Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was the VERY HONORABLE crane clan back then, like a true weeb. How’s crane clan nowadays? Is Dragon still top dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You can definitely buy into LCGs with the assumption that they are "complete" games with optional expansions much like you do with any other board game that involves cards like Dominion. My LGS will have a competitive scene because the people who frequent it were hardcore L5R fans back in the day. But, there's plenty of people who came into the release event who are going to treat it like star wars: empire vs. rebellion or any other 2P card game. Personally, I'll just play with the cards my hardcore friends bought and if i like the design of it as it continues, I'll buy in.

quote:

To further this, largely thanks to Kickstarter, but also due to things like the Dice Tower/Sit Down Shut Up/etc. The hype train on these games goes out of control and players that don't even particularly like what they're buying are doing so in order to keep up with the Joneses. Thus FFG, and L5R, can profit from that as well.

It's still funny to me that the hype train for destiny was less than a year ago and now there's L5R to replace it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PaybackJack posted:

I occasionally watch Team Covenant vlogs and there was one where they have a viewer question: "Is Destiny dead?" and the host gave this ponderous sigh and thought for a moment before answering "...no..."

Once that hype train slows down, people act like the game is dead. Same thing happened with Star Wars LCG; as far as a lot of players are concerned that game is dead because nobody they know plays it.
My community has been on a destiny downswing because of design choices made in the second set, but it's gotten some favorable upticks with the recent one. The bolded part is the downside for the hyped marketing surrounding board games nowadays. Or it's like what you said and people really didn't want to play it competitively. The release events for Destiny are still large and packed here, but you wouldn't guess it when there's maybe 1-2 stores who hold weekly events with maybe 6 people in each one.

It's probably easier to keep up the hype for L5R because of the storyline events. FFG does have their quarterly kits, but the lead time on those seems to be long so I wonder if they can really integrate that well enough with the large Kotei events for anyone but the hypercompetitive to really give a poo poo about them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope FFG makes a new L5R RPG with designs taken and refined from the star wars RPG. I'd really like to see L5R with a more modern set of rules. I played the old one and it had all the usual crap from the 3.5 rules system.

alansmithee posted:

There was literally a giant tournament ran with 1 core only. It's a legal format. It's no different from Magic having different card limits for sealed vs. constructed events.

It's a legal format to sell things at an event with limited stock, sure. They did the same thing with early Armada but I sure as hell don't see 200 point armada tournaments nowadays.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The 5th Edition beta is definitely heavily informed by it, yes. Available free right now!

Also lol if you played the d20 version

Oriental adventures was my first RPG book and it was all because I was tricked by lovely RPG grognards that it was a "good system." :mad: loving grognards, man, tricking kids into playing their lovely games. (that's how I also got into 40k :mad: )

Lightning Lord posted:

Did you play "Legend of the Five Rings" as produced by AEG or did you play a D&D 3.5 game using the Oriental Adventures rulebook set in Rokugan? I'm not going to say L5R was the most tightly designed RPG, even if I still like 4E, but it's pretty different from D&D.
I didn't find out about the actual L5R ruleset until later and by then it was too late. I was in the glory days of 4e and finding out good games like dogs in the vineyard or burning wheel by then.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

Honestly, it seems the people who are complaining the most are expecting a full card game experience (with all the customization and options that typically entails) for a medium-priced board game price ($40 is hardly at the high end for board games outside of discounts). And that's not realistic.

Well technically I could do just that with millennium blades

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Aramoro posted:

Yup, they're busy refusing the gifts and shes busy asking them to accept them. That's why you need a chump to go with you to refuse/accept the gifts on his behalf.

Yeah I like the new L5R a lot more because it comes off as a worker placement game where you want extreme action economy compared to before where it was dudes killing stuff. It results in funny scenarios like this because worker placement is funny like that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Attachments are also less of a 2-for-1 than in other games. Removal in this game isn't like the old game with how frequently things get killed. It's usually a tempo play in a worker placement style of tableau. The card disadvantage isn't also as clear if they do get killed because number of cards drawn is a player choice and is much greater than in MTG. So the costs, including opportunity costs, are really cheap and their effects are much greater.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I don't know, having a person blessed with the ability to command the very fabric of creation balanced with guy who does sword good seems wrong.

I like a well balanced game, but tabletop RPGs can allow for differences in power. Don't like shugenja? Cool, don't allow PC Shugenja.

