Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

tweet my meat posted:

I'm looking forward to the Dark Souls baseball spinoff.

I would break everything in the house the first time I got swallowed by an alien spaceworm while batting with 2 outs in the 9th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Go to the little grotto behind the Hunter's Dream house, there's a stump where you give them any hats you have picked up in the world

This is a thing?!? loving :bloodborne:! I've beat this game 10x and have the plat and I'm still learning things.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Q-sixtysix posted:

I’m a level 70 baby arcane build, anyone able to help me with getting the Amygdalan arm and the HMS? On PSN as Ononbro

It's laying on the floor, fyi

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

I'll pile on the "keep at it" messages. Bought and traded/gave away the game twice without unlocking the first shortcut. Gave it another go after a PSN sale and now it's the only game I regularly go back to even after platting it. Keep at it hoonter!

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Frog Act posted:

Oh poo poo that’s awesome, I guess I just mixed up there being no pvp with it being basically like Sekiro. Do you need a PS+ for it to work?

There's PvP too!

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Imagine not wanting to play Bloodborne over and over again. For shame.

I get to fire up my PS4 about an hour a month now. I used that hour today to KO The One Reborn, cheese Micolash from the ledge with Black Sky Eye (cause gently caress him), and get the Living String and Blood Rock from Mensis with a 99 ARC character I started in 2017.

Bloodborne 4 lyfe

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Simply Simon posted:

Final part of my grand plan: buy the Wheel, but don't upgrade it; do Pthumeru 1 and get Hintertomb Chalice, then do both of those. Why? The final Layer of any Chalice type has a guaranteed messenger bath where they sell Uncanny and Lost versions of weapons. I don't remember if it's just the DLC ones but I'll find out.

IIRC the messengers only sell base game weapons

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Bluff Buster posted:

I believe they sell uncanny and lost weapons of DLC weapons so long as you found/bought the original weapon.

Hmmm, makes sense, I guess there would be no other way to get them. Good knowledge, time to look up Rakuyo builds!

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

I don't know what the correct answer to the estus/blood vial debate is, but I started with BB before moving on to the souls games and liked the vial system much better. Farming sucked early but being able to stack 20 vials from the start and get them off enemies along the way (+ rally) was highly valuable as a n00b to the series. I also wasn't really deflated taking damage early in exploring or running to a boss in BB. In souls I felt compelled to run back to the bonfire if I got hit by a random throwing knife and had to use one of my 3 flasks when just starting out.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Chalice Talk: I've been getting back into chalices and I've seen reference to remaking them without using materials.

Fextra Life posted:

Generally, you should convert materials that would normally be used for any chalices you have already made. For instance, lesser ritual bloods and tomb molds are worthless if you've already made the chalices that would require those sorts of materials.

Is there something I'm missing? I've seen similar statements in multiple spots about endlessly remaking chalices. Trying to remake Depth 5 FRCs absolutely requires more mats in my experience.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Sorry to interrupt the lore talk but gently caress LAURENCE in NG+++. I want to make a flaming beast claw guy now and you're being a giant dick about it.

That is all

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

ReverendDre posted:

Sorry to interrupt the lore talk but gently caress LAURENCE in NG+++. I want to make a flaming beast claw guy now and you're being a giant dick about it.

That is all

Laurence is dead, burn in hell for all eternity

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Having fun going back to my 99 arc character and running depth 5 chalices. Isz is real fun with bolt beastclaws/beasts embrace and a fire spear! Are there only like 4 bosses for Isz? I've run about 5 of them now and it's always been a combo of Undead Giant/Emissary/Brain sucker with Ebrietas on the final layer.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Chalices rule and have some expert level trolling built into them by FromSoft which I fully appreciate after who knows how many NG+ cycles.

One thing I can't figure out is what the overhead bells do in the dungeons. I feel like banging on them should trigger something devious but seems like nothing happens. Am I missing a Sekiro style difficulty change or something? Maybe online interaction? Or just another troll

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Spergatory posted:

The bells call everything within a certain number of rooms to that location. It can actually be pretty useful to ring a bell and just dispatch everything that comes in, or to use it to draw enemies out of an otherwise heavily fortified position to pick them off more easily.

Makes sense. Tough to notice if any effect if:

1. Everything is already dead
2. You're used to being ambushed by enemies you forgot to kill anyways

Ah Bloodborne....you magnificent beast

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Gort posted:

So, on my last playthrough I basically ignored the parry mechanic entirely in favour of two-handing a Kirkhammer onto everyone.

What's the best way to learn parrying? As far as I'm aware only certain attacks can be parried, and only certain enemies (usually humanoid ones) tend to have these attacks?

How are you meant to know what can be parried, basically.

