Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The banzai poo poo is dumb for a number of reasons and I'm glad it's gone. When they call snap elections in the Diet and House of Representatives is dissolved, like they just did, tradition dictates for the MP's are to chant banzai as part of the code of conduct. A minister, former Prime Minister Koizumi's son, said it was stupid and they shouldn't be doing illogical stupid poo poo just because it's tradition.

Anyone bitching about FFG's lust for money when it comes to LCG's has never seen the aftermath of a Magic tournament or people opening up lots of packs. Players throw away 50%-80% of their cards from new packs away because it's unusable garbage or duplicates of stuff they have, rares included. It sucks I have to make a one time investment into this game to play competitively but it's nowhere near the money pit that is a CCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aramoro posted:

One thing that kinda matters is that to most of the population in Rokugan the Scorpion are not evil plotting ninja fucks. There's no real reason for other characters to distrust a Scorpion in particular, emnity between Clans is mostly based on borders.

Peasants in Scorpion lands tend to love their masters because they have lots of festivals to ensure the masses are placated.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

My favorite will always be the Unicorn winner picking "No more stories about us, please" in response to be given immunity to the Kolat, their main interesting thing.

My favorite is the guy who killed the Dragon champion in the last tournament for $1,500? to fix his car. It was the last tournament too so it ended up being win win for that guy.

Yawgmoth posted:

I hope the Shadowlands see some development in both the RPG and LCG because otherwise it's a pretty gigantic bucket of unused material and wasted potential. If the Shadowlands are never a credible threat it really makes the Crab look like a band of paranoid idiots, first off. Secondly, without the Shadowlands the game is awfully single-note; yeah great you have clans that fight with s/words and an emperor who kind of but not really rules the whole thing. That's great for one game, maybe two, what else you got? You need that external threat to show that the petty squabbles are just that, and also that when it really matters the clans can actually accomplish anything at all worth doing.

I also want to see Spider Clan show up again, but with 100% less Daigot Sue. Spurned younger brother of the emperor who fucks off to the shadowlands with "fine, I'll make my own empire! With blackjack, and hookers!" is fine and good, but holy poo poo just about everything else was dumb as hell. Just let them be the subtle infiltrators trying to rot the empire from the inside, that's an interesting-ish angle to run with.

FFG handled Chaos well in the 40K RPG's so I'm hopeful.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Some Spanish language spoilers got released on the Spanish FFG site and they show the new role and province. The role let's a player splash more Phoenix, 8 influence, and the province changes the challenge to a comparison of glory. I don't speak or read Spanish, what I do know seems to back this up, but this is all culled from Facebook.

It's an interesting route to go with the roles. I was curious as to what it would end up being but that makes the most sense.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would guess they're changing the roles you can take to the clan's designated role or the allied to X clan role. It might also just be something for casual play because that's a big chunk of the market.

I don't mind buying the clan packs if there's 1 card in them I can't use competitively because I'm still going to play casually and it mixes things up. I don't think that will be the case but FFG has definitely done similar things in the past.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Here are most of the stories in one place. https://l5r.gamepedia.com/Fiction

It's missing some of the latest entries but it's a good start.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SuperKlaus posted:

Hahah wow it warms my Shosuro-shadow-branded heart to hear there are other Soesbee haters. I was afraid I was just irrational when I reflexively gagged at hearing she had anything to do with new canon, and saw Doji Shizue in print again.

When I saw Shizue posted in a spoiler post, I almost yelled out, "Oh no!"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spookyelectric posted:

Hey so I wrote an L5R book that comes with full-bleed promos for the TCG:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/14/the-sword-and-the-spirits/

I really love the artwork on those and as a Phoenix main :getin:.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spookyelectric posted:

Hey, my L5R novella went on sale today, for those interested in such things!

I got the email from CSI tonight telling me it shipped. I'll hopefully be picking it up tomorrow or Monday.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This seems like a way for them to just get around another dynasty pack a week release schedule since this box has about as many cards as 6 dynasty packs. I don't think it's a bad thing, I prefer this to their dynasty pack release schedule, and I'll be definitely picking it up.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't understand that. What is there to get around when release schedules are their prerogative anyway? They could go to a pack-a-month or pack-per-six-weeks like Netrunner did. You're right that this is just (most of) a pack cycle in one package but I figure it's to test whether casual players are more likely to buy lump boxes over piecemeal packs. I get the feeling that many aspects of Legend of the Five Rings's marketing / production are tests to feel out how to maximize LCG sales, seeing as it keeps refusing to do the same things Netrunner did.

I think the hurdles and uncertainties involved with shipping from China now have put a damper on that. They've had issues in the past and I don't think they want their starting up game to get stalled out because of the trade war or the other issues that have been going on in the last couple of years.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Huh. I wonder why this would be? I was planning on buying them all as pdfs, and they seem to release non star wars stuff as pdfs I thought.

They usually wait a couple weeks to a month before releasing the PDF's from what I remember. I could be wrong but we'll probably be getting PDFs in the near future.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Oh awesome, that is great if true. Delaying the pdf, while annoying, is at least a sane thing to do.

I think the only RPG books they don't release in PDF are the Star Wars ones due to the licensing agreement. They have all the other editions up on Drivethru so I don't know of any reason they wouldn't put the new edition up there.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

Wait, what. Do you just swallow them whole or something? Or does extremely messy violence ensue?

Probably however the player decides to represent it because a nine tailed fox is a powerful shapeshifter in East Asian mythology.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Free Ogres were a rare thing in past editions of L5R but most evil yokai races weren't originally evil but ended up that way because their ancestors lived in what is now the Shadowlands. Ogres usually get wiped out because they're ogres and have a bad rap, obviously they're Shadowlands monsters, and Rokugani samurai are assholes.

I don't know how it's going to be in the current setting but in the old one it was pretty cyclical in terms of races ruling, declining, and another taking over. Ogres and Nezumi for instance had empires in the past and now humans are the dominant species in Rokugan.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't looked at Shadowlands too much but what I've seen so far seems really good. FFG seems to be doing a great job so far.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

Apparently a recent Discord stream by FFG has stated that, quote, "RPG is not shutting down. We will have more information about that in the future." and "RPGs will continue. We have an announcement planned that will be shared soonish."

They're probably going to use a WotC model where they have 1-2 full time employees handling the whole thing and just use a bunch of freelancers. I'm sure they were using freelancers before but I think they're just going to do it at the lowest margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not saying Asmodee isn't to blame this time, but FFG has been letting their games die from neglect for a long time before people could use that excuse.

I feel like their limited print runs and shipping hassles did more to kill their games and I don't think that was on Asmodee, just FFG being unprepared for increasing demand as their games became more popular.