Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Geisladisk posted:

I played L5R for a while. I remember a few people were really weird about it. More than one person wore a kimono to every tournament.

Hahaha about this: my best friend was one of these people, and even though he didn't wear it to EVERY tournament, he played Scorpion and had some courtier getup, with fan included.

One year he wore it to Gencon and wound up on one of those Buzzfeed "Worst cosplay ever" lists. We mocked him for months after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dick Burglar posted:

Post a picture.

Like right now.

hahaha, he's my best friend. Ridicule among our local group is fine, I won't subject him to SA though

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SirFozzie posted:

The game is a lot more back and forth then the CCG, you don't have the self-playing Honor deck for example, and the fate mechanic means that you can go breaking provinces quickly or go at them hard, but not both.

I like that a lot. As a lifelong Shadowlands/Spider player (except for a brief detour into pirate raid Mantis), I felt like Honor could play against me without my actions mattering, and Dishonor for an opponent was usually an autowin for me.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
BTW, that's the one sad thing about FFG compared to the old CCG: AEG kind of threw poo poo at the walls and didn't even bother to see if it stuck before throwing something else. That led to a lot of really stupid, fun archetypes, like pirate raid Mantis, the old Ninja stronghold, etc that I don't think we'll see in a more structured game.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Yawgmoth posted:

Counterpoint: a more structured game might just decide to make pirate raid mantis or ninja stronghold decks A Definite Thing because while I haven't a loving clue what those phrases mean, they sound :krad: and the type of thing any game should have.

Pirate raids were cool, you literally had two battle phases, the first one didn't have casualties, but if you won, you could steal the gold from their holdings.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Campbell posted:

So wait - not only can I enjoy a game of political and military card-based intrigue but if I go to tournaments I can dress up like Associate Bob from Demolition Man??

You could even impress a lady with such antics, as I've seen more of them at big L5R events than most gaming tournaments!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Lightning Lord posted:

FFG is far better at promoting and maintaining the audience for their games than AEG, which is pretty much now down to Love Letter and Smash-Up, ever were. I don't think this is a concern.

After playing Doomtown back in its heyday, and playing the Reloaded version, I'm going to go ahead and give Wizards the credit for OG Doomtown's success. The game design went drastically downhill once AEG took the reins after Revelations, and I don't think Reloaded is very good.

Edit: which is funny, because I feel the complete opposite way towards, L5R, where I thought the Wizards years were a boring snoozefest.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Deviant posted:

there's one of these in every thread.

the single core even comes with special, 1-core deckbuilding rules, you ninny.

That doesn't make the practice acceptable though.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

bonds0097 posted:

3 core sets is the entire playset and costs about the same as a single box of magic cards, so that doesn't seem overly onerous.

And there doesn't seem to be a way to win here, Netrunner had more than 1 card per core and people got super pissed at all the extras they ended up with at 3 cores.

Unless people just expect that a single core will include a full playset of 600 cards or so for 40 bucks, in which case, they're insane.

Did they REALLY get super pissed though? LOL

Edit: Doomtown Reloaded only required 2 cores. TBF though, it's the only LCG I've played until L5R

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Shadowlands? 'Taint in the game wokka wokka

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I'd like to see an exterior threat like say.. the Yodotai threaten Rokugan early on, leading to the Shadowlands assisting and changing what it means to be "tainted"

From there, there are a ton of directions they could go in that are new

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Aramoro posted:

I really hope they don't bring back the Shadowlands as a playable faction in the LCG. It's an external corrupting influence tainting the great clans.

Counterpoint: Spider Clan was the most interesting thing to happen in the setting in a decade.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I personally really liked the spider clan, but I totally get why long term Shadowlands players were mad about it.

In fairness, they gave us a choice. I voted Great Clan.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dick Burglar posted:

I think it's a really novel idea that L5R allows players to influence the course of history, but allowing weebs to make their OC Do Not Steal characters into official Mary Sues is really terrible and a severe detriment to the setting. Let them decide the outcome of a battle or something, not deify their stupid loving half-angel, half-demon, half-dragon character.

