Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
You forgot to tell me which clan is which Game of Thrones house. -7/10

This is certainly the salty-est OP I've ever read for something that should be promoting the game.

Should I buy into the CCG that gouges me for those valuable rare cards or the RPG that's pissing people off by using a non-standard dice system. Maybe I should wait and see what you write about Battle for Rokugan when you can actually think...decisions.

In conclusion this OP is biased, ill informed, represents minority opinions and lacks substantial information about the games and world. It's exactly what I would expect out of an old hardcore AEG L5R player. Keep those blinders on and may the design team favor your clan.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

alansmithee posted:

Lannister=crane/scorpion
Greyjoy=mantis
Martell=unicorn
Stark=crab
Bara=lion
Targ=phoenix
Arryn=dragon

Also I largely agree with your thoughts on the OP. as someone who played the original I'm more than happy to no longer have to pay $60+ for a play set of key cards. For any actual card game 100 for a full set with some extras is a great deal

I came to L5R from M:tG so I just expected to pay the prices I did, not knowing any better.

$60 for a playset of Storm Heart
$40 for a playset of Show of Good Faith
$80 for a playset of Prayers and Blessings

Disagree with your assessment of the GoT houses but I was making a dumb joke so I don't want go into it further.

Also now we get to pay $60 for swag promos but at least they're just alt art.

Yawgmoth posted:

It's pretty indicative of like 90% of the player base from what I've experienced so from that angle it's pretty useful.

I'd love to find a group to play L5R 4e with that would be properly down to houseruling the problems the system has out (or at least mitigating them) and also be interested in having characters who want to actually do poo poo instead of RPing Samurai Barbie's Tea Party every session while NPCs handle the oni rampaging through the countryside and the kolat plotting yet another assassination of the emperor, etc.

...not that I'm bitter from a string of unfortunate groups or anything.

Yeah, he mentions people liked the L5R 4E RPG but I never met anyone who did. It was received almost as poorly as the D&D 4th Ed, except that L5R players were a lot more forgiving about it because god forbid they ever bit the hand that fed them. Though I guess ironically AEG did finally end up stop making L5R so...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The gripe about the 3 Cores thing is never that you have to buy 3 of them, it's that in having to buy 3 you end up having all these extra cards for clans you won't use(except you will use some of them because of influence but whatever).

People have the most rose colored glasses of the old game, or CCGs in general of that one time they opened 1 of the rares they needed for a playset and managed to trade for the other two, meaning they got their deck built for one arc, only buying ~$30 worth of boosters. Most people I knew invested in booster boxes, so when a new Stronghold came out, they ended up paying over $100USD just to get a piece of what they needed to play and hoping that they can trade/resell cards in order to fill out their playsets. I was the type of guy that wanted a playset of everything and it was just ridiculous to try in L5R.

Some of the earlier LCGs had better gripes about the amount of 'wasted' product they're buying but it's really gotten a lot better and by having L5R be almost totally 1-offs makes is easily the best use of the 3 core model thus far.

Also LOL at you being angry at them going quiet. It's been almost 3 months since Star Wars LCG had an update. Just wait for the bloom to fall off the rose for FFG and come back to me in 5 years when FFG doesn't even include upcoming releases in their State of the Game address.

edit: You also failed to mention the argument over "Utz/Banzai".

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 6, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

FFG just canned it and I couldn't be happier.

Indeed, the new chant for anyone that missed it:

Rokugan Chant

Leaders: For Honor!
Competitors: Honor!
Leaders: For Glory!
Competitors: Glory!
Leaders: For Rokugan!
Competitors: Rokugan!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

is ritual chanting at tournaments really a thing the potential playerbase demands

I like the chanting because 1) it was amusing to think that Magic players were somehow intimidated by a vocal group of non-M:tG players, but really 2) it was part and parcel of the whole package that was the L5R experience.

Other key elements of the L5R experience included:

Sitting across from a fat neck beard who knew all the lore and explained the lore motivations behind the card choices he made in his deck; it always ended with a story about 'the good old days when the game was pure'.

Not getting the trades you needed and having to go find Yasuki Jeremy before the trade began and paying his hiked up prices so you could finish your deck, then selling him all the outdated, unopened product you got afterwards so you could have money to hit up a Denny's or whatever was still open at 2am. Last tournament I was at when I was getting out of the game, he took my poo poo rare binder off me for like $100, which I then spent on buying a couple prints from Malcolm McClintock(he did not have Traveling Ronin which was the one I wanted) along with a large painting he did that was a piece of rejected art for Warlord which was a Gandalf Looking Wizard getting kicked in the groin by a young female apprentice looking character; my friends and I called it 'Counterspell'.

