Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Had a dream about this game and I'm going back in. This time I'm going to beat every boss with zero help from summons. I'm going to be very frustrated but I'm excited. Probably whirligig/saw cleaver since those always felt like the easiest-to-use pve weapons to me.

Edit: I loved the church pick too but it took a friendly goon (guillermus) and I like ten attempts to take out Ludwig early so I could get it, and I refuse to do him out of sequence again lol

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Amy's arm sounds interesting since I've already used the cleaver on like 3 runs. It's so good damned good but boring at this point. Amy's arm looks fun to get weird with.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Any good sources of just shitloads of BB memes? I have a handful I've collected from this thread and 4chan (ugh) but I really want to pump up my BB folder with some dankness. Memes, comics, cool art, etc.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I know that there are shitloads of dark souls memes but didn't know about bloodborne because being a ps4 exclusive it has a smaller community. Please do enlight me :suspense:

A handful I have saved: https://imgur.com/a/jQq7s

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

It'll help a bit but at least 50% of it is probably just having to get your feet wet. The generic advice that helps a Lot for gascoignd is to dodge forward through his attacks instead of backwards, and really practice parrying his first form.

Running out of bullets and vials is a lovely thing that really sucks when you're learning the game. But you can practice parrying/fighting things a bit to level up and buy them from the dream.

If you can, upload your video when you beat him! Watching new players progress is a fun past time in this thread.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

People refer to 40/25 as quality all the time since you're soft capping Dex to help with scaling on a ton of weapons. Pedantry is not for those who let the good blood guide their way bitxh

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Maybe it is, I usually don't post after being awake for 20 hours. Time for gents

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah dlc for this game owns. You can YouTube suicide run videos for a lot of the weapons. They're in the first area so you just need to run past poo poo, which is in an invaluable part of gettin' good at soulsborne

My second run was with the pizza cutter. First was Ludwig's holy blade, which was boring but safe. Get. That. Pizza cutter.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

celeryman posted:

Thread title is very very good.

I'm wondering if there is anyone who would be willing to carry me into getting the church pick.

Is the church pick worth using?

Good news is church pick loving rules. Guillermus tried carrying me thru at BL like, 30 and it was a fuckin hard fight. Upgraded valtyr helped. Do it with three people so you can just have whoever currently has aggro focus on dodging while the other two people cut his butt.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I downloaded the art book but all the filenames are in Japanese so I have to rename em manually and there's like 300 files argh. Irfanview freaks out when I try to open em and renaming 300 files is a bad Thursday night. I just wanna scour the images for Clues about Lore bitch

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

It automatically records your last fifteen minutes or so. After a fight just hit the share button and you can edit the video down and post it. Sometimes there is jank.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I've gotten away with 15 end on a playthrough but it wasn't my first and I didn't do chalices. Definitely worth pumping a bit for hardest content tho.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Base game: 15 stam is enough, 20 if it's your first time through
Hardest content: 50 stam no items final destination

e: but seriously you're going to finish the game before you cap out your damage stats and VIT and I think those are more fun to level than end. just my opinion. and just for the base game.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I am covered in my own cum

What is it. This is so exciting

ed: dont click this if you dont want spoiled i guess https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/11/bloodborne-enemywent-undiscovered-until-2017/

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

CJacobs posted:

If Yharnam was already in the Nightmare from the start, you wouldn't have to be teleported to the Nightmare locales from outside them.

edit: Also, the laugh after the guy says you can think of it like a bad dream makes it pretty clear he knows better than to suggest that in earnest.

Just because they don't call Yharnam a nightmare explicitly doesn't mean it isn't a dream. Imo it's still dreamland's, which is why clouds can pass behind a moon etc

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah imo there's enough evidence that BB takes place entirely in the dreamlands, or in a reality so heavily influenced by the dream areas that the distinction is mostly meaningless. JSFs videos are long but good.

People like to point to Yharnam as being a conclusive reality but you get to it via the same menu that let's you access the nightmares. It's also apparently connected directly to Old Yharnam which experienced some kind of firey cataclysm event in the past but is still burning and has freshly crucified beast people everywhere

I can't prove that it means something, but I think all the arguments I've heard for how Old Yharnam isn't some kind of time pocket or altered reality are pretty weak

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I probably got this from a JSF video when I was drink but you can look down at various points in the nightmares and see other sections of the dream. I think before the dlc came out you could see the wrecked masts of the fishing village's ships. And I'm almost positive there's a point where you look down and can see yharnam, though I think it's the hunter nightmare yharnam.

At any rate it portrays dream cosmology as having some kind of verticality which is interesting when you consider all the warps in the hunters dream tell you to "awaken above ground". That menu phrasing is nuts. Awaken above ground. There is a lot to unpack there.

