Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

My parents sold me to the Faerie when I was 8 years old. More accurately, they sold my 'childhood' to them, and I guess I've fulfilled the terms of that contract because they let me leave a little while ago. I don't remember my parents very well, or what they got for selling me. I guess I hope it was worth it too them, because they'll never see me again. I came here to be sure of that. The Faerie didn't use me as a slave or in any strange rituals, they just...raised me and gave me an excellent education. The equal or superior, I'm told, of any Imperial university. Then they gave me this white lilac and sent me away. I'm not really sure what to with the rest of my life. I'm familiar with the histories of the Northern Reach, the Empire in all its various forms, even the ancient legends of the Faerie. I can draw up maps and boundaries, explain why land shapes the people who live in it, describe the nature of communities or opine on any natural phenomena. Of course, none of these skills are especially valuable here in Ravensfield. I get some work as a scribe, or translator on the very rare occasion someone has a document written in Elvish. It's quiet. Boring, really.

quote:

Name: Beatrice
Ancestry: Human
Height and Weight: Average
Appearance: Average
I was held prisoner by the Faerie for 9 years
I help others because it's the right thing to do
Religion: I belong to the cult of the New God
Interesting Thing: A flower that never withers.
Personality Traits: Honest but Vulgar
Complication: Cursed!

Level: 0
Primary Attributes: Strength 10, Agility 10, Intellect 11, Will 10
Derived Attributes: Perception 11, Defense 10, Health 10, Healing Rate 2, Size 1, Speed 10, Power 0
Damage 0, Insanity 0, Corruption 0
Languages: Common, Elvish (Read and Write)
Professions: Academic (History, Geography)
Wealth: Getting By
Equipment: dagger, a staff or club or sling with 20 stones, basic clothing, a backpack, a week of rations, a waterskin, a tinderbox, 1d3 torches, and a pouch containing 6 cp.

Human Background: 1d20 7
Human Background: 1d20 9
Human Background: 5#3d6 13 13 6 11 11
Starting Wealth: 3d6 11: Getting By
Interesting Thing: 1d6 1
Interesting Thing: 1d20 6
Personality Traits: 2#1d20 13 20
Professions: 2#1d6 1 1
Professions: 2#1d20 8 6
Starting Money: 1d6 6

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hey MMAgCh, what is Beatrice cursed not to do?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Sounds good! A fit for a slightly aloof academic.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Checking in! Beatrice can use green as her map colour.

Currently Beatrice shares a 3 room cottage with the junior of the two local priests of the New God - the cottage is across the market place from the church, and the kitchen area doubles as her workspace when she has a client. As the game opens she is in the church archive doing genealogical research for a local lawyer hoping to determine which of two farming families has the better claim to a disputed patch of land.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 23, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Treffies posted:

If Beatrice lives with priests and works in the church, it is very likely she and Ash are acquainted in some fashion.

That seems pretty likely, even if it's only as a fellow member of the congregation. I don't get the impression that the church of the New God has the kind of social power that, say, the Catholic Church enjoyed in its heyday, but in a town of 1000 people it would still be a central part of the community.

Are there any other temples or sacred sites? I know that Ailean is apprenticed to a Druid - does the druid have standing stones or somewhere to perform rites?

Actually, as fauns are fey creatures Ailean is probably one of the few people in the town Beatrice can actually be friendly with, but they probably move in different circles.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

No worries, looking forward to it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Sorry! I have been having a crazy month, and forgot to tell you I was busy. Still in if you don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i gotta say, get magically electrocuted because you stabbed a golem in the gland is a pretty novel way to unlock magic talent.

• Locked thread