Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

PaybackJack posted:

I think it's great, though I would have preferred a trio of Deluxe boxes, one a month instead as: a) I don't, for a second, believe that FFG can actually ship a new pack a week, and b) it allows for a meta to be established, played in, then shift and as such you can build a tournament more easily around knowing what product will be available.

Either way, despite having shipping issues to get everything to me. I'm glad that we'll see a deeper card pool faster. The core set feel extremely shallow to me

I believe they can ship six packs at once and have them arrive approximately often enough to make their street dates (since they have street dates now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really like like the Kolat, but my favorite thing about the is that their philosophy was demonstrably wrong. The Celestial Order is a literal thing, not that they didn't kill gods on the regular. Kolat would have been better if there wasn't also Scorpion, Shadow Guys, and Shadowlands corruption all also secretly manipulating everything.

Akodo Kage was rad as hell though. So honorable he was allowed to keep the Akodo name after the Coup.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Good luck with that. They had the backing of the commoners and were one of the most powerful military forces in Rokugan at the time. Challenging the Spider would have been a great way to overthrow the entire Empire. And the clan as a whole renounced the ways of Jigoku in order to get great clan status also, so much so that the Chuda hosed right out.

Except they let the Chuda straight back in there 20 years later. You're kinda making my point though in one way, that the storyline was insane. That a group of people no one had ever heard of 20 years before was suddenly so vast and powerful it could overthrow the whole Empire. That's just dumb.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

6 pack in 6 weeks confirmed:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/11/the-imperial-cycle/

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
This release schedule is bonkers. It definitely addresses the concerns about single core+1 pack metas though.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really like like the Kolat, but my favorite thing about the is that their philosophy was demonstrably wrong. The Celestial Order is a literal thing, not that they didn't kill gods on the regular. Kolat would have been better if there wasn't also Scorpion, Shadow Guys, and Shadowlands corruption all also secretly manipulating everything.

Akodo Kage was rad as hell though. So honorable he was allowed to keep the Akodo name after the Coup.

It was only a literal thing in the same sense that any system of government is a literal thing. It just happened to have been thought up by the Kami rather than a mortal ruler. The Kolat weren’t saying that it didn’t exist, just that it was a crap system that needed to be done away with.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Fine with the release schedule provided they stick to it being a one time thing, it'll keep the meta from being relatively stagnant for 6 months

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It occurs to me that the release schedule would have everything out by Christmas which means players could take advantage of black friday sales to grab some of the packs, put them on Christmas wish lists, or even purchase with any holiday gift certificates they get. So while people will balk at the $90 price tag, it comes at a time when there will be discounts on that, and others could purchase the items for you. Since everything hits post World's there won't be any major tournaments for a while, and most local scenes probably won't be running major events during the holiday season because it's such a crazy time for most.

Some of those cards are crazy good.

The Dragon Attachment, the Unicorn event, and the Crane event immediately jump out at me as being super strong.

The Unicorn event has fantastic synergy with the Crab attachment as well, so Unicorn better choose Seeker. I think it's a shame that they divided the roles into Offensive/Defensive though. Seeker already seemed weaker to me because you have a lot more options with 3 more influence, and I think people's natural disposition is to play offensively.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 11, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ratlings kick rear end, make them a thing in the game please, FFG. If only the RPG. Also, Naga. And all the gaijin :getin:

Bakeneko posted:

It was only a literal thing in the same sense that any system of government is a literal thing. It just happened to have been thought up by the Kami rather than a mortal ruler. The Kolat weren’t saying that it didn’t exist, just that it was a crap system that needed to be done away with.

I thought actually bringing it down would physically destroy Rokugan and that the sensible way to change things was for everyone to be more like the Mantis?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Aramoro posted:

Except they let the Chuda straight back in there 20 years later. You're kinda making my point though in one way, that the storyline was insane. That a group of people no one had ever heard of 20 years before was suddenly so vast and powerful it could overthrow the whole Empire. That's just dumb.

Except again, they had the backing of the peasants and commoners. That's part of the entire lore behind Rokugan! Life is not great in Rokugan for these people, the great clans generally poo poo all over them!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

alansmithee posted:

It's fine if they're basically just a bunch of raiders who poke into rokugan or w/e that get repelled. I think the issue (at least from a story perspective) was that every time there was an incursion, it was basically THE END TIMES ARE NIGH.

