you start needing those bullets for other things.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Your Computer posted:

I guess I'll try that. Meanwhile I've been banging my head against another ridiculous boss, but at least this one's good; Ludwig. He also has an instant-kill charge but at least I've been able to dodge that one most of the time :v: Not sure how I feel about his jump though.

I know this is a thing of preference, but while I think Bloodborne is pretty amazing I'm not a huge fan of how many bosses have a one-hit KO attack (or multiple). I mean, the damage you take is just generally way higher in BB than in the Souls games even outside of gamebreaking stuff like Havel's and I guess the idea is that combat is supposed to be much faster and much more lethal but in a lot of cases it just means that you gently caress up one time and you die. Back to loading screens. :sigh:

Those charges are very high damage, but also remember Bloodborne has counter-hit damage. Meaning, if you get hit while you're taking an action (ex. trying to dodge a charge), you'll take more damage than if you just stood there. So, depending on what your vitality is, you may be able to survive those charges if you just take the hit without trying to dodge.

I seem to have better luck than some here dodging those attacks, especially from Ebrietas, but even the way I found best back when I was first going through this game (dodge to your left locked-on at the last possible moment, pretty dangerous) only seemed like a coinflip if it worked. I never tried a few other ways I saw mentioned earlier.

Also Ludwig's huge ceiling jump has an easy tell to know when to dodge. Wait to see/hear (I usually went by the audio) some blood to drip down, wait just a bit longer and then dodge.

Mason Dixon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 11, 2018

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The DLC is more like endgame difficulty, it's just available much sooner. And yes you can get a bunch of weapons from it just by running past everything.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Rom went from a very hard fight to almost the easiest boss in the game (only the Hemwick witches are easier) for me after I figured out how to dodge the ice barrage consistently and took my time killing the little spiders. More power to you if your spidey-sense is good enough keep track of all the little spiders while killing Rom, it certainly makes the fight go faster. Either way, it's not a bad boss. The only bad bosses in this game to me are cursed hot dog and amygdala, both of which are chalice-only.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Bust Rodd posted:

How can you possibly argue that dodging is more “core” to the game experience when parrying is the entire reason firearms are in the game? What’s on the cover? A guy dodging?

They are both buttons on your controller, and swapping back and forth between 1h-2H modes doesn’t always rob you of your gun either.

Parrying is so important to every build they even made sure Augur could do it so people who exclusively play 2H can still parry.

You can always dodge (because it uses a resource that naturally renews constantly), not just to i-frame through attacks but for general positioning, and dodging can be used effectively against every enemy in the game. You can run out of bullets to parry and parrying does not work on every enemy in the game. Parrying is extremely helpful and yes it's a core mechanic, but it really isn't as essential as dodging. I'm one of those people who beat the game at least once almost never parrying (and that's not bragging, it's saying parrying was a mechanic that didn't click for me for a long time and so I avoided using it until NG+ basically), but I can't imagine playing the game without dodging.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Oh c'mon, just do the DLC in NG+. Yes, it's quite hard, but if I (who is definitely not even close to the most skilled hunter in this thread) can scrape and claw my way through the DLC for the first time in NG++, then I'm going to say more people shouldn't be so worried about doing it in NG.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This is bad advice and is asking for trouble.

Disagree. Maybe it's bad if you're easily frustrated or prefer just doing NG w/ multiple builds, but it's not the hopeless impossibility that too often gets implied. Also, challenges are fun. And really, why not let him try it sooner rather than later, and he can decide for himself if it's too much and he'd rather start over in NG?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Awesome. I came home from work for lunch and started playing around with the burial blade again. That thing seems like it does way more damage than listed against the hunters in the first part of the DLC. Feels like the transformed mode is 1) the only mode you should use and 2) as strong or stronger than LHB

Transformed BB is indeed great and one of my favorites, but the base form is also solid, just in different situations. Some of the really fast, evasive enemies IMO feel much easier to handle w/ the base form (especially if you get in a scramble), and it's much less likely to collide w/ a wall in a narrow corridor or some other nearby structure.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I actually don't mind any of those things about Nightmare Frontier, but I still do hate the place, almost purely because of the visual design. It's probably just me, but compared to every other area, it lacks atmosphere and something about the texture and palette choices (outside of the swamp parts) make it real hard for me to visually focus, everything just kinda runs together and gives me a headache. I think it's funny that my favorite game in the Soulsborne series has my least favorite poison swamp level.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

U-DO Burger posted:

That trailer had so many dark souls animations in it, i dunno what you're talking about

Lot of familiar sound effects, too.

But, really, the most important question is will your character be able to do powerbombs like the one giant guy in the trailer did?