Was that a thing that actually happened though? Most of the stuff I remember were things like "choose one of these outcomes for the story"

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I like how we're barely 1 set in and already people are clamoring to disenfranchise part of the old player base lol

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Im not sure "having part of the setting exist" counts as a story beat

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

KittyEmpress posted:

As someone who only played the rpg, the shadowlands was loving stupid, as was the Spider Clan. Every development got increasingly nonsensical and the entire plot looked idiotic any time either of those two started doing things. Like 5/7 great clans ended up corrupted at some point in time because the cards were good, the Spider Clan ignored basically all previous lore and went 'yeah they got to be a clan despite every single one of them being tainted and everyone knowing it's.

The setting books for 4e rpg tried it's best to make things coherent throughout, and yet when it got to the Spider Clan went 'wow we have no way to make this make sense.

I totally think that bad lore should be removed, and yeah, that means I don't think the game needs shadowlands or spider clan as playable factions.

I disagree with pretty much all of this. I think the way they earned their status was interesting

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Aramoro posted:

Yes I mean after attempting to assassinate the leaders of every great clan it sure makes sense that they would turn round and say 'Whelp your leaders dead so I guess you hideously corrupt and unashamedly evil people get to be a great clan now' and everyone's just fine with that.

They sent them the gently caress away. It was basically a bribe to get them to gently caress off to the unexplored lands.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Also it was balancing the scales for the original celestial fall.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Aramoro posted:

As opposed to murdering every single last one of them because they were evil? I mean one of the families sole purpose is the annihilation of all people in Rokugan. Clan's have been purged from existence before for simply thinking about being tainted, it just makes no sense and gets forced in there from Storyline choices.

Good luck with that. They had the backing of the commoners and were one of the most powerful military forces in Rokugan at the time. Challenging the Spider would have been a great way to overthrow the entire Empire. And the clan as a whole renounced the ways of Jigoku in order to get great clan status also, so much so that the Chuda hosed right out.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The clan becoming a great clan wasn't an arbitrary choice, either. AEG deliberately told the Spider/Shadowlands players that the current state was untenable, and either Spider had to step up and start playing (somewhat) by the rules, or dissolve and fade back into Horde.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Aramoro posted:

Except they let the Chuda straight back in there 20 years later. You're kinda making my point though in one way, that the storyline was insane. That a group of people no one had ever heard of 20 years before was suddenly so vast and powerful it could overthrow the whole Empire. That's just dumb.

Except again, they had the backing of the peasants and commoners. That's part of the entire lore behind Rokugan! Life is not great in Rokugan for these people, the great clans generally poo poo all over them!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PaybackJack posted:

It occurs to me that the release schedule would have everything out by Christmas which means players could take advantage of black friday sales to grab some of the packs, put them on Christmas wish lists, or even purchase with any holiday gift certificates they get. So while people will balk at the $90 price tag, it comes at a time when there will be discounts on that, and others could purchase the items for you. Since everything hits post World's there won't be any major tournaments for a while, and most local scenes probably won't be running major events during the holiday season because it's such a crazy time for most.

Are FFG packs generally like the Doomtown Reloaded ones, where each one yields a full playset?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Aramoro posted:

Yes, the Netrunner packs where all playsets of every card.

Well that is something at least. This is going to make my fencesitting friends even more skeptical though, that's a big initial purchase

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah but its negating one of the strongest benefits of an LCG over a CCG, namely, affordable card ability.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
It sure seems like a pickle. The poor game company has to choose between releasing a huge core set, or 6 expansions in the course of six weeks, there are literally no other options available to satisfy those spoiled consumers.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Man, if only cards weren't perishable and they could release the sets a little further apart. Maybe someday, science will solve this problem.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wish it was a little slower. One every two weeks would have been perfectly fine. (and way less intimidating to non CCG players)

This is crazy talk, where would they even store all those cards? They'd have cards up to their eyeballs!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Maybe i have a weird local gaming scene, but when people here see too many releases too quickly, they bail. Yeah, technically you could just skip some, or wait, but so many cards in such a short time looks like dumping trash.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

alansmithee posted:

Honestly, it seems the people who are complaining the most are expecting a full card game experience (with all the customization and options that typically entails) for a medium-priced board game price ($40 is hardly at the high end for board games outside of discounts). And that's not realistic.

Doomtown Reloaded was a full experience, minus the customization/options bit, but no one is actually complaining about that

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Like for $40 you should be able to make 2 decks in a universal format. They don't have to be good decks, but they should give you a good feel for how the game plays.