Like others have said:

Big as a house? No parry
Not as big as a house? Usually parry

Also, best rule of thumb for when to shoot I've seen is (if you're an American Football fan) to shoot when the attack would become a legal forward pass and no longer a fumble (i.e., the attack motion finishes the windup and commits to going forward)

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

WoodrowSkillson posted:

so how do i join Da Bloodborne Boyz? do i just buy a new avatar and add it or is there a process

Same question, asking for a friend...

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

sigher posted:

NG+2, just finished off Micolash after several attempts, at this point A Call Beyond is just a one shot and Vitality is 60, so not maxed out but I'm getting up there... however, since the scaling goes up to 6 I'm going to dread this loving fight later on. There's no way to survive it at some point is there?

I beat Micolash legit the first time. Every time since then (at least 10) I’ve cheesed him with Beast Roar stunlocking in phase 1 and projectile fuckery (Black Sky Eye, throwing knives, molotovs, bow blade, whatever) from the ledge. gently caress him till the end of time.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

f#a# posted:

For those who are considering going to, like, NG+3, why not just roll a new character with the focus of your choice (cough ARC)? You'd also have more upgrade mats to play around with weapons!

I think I got to NG+2 like once over my five characters. I consider builds "complete" around SL125 honestly.

e: heh
https://twitter.com/HazelMonforton/status/1379847386835656705?s=19

I’m mostly dungeon diving at this point and sprinkling in campaign for a change of pace. I don’t have ps+ so no need to stay at the meta SL and my preferred char already has 99 arc. Chunks and Rocks are easy to come by (Rocks more than chunks!) so I’m never really more than a couple of chalices away from a new +10 weapon. I have 2 other chars that I sometimes jump on, one that’s pure BT and one that’s skill but the most fun for me is making GBS threads on enemies with hunter tools and going against the expert level trolling FromSoft designed in some of the Depth 5 FRCs. No need to reroll for that experience!

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

bows1 posted:

Is it possible to miss any weapons in NG DLC play through?

Bowblade maybe? I can’t think of another one tied to an NPC. I don’t know if bloodletter is as well. Everything else is lying on the ground or part of killing something.

Edit: Church pick needs a key.

ReverendDre fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 11, 2021

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

a primate posted:

Yea I know everyone here has done multiple runs but I don’t think I will, simply on the basis that I usually don’t play games multiple times in general. I do appreciate hearing people’s tips though, including how they approached the game.

If you have any guide suggestions, I’m all ears.

There’s a YouTuber that I followed on a few FromGames called Fighting Cowboy or something. Helped a lot on DS 1 & 3. I’m sure he’s got a bloodborne one as well. Fextralife was also helpful despite some glaring issues. I used guides pretty liberally whenever I got stuck in DS 1-3 and bloodborne. I did Sekiro blind. Both ways were very enjoyable so take your pick depending on how you like to play and your level of patience with exploration.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

loving up Brainsuckers from a distance is one of the biggest benefits of a 99 Arc character. Black sky eye out ranges their tracking.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Bust Rodd posted:

Chalices are for fighting your way through a mile of werewolves and berserker zombies to unlock a door... that only contains two lava spider bell maidens, and now that the doors are open, the spiders will bumrush you as soon as you spawn.

.....and the spiders have human heads with bad haircuts.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

much less underwhelming. Kos parasite is one of the few underpowered weapons in the game although it does have some niche uses like using the super AOE on crowds of jabronis in chalice dungeons. Beast claws with or without the rune are solid in general.

Beast claws are just plain fun! Give in and become the monster you’ve sworn to destroy throughout the hunt! It feels like Doom-level Rip&Tear time. I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned you don’t really understand how to play Bloodborne until you grasp the fact that you’re not trapped in an undying nightmare with a host of foul monsters, they’re trapped in it with YOU. I don’t think another play style exemplifies the spirit of that more than a Beast claw build.

Kos Parasite feels like a gimmick tacked on for, reasons? Kos needed a weapon/trophy for us to get and orphan needed something unique to drop. About 6 months ago on my 99 arc character I grabbed them and the broccoli head rune and took it to +10. I had to force myself to use it through a couple of chalice dungeons and always swapped them out for bosses. It just wasn’t fun and, regardless of how much damage it does, never really felt like the scourge of the beasts and cosmos. Using Kos Parasite is just dull. Orphan should have dropped his placenta doorknob sack that we could throw cosmic fetuses from.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

For me, the story became a diversion after however many play throughs. Chalices are all that are left and the expert level trolling some of them present (and still unique enemies/encounters) are the fun that’s left. Bloodborne is awesome and I’m glad I kept with it after bouncing off it initially.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Cash Monet posted:

Playing for the first time, some inquiries:

Am I good with Ludwig's sword for the whole game for a build favoring strength (I've mostly been leveling health and stamina so far)?
What guns are beast for parrying/staggering? I've been going with the shotgun, but is there a consensus for what gets the job done?