It seems you and I think alike on this issue. I'm with Payback Jack that we can't have the world of intrigue and culture-driven conflict we are promised in the same world that LITERALLY HELL is trying to kill everyone twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Oh, Kakita Akita spread a rumor that your ancestor was a coward. Great, the ARMIES OF LITERAL HELL are trying to kill everyone. While you were called to war your sweetheart married your dojo rival. He is an honorable man but you never got along and you cannot help your feelings and by the way LITERAL HELL is trying to kill everyone. It's just goofy!

Warning: I am going into ~*my canon*~ here so you may want to scroll on.

It is far better for serious Shadowlands armies to be tremendous but very rare events, like there was the war at the dawn of time, there was the war when The Wall was built, and there was like one other one, or two, in history before the one that comes at the Day of Thunder. It suits the setting better if the Crab's purpose is as much the repelling of gaijin as the odd walking corpse or ogre. In ~*my canon*~ the Shadowlands are generally quiet. The Wall did not exist until the Unicorn returned, because their return, particularly the arrogance of the Moto going off-route despite their cousins warning them of The Pit, is what stirred up the Maw. We achieve several things by painting events this way.

One, the Crab are now a bit overblown when they talk about the Shadowlands to the other Clans. This is good for previously mentioned reasons of letting normal human events have any relative importance, and not making the other Clans out to be just unbearably stupid. Two, you avoid "the Matsu problem" where it is utterly implausible that the Crab endure ultra-violent forever war with LITERALLY HELL. Three, by seriously down-playing the concentration of force and threat in the Shadowlands, you actually open up supernatural threats in the rest of the setting. An ogre eating Lion peasants is no longer an infiltrator that somehow passed the Wall. An oni desiccating the Crane's seaweed beds is no longer necessarily a lieutenant in an evil army. Ghosts and ghouls of all sorts are no longer things only the Crab know anything about! Their presence anywhere else is just the way the world works. This will make your Rokugan much closer to actual Japanese / Chinese folklore and a much richer, more interesting place than the Rokugan where the monsters are 95% penned up in Official Monster Country. I maintain that the Shadowlands are spooky, wicked, and dangerous, and the Crab lands are a haunted place with higher incidences of weird poo poo than anywhere else (Rokugani Transylvania), but there is no sharp "monsters here, wall there, carefree society past that" divide.

Four, a Crab tasked with keeping out gaijin reinforces the culture of xenophobia that is a hallmark of the setting. It bluntly aligns "foreign devils" with "literal devils." Five, we create a reason for tension with the Unicorn. Now that the devastation of the Maw war is directly linked to their coming, and the Crab's mission statement is anti-gaijin, the Clans have reason to snipe at each other. More tension makes more stories, and makes the Crab more fun and flawed than the old-canon Crab who totally fuckin' ignored the Unicorn's coming clowning on the Wall and were buddy-buddy with them despite the Dark Moto because, well, they always needed help with the unending war with LITERAL HELL. Six, Crab that are not in a 24/7 forever war are now at greater liberty to engage in the conflicts of normal human society. They can, say, send an army to seize the entire shore of Earthquake Fish Bay - maybe gaijin will make noise on the border like ancient Germans when the Romans took legions off the Rhine, but it's not a permanent nuclear threat to the land and the citizenry's immortal souls, you know?

~*my canon*~ ended.

I don't read the short stories because they're bad, but I did notice the quotation from the one with Shoju saying "you aren't suggesting I could be Emperor, are you?" to some clown. Are they totally loving with us or is the Coup gonna happen again? I think it's gonna happen again.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PaybackJack posted:

It occurs to me that the release schedule would have everything out by Christmas which means players could take advantage of black friday sales to grab some of the packs, put them on Christmas wish lists, or even purchase with any holiday gift certificates they get. So while people will balk at the $90 price tag, it comes at a time when there will be discounts on that, and others could purchase the items for you. Since everything hits post World's there won't be any major tournaments for a while, and most local scenes probably won't be running major events during the holiday season because it's such a crazy time for most.

