Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Re-posting that for the first time I got a character to a Depth 5 F/R/C root chalice and JESUS CHRIST THE GEMS! Maybe I got lucky with my very first root chalice, but the very first room of the very first layer has 12 Celestial Emissaries and an enemy hunter, which nets me about 150k echoes and usually 3-4 cursed gems in less than 5 minutes, and the gems are completely bunkers (on my first visit, I got one with +23% physical attack and + 14 Bolt attack, but -63 durability, which is insanely annoying on a Chikage).

Are the "levels" of the curse and the boosts directly related? I found a cursed gem with a super smooth curse, like +2% stamina spent, but with only +11% physical attack. Is it possible to find a better gem with the same curse, like +28% physical but only +2% stamina use, or would that kind of gem have a proportionate curse?

I also finally got the third ending (I'd never gotten the "Wake up" ending in any of my previous characters). Only 1 achievement left!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
What kind of difficulty increase am I looking forward to between NG+ and NG+2? Lately, I've been spending most of my time in Depth 5 Chalice Dungeons, going back to the main game when I get stuck on a boss, and the main game bosses are pathetically easy in comparison. I had a lot of trouble with Lower Loran Paarl, so I was hesitant to tackle NG+ Paarl, but I wiped the floor with him on my first attempt, and now I'm wondering if I could power through NG+ as fast as I can and try my hand at +2.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Ugh, loving Defiled Watchdog... I always get more than halfway through its health with relative ease, but one of 2 things always happen: either I break one of its legs, I attack a few times, the chikage attack animation brings me right under it and I get stuck or miss the cue for the charge attack and get killed in one shot, or I get stunlocked by the bite animation and die.

I know exactly what I'm doing wrong; I'm too agressive, partly because rallying the health I lose to smaller attacks is tempting but mostly because the fight takes so long that I really want to deal as much damage as I can when I see an opening and I end up pushing my luck too far. The worst thing is that I'd already be done with it if I just bit the bullet and spent 10 minutes swinging at it once in a while for 500 damage a pop.

I also just got another Blood Rock and used it to bring the bloodletter to +10, and I'm really, really disappointed in it. It's cool that it only hurts you once instead of constantly draining your health, and it looks really awesome, but it's so hard to come back to that kind of moveset after the speed of the Chikage. It's also kind of annoying that I can't really use it untransformed because my strength is so low, but I knew that going in.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Finally got my platinum trophy! I swear to god that the loving Watchdog was harder than Amygdala (mostly because the Bowblade is loving amazing on a bloodtinge build). I started dicking around in NG+2, trying to rush the DLC to get the materials to bring my Lost chikage to +10 (now I regret wasting all those chunks and rocks on weapons that I knew I wouldn't really use, like the Burial Blade and the Hunter's Torch...), and I'm starting to feel the NG+2 pain.

I started a STR/ARC character for when I get bored of farming gems and materials, and realized that I'm using "real" STR weapons (axe, hammer, etc.) for the first time. I did use them, briefly, on my very first character years ago, but I always came back to the Saw Cleaver and never bothered to learn the slower, heavier weapons. They're pretty cool, even if I'm having trouble beating BSB (after clowning him on NG+ and NG+2 in the same night). Also, the lower SKL makes for disappointing visceral attacks. Can't wait to get proper ARC tools though; some of them, like the brew, I never even tried once.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

the truth posted:

Whatever. Glad to be done. Supposedly Defiled Amygdala is even worse, though.
He really wasn't for me, but I have to admit that I got through at least 60% of his health with the Bowblade. Between 800 and 1200 damage for one bullet AND from a safe(-ish) distance made the whole thing pretty easy, especially compared to the dozens of attemps I'd made at Watchdog.

The worst thing is, I was watching Genocyber's LP in-between sessions, for tips and because it's a great LP, and in the last DLC episode she says that she had to try 8 or 9 times to fight Orphan of Kos, making it the hardest boss in the entire series, which really didn't seem like a lot after wondering if I myself had reached attempt #50 on Watchdog...

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 18, 2017

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Guillermus posted:

So after messing with some "easy" chalices and having a high level arcane character ready (50vit, 40endurance, 75arc) I want to get my platinum by going all out on chalices.

Is there an easy guide about the order to do chalices to kill Queen Yharnam? I'll fully explore and do only the needed ones.