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Careful with burning through too many blood vials trying to power through Gascoigne, that can leave you in the annoying spot of needing to spend a bunch of time farming blood vials (or echoes to buy blood vials) before you've beaten him. Something I did when it was clear I was struggling with a boss was basically forbidding myself from using more than a few blood vials until a certain point in the fight and focus on just learning the fight up to that point. Gascoigne has a few different phases, so you could do that for each phase. There's a good amount you can learn from this fight.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

:allears:
My favorite DLC boss, just over Ludwig and Maria. Not just the fight and post-fight, but his weapon is amazing in the most horrifying way, the music is haunting, then add in story implications and the stage. :discourse:

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

GutBomb posted:

I beat Amelia tonight with the help of an internet rando and the Flamesprayer. I’m glad I never have to hear that shrieking again. Although with this game I’m sure I’ll just be hearing someone else shrieking.

:allears:

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

dantheman650 posted:

Also to the few who asked, no, I did not get the Rakuyo. I guess I still have some exploring left in the Fishing Hamlet.

All that’s left now is Kos, Laurence, Logarius, and whatever awaits after Margo’s Wet Nurse. Still could take a while.

Well, now... let us know when you find the Rakuyo.

For the bosses left, Laurence is the least interesting IMO, so I'd suggest getting him out of the way sooner rather than later.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I think I also noticed blood oozing from the ceiling on the spot where he would land

Yeah, that's the sign I always used to time the dodge for his big leap. Run around while watching for the drips from above, then roll forward after like half a second or so.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Picking off the spiders first works perfectly well and is part of how I beat Rom each time. You should have no trouble reacting to the ice, because one or two spiders by themselves don't take much focus. And once you figure out how to consistently dodge the ice, this way becomes a consistent one-attempt clear and makes Rom one of the easiest bosses in the game.

Agreed on chalice Rom, as the smaller arena w/ pillars blocking your vision make keeping track of things harder and requires more focus.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

When people talk about the chalice dungeons being bad, usually that means they're referring to the pre-made ones which you have to go through to get to the interesting parts. The pre-made ones take a noticeable amount of time, especially if you happen to miss the level unlock "rewards" (giant treasure chests full of tomb mold :geno: ), and visually they just don't have the appeal of the main game (which I understand for the randomly generated levels, but I wish they had made the pre-made ones more visually interesting). Don't get me wrong, I think the interesting parts are definitely worth it, but there's a reason why the normal recommendation is to not do the pre-made levels in a few big sittings, and there's plenty of room for improvement if From takes another try at a chalice dungeon concept.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

You know what else would be so much better with a pause function?

This discussion. :boom:

In all seriousness, I'm perfectly fine w/ no pause given the large majority play in online mode, but I won't throw a fit if a Bloodborne 2 had a pause feature for offline mode only.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Febreeze posted:

I feel like people who hate chalice Rom are the people who ignore the spiders in the main game and hit and run. I've always methodically killed the spiders then beat the poo poo out of rom. It takes longer but I've died like 3 times total on both versions doing it that way. Every time I try hit and run I get annihilated by random bullshit. It feels way easier to create my openings instead of finding them.

I actually found chalice Rom easier because the pillars can block the meteor attack.

Way back before I figured out how to dodge the meteors consistently, I would've agreed about the chalice pillars, but now I think the Rom fight is easiest when you have a completely unobstructed view of what Rom and the spiders in your immediate area are doing at almost all times. The only way you die with the killing the little spiders first method at that point is if you mess up. I find the chalice version harder because the pillars can partially hide when a spider or Rom is about to attack. Also, it's a little harder to see the spiders against the dark cave floor.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Blood moon borne

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

He does. Phase 1: Untransformed weapon. Phase 2: Transformed weapon. Phase 3: Beast form

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

My head canon for Gascoigne being able to fire a gun while two-handing the ax is he's actually using the Augur of Ebrietas, but the player's insight isn't high enough to perceive it (my head canon also says it would need to be 100 and the max is 99, to account for NG+ and beyond), so they just see him using a gun instead. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

So, you started off the fight good because you waited to really attack until you dodged a big swing and got around to his side or back, and then you backed off before he could attack you, that's good. Then later you got cornered and stopped dodging, instead trying to out-DPS him, which got you killed. Try to keep your focus on doing like how you started this fight, don't panic and try to rush it, and never attack so much that you can't dodge.

Two other things: One, pay a little more attention (as best the camera allows) to where you are. It looked like you panicked a bit when you realized you were stuck in the corner. You can dodge out of bad positioning, but it's better to keep yourself out of tight spots in the first place, even if that means you have to back off a chance to attack. It's fine if you don't set a speed record in killing it. Two: You're keeping the ax transformed in 2-handed mode the entire time. Yes, that does more damage, but it's also slower to recover and uses more stamina. Be smarter about when to use the ax 1-handed vs 2-handed. Use the 2-handed form like at the beginning of this fight when he took a while to recover, because you have time to get a few big swings in and then you can move away without needing to dodge. If you insist on attacking when he's not taking forever to recover, the 1-handed form will give you more room for error if you need to dodge in a hurry.