Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Of course after I say that I see that Kempy Nezumi moron is firmly prominent in the pro-chant side, so I guess it's back to the middle for me.

Are we supposed to know who "Kempy Nezumi" is? I love how years after they canned it, there lingers a incestuous community of weirdos who all hate each other and bicker about absolutely nothing.

I played L5R for a while. I remember a few people were really weird about it. More than one person wore a kimono to every tournament. I remember the chanting thing, and I thought it was just my local weirdos being loving weird and uncomfortable. Turns out it's actually a mandated tournament thing? Jesus. Can we just play our little card game without yelling, like adults?

L5R was a cool little cardgame that was a magnet for obsessive weirdos for some god drat reason. The obsessive strangeness of the community was a large part of why I stopped playing it. The community organizer pestered me for literally years after I quit to come to tournaments, because it would give him online samuraipoints or whatever if more people showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Scorpion being pragmatic ends-justify-the-means types that are better samurai than samurai because they aren't as beholden to a choking set of impractical and ultimately arbitrary rules owns.

Of course, this allowed for some interesting plot points about some Scorpion really being self-serving amoral pricks, which caused incompetent nerd-lore writers to flanderize them into cackling anime villains at lightning speed.

L5R's lore follows a trajectory very typical for nerd-game fictional universes. It is built on interesting themes and concepts, and ultimately collapses into a pile of wank under the weight of years of bad writing. See also: Warhammer 40k.

All the clans' archetypes are interesting double-edged swords with a lot of potential for good storyteling and conflict, but each clan was gradually flanderized into a one-dimensional caricature. Crab is another good example of this, and gradually stopped being rugged, no-nonsense warriors forced into self-reliance and became BIG MUSCLE MAN NO UNDERSTAND CRANE SMART-TALK, ANGRY NOW

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 8, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Games where one player was Shadowlands and the other was any deck that won via honor were so weird. I feel like proving you are more honorable and polite than a bunch of hellspawn who crawled out of some kind of black ooze is a pretty low bar.

There was also the problem if Shadowlands just not giving a poo poo about dishonor decks, which was an entire major deck archetype. A major archetype of deck literally autolosing against a faction was pretty awful game design.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dismissing price concerns by pointing out that Magic is about on par with a cocaine habit in terms of expense is pretty dumb. The appeal of a LCG is supposed to be that it offers the experience of a traditional CCG at a lower price point by doing away with the gambling of boosters.

The price point right now is such that current CCG won't be dissuaded, but it is also so expensive it dissuades a lot of people outside CCGs from getting involved - Which seems to me to be the main demographic targeted by LCGs.