So far I've done Pthumeru, Central Pthumeru and Lower Pthumeru (not a single root one). Ignoring root ones, Sinister Lower Pthumeru is next (got mats) and I miss 'bastard of Loran' for Cursed and Defiled Chalice. What would be the route to follow? Do I need to do at least once all the root ones to get more materials?

Sinister can (and should) be skipped. The next Chalice you need to do would be Cursed and Defiled Pthumeru, but I'm 90% sure you need to do Ailing Loran for a Bastard of Loran. The wiki says you can buy them once you hit NG+, if you've reached that point with that character, but I get the feeling that you have to have found one before it shows up in the Insight bath.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I think this would also be a good time to voice my opinion that while the pre-made chalice dungeons get really obnoxious, annoying, redundant and boring, I actually had a lot of fun once I started doing Depth 5 FRC Root Chalices. Maybe you'll have a different experience, but I think the main reasons why I disliked the dungeons was that there was an order you had to do them in, either because of the Chalices or the materials, so if you got stuck, all you could do was keep trying to beat the same boss over and over until you succeeded. Once you're just spelunking for gems/runes/weapons/etc. and realize that if you don't like a boss, you can just hit up one of your other 7 stones and start a new FRC Dungeon for free and come back later (or not. Up to you!), it's a lot less frustrating and a lot easier to enjoy them.

There's also the fact that when you encounter a huge room with 4 witches, 4 scourge beasts and a rolling naked dude in a root chalice, I think it's funny that the RNG can be so cruel, but when you find a one-hit-kill witch at the top of a ladder, or 2 bell-ringing maidens summoning spiders behind a closed door in a pre-made dungeon, I blame one of the level designers for designing a really lovely encounter.

The random encounters in root chalice dungeons can also, ironically, be much more interesting than any of the ones in pre-made dungeons. And the loot is much, much better (finding Tier 3 runes, great gems and alternate weapons is much more satisfying than ritual materials).

What I'm saying is: even if you think chalice dungeons suck, give the root ones a chance. Maybe after doing something else for a while, because visually, they don't get any better.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Could someone clarify the Arcanist's Cookbook for me? I'm starting my first ARC character and I just beat BSB (after about a billion attempts) and Amelia (after about 4 swings), and I'm longing, yearning for better gems. At the moment, I have the 8.4% fire Waning gem from Cathedral ward and, I believe, an 8.2% fire Radial gem with a secondary +5 ATK, probably from one of the early Chalice Dungeons. On a +6 LHB, it brings my damage output a tiny bit higher than with pure physical gems for most enemies and absolutely destroys beasts (seriously, killed Amelia in like 3 charged R2s), but I'd like to really, really obliterate everything even a little bit weak to fire, so I looked at the Cookbook and there are a few questions I'd like to ask before I start hunting for gems.

1- When the Cookbook says "Cursed" in the "Cursed/Tertiary" cell, does it mean that the gem is cursed, or that I should add the Cursed rite to the dungeon to find that gem?

2- I know I'm not at that point yet, but when it says "+65 Cold", it means the Cold Blood Gem that gives +65 ARC scaling, right?

3- When it says "Fire conversion" or "Bolt conversion", that's supposed to be the best setup to make a weapon with no ARC scaling into a Fire/Bolt weapon? And if a weapon already has ARC scaling, I should be looking for the other setups?

It was probably a mistake to put so many points into ARC so early, before I get any offensive Hunter Tool, but the insane increase I got as soon as I got my first gems felt so good, it's almost worth being one-shot by pretty much every boss atttack and running out of stamina after 2 swings. I can't wait to reach the later parts of the game with this character!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

the truth posted:

Never touched the blunderbuss. Will try it at some point. I need a break.

My strategy is to do a couple visceral attacks, then when he is just barely above 50% health I use flame paper and do another visceral attack and sail on him while he is transforming his weapon. I haven’t found a way to stop the transformation, and this method can leave him with just about 1/4 health remaining.

