Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yawgmoth posted:

It's pretty indicative of like 90% of the player base from what I've experienced so from that angle it's pretty useful.

I'd love to find a group to play L5R 4e with that would be properly down to houseruling the problems the system has out (or at least mitigating them) and also be interested in having characters who want to actually do poo poo instead of RPing Samurai Barbie's Tea Party every session while NPCs handle the oni rampaging through the countryside and the kolat plotting yet another assassination of the emperor, etc.

...not that I'm bitter from a string of unfortunate groups or anything.

Sounds like you’d love my group. We play either 4E or heavily houseryled 1E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Aramoro posted:

I really hope they don't bring back the Shadowlands as a playable faction in the LCG. It's an external corrupting influence tainting the great clans.

Or if they do, don’t have them become a clan. That just doesn’t work on so many levels.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I know that the story choices were "okay, here's your prize money, and you can pick from these options that benefit your clan in different ways", but I always imagined it as the tournament winner being pulled up on some cheesy gameshow stage.

"You can take the washer-dryer-Promo Stronghold set! You can make Spider a great clan orrrrr you can take whatever's in the mystery box!"

The box! The box!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I'm fine with them existing but their storylines don't mesh well with the themes of politics, intrigue, and clan warfare that make up the bulk of the game.

I mean gently caress there's a ton of Ratling fans and they sure as poo poo shouldn't bring that faction back.

I'll certainly admit to some bias as an old Scorpion player who played dishonor decks and ran into Shadowlands and it was just dumb because it was pretty much auto-lose unless I was playing a switch deck that could go military. It was a lovely element of the game that was only ever tolerated because playing dishonor was like playing a blue M:tG deck; no fun for most people even if there was a ton of interaction.

So yeah, add them in but don't make them a focus of the storyline for a long time, and if you add them to the LCG then do it in a passive way that doesn't detract from the rest of the game and plays in a somewhat similar fashion.

Ratling have their own sense of honor and could be made to work within the rules.
Shadowlands/Spider not really.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm still a fan of the Unicorn, I've loved them since reading their Way of during the 1E days.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

While Shugenja were always crazy powerful, I always thought their many limitations helped make them balanced somewhat, or at least not making the rest of the PCs obsolete.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Zarick posted:

It seems like they did address the "not agreeing with your Clan skills" problem; in the rules update it says you can pick any skill you have 0 ranks in.

I'm still gonna play that Dragon clan sailor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

In over 10 years of playing Legend of the Five Rings, I've yet to see a single character that was just a stereotype. Even the ones that held closely to their clan archetype still had some personality traits that set them apart.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dick Burglar posted:

I only know the Crab had some boats because the Mantis are dicks and attacked them. No idea if anybody else has anything.

Not just boats: Korean-style Turtle Boats.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I finally ordered the corebook and I'd love to get to play the new edition to get a feel for it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lol we're doing this again, this is hilarious.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

EverettLO posted:

And it worked so well last time, what with it being considered the worst run of books in the history of the RPG and literally no one I've ever heard of having gotten drawn into L5R through them.

You're gonna laugh, but I know of two.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

4E isn't terrible. If you prefer that style of game to the FFG version it's perfectly playeable.

Especially compared to previous editions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I remember the d20 glut years, and they weren't great folks!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I only played ffg l5r once and I thought it was pretty good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Isn’t advantage in dnd 5e just roll and keep when you think about it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm never running L5R with dnd, but I might try to use a L5R class in another dnd game if I cna convince the gm.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

No Forest-Killers material? Sad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

They get a sidebar about what their deal is and it's ironic that the only thing they're actually wanted for is poaching on Imperial lands. The murder and theft nobody really cares about officially.

Nice!

Lol in 4e they had by far the best Ronin technique.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Could be a vampire survivors-like.

Personally I'd do a 8 or 16-bit style jrpg inspired by the SaGa series about gathering the 7 Thunders and fighting Fu Leng.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

HidaO-Win posted:

We indeed will now have a 4th L5R continuity.

They'll end up crisising at this rate.

Remember when Daidoji Uji came back from an alternate timeline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Clan War is the best time period, so it's no surprise they are going back to that well. It's a good well!

I prefer Four Winds.