Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Aramoro posted:

Again I'm not talking about the players who can or already have dropped 100 for thier cores. Im talking about the people wondering if its the game for them. L5R does not have enough players to sustain itself so it must attract new ones im not sure this strategy does that.

Yeah. This is me currently. I played lot of other ccg:s in the 90:s and early 00's. L5R sounds intriguing, but these little things make it harder to sell to myself and my friends. I'm not interested in a new card hobby. I'm more interested about it as a new boardgame to be played occasionally with a common pool of ready decks.

1. 1 starter isn't enough to play real game
Too many factions make it so that there isn't enough cards for 2 legal decks to try out. Why not start with 4 factions and replace other 3 with more neutral cards?
You could introduce other factions in later midsized expansions.
Or if you really have to have 7 factions in starter, why not make less faction specific cards and more neutrals.

2. I can afford 2 starters to test/demo it to my friends. If I was still student, I wouldn't spend 80 to 'test' anything. Even with real income, I'm not sure is it worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Doomtown Reloaded did exactly this:

Original Doomtown had 10 factions.

For Reloaded they cut it down to 4 factions.
1. Law Dogs: From the original Doomtown and includes Sheriff's office and good upstanding citizens
2. Sloane's gang: an Outlaw gang that is pretty similar to Original Doomtowns Blackjacks, but with different backstory
3. Fourth Ring: Evil circus Hucksters and Abominations. Somewhat resembles original badguy faction Whateleys, but in fiction completely different.
4. Morgan Cattle company: Big business factions that combines aspects from Sweetrock mining CO and Collegium factions. Amoral western capitalists.

a Later expansion introduced 2 more factions
5. The Eagle Wardens. Similar to originals Sioux faction.
6. 108 Righteous bandits. Maybe similar to Maze rats.

The Agency and the Texas Rangers (North and south US factions) have been relegated to neutral cards.
The Flock/Lost Angels still MIA.

a single Doomtown Reloaded starter was all you needed to test out all 4 factions. Default decks were competitive enough with each other and didn't have any overlap in style or function. There were lot of neutral stuff, so you could really customize your decks. Even more if you got yourself a 2nd box. (full playset)

Issaries fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 12, 2017

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Doomtown was a revival of a game that had been dead for a decade and had a fairly small player base when it was active. As you noted you needed a second box for a full playset and we'll have to agree to disagree that you could full get the feel for a faction based on a single DTR core.

What is there to disagree? I'm not saying a single box isn't limited.
I was just claiming I could buy single starter of DTR, build 4 default decks, read rules (couple of times) and start playing with my mates.
It even had 74 extra cards to customize the decks with, when I was ready to do so.

What can I do with a single starter of L5R? Build non-constructed legal tutorial decks for up to 2 clans at the same time. No extra cards for customization, unless you count swapping clans.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope FFG makes a new L5R RPG with designs taken and refined from the star wars RPG. I'd really like to see L5R with a more modern set of rules. I played the old one and it had all the usual crap from the 3.5 rules system.

Here's the link for StaWa L5R beta:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/26/legend-of-the-five-rings-rpg-beta/

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

That is the whole loving point. 1 starter isn't good enough for even casual play at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

In any nerdhobby the serious tournament players are the tiny (vocal) minority.
Most customers are casuals who play with their RL mates/family and don't interact with the general community. They buy a boxed set to play with. If their group likes it they might get expansions. lovely starter (like this) leads to less sales.

It's not like bad starter is a selling point for the whales or competitive players.