The fact people are defending a company for the audacity of making a lovely, "less than" format rather than meeting that bare minimum standard is depressing as hell.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I mean if I were in charge of the thing, I'd have done it this way:

Core box has the rules, 2 well balanced decks to smash together (make it a fiction like the old L5R special sets, IE Battle at Beiden Pass), tokens, etc. Also contains all the universal cards, and cards of the two featured clans in a playset, so people will want to buy it.

Next 5 expansions in 5 weeks are the other 5 clans. Week 6 is your first mixed bag expansion.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PaybackJack posted:

There's no incentive for them to give players the option to straight up ignore the other factions, and you're creating 5 extra products.

I'd call "longevity of the game" a good incentive to "ignore" (lol) 5 clans by not having them in a single release. And I'm not creating 5 extra products. I'm using the release slots they already committed to.

quote:

If you're a player that just wants to play 1 faction and gently caress the other factions sure, that's a great idea. As a retailer the gently caress you'd want to go through the hassle of having to stock 6 separate products that you have no idea which ones will sell and which ones won't. On top of which anyone who came in and wanted to play would have to buy the first one so you'd have to carry extra of those, of course if you didn't want to play one of those two factions you'd be pissed that you have to buy 2 products while players from those clans only have to buy one.

As opposed to the retailer headache of having to stock some arbitrary number of cores because who knows how many each player will want to buy. And they are STILL going to have the problem of extra stocked expansions because they have that with LCGs anyhow.

quote:

DTR = 286 cards spread across 4 factions with a tournament legal deck size of 53 cards counting your faction card.

L5R = 247 cards spread across 7 factions with a tournament legal deck size of 86 cards including provinces and faction card.

One of these is a lot easier to make work than the other. DTR got rid of the old factions and rebooted the game so many years after it had died that they were probably lucky people remembered it enough to go out and buy it. L5R LCG was made official the minute the old game died, and you still had the same player base and built in loyal clan followers. They pissed off plenty of people by cutting Mantis and Shadowlands, but they decided that they need to cut them probably for a combination of space, story, and balance reasons. Obviously they felt that cutting more was detrimental to the health of the game so they didn't.

You seem to think the idea of not having every clan in the starter is "cutting" them. The very same people who are obsessive about the property that you mention are literate and would be able to consume a press release that their clan is coming shortly, i assure you.

quote:

The core set does give you a feel for how the game plays. You're literally just using fewer cards than normal. You don't use any different rules other than for deck building. A single core is meant to be a hook to get you to go buy more product.

And here is where we disagree. We agree on the general idea that it should entice people to buy more product. However, I feel it should entice them through giving an honest representation of how the game plays, not being 1/3 of that experience. And come on, decks that are only 75% of the size, with no consistency is as much of a representative experience as it woild be to grab a handful of commons from a magic box and mash them together.

quote:

I will defend the company because they're entitled to make a profit selling their game and getting people to buy more product. They're under no obligation to make their product so cheap that you can ignore some of it, or pick and choose what content you buy from them. They have a model that they've stuck with for 7 games now. If the model wasn't profitable or efficient they wouldn't use it. If you don't like the model then fine, don't buy into it. Don't support it if you're that enraged that this company is twisting your arm to buy a 2nd Core to make decks that you can play in tournaments.

What does this even mean? Are you under the impression people just don't understand FFG is a for profit corporation? Being a corporation isn't a shield against all criticism for the sake of profit, but you do you, i guess?

I'm telling you, on the ground, a lot of the l5r diehards are completely turned off by the way they are handling the release. Thats their core audience.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Oh ok well you're the authority

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I went to a game con today and bought my second and third cores so i am officially part of the problem now.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PaybackJack posted:

Grats. How was the showing at the Con? Was there an event?

No event. it was a very small con, like 100 people. It was the first gaming con in this area probably ever

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I wish the colors were brighter on the cards. They are very dull.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dick Burglar posted:

That's a great "mythical" power, though, you have to admit. Especially if you're indoors and your horse just comes barreling through a barricaded door or something. Or slams through a solid wall like the Juggernaut.

Or make an extremely large bet on a horse race and win every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dick Burglar posted:

That sounds DISHONORABRU to me

Unicorn are already only barely tolerated due to their dealings with filthy gaijin