Are FFG packs generally like the Doomtown Reloaded ones, where each one yields a full playset?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Yes, they're full playsets.

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't read the short stories because they're bad, but I did notice the quotation from the one with Shoju saying "you aren't suggesting I could be Emperor, are you?" to some clown. Are they totally loving with us or is the Coup gonna happen again? I think it's gonna happen again.

They're hinting at it, but I don't think we'll find out what's actually going down until Winter Court.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 11, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Are FFG packs generally like the Doomtown Reloaded ones, where each one yields a full playset?

Yes, the Netrunner packs where all playsets of every card.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Aramoro posted:

Yes, the Netrunner packs where all playsets of every card.

Well that is something at least. This is going to make my fencesitting friends even more skeptical though, that's a big initial purchase

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm pretty sure all the big beats from the original timeline are going to happen again, just arranged differently and edited to make more sense, with much of the dumber stuff jettisoned and new elements added as well. It strikes me as similar to the situation with Star Wars canon, I always knew they were going to bring back all the EU stuff that was actually good and had relative mainstream popularity, not just get rid of everything like the old heads feared. They bought this franchise to use more than just the skeleton.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 11, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really like that for most of history people poo poo all over the Crab because they did their job correctly, so no one really believed the Shadowlands was more than a few pathetic Goblins.

Hida Kisada betraying the Empire to the Shadowlands in a bid to conquer the world was ultimately a bizarre introduction to them. Luckily doing that and crucifying your son on a Battle Standard only leads to a slap on the wrist! He even became a God later!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Well that is something at least. This is going to make my fencesitting friends even more skeptical though, that's a big initial purchase

Yeah its basically a £210 buy in right at the start.

Its fine for the ultra spergs like me but it sounds really discouraging to new players.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

People keep using this phrase talking about the new packs. They won't all be released until around Christmas time. Realistically they won't be available for three months. Wait on the first couple packs, then order them all cheap on Black Friday. Or wait until after the New Year and order them in post-Christmas sales. Or wait and see what's in each pack then just pick and choose.

You don't even need to buy them all unless you're planning on attending tournaments regularly of which there probably won't be many; as of now the only Koteis are in @ PAX in Philly, and the other one is in Spain. The PAX tournament would only have 1 pack potentially available to play in it.

This is not an additional cost to play the game and if you play a single clan you're getting 12 new cards across all the packs just for your clan. You can easily pick and choose because I guarantee you won't use them all(because there are Seeker/Keeper cards :P).

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah but its negating one of the strongest benefits of an LCG over a CCG, namely, affordable card ability.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah but its negating one of the strongest benefits of an LCG over a CCG, namely, affordable card ability.

Have you seen the price of Magic???

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Ratlings kick rear end, make them a thing in the game please, FFG. If only the RPG. Also, Naga. And all the gaijin :getin:

I thought actually bringing it down would physically destroy Rokugan and that the sensible way to change things was for everyone to be more like the Mantis?

The specifics tended to vary depending on which writer was writing a given piece of fiction. Consistency in the lore was never AEG’s strong suit. However a lot of evidence seemed to point to the fact that some of the things samurai believed about the Celestial Order were wrong. After all, humans and other species existed and had developed their own cultures before the Kami fell and introduced it to the region they happened to land in, and several foreign civilizations were confirmed to exist alongside their own gods even into the present day.

I guess this might just be me getting into my own fanon, which was rather extensive at the time (I also theorized that the Nothing was actually a kind of demiurge, not the true creator of the universe, but that’s another story) but I think that the Order would have applied to the whole world and to nonhumans if it truly were the equivalent of a fundamental law of physics, rather than just a government that a group of celestial beings created to manage the humans they had decided to rule.

And yeah I'd love to see the rats and the others in the new RPG. Fingers crossed.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It's not changing the price though. It's just accelerating the time frame of when you'd want to purchase it. Realistically, it's adding an extra $30 a month fr two months which really shouldn't be stretching the wallet for people who are in this hobby. If you're in the game competitively that's practically nothing if you're actually having to travel to tournaments and book hotel rooms.

Lightning Lord posted:

Have you seen the price of Magic???