It is also very easy to forget that Shugenja are supposed to be very dedicated pacifists.

Is this seriously an argument for exponential wizards and linear fighters? Those sword guys are so good with their swords they also warp the fabric of reality with their animu powers

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lord_Hambrose posted:

If I want to play a balanced game where combat is a well oiled board game that all can delight in perfectly equally I would play D&D 4th. Unironically, it is a great game for delivering that experience.

You should try out Gloomhaven because it's now the ultimate D&D dungeon crawling experience. 4e didn't go far enough, and 5e is :lol:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think Dread would be a good system to use for an intrigue and story-focused L5R campaign. It’s perfect for iajutsu, dueling, and serious political blunders that would have you laughed out of court or commit sodoku. But the RPG system given isn’t that. It’s a crunchy D&D game so we need to treat it as such.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

KittyEmpress posted:

One of the biggest things I don't understand from this forum is this obsession with being different from every One else of their school. In Rings, in skills, in attitude. It doesn't matter if every Akodo looks the same stats and skills wise, because you are going to be the only Akodo in your game. The obsession with always being the most unique [Clan] [Family] [School] Samurai who flouts tradition is weird to me, especially people's obsessions with wanting to play the exact opposite of a normal samurai. I never see Dragons who want to learn medicine and be the best doctors to heal their people, it's always Super Honorable Scorpions, or pretty crabs, or kind lions. This system encourages people to make characters that fit their clans, and also provides people who really want to be the outcaste weirdo Lion to actually have mechanics showing why they are an outcaste weirdo.

I always keep this sweet post from I think an old grognards.txt thread just for this occasion:

quote:

I get the impression that Exterminatus was originally supposed to be a super-rarity on the level of "there's only one bunker that holds the warheads and we have no idea how they even work or how to make any more, any use must be signed off in triplicate in the Emperor's blood by a whole loving bunch of Inquisition Lords" but every dumb Black Library writer wanted a piece of the pie and now they get fired off like fireworks on New Years Eve.

This is the real answer right here. There's a dumb TVTropes term for this, I can't remember what it is, but basically there's a tendency for a bunch of people working on a thing in collaboration to all start ramping up and/or exaggerating certain aspects of the fiction to the point that they go completely over the top and become stupid(er). I remember when Keith Baker made Eberron the D&D setting one of the things he wanted to do was emphasize that Alignment, which he was contractually obligated to include in the setting since it was D&D and all (I mean that literally, WotC wouldn't let him jettison it), wasn't the be-all and end-all of a character's attitudes or actions, so he had one of the higher ups in the Church of the Silver Flame which was generally a good organization be Lawful Evil, a kernel of friction and ambiguity. This wasn't meant to be some JRPG "the church is secretly evil and you have to kill god" thing, just an example that even organizations largely devoted to good works could have "bad" people working for them, and there were ostensibly "good" characters who had some pretty unpleasant goals.

Except a bunch of other writers saw this and went "oh neat, that's a cool idea" and they ran with it by writing their own Evil characters into the Church, and then other writers did the same, and suddenly something that was supposed to be a rarity was now common to the point that the overwhelming impression one might get is that the Silver Flame is secretly an evil conspiracy of evil assholes under a thin veneer of good instead of what it was supposed to be, because everybody jumped on the bandwagon of something that was supposed to be a rarity but then wound up becoming super common and nobody exercised restraint.

Another example is how according to Marvel editorial, every burgeoning writer who wants to work on The Punisher always submits the same story pitch at least once in their lives, "what if Frank Castle...killed an innocent person by mistake???"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Honestly the test of a true DM is to make the paladin samurai fall from grace and lose their godly powers, since that was obviously the point of Sir Lancelot healing The wounds of Sir Urre.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I feel like people cosplaying as their faction should be mandatory for worlds.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PaybackJack posted:

I feel like the cosplaying aspect is one of the more cringeworthy aspects of the L5R community. I'm not even going to take a stand on cultural appropriation or anything like that; but the Japan fetishism that goes on in this game is made a million times worse by these types of fans.

Well yeah. I find it hilarious and the games are pretty drat Japan fetishism anyway. Might as well go whole hog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Intentionally going to worlds with a different clan than the one you usually play just to sabotage them would be pretty sweet too. It’d be a self-correcting mechanism if one clan gets too powerful and is an easy trope-worthy story update.