I'll hang up and listen.

Yes, Ludwig’s is very good and versatile and favors strength. It can absolutely carry you the whole game.

Either of the starter guns are good and will take you the whole way. I always preferred the shotty. There’s a couple frames difference in their firing but not enough to make a difference.

Good luck hoonter!

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

verbal enema posted:

gently caress
The
Spiders
In
This
Game

I HATE THEM

In one of the dungeons I found a gang of Patches spiders that jump down a hole in the ceiling in one room. It’s terrifying, then hilarious, then frustrating as gently caress.

Bloodborne is the best!

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Nuns with Guns posted:

You don't need the root chalices, those are just to generate dungeons for yourself. You can enter the hacked chalices the minute you get the first chalice from the Blood-starved Beast, just go to a headstone and type "cummmfpk" in as the chalice code.

Root chalices are where you type in the codes…..

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

What’s the consensus best versions of the Burial Blade, Church Pick and Rakuyo? Finishing up a Saif/Retiellersplatch (or whatever) skill run and want to start NG+ soon.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Thunder Bear posted:

Assuming physical damage, whatever version of a weapon that is radial, radial, triangle is the best version at least 90% of the time.

Thanks for the insight, the internet seems to agree! This is a pure skill build so 0 arcane investment.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

No Dignity posted:

I don't think Martyr is a formal job role

Orphan has the highest total compensation of any Yharnam profession.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Story driven by the moon presence takes place entirely at night, go figure

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

In 10+ playthroughs/NG cycles I recall 2 spots in Central Yharnam where a path is hidden behind a breakable object, 3 false chalice dungeon walls, and 1 spot in upper cathedral ward where there’s a breakey breakey pots hallway. I guess there’s other stuff to break but “surrounded by breakables” seems like a nitpickey complaint. To each his own, may the moon or a torch guide your path.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Wamsutta posted:

I found Amelia insanely easy the first time and I’m getting crushed now. First time I popped a beast pellet and fire paper and R1 spammed her into paste. This time I can’t even survive long enough to do 10% of her health so I’m scared to even waste a pellet (I don’t have any fire paper). I really think the cane was a mistake. When I switch to the saw spear things just feel better. Not sure I can force the cane to work for me. Also think not having leveled END at all yet is a problem. I barely have the stamina to attack Amelia after dodging. Lol I’m loving this playthrough up.

I’ve tried a couple runs with the cane and always switch off it for something else, never taken it all the way through. I hear it accelerates scaling and damage after +6 or +7. There’s plenty of fun skill weapons around if the cane isn’t your thing.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Wamsutta posted:

Lol that Gehrman is loving wrecking me today! I first tried him on my first playthrough. Just can’t get his parry timing today at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did I just get lucky that time?

Won fourth try and it was uuuuuugly lol. I’m glad it took four tries I got to actually appreciate what an awesome boss fight Gehrman is.

Moon Presence went down hard second attempt tho. Two endings down one to go. I think I’m going NG+ on this Skill character and doing Rakuyo/Church Pick.

Congrats player. A win is a win! Skill is really fun, last run I did was Beast Saif and Reiterpallasch. Probably had more pure enjoyment than with my 99 Arc char.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Xpost from ER sub:

——————-
Per Rock Paper Shotgun there are 238 bosses. I don’t think I even hit 50 in my play through unless they count non-respawning enemies (which I think they do, like the grafted scion in stormveil). What’s keeping you all on multiple playthroughs coming back? Even though this is clearly an epic and I enjoyed my 100+ hours, I don’t feel the draw to come back after becoming an Elden Lord like I do with Bloodborne. It feels exhausting instead of exhilarating.
—————-

Am I alone here? Feel like BB has 100+ new posts a day for a game from 2014 but ER struggles to get 50. Do you hoonters feel the same?

ReverendDre fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 23, 2022

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

sigher posted:

I'm not sure how server maintenance points towards a PS5 patch or PC port.

Nobody knows, and From just had to do a whole online revamp for all the DS games on pc so could be online infrastructure related. But IIRC Bloodborne has gotten exactly 0 updates since the DLC was released in November 2015 so this is more than a little peculiar.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Zullie is the eyes on the inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

War Wizard posted:

I tried summoning help for Laurence and the dude just one shot him with a bowblade. Felt kinda robbed.

Also what's a good way to get chunks? The game seems scared to give me a reliable source.

I did the chunk farm once in the video in the post below yours, it’s not worth it. I think there’s an entire weapon upgrade worth of chunks and a rock sitting on the ground in the DLC. Also the chalice dungeons have a lot.