Switching gears and rambling incoherently:
I was thinking about JSFs theory about oedon being a manifestation of impurity created due to stagnation, like in a stream that stops flowing. Yharnam certainly looks like a place that is stagnating to a significant degree. There are iron caskets and boxes of bones loving everywhere. Gravestones breaking through cobblestone. I believe Yharnam is a dream and its residents are trapped. They have been trapped for so long that they are running out of places to put the bodies. They are burning bodies (impurities) like we burn beasts (impurities) in a futile effort to outpace the corruption before it dominates the ecosystem. But who are we, how do we get there? Idk

You pull Quicksilver out of your blood, which is mercury. Gehrman's dream probably exists because he killed Kos, which was a big ocean whale thing. Someone probably bet Miyazaki he couldn't make a Victorian horror Cthulu game about eating so much fish you get mercury poisoning and he was like gently caress you I'm callin' it Bloodborne

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

It's very clearly a typo if you read the rest of the paragraph. Grant yourself eyes

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Learn to be okay with losing blood echoes on boss attempts. Anything less than a levelup might as well be zero anyway so don't sweat it!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Scaling from worst to best is E - D - C - B - A - S

If a weapon has S scaling, it gets a big benefit from points in that stat.

For skill points, 10-25 in your preferred damage stat gives you big increases. 26-40 are smaller but still worthwhile.

General newbie recommendations for your first playthrough is often 25/25 (eventually 40/25) str/skl, 20 end, 40 vit. No bloodtinge and only 15-20 in arcane until you know what you're doing. This stat spread lets you use most of the weapons in the game so you can see what you like.

Alternatively you can just pump whatever because there's no reason your first character needs to be perfect.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yes it's by design but that doesn't shield it from criticism.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

The letters are just guideposts, each weapon is different on specifics.

They mean that of all the damage you can eek out of your weapon from scaling, about 2/3 will come from raising str or skl to 25 and 1/3 from 26-50.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

If one gets away, you can reload and come back for it any time. It will respawn until you kill it.

There are a couple guns you can use for damage but most are for stuns/parries or as an alternate pulling method. The damage guns will be obvious. And large.

We're nice because this game is so loving good but it's easy to bounce off of it, so we want to keep new players' morale up until it clicks :)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

The story in Bloodborne might grow on you. Don't worry too much about it. Just get out there and kill some beasts. It's what hunters do...

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yup. I don't know if they have a marking in the UI but if it looks like it's got serrations, it probably does. Beasts hate this one weird weapon technology

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

The church pick also has a dope moveset and looks cool. I love my church pick and want one IRL for home defense

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Is BotW on any streaming stuff? Getting physical media, especially of non-blockbusters, is a pain out here

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I didn't know about this comic. Maybe there will at least be lore insights?!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I don't recognize any sounds from that trailer, or anything visually. Is there anything recognizable from Souls games (I've only played 1)

e: wait that's not the noise the stake driver makes is it

e2: watched some youtubes and that's not it. but holy gently caress. that thing seems like a trick weapon right?!!?!?! god drat it

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 8, 2017

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Hey what's up it's me, the first dead, Nit

edit: Dark Souls 1's egg collecting minigame was a bit out of place but I definitely felt the satisfaction when the EGG IN!! text came up

I thought gating the last boss behind collecting every egg in the game was a little much

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Imhotep fuckin chill out and give him the game and everything is going to work out fine

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

No they are going to murder that ancient husk of a man. Poor friend's dad, thought of hard game and died

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I'm just busting your chops. I think as we get older, a lot of people (especially on this forum) lose the part of themselves that gets really angry about dying in video games. It gets weaker at least. If he's going to drive himself into a coronary because he can't land parry timing, I think he would have already had one when he got cut off in traffic or McDonald's gave him the wrong order

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Got ds3 today and would rather ask this of my fellow bloodborners. What's the cookie cutter "first time through and want to try out most weapons" build? And when do you pump which stats? Statting out a character is my least favorite part of these games and I'd like to have all the choices made for me. Started as a knight. Thanks loves~

PS no rally health and a much slower dodge are making this real tough to adjust!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Thanks folks, what are my stopping points for vig/vit/end? And what is the stopping point for experimenting with upgrading weapons (the bloodborne +6 equivalent)

Then I'll stop derailing :P

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

the best (as in is strong but also looks cool which is most important) weapon in ds3 is the butcher knife and it can be got very early.

Thanks for this, I picked it up and it's making a lot more sense to me than the straight sword

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah but you can wait until the last boss if you want. You can technically go there now but you'll be underleveled. Most people say you should go there around the time you head to the Nightmare of Mensis. I hope that's not a spoiler.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I haven't used this personally but it seems pretty good and I'm guessing it's by the same person

http://zkjellberg.github.io/bloodborne-cheat-sheet/

Wheelchair guy is a different model, different hat, different VA I think. The most compelling opinion to me is that he's a Lovecraft good that liked to gently caress with other God's or something like that. I read about it in the old thread but time steals everything away from us eventually

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Might've moved an npc quest or two forward but some of them are so pointlessly opaque that it's unreasonable to expect to do them all perfectly on your first playthrough. I don't think bosses ever get locked out.

Looked over that checklist and it doesn't contain the dlc but those areas aren't very labyrinthine. Most of it is basically a giant tunnel. It sounds boring but owns entirely and doesn't feel like a tunnel as youre playing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah they are spooky. There are methods to kill them but I think for your first playthrough it's more fun to be scared of them.

I will say. Time for sedative