Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
If they can figure out a way to do Spider without repeating the dumb "The Empress officially recognizes the clan of tainted monstrosities" storyline and without breaking the honor mechanics in half, I'd be fine with the Spider. I'm not inherently against there being a faction that's all the evil stuff, I'm just worried that it would lead to a faction that can just bid 5 every honor bid with no consequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
This release schedule is bonkers. It definitely addresses the concerns about single core+1 pack metas though.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Haha thank you. :hfive: We all like knowing our nonsense is noticed. I had actually forgotten about the Yasuki for a moment there but you're absolutely right. Reconfiguring the Wall to be about gaijin more than or at least as well as Fu Leng opens up some really great stories with the Yasuki. Great point.

Of course, that will only ever be ~*my canon*~ for my table, because forever war with Hell is already cemented in the new game lines. That won't change officially, but there's something else that can.

I liked it a lot too. I had been trying to come up with a way to have supernatural stuff be a more common occurrence when I run the RPG, but was kind of just leaning towards the Wall having a slow leak. I think instead I'll borrow some of your stuff. I like the Crab being able to actually have wars with people too, clans actually fighting each other is an important part of involvement in the setting, and the Crab missing out on that is a shame.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

I was thinking For Greater Glory seemed really cute added to Cavalry Reserves.

Cav Reserves+FGG is definitely the dream play, but in my experience it isn't nearly as reliable as just having tattooed wanderers and let gos.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm curious about this, as a 1-core-owning noob who's only played a little to test the waters. It's clear to me from discussion that everyone is very focused on attachments. Here and on cardgameDB I see lots of people talking about including Let Go. My first instinct looking at Let Go was "that sucks rear end." Coming from a Hearthstone and old-times Magic and L5R background, I don't understand this "attachment meta" that seems to have come up. Please explain to me.

Basically, there are a lot of really strong attachments in this game, and teching to remove them is a good idea for anyone. It's not the only idea, but it's a good idea.

More in-depth, some attachments warp the game around them, and most attachments are just really solid. A few examples of game-warping attachments are; Pacifism, Way of the Dragon, Togashi Kazue, Favored Mount, Above Question, Sashimono, Fiery Madness, Tattooed Wanderer. Any of these attachments can put you in a bad spot or give your opponent new options they didn't have before. Removing them helps stop some bullshit they can pull. In addition, the neutral attachments are all just really good (Cloud the Mind, Ornate Fan, Fine Katana) and you'll find them in almost every deck, meaning that going for anti-attachment will always be at least a little bit useful.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Eschatos posted:

That seems kinda lovely, though, since you can't add extra fate to units played with those cards.

Nope. But you can bring them back with Cavalry reserves from the discard pile. It's way better value for them.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Rising Slash looks really really good for duels to first blood, since it just inflicts a crit if you damage them. Not opportunity dependent, so it can't be hosed by earth stance. Horizontal Slash is a little underwhelming, but it's extra range on katana attacks and a damage boost. Not terrible.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

DAIGOTSU GOT RETCONNED. Take that, Spider nerds!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

Can you elaborate please?

The new fiction involves the Emperor's second son, Daisetsu. In Old5R, the Empress was kidnapped by bloodspeakers when she was pregnant with the Emperor's second son, and that child was named Daigotsu and was raised in Jigoku by Fu Leng.

To expand: Daigotsu was the head of the Spider Clan during L5R's old run. With him not being kidnapped and raised in Hell by Satan himself, the Spider clan may not exist, or at the very least is going to be approached in a radically different way.

SpaceViking fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 9, 2017

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Sega 32X posted:

I haven't paid much attention to the lcg -- are the Tamori even around? They didn't show up until Spirit Wars in the CCG storyline (after the agasha left with Gennai for the Phoenix).

They are not. The Tamori were just the parts of the Agasha who didn't defect. You would see some of their mechanics within the Agasha though.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Mirumoto bushi was clearly designed by the same person who did Akodo Commander. They either need to fire that guy, or make him do the rest of the schools too. Commander and Two-Sword are so ridiculously far ahead of every other school in raw strength, to say nothing of the poor deprived Shiba.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

What really weirded me out was Ree Soesbee writing fiction in 2017 that I didn't instinctively hate.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Personally I'm hoping Hitomi falls off a mountainside, but Korimi is another good choice for never seeing the light of day.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

I kind of like that they're willing to tinker with this so early, those cards were super obviously a problem and we'll see how much of a bandaid this is for them. At the very least we know they're gonna be working on the back end with broken cards too.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/11/the-legend-of-the-five-rings-roleplaying-game-core-rulebook/ RPG preview, looks like it's gonna be a Gencon release as well.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Can't the Bayushi school take the bushi powers though? Seems like just at coming at a bushi class from a different direction if so. I am waiting for my copy to arrive, so I can't check myself.

So glad Matsu Berserker is in though.

Yes, Bayushi Manipulator can take Kata. They're not bad in a fight either, if you can pick a disad on an opponent in combat.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

him, yeah. he was alright, rolled 4 ring dice for air actions. my katana was empowered by Kitsuki Yasu's exorcised shame, channeled into Fire essence, to put us on an even footing. and i worked with the party's ikoma bard to get into his head well before issuing the challenge. started at 2 range from each other, i won initiative, closed, exchanged blows for two rounds, killed him with the third strike.

What he means is that in the metaplot, Yoshi has a curse on him that prevents him from ever holding a sword.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

also, y'know, the creatures of the Shadowlands are led by the oni and their dark lord with the one Chinese name in the setting's major characters

China IS west of Japan, after all.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

I've seen posts by people in the L5R discord saying that the L5R RPG was mostly freelancer anyway, and that FFG might just be transitioning to 100% freelancer. Hard to know the accuracy of random discord posts though.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

I love that the associated pre-gen campaign is "you and your party are all dead, and you have to navigate the celestial bureaucracy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Now I just don't know what to believe. FFG RPG isn't dead? Maybe?