Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Beta for the RPG looks really interesting at least. Hoping to try it out in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

I traded away my Lion

I guess your need to pick the wrong faction continues.

I only have one starter box right now, and my old L5R play group are all interested in getting into this at the ground floor. Hopefully our local game store will manage to get more in. One of my problems with Netrunner is that it looked cool, but starting several years into its existence made it seem like a impossible prospect to actually get into the game.

Hopefully L5R will manage to hold together better than the Doomtown redo from AEG. Really fun but I don't think anyone but me ever bought any. :smith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I personally really liked the spider clan, but I totally get why long term Shadowlands players were mad about it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

In fairness, they gave us a choice.

Ah, how many stupid stupid story prizes are the result of this. Having to have 10+ results for everything no matter how nonsensical really compounded over 20 years.

My favorite will always be the Unicorn winner picking "No more stories about us, please" in response to be given immunity to the Kolat, their main interesting thing.

Oh who am I kidding, my favorite story is when the cool political Emperor Naseru wandered into the Shadowlands for literally no reason with his pals and got them all killed off camera because the fans picked the wrong wind for Emperor. (RIP Shiba Aikune, you were too cool for this world. Just as you started to grow as a character too)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Was that a thing that actually happened though? Most of the stuff I remember were things like "choose one of these outcomes for the story"

You have to remember that most writers are also huge fans that bring their own obsessions to the table. (Looking at you Ree Soesbee). So many decisions for so many tournaments for years was the big thing. You also has a problem with prominent decks ruling the tournament scene so all the important events mainly happened to two or maybe three clans for big chunks of time. And those two clans only have X NPCs to work with.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like like the Kolat, but my favorite thing about the is that their philosophy was demonstrably wrong. The Celestial Order is a literal thing, not that they didn't kill gods on the regular. Kolat would have been better if there wasn't also Scorpion, Shadow Guys, and Shadowlands corruption all also secretly manipulating everything.

Akodo Kage was rad as hell though. So honorable he was allowed to keep the Akodo name after the Coup.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like that for most of history people poo poo all over the Crab because they did their job correctly, so no one really believed the Shadowlands was more than a few pathetic Goblins.

Hida Kisada betraying the Empire to the Shadowlands in a bid to conquer the world was ultimately a bizarre introduction to them. Luckily doing that and crucifying your son on a Battle Standard only leads to a slap on the wrist! He even became a God later!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Hey for what it's worth I read all this and like it, as I've also always had issues with Actual Satan being at the gates for literal centuries while everyone else somehow just doesn't ever worry about this. It also adds rather interesting conflict to the Yasuki, who are very much not supposed to be dealing with the gaijin who they are charged with literally keeping out, but gosh that would be worth a lot of money, wouldn't it? And then the Tortoise step in. In fact, maybe that's how it plays out - the Yasuki are of course openly mercantile, and probably use this to try and eliminate any kind of public gaijin goods market, and go back and forth between waging bizarre economic shadow wars with the Tortoise (who's main thing is trading with gaijin), and allying with the Tortoise when those foreigners start to get unfriendly and now it's go time.

Tortoise Clan rules.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Their deal was basically they were barely above peasants so everyone pretty much disliked them and ignored them, but secretly they did the dirty work for the Emperor that he couldn't be seen being involved with. And I guess that they couldn't trust the Scorpion with. Mainly they traded illegally overseas with Gaijin, but were also spying on them and spreading disinformation about Rokugan.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I wish it was a little slower. One every two weeks would have been perfectly fine. (and way less intimidating to non CCG players)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

While you are definitely correct, what campaign of L5R are you playing where anyone is a shugenja and not a bunch of cool bushi? I feel like you really need to play up social stuff to make L5R work, as opposed to running it as D&D with curvy longswords. Murder hobos without a lord to serve are just honorless dogs.

FFG is notorious for ignoring open playtesting,which is disappointing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope FFG makes a new L5R RPG with designs taken and refined from the star wars RPG. I'd really like to see L5R with a more modern set of rules. I played the old one and it had all the usual crap from the 3.5 rules system

The 5th Edition beta is definitely heavily informed by it, yes. Available free right now!

Also lol if you played the d20 version

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Oriental adventures was my first RPG book and it was all because I was tricked by lovely RPG grognards that it was a "good system." :mad: loving grognards, man, tricking kids into playing their lovely games. (that's how I also got into 40k :mad: )

I didn't find out about the actual L5R ruleset until later and by then it was too late. I was in the glory days of 4e and finding out good games like dogs in the vineyard or burning wheel by then.

I really like the feel of the new L5R system. It is genre emulation in an interesting way because it is heavily dependent on what your character is feeling, and I love that you build up stress until your emotionless mask cracks and you have an outburst.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Togashi Monks are legally full samurai, regardless of origin. They can get as wild as they want with swords they just generally don't.

They rarely leave the mountains because, hey monks, but causing social confusion is one of their biggest hallmarks.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Zarick beat me to it on the rules here but did you notice anything else about the Shinjo Outrider? Specifically, that it totally rules? "Reduce ANY check TN by your Rank (wow!), so long as you tell me how your horse 'should' help here." This is gonna be goooooood.

