Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
The Church Pick's 2h is utterly terrific, but the untransformed version has a tendency to whiff (like the Reiterpallasch).

Saif's so good it feels like cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

shut up blegum posted:

Spoil it please.
I have killed Amelia I (that's the weird goat woman right), and then I checked out the altar.

Ahem, the correct term is screaming dog princess

e:

Labes for days posted:

I just don't know what the gently caress to do. Have died to Maria more than any boss and unlike Logarius I can't really say "eh gently caress it" because then I'd be missing content if I go on to fight Gehrman. I've gone to all the optional areas, tried to upgrade my weapons, am trying the augur/blades tactic and nothing works. I am just beside myself. What the hell else can I do???

(Other than "git gud")

LobosJr's Stake Driver Charged R2 only run is worth a look for Maria. As the title suggests, he has to find windows to charge an R2. It acts as a really good analysis of Maria, her moveset, and where the gaps are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prL51Ngt6BU&t=1239s

Perfectly Safe fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 27, 2018

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

shut up blegum posted:

Hmmm, I encountered blue shining lanterns in the nightmare realm or whatever. What are those? I also fell down a ledge and into green toxic water and eventually ended up at the amygdala? Feels like I skipped a ton of the area.

There are little messenger lanterns all over the area that light when you get near - so that you know if you've already been somewhere.

You also found the speedrun route.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

shut up blegum posted:

Alright, I'm done with the game for now. I'm lebel 60-ish and I'm at the unseen village. I have to fight 3 hunters at once and it's bullshit.
I don't know where else I can go to grind a bit or whatever, and I tried to do some dungeons but they're really boring too. Open door, run through long hallway, open next door, kill 4 skeletons in a dark room, get lost, finally spot a tiny door in said dark room, get through it and repeat it all. And for what, the only rewards I have gotten out of them so far are material to open another dungeon :rolleyes:

Well, don't give up, skeleton. As has been said, run past them or cheese them or something. They're a gank squad - the point (imo) is to survive, not to beat them.

Chalice dungeons are not everyone's cup of tea, but almost everyone is unenamoured by the first one anyway and you shouldn't take that as an indication of how the chalice dungeons are generally. They're like Bloodborne: Arcade Mode. Some of the bosses are really good. At your level, you won't be challenged seriously until you get to the level 3 dungeons. If you're bored by the exploration then grab a guide to make sure that you pick up the materials you need.

A caveat: you can get phenomenally, gamebreakingly overpowered in chalice dungeons due to the sheer quantity of echoes available in levels 4 and 5.

e:

Bust Rodd posted:

I just use the cage trick every time because a 3v1 isn’t a fair fight, gently caress decorum
When I can be bothered, I use the fenced area around the tree close to the lamp. they don't path around the fence and you can hit them through it. Still have to dodge the tiny tonitrus and you can still be hit by melee if you're close to the fence but man does it make it a lot easier.

Perfectly Safe fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 1, 2018

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Platypus Farm posted:

I could live in Cainhurst.

Yeah, well, it has that chilled, relaxing atmosphere, doesn't it?

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

As fun as the burial blade is it's windup is too slow. I have a maxed one and I leave it behind for BoM, Ludwig's, Whirligig, Rakuyo

Yeah, I think that the BB probably excels in transform attacks and the like, but that's no good for R1 spammers like me. The range is nice, but I prefer the Hunter's Axe as a proper 2h weapon with reach.

On an unrelated note, I have never been able to use the Kirkhammer because the aesthetics of scooting around with a large stone block on your back wrecks my head.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Over There posted:

Trying this when I get home.

Upon discovering that the glow produces zero actual light, comfort yourself with the fact that you'll easily be able to kill the ceiling-dropping poo poo monsters.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

The Zombie Guy posted:

That's the problem right there... Your large stone block should be firmly attached to your sword at all times, thereby allowing you to smash the everloving gently caress out of the filthy beasts.

Then you don't have to worry about the block ruining your Fashion Souls aesthetic.

That's even worse (and it's not the fashion, it's the whole look of moving nimbly with a hundred kilos of stone on your back). Then you're a) ruining your sword and b) carrying a massive stone block on a stick and moving around nimbly.

I am perfectly at ease with all the other trick weapons, even though i know and occasionally think things like "well, you're not actually applying much force there, which is why swords had handles at one end and the sharp bit at the other", "that's not going to collapse easily now it's got bits of hair and flesh stuck in it", "what sort of moron has a sheath that's also a sword blade?" and "yeah, that's just going to bend straight away, mate". But the kirkhammer just tips me over the edge. It's physicality is so bluntly contrary to what you're seeing.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I said it was comforting, not actually useful :colbert:

To my mind, the Moonlight Greatsword is second only to the saif in terms of good weapons to have for chalice dungeons, and is probably the best swiss army knife weapon. The horizontal sweep, the arcane damage when you need it, the exquisite general moveset, the transform attacks - what is not to love? There isn't a boss that you can't ably fight with it.

The fact that it doesn't actually cast any light is disappointing; that it takes a little while to realise that it's just making your ambient light a bit greener rather than producing anything of its own is a monstrous betrayal; a wicked trick that is the true horror of Bloodborne.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I've been misunderstood once again! D: yeah the light isn't useful but it's comforting, and the weapon is insanely good. I've never actually tried the Saif, maybe I should sometime. That Burial Blade run comes first though.

No, I understood :) I just took the opportunity to talk about my favourite weapons because I'm simply ghastly like that.

Saif is easymode, basically. A weapon that dodges and attacks at the same time? Sign me up. It's just brilliant for those crowds of spiders that you get in chalices. It's not so good for bosses since it has quite a narrow attack area, but that's what your second weapon slot is for.

Anyway, enjoy the BB run. I've been doing one myself and it's a nice weapon. I suspect that it really shines in PVP due to the moveset, but I avoid pvp like the plague.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Basebf555 posted:

How much Bloodtinge do I need to fully take advantage of using the Evelyn? 50? More?

If memory serves, BT has to be around 25ish for Evelyn to start to do more damage than the Hunter Pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Zore posted:

Logarius is also completely optional and you can just like... skip him if you don't want to deal with it

Yeah, he's not a particularly good, fun, or satisfying boss. Skipping Kalameet is a crime, but Logarius? Pfft. He's basically a puzzle boss - the most interesting thing about the fight is figuring out what to do. I've never felt compelled to go back and fight him again unless it's been relevant to whatever playthrough I'm doing. Gimme my chunks and I'll be back...later, mate. You just wait there.