Or Destiny, or the Final Fantasy CCG.

And the majority of the players bitching aren't even the hardcore tournament players. I'd wager most of these knobs on Facebook can barely maintain a weekly commitment to play at their local store and are just sore about not being able to have a full collection at arm's length. As a friend commented it's Pokemon syndrome: gotta catch 'em all even if you don't use most of them.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 11, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bakeneko posted:

The specifics tended to vary depending on which writer was writing a given piece of fiction. Consistency in the lore was never AEG’s strong suit. However a lot of evidence seemed to point to the fact that some of the things samurai believed about the Celestial Order were wrong. After all, humans and other species existed and had developed their own cultures before the Kami fell and introduced it to the region they happened to land in, and several foreign civilizations were confirmed to exist alongside their own gods even into the present day.

I guess this might just be me getting into my own fanon, which was rather extensive at the time (I also theorized that the Nothing was actually a kind of demiurge, not the true creator of the universe, but that’s another story) but I think that the Order would have applied to the whole world and to nonhumans if it truly were the equivalent of a fundamental law of physics, rather than just a government that a group of celestial beings created to manage the humans they had decided to rule.

And yeah I'd love to see the rats and the others in the new RPG. Fingers crossed.

That is an interesting idea. Though now I'm curious; the idea that the Celestial Order wasn't really a big deal and all that fits, but the stuff involving the Sun and Moon seems, well, didn't the sun actually go out after Amaterasu killed herself? Were she and Onnotangu the whole world's sun and moon, with less-important children who decided to rule a country, or were even those two just important in Rokugan and not elsewhere? (Like some sort of... Localized sun and moon? I don't know.) I feel like I remember reading about the effects, or lack thereof, of all that in other parts of the world before, but it was at least a year or two ago so I can't remember it at all.

And yes, rats and stuff are good for the RPG. Less so for the LCG, at least as their own faction, because they don't really fit into the dynamic there, as other people pointed out, but things like them and the minor clans were really neat in the RPG. I hope we see more on that front sometime soon.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If they don't do it officially, there will definitely be a ton of people doing conversions from 4e/whatever to the FFG RPG. When Edge of the Empire came out it only took a month or two to be able to find practically any obscure thing you wanted from decades of games, and I expect the L5R fanbase to be similarly obsessive.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

That is an interesting idea. Though now I'm curious; the idea that the Celestial Order wasn't really a big deal and all that fits, but the stuff involving the Sun and Moon seems, well, didn't the sun actually go out after Amaterasu killed herself? Were she and Onnotangu the whole world's sun and moon, with less-important children who decided to rule a country, or were even those two just important in Rokugan and not elsewhere? (Like some sort of... Localized sun and moon? I don't know.) I feel like I remember reading about the effects, or lack thereof, of all that in other parts of the world before, but it was at least a year or two ago so I can't remember it at all.

And yes, rats and stuff are good for the RPG. Less so for the LCG, at least as their own faction, because they don't really fit into the dynamic there, as other people pointed out, but things like them and the minor clans were really neat in the RPG. I hope we see more on that front sometime soon.

The thing with the sun and the moon was possibly one of those inconsistencies I mentioned. If I had to come up with an explanation, I’d say that certain aspects of Rokugani theology had a basis in truth, like the sun and moon being tied to their respective gods in some fashion, but that we weren't being told the whole story.

I do know that the Burning Sands story includes its own explanation for what happened, which includes the fact that their sun and moon gods Shilah and Kaleel do exist and are separate from their Rokugani counterparts. And this is the version known to the Ashalan, who ought to know because they’re immortal and almost as old as said gods. It’s very confusing.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 11, 2017

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I played 2 games with 3 cores. I was crab with phoenix and my buddy was scorpion. We missed triggers and abilities and poo poo almost constantly. There is a ridiculous amount of stuff to track at any given time. It was fun but crab owns. I wanna try crane next.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

In the old edition, Rokugan was explicitly tied to the gods. Before the gods existed and the kami of elements filled the land, it was a relatively barren land with little natural resources. When the Kami that founded the great clans landed face first in the land, they ended up changing the nature of the land itself, as their godly energy 'empowered' the land and made it more alive more full of... everything. This just got more extreme as more of the elemental kami filled the land and worship grew.