"I want to convince Kisada to give me the ancestral Crab blades." "Uh alright but that's TN 8, a 'legendary' task." *horse makes big, soft eyes at Kisada* "Nice work, Ed-san, looks like I just cleared that easy TN 3 and got me some sick swords."

"I want to jump over the palace." "What? TN like 9, past a legendary feat!" *mounts up, rides to palace, horse jumps, at top of jump rider jumps off (see: Mario and Yoshi)* "Looks like I just jumped over the palace on a totally do-able TN 4"

Sounds like a feature and not a bug for sure. Just imagine if they had access to Utaku steeds.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 14, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Yup, they're busy refusing the gifts and shes busy asking them to accept them. That's why you need a chump to go with you to refuse/accept the gifts on his behalf.

drat L5R is so good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

L5R 5th Edition: Daidoji With Spear Now Playable

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I don't know, having a person blessed with the ability to command the very fabric of creation balanced with guy who does sword good seems wrong.

I like a well balanced game, but tabletop RPGs can allow for differences in power. Don't like shugenja? Cool, don't allow PC Shugenja.

It is also very easy to forget that Shugenja are supposed to be very dedicated pacifists.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Is this seriously an argument for exponential wizards and linear fighters? Those sword guys are so good with their swords they also warp the fabric of reality with their animu powers

Exponential wizards and linear fighters make a ton of sense if that is the setting. When I play L5R it is usually heavy on the politics and social tension tension, and less wandering around murdering people as your muscles swell with all the sweet XP you harvest from the hundreds of monsters you slaughter.

If I want to play a balanced game where combat is a well oiled board game that all can delight in perfectly equally I would play D&D 4th. Unironically, it is a great game for delivering that experience.

I may be a little biased because my favorite game is absolutely Ars Magica. It is a perfect example of a game where imbalance is baked into the system but that delivers a stronger experience because of that.

SuperKlaus posted:

I appreciate your joining the discussion. I mean that sincerely, though I would dispute all of your points.

1) A game should not have Player A command the fabric of creation while Player B does sword good. This is fundamentally unfair to player B, and very boring. Further, Player A only commands creation because we arbitrarily say so in this fictional work of entertainment; Player B can just as easily perform incredible things with his sword, as Chill la Chill has said. If it helps, I would suggest that kata users draw power from their ancestors to do amazing things just as kiho draw on ki and invocations draw on kami. See? We can easily explain away "realism" concerns.

2) Simply disallowing shugenja is no solution. When you have to ignore part of the rules to make a game work, it is a bad game. Why should we ever play a bad game?

3) I do not believe that is quite accurate to the setting, but I don't really mean to argue that point. What I would say is that a dedicated pacifist shugenja nonetheless is overpowered and unbalanced because flying, reading minds, and even shooting fire all have stupendous applications to non-combat situations. L5R role-playing, even more so than other role-playing, is not exclusively about combat performance.

Of course a well balanced game should be preferred over a poorly balanced one, but I also don't really think that perfect balance is great either. Shugenja are in a weird place because they have never been good before, certainly not at low levels. I am really more interested to see how the fact that courtiers do social combat with magic powers shakes out.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

You should try out Gloomhaven because it's now the ultimate D&D dungeon crawling experience. 4e didn't go far enough, and 5e is :lol:

Yeah, I backed the hell out of the 2nd print.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

One the reasons why I don't want bushi to get crazier abilities is that I want my L5R samurai experience to be more Sword of Doom (or 13 Assassins if you are feeling frisky) and much less beautiful Anime men hopping around on trees yelling the names of secret techniques at each other.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Conversely, this is exactly what I want out of L5R. I want my shugenja to be goddamned wizards who are also ordained ministers, I want my bushi to be yelling about their secret blade style that can only be performed with My Grandfather's Blade, and I want my monks to be pulling off Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Techniques while expressing extreme dismay that you forced them to use it. Mostly because it's pretty simple to scale a game down but really loving hard to scale a game up.

This is absolutely a legitimate thing to want out of of L5R! I have played a few l5r sessions that way and while definitively fun I always found that I always just played Exalted for that flavor of game. Luckily I have discovered Feng Shui these days, I don't think I am young enough to try learning the new Exalted edition.

I would like to see bushi get neat powers, but I agree that they should stay grounded so to help preserve the flavor of a monk. I think the main problem with shugenja is that they can cast spells so quickly. In previous editions the fact that casting meaningful spells took several rounds in a game where getting hit had a serious chance to cripple you was a good balance.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Courtiers don't fit in the D&D paradigm that most people approach RPGs from, so rather that being excluded for being too powerful they are politely ignored as they are never picked for the Murder Posse.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

why did you have to remind me of this

Unless I'm forgetting something even more egregiously cack-handed, that was the dumbest of all the major plot lines.

Luckily the killed all their entire civilization first! Second City would have been much more interesting if it had been more about having conquered a huge population and not building a huge city from scratch surrounded by nothing but jungle.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Sad that FFG has a very strong policy of Ujimitsu erasure.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Yea, I'm pretty eager to see the new update! I'd be super happy if FFG could turn my opinion around here. Unmasking seems like a good compromise between Outbursts and 'yea but I'd rather not my stoic Lion be forced to act like an rear end in a top hat just because someone got a good barb in', and super eager to see a refined and expanded duel system!