Back to the chanting, it's a fun part of the community aspect of the game, it makes some people uncomfortable but whatever, normally I'm pretty accepting which is why I didn't bother weighing in on the culturally insensitive part of it, but as suspected I think a number of players were just made uncomfortable by being a part of anything that brings attention to them and crying 'offensive' to get the chanting banned was the real goal. There's still plenty of poo poo in the game itself that people should be complaining about but aren't as vocal so whatever...

At the end of the day I guess my position is that I could really take or leave the chanting but the people who are vocally against it bias me more towards being pro-chanting simply because I don't want to be associated with them.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the LCG model is generally quite good, that's why it's weird and frustrating that they handle the coresets this way

:yikes:

Of course after I say that I see that Kempy Nezumi moron is firmly prominent in the pro-chant side, so I guess it's back to the middle for me.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

Are we supposed to know who "Kempy Nezumi" is? I love how years after they canned it, there lingers a incestuous community of weirdos who all hate each other and bicker about absolutely nothing.

If you follow the FB group at all you'll see him post all over the place. He first caught my radar as a guy that went out of his way to post about how the game was dead and the new FFG game was going to be garbage long before we ever saw a thing about it beyond the initial press release saying they were remaking it. I have no idea who he is in real life.

The only L5R personality I think I could really remember, aside from Yasuki Jeremy, was Jeff Alexander, one of the rules guys. The only reason I really remember him is that I played against him in one of my later Koteis when I had a grasp on what I was doing and destroyed him. I recall he came in like the bottom 2-3 players out of 40. I would have bet that he was there just losing on purpose since he was a rules team guy but having played him, I can say, he was not good at the game when I played him.

Also the problem you describe here wasn't limited to L5R, Doomtown, original and Reloaded, had the same insular community.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 7, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It's more forgiving than the previous game though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

BTW, that's the one sad thing about FFG compared to the old CCG: AEG kind of threw poo poo at the walls and didn't even bother to see if it stuck before throwing something else. That led to a lot of really stupid, fun archetypes, like pirate raid Mantis, the old Ninja stronghold, etc that I don't think we'll see in a more structured game.

Different designer but the Netrunner 'Caissa' was pretty interesting and different in terms of design.

The last couple Star Wars LCG cycles have also added in different types of mechanics.

I think it really comes down to where the designers want to take the game. In some games they really like to play it close to the core and not introduce a lot of cards that don't function like other cards, and in other games the designers want to completely flesh out every aspect of the core design before they move on.

Also don't forget that for every mechanic they made that turned into something good and fun, there was one that was either broken as gently caress and completely unbalanced the game, or one was that absolute garbage: I'm looking at you Ninjitsu!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

3 core sets is the entire playset and costs about the same as a single box of magic cards, so that doesn't seem overly onerous.

And there doesn't seem to be a way to win here, Netrunner had more than 1 card per core and people got super pissed at all the extras they ended up with at 3 cores.

Unless people just expect that a single core will include a full playset of 600 cards or so for 40 bucks, in which case, they're insane.

Charging $100 USD for the initial buyin to get a full playset of everything is really not that bad if you come from a M:tG or other collectible card game background.

However a lot of people still just view FFG as a board game company that happens to also make deep, complex, card games. As such they want to cater their product to the casual board game crowd that doesn't mind dropping $30-$40 on a single game that they place once or twice and then toss on the stack. I obviously don't have any numbers but I really would love to somehow find out how many people only ever just buy a single core. I have a friend that practically collects board games and he's bought of their games but I think even he dives in with multiple cores as he gave me two core sets of LotR that he didn't want and couldn't get rid of.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I also hope the shadowlands never become a prominent role in the card game or the LCG.

Using Game of Thrones as an analogy; court intrigue doesn't balance well with society ending situations. There's a strong sentiment that the end of Thrones is getting too fantasy and overly good vs evil, or amoral would be more appropriate, where as everyone liked the shades of grey characters plotting and jockeying for position.

Similarly in L5R the best part of the game is the bickering and fighting amongst the clans. Having to see them all band together to fight off Godzilla-no-oni would be boring and totally interrupt the storylines that draw a lot of people to the game.