Trying things out is always a good idea so you should definitely go ahead and try the 'buss, but in my experience the longer delay before getting the shot off was hard to get used to and made parrying certain attacks almost impossible outside of random chance, a little bit like trying to parry with the Augur, but obviously not as bad.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I got to the Forbidden Woods on my ARC character, and I seemed to remember that there was a semi-useful Arcane gem in the cave leading to Iosefka's clinic, so I got in that narrow rock corridor for the first time since 2015 and gently caress I HATE THOSE MAGGOTS. To make matters worse, I killed a few of them and 2 of the giants, then thought "I'll unlock the shortcut to Iosefka's before I go further, so if I die, I won't have to go through the woods", but apparently discovering the clinic or opening the shortcut to the first lamp resets the enemies, so when I got back to the cave, all the maggots and giants had respawned. I kited them all out of the narrow passage and tried to fight them, but after using my last blood vial I knew I wouldn't make it, so I used Adella's blood, ran to the end for the gem, ran back, popped an antidote and Iosefka's blood and managed to get out with a sliver of health left. Then I got killed by a dog back in the woods because I forgot that they'd respawned.

But hey, I got the gem, the Cainhurst summons and the tonsil stone (unrelated), so Executioner's Glove and Augur, here I come!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Yeah, I fell down that hole once, but I got maggoted in a second and a half, so this time I thought that it would be safer to kill them one or two at a time outside of the passage, but with the poison floor, constantly getting hit despite my best efforts at dodging and the surprise respawned enemies, I ran out of vials before I was done.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Cultisto posted:

So my STR/ARC character doesn't have an Arcane weapon yet, and putting early points into Arcane has really made the mid game rather difficult. I'm just sticking to Hunter Axe until I can get the sword, currently in Lower Pthumerian chalice and had to call in for an assist to take down the Undead Giant with chains on his back. Having 25 ARC that would have rather been put into strength or skill or just more health makes tearing through even normal critters take more hits than I'd like but I'm hoping it'll pay off in the long run and make NG+ more fun. Even killing that trio of hunters in Yahar'Gul was a massive pain though I did somehow manage to beat the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst, finishing Eileen's story for the first time ever.

I got to the same Undead Giant with my ARC character yesterday and I actually enjoyed fighting it for the first time ever, mostly because the Ludwig's Holy Blade's moveset lets you get in a nice rythm of dodging through its chains and charging an R2, then getting the gently caress out. I did cheese the end of the fight with the Executioner's Glove because he gets really aggressive at low health.

I completely destroyed Amygdala (the story version) with the Glove, I'm really starting to see the fun of the ARC build. Uses a shitload of vials though...

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Yeah, the early NG+feels appropriate for end-game levels and +9/10 weapons and the difficulty curve seems to take into account how slowly you level up past this point. Also (and this might be a personal thing), I always felt that the regular enemies like the Huntsmen received a significant boost, to the point of feeling like Depth 5 Watchers, but the bosses are much easier than they would be in a Chalice Dungeon.

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 26, 2017

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

The Kingfish posted:

Also, it is worth it to fortify the hunter's torch?
Up to +6, absolutely. For a lot of my characters, the torch was the best way to kill some enemies in the chalice dungeons (like the scorpions and the blobs). After that though, you're using resources that you might want to use on actual weapons. Plus, you can never put greens in the torch, so it never gets amazing or anything. I'd say only go beyond +6 if you've already upgraded all the weapons you're going to use.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Edmond Dantes posted:

When should I be doing chalice dungeons? Should I be doing chalice dungeons? I just murdered Amelia and was about to head to Hemwick Charnel Lane, I'm lvl... 35 I think?

Only Chalice I have so far is Pthumeru, the one BSB drops.

Just piling on to say that Depth 1 and 2 dungeons are pretty easy to do as soon as you get the chalices. I think Depth 3 is when you're probably going to want to play more of the main game before diving in.

As to whether or not you should do them, it's up to you, really. They're not as good as the main game, but they could hardly be more optional. The only things you could miss by skippeng them is one (admittedly cool) weapon and more powerful blood gems.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

School Nickname posted:

So my brother is playing Bloodborne occasionally. He's a new player to Soulsborne and is adamant that he play BB first as he loves the aesthetic, but he's really struggling through the first area. He managed to beat Cleric Beast, but is struggling against Gascoigne. He's doing new player things like getting anxious over his souls, struggling at parrying, over-healing, not locking on, etc, but he pumped echoes into getting 17 STR and was still doing gently caress all damage to everything. I investigated and figured he hadn't upgraded his weapons and hadn't gotten the kirkhammer for his STR-ish build. Thinking on it, BB really doesn't tell you much about upgrading weapons and weapon stat scaling at all.