It's said at least by the main religions in the old edition that if the celestial order was thrown off and removed, the land would return to being a barren land without magic or life, at least in the amounts it has now. And then more extreme takes on it says that worship literally holds the heavens over Rokugan, and without worship the heavens would literally crash into the land and sink it all as it kills everything.

The kolat as presented believed this was all propaganda by the kami, to basically keep people from ever questioning the idea of getting rid of them. Everyone else thought they were insane and trying to destroy the whole land.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aramoro posted:

Shoju did nothing wrong!

Sure he did, he begged Kisada for help.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was the VERY HONORABLE crane clan back then, like a true weeb. How’s crane clan nowadays? Is Dragon still top dog?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dragon, Crane, Scorpion and Lion seem like the best clans at this point.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
When I played during Clan War=>Hidden Emperor=>4 Winds I was a Crane weeaboo wallowing around with HONOR. Also the bad Fox Stronghold that said you could hire any other minor clan family except Yoritomo because gently caress those guys. And then a story choice happened that made Fox stay with the Mantis instead of joining the Crane or something :smith:

Now I'm pretty sure I'd end up playing Crab or Phoenix. This "all packs out in six weeks" thing is interesting because I was kind of explicitly waiting for the first cycle to finish before I'd think about getting into the game again.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Chill la Chill posted:

I was the VERY HONORABLE crane clan back then, like a true weeb. How’s crane clan nowadays? Is Dragon still top dog?

carne go home

crab number 1.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still a fan of the Unicorn, I've loved them since reading their Way of during the 1E days.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Anyone complaining about the price of this game is loving delusional.

Where did the story with the old CCG end up? Did they do a special finale event or was it just kinda over?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

When I played during Clan War=>Hidden Emperor=>4 Winds I was a Crane weeaboo wallowing around with HONOR. Also the bad Fox Stronghold that said you could hire any other minor clan family except Yoritomo because gently caress those guys. And then a story choice happened that made Fox stay with the Mantis instead of joining the Crane or something :smith:

Now I'm pretty sure I'd end up playing Crab or Phoenix. This "all packs out in six weeks" thing is interesting because I was kind of explicitly waiting for the first cycle to finish before I'd think about getting into the game again.

Actually the fox stronghold was super-broken and one of the most powerful decks for a long time. Probably second only to the finding the harmonies decks running around at the time.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

alansmithee posted:

Actually the fox stronghold was super-broken and one of the most powerful decks for a long time. Probably second only to the finding the harmonies decks running around at the time.

I was apparently dumb enough to never break it then! I was young and not a good player. How'd it work?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was apparently dumb enough to never break it then! I was young and not a good player. How'd it work?

It's nothing super-fancy, really not much different from the toturi's army decks that were also running around. Was basically a corrupt super-rush deck. You played a bunch of low-cost shugenja (remember, yours are super-cheap due to the box), the zero cost onis, corrupted holdings, merchant caravan, etc. Everything you played out was essentially free or boxable so you're playing out everything every turn.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

It was called FORD, Fox, Oni and Ratling. Basically it broke one of the fundamental rules and reduced costs to 0 so the Ratling Guy who could pay for other Ratlings cost 1 or 0 when you got the event that made them in clan. Along with Akuma and Turso No Oni and your free fox shujengas you could blast out a huge amount of force very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

SuperKlaus posted:

Warning: I am going into ~*my canon*~ here so you may want to scroll on.

Hey for what it's worth I read all this and like it, as I've also always had issues with Actual Satan being at the gates for literal centuries while everyone else somehow just doesn't ever worry about this. It also adds rather interesting conflict to the Yasuki, who are very much not supposed to be dealing with the gaijin who they are charged with literally keeping out, but gosh that would be worth a lot of money, wouldn't it? And then the Tortoise step in. In fact, maybe that's how it plays out - the Yasuki are of course openly mercantile, and probably use this to try and eliminate any kind of public gaijin goods market, and go back and forth between waging bizarre economic shadow wars with the Tortoise (who's main thing is trading with gaijin), and allying with the Tortoise when those foreigners start to get unfriendly and now it's go time.