LOL if your proud Matsu Berserker won't be a huge rear end in a top hat and murder nearby Crane at the slightest provocative

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am just glad that new L5R card game is starting the right way, with Lion getting their well deserved victory over the other (lesser) clans.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

alansmithee posted:

The big issue with the scorpion decision for me isn't just that the dude obviously chose something subpar for the clan. That kinda sucks, and it's making me rethink if it's really a good idea to have such impactful decisions for the game made based on a dude placing in one tourney. I don't think any of the other clans had people picking junk for them for the betterment of the game (remember, it wasn't even scorpion who won the tourney).

l5r.txt

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

The thing about the Isawa is, how do other shugenja compete with them? They have the best general-use ability for magic, and while it makes sense, it's somewhat hard to bring others up to that level when everyone else specializes more instead of just being good at magic.

Yeah, having your whole deal be Best Wizards really is hard to balance around. Having a strong trick in your schools element or at least an interesting ability that is unique to your school is really how it should be. I think this is why historically Asahina and Iuchi were interesting. Honestly I really like the Kuni School getting combat and not social powers is a really interesting and favorable choice. They live in a world where shugenja pretty much never physically fight anyone except shadowlands monsters.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just to be clear, I am totally OK with Isawa being straight up better at general magic than everyone. I really like how it has been handled in the past where they had a solid genetic benefit along with having no penelty on any element (just being able to choose any element also really good obviously.) So I really like the other schools being limited to something more interesting and flavorful.

I think one thing about the Kuni is that there role is pretty defined. Other than fighting Shadowlands guys directly or witch hunting inside the empire what else should they be doing? If I am choosing to play one in a different setting like traditional court you are really going for a fish out of water story, which can be great. I would rather make every school distinct and interesting rather than really bland. Especially Shugenja because your Clan only has one. Bushi should definitely have more overlap.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

This exactly. It's been a problem in game design for an eternity. Designers keep making these "werewolf hunter" classes, if you will. Are there werewolves? The hunter makes everything trivial. Are there not werewolves? The hunter plays with his phone while everyone else games. Not cool.

So maybe don't pick Werewolf hunter unless you like the idea of being a Werewolf hunter from a roleplaying standpoint? If it is no fun being a Werewolf hunter because it is either too powerful or not powerful enough mechanically, play a Vampire Slayer instead.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Quidthulhu posted:

2! It's #2!

This guy gets it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

In the setting, wearing your armor at all is not something that you would do at all unless you are going into battle, a guard, or being in Crab lands (where fucks are not given).

Walking around town in light armor (especially outside your own clan's holdings) is like if a fully kitted out special forces squad was walking around a Wal-Mart. Maybe not impossible, but likely to cause a stir.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like that Shugenja are so rare that they are returned to the parent clan after a battle, even if they execute everyone else.

I guess killing pacifist priests is always frowned upon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

I never implied that shugenja should roll up into town draped in full armor and carrying a big gently caress-off weapon. Of course that is not okay. I was asking if, in combat with non-supernatural enemies, there was a reason a Kuni couldn't wear armor and use a weapon to fill in as a bushi. Considering they get access to kata, is there anything that makes them mechanically worse bushi besides their school techniques not giving them bonuses to weapon-based combat?

Yes, I understand the story aspect of how they will likely get executed like bushi rather than captured like shugenja, but aside from that.

Crab don't give a gently caress. They might have even started with light armor in first edition. Being the Shugenja who physically fights is definitely going to take away from your magic progression but that seems like a fair trade off.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, no second day of Thunder means no Agasha defection in the first place, IIRC?

Timeline resets!

I miss the glory days of Phoenix having three Shugenja families. They did some neat stuff with the Agasha as a Phoenix family honestly, and the Tamori were great as the second rowdiest wizard family.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm not gonna be over timeline resets eliminating the Monkey clan until they give me an equivalent 'no we were totally not founded by a secret peasant who found a sword and happened to be in the right place/right time' minor clan so I feel you.

:smith::hf::smith: Monkey Clan were really cool.

Still, restarting the timeline wipes our so many nonsensical events that it can only be a huge net positive. I really liked Daigotsu and the Spider Clan, but maybe they will do some of the good stuff over. I can do without Naseru taking some of my favorite characters into the Shadowlands for a pointless off screen death because the players chose the wrong wind as Emperor.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

What is the Dragon Clan's actual purpose? As someone who's only ever read the 4E rulebook and FFG open beta rulebook, they just come off as the ~oh so esoteric and inscrutable~ clan, in a really annoying way. Like, what do they actually do for the empire? What do they do, period? There's basically no real information in the rulebooks, just a lot of "they do things and nobody knows why."

No, you got it. That is the deal.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I liked the good old days where anyone born with Ishiken potential outside the Phoenix were discovered quickly and what do you know, this kid is a Phoenix now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

Fittingly enough, the dumbest fiction in the new L5R set

Holy poo poo that must be bad.