The other Souls games aren't much better at teaching you about these details, but do you guys think he'll enjoy BB better after having gone through some DS games? At least in those you can block, and if you gently caress up a parry there's a chance you can parry block.

Not locking on is a pro strat, yo! It's pretty clutch.

I personally think the Bloodborne is the best at teaching its mechanics to new players. Most notably, if your brother is having trouble with choosing weapons and upgrading them, I don't think playing a game with a million weapons with marginal differences and 8 different upgrades trees would be the best or most helpful thing.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

1redflag posted:

The poster above me is a liar. Upgrade your HP first, then focus on an attack stat (I recommend strength) to pump.
I would maybe add that if you were way into parrying in Souls and want to bring that over in Bloodborne, maybe Skill (dex) would be a better choice as your main damage stat since it dictates visceral (backstabs and parry attacks) damage.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm doing a skilltinge run and Simon's Bowblade loving rules.

The only way I managed to kill Defiled Amygdala. Or at least it made it not a huge pain in the rear end.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I need more health with the chikage. When I do co-op the health drain is way too fast.

Also the damage seems underwhelming even with two good phys and a 31% Bloodtinge, at least compared to the Saif at +8

I haven't played in forever, but isn't the Chikage health drain a set percentage of your max health? like, a bit less than 1% per second?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I was bored during the holidays and started a new character on a whim and now I'm entranced again and I only want to play Bloodborne but my friends and family expect me to show up at things! Argh!

Also I didn't really think things through and started with "Violent Past" but decided to pump Skill after seeing how lovely my visceral attacks were so it looks like I'm going to play with 15 Strength for no reason!

Glad to see I'm still pretty OK at the game, I haven't died (to a boss... :() and I'm up to Amelia.

Bloodborne is so good guys!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I just started a new Skill build and, since I'd never used it, I blindly upgraded the Beasthunter Saif as soon as I got it (only to +6) and immediately regretted it. It's not bad, but it's a Skill weapon (well, arguably a Quality weapon, but Skill scaling is technically higher!) but it has a Strength move set, and its default mode is the slower spear mode. I think I'll stick with the Saw Spear until I can get the Rakuyo (in like a week).

I didn't like the Blades of Mercy either. Why do I keep making Skill builds?

Oh, yeah, 5000 damage viceral attacks!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

f#a# posted:

My walls by number of times killed: [...] those two shark giants
I have never, ever defeated them legit (i.e. without Shaman Bone Blading one of them) in any of my dozens of playthrough (actually, maybe 5-6 for the DLC, but still).

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Oh, right, I never gave that one a chance either.

I remember really liking the Burial Blade, but it only being available for NG+ onward is kind of a bummer. I think I remember that you can find a Lost/Uncanny one in Depth 5 dungeons, but at this point I can go for NG+ quicker.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Oh wow, I never even knew about this. I'll try not to cheat (too much) and pick up the runes, but being able to use some of those weapons early is going to be sweet!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Simply Simon posted:

Took me one and a half playthroughs to realize that there are running R2s

I think I didn't know that. I'm not sure.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Johnny Landmine posted:

This loving elevator in the Nightmare of Mensis is the hardest enemy in the game

It's also the only one of these with a loving tarp over it so you can't see where you are relative to the window.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Just yesterday I got on PS Support chat and learned that in Quebec you apparently can't reward people for their gaming achievements. No theme for pauvre moi :(

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Macaluso posted:

I messed around with the pizza cutter and giant hammer and the others but none of them felt anywhere close to as fun as just the basic default untransformed saw cleaver. I can maybe count on one hand the amount of times I used its extendo version.

I used to be a Saw Cleaver/Spear purist, but now the Whirlygig Saw has become the only weapon worthy of being slotted with fire gems on my Arcane runs. A charged R2 that slams enemies into the grounds and grinds them up while also setting them on fire? A L2 that basically allows you to walk forward with a chainsaw in front of you, that's also on fire? A L1 that ALSO slams enemies into the grounds and grinds them up while ALSO ALSO setting them on fire? Yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Bust Rodd posted:

Also the poison spray only lasts for like a minute, it’s like an attack with a cool down, not an permanent phase aura

I know this is old, but I was just catching up with the thread and, after 6 years and probably 50 runs and 1000 hours, I'm still learning things about the 'borne.

It makes so much sense too; I've definitely noticed a couple of times that I wasn't taking poison damage in phase 3 even though I was in range, but I (obviously) never investigated how/why.