If they want to bring Spider back as a clan I'd rather see them do it in a way that feels natural this time. Not 'there was a vote; now we need to write a story to get them into being a clan asap'.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Aramoro posted:

The problem with that to an extent is that Shadowland's taint itself is also a creeping insidious evil, along with the Kolat if they bring them back and the Scorpion if you're one of the 6 other clans. You end up with too many creeping insidious evils. For a faction to work in the game it has to come from within the system of the great clans or why would they give a poo poo about your court games. They've got a lot of mileage with the three man alliance and tainting of great clans to go through first I think.

Exactly why I don't want to see Shadowlands back. Who cares about shades of grey, when there's a whole group of paint it black monsters marching on the wall.

And again with Game of Thrones being so popular, any story they tell about that will be seen as derivative(even if it already was), and unoriginal. The wall exists to keep the goblins from stumbing into farms and that's it. Maybe at some point down the line when they need a break they can toss in a Godzilla no Oni story, but I want that like 5 cycles from now after we've have a half dozen clan wars and a lot of characters have been fleshed out.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

My favorite is the guy who killed the Dragon champion in the last tournament for $1,500? to fix his car. It was the last tournament too so it ended up being win win for that guy.

I miss bounties. I'm pretty sure that won't be allowed by FFG, as they probably shouldn't be.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Cinnamon Bear posted:

They did something similar with one of the Star Wars LCG big box sets

They did and it was panned. It also introduced 2v2 rules that was ignored by pretty much everyone except one guy from Team Covenant. To be fair they introduced it as the 2nd deluxe so it was at a time when players wanted more cards for their decks and it gave each faction a single 1-off pod that could be played in standard 1v1 games. The challenge decks should have been a Print on Demand set and there should have been a ton more multiplayer pods in the box.

The "challenge deck" idea is great in theory but it would do gently caress all to placate Shadowlands players who want to see their faction represented in tournaments and such.

I would much rather just see a type of "agenda" to use a Game of Thrones LCG term, Wind or Sensei that corrupted a faction and allowed it to run neutral Shadowlands cards that would normally cause an honor hit, without suffering the honor hit but in term forbid you from winning by honor or made it so your personalities could never be have honored status.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Im not sure "having part of the setting exist" counts as a story beat

I'm fine with them existing but their storylines don't mesh well with the themes of politics, intrigue, and clan warfare that make up the bulk of the game.

I mean gently caress there's a ton of Ratling fans and they sure as poo poo shouldn't bring that faction back.

I'll certainly admit to some bias as an old Scorpion player who played dishonor decks and ran into Shadowlands and it was just dumb because it was pretty much auto-lose unless I was playing a switch deck that could go military. It was a lovely element of the game that was only ever tolerated because playing dishonor was like playing a blue M:tG deck; no fun for most people even if there was a ton of interaction.

So yeah, add them in but don't make them a focus of the storyline for a long time, and if you add them to the LCG then do it in a passive way that doesn't detract from the rest of the game and plays in a somewhat similar fashion.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

zeal posted:

ain't never played any of the games for this franchise but i read some of the novels as a lad, and the scorpion coup was a great story. bayushi shoju was right

Giving him a sword that corrupted him was basically an out to all the other clans so they could go 'See, he was evil!'

Pretty much the entire L5R storyline is no clan every being able to truly accomplish anything great because as soon as one starts to rise above the pack, the hands of the masses reach out to drag them back to the level of mediocrity that most rest at.

Yeah, I voted for the Khan to take over too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alansmithee posted:

And to get totally away from story stuff, looks like FFG just announced that they're doing a pack a week for the first cycle. This is something I've advocated for a bunch and I'm really glad to see them doing it (assuming it doesn't mean a 6 month gap until the next cycle starts or w/e). I know they've been actively playtesting a bunch of new stuff, so it's good seeing they're pushing it out. Getting more cards into the ecosystem is great for making sure these games take hold imo, as due to how they set up factions your choices for deckbuilding from even 3 core are still typically limited to all your clan stuff + a handful of splash.

I think it's great, though I would have preferred a trio of Deluxe boxes, one a month instead as: a) I don't, for a second, believe that FFG can actually ship a new pack a week, and b) it allows for a meta to be established, played in, then shift and as such you can build a tournament more easily around knowing what product will be available.

Either way, despite having shipping issues to get everything to me. I'm glad that we'll see a deeper card pool faster. The core set feel extremely shallow to me.

I had originally written about how much you could really see the effects of confirmation bias in the L5R player base as people would be loyal to the death to defend even the most obvious and well founded criticism of their clan, and the player base took this to another level defending AEG and the design team.

This is good too though, real good.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 11, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It occurs to me that the release schedule would have everything out by Christmas which means players could take advantage of black friday sales to grab some of the packs, put them on Christmas wish lists, or even purchase with any holiday gift certificates they get. So while people will balk at the $90 price tag, it comes at a time when there will be discounts on that, and others could purchase the items for you. Since everything hits post World's there won't be any major tournaments for a while, and most local scenes probably won't be running major events during the holiday season because it's such a crazy time for most.

Some of those cards are crazy good.

The Dragon Attachment, the Unicorn event, and the Crane event immediately jump out at me as being super strong.

The Unicorn event has fantastic synergy with the Crab attachment as well, so Unicorn better choose Seeker. I think it's a shame that they divided the roles into Offensive/Defensive though. Seeker already seemed weaker to me because you have a lot more options with 3 more influence, and I think people's natural disposition is to play offensively.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 11, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Yes, they're full playsets.

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't read the short stories because they're bad, but I did notice the quotation from the one with Shoju saying "you aren't suggesting I could be Emperor, are you?" to some clown. Are they totally loving with us or is the Coup gonna happen again? I think it's gonna happen again.

They're hinting at it, but I don't think we'll find out what's actually going down until Winter Court.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 11, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Well that is something at least. This is going to make my fencesitting friends even more skeptical though, that's a big initial purchase

People keep using this phrase talking about the new packs. They won't all be released until around Christmas time. Realistically they won't be available for three months. Wait on the first couple packs, then order them all cheap on Black Friday. Or wait until after the New Year and order them in post-Christmas sales. Or wait and see what's in each pack then just pick and choose.

You don't even need to buy them all unless you're planning on attending tournaments regularly of which there probably won't be many; as of now the only Koteis are in @ PAX in Philly, and the other one is in Spain. The PAX tournament would only have 1 pack potentially available to play in it.

This is not an additional cost to play the game and if you play a single clan you're getting 12 new cards across all the packs just for your clan. You can easily pick and choose because I guarantee you won't use them all(because there are Seeker/Keeper cards :P).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It's not changing the price though. It's just accelerating the time frame of when you'd want to purchase it. Realistically, it's adding an extra $30 a month fr two months which really shouldn't be stretching the wallet for people who are in this hobby. If you're in the game competitively that's practically nothing if you're actually having to travel to tournaments and book hotel rooms.

Lightning Lord posted:

Have you seen the price of Magic???

Or Destiny, or the Final Fantasy CCG.

And the majority of the players bitching aren't even the hardcore tournament players. I'd wager most of these knobs on Facebook can barely maintain a weekly commitment to play at their local store and are just sore about not being able to have a full collection at arm's length. As a friend commented it's Pokemon syndrome: gotta catch 'em all even if you don't use most of them.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 11, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Wow, seriously? What drives this? An overpowering desire to avoid cards that ever rotate?

LCGs occupy this niche between card games like Magic which boast a player base that's extremely competitive and board games which are by and large made up of a much more casual audience.

This is the whole reason that we have the core set pricing and buyin scheme because the sub $40 price tag is exactly targeted at the board game crowd that will buy into the hype and not have to sacrifice purchasing many other products to give it a go. If for example the price tag was $100USD then board gamers would be put off because they could buy 2-3 games for the price of that one.

To further this, largely thanks to Kickstarter, but also due to things like the Dice Tower/Sit Down Shut Up/etc. The hype train on these games goes out of control and players that don't even particularly like what they're buying are doing so in order to keep up with the Joneses. Thus FFG, and L5R, can profit from that as well. For reference you can also look at how many people buy product at Gencon that they have no idea what it's about, and in this instance how many core sets of L5R were bought by people who could have cared less about the tournament. I'd guess less than 20% of people that bought L5R at Gencon were competitive players, while many more just heard about it via word of mouth and wanted in.

The fact that the cards are fixed means that there's no randomization or rarity that players need to worry about, so if you buy a copy and I buy a copy: I don't need to learn new cards if I go to your house and you want to play. The fact that these games are built around being able to customize and choose the cards that go into your deck doesn't matter to a lot of people as they walk in expecting to just be able to run the Core decks against one another forever in a balanced environment.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 12, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Aramoro posted:

I mean yeah if 'poors get out' is what you want in your game then it's fine. Right now you simply cannot build a fun deck from a single core, just impossible. So that's off putting for people not already invested in the game. Try to think about someone swithering over if they should get into the game or not, 3 cores is pretty much non negotiable to build a fun deck maybe 2 if you're prepared to compromise. So now it looks like it's a $200 buy in to start playing the game properly. Now that's nothing to a CCG nerd but if there were enough CCG nerds playing L5R already then it wouldn't have died in the first place.

All it does is give a greater impression that the cores are incomplete. It's not really 6 extra packs, it's a 360 card second part of the base set. Usually places run tourney once a month or something so it's not as if there will be an evolving meta with the packs, splitting them out is just weird.

Like I say maybe it's fine, but I thin it's a risk that they'll put people off. Doesn't make much difference to me as I'll buy it anyway, I just hope they don't kill it before it really starts to get going.

Anyone who's played with the Cores can see it's a very shallow experience if you just play 1 clan.

Also if you go to game night and play competitive, unless you have some real assholes in your group, there's no reason why you couldn't expect them to let you borrow the cards you needed to play in a tournament. poo poo, the first L5R tournament I ever went to I had over $100 of rares from other people in my deck that I had been lent by people who barely knew me for a month.

And if you don't play competitively then who cares when you purchase the other packs. If you still want to just roll down to a store, print proxies of whatever you're running in your deck. If people poor shame you because you can't afford the cards then gently caress them. Most competitive players I know have dozens of cards proxied across their decks anyway.

Chill la Chill posted:

It's still funny to me that the hype train for destiny was less than a year ago and now there's L5R to replace it.

I occasionally watch Team Covenant vlogs and there was one where they have a viewer question: "Is Destiny dead?" and the host gave this ponderous sigh and thought for a moment before answering "...no..."

Once that hype train slows down, people act like the game is dead. Same thing happened with Star Wars LCG; as far as a lot of players are concerned that game is dead because nobody they know plays it.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 12, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

adhuin posted:

Doomtown Reloaded did exactly this:

Doomtown was a revival of a game that had been dead for a decade and had a fairly small player base when it was active. As you noted you needed a second box for a full playset and we'll have to agree to disagree that you could full get the feel for a faction based on a single DTR core.

L5R was at one time the 2nd most popular CCG behind Magic and the idea of Clan Loyalty was what put them on the map and distinguished them from other games.

Could they have cut down and added in faction later as they have done with other games? Yes, but as we were just talking about the other day there's plenty of salty Shadowlands/Spider players that are pissed their faction didn't come in straight away; and that's not to mention the Mantis.

If you just want to test the game and see if it's for you then 1 core is exactly what you want. Not having a legal deck doesn't change the rules or the flow of the game, it simply streamlines the decks into more efficient versions of what they can do. The difference between 3 core and 1 core decks is pretty much the same as the difference between someone playing with a starter deck and a couple boosters and someone with a full playset of every card in the previous CCG. Magic figured out that was pretty terrible a long time ago and started putting out their preconstructed decks so that a player jumping in could have a more streamlined and efficient deck, but even those are still miles away from competitive decks.

The only games where you have all the options available from the get go are games with much smaller card pools and that are more interesting in being a complete game out of a single product; like Ashes or Codex. With any competitive card game that has an expanding card pool, the cost to buy-in with a full playset is going to be high.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: You know what would be nice, actually? A "Core Completion Set" or something. No cardboard tokens or other fiddly bits, just 1-2 each of the cards there isn't already a set of three of in the core set. Then you could have the core set as an entry point, and people who want to get more into the game and play with people other than others just using core decks buy that set to round things out before picking up the expansion packs. Bam, smaller barrier to entry that will probably sell better and be cheaper to make because all the extra pieces aren't needed and stuff.

The problem with this is that you're adding another product to the marketplace that a) confuses consumers, and b) pisses off retailers who have to gamble on how much to order.

Mage Wars went that route and it wasn't particularly successful. And you're really not saving that much money as a consumer as the price point for a "Core Completion"(CC) set would be fairly expensive. Your CC would contain 464 cards, which is a second copy of all the province cards, conflict cards and dynasty cards. Deluxe expansions MSRP for $30 and contain 155 cards(.19/card), while packs contain 60 and are $15(.25/card). Lets be generous and say that they sold the CC for .15/card, you'd be looking at a $70. Congrats consumer you just saved $10. Is that really worth it for them to have to go through the production of having to create a separate product listing and packaging?

You're looking at this with the 'I want to play X deck and nothing else' mentality. They didn't just arbitrarily choose this production scheme. Core sets provide a large variety of cards that allow players to experience what each faction can do at a price point that's reasonable for casual gamers to speculate on.

They previously had greater quantities of certain cards in the core set, see Netrunner, and that really led to 'wasted' cards. They refined the distribution more with aGoT2e and I consider L5R to be the optimum in that everything for clans is x1 with the neutrals being x2. That means that as you buy x3 cores, you can build decks easier.

The Magic comparison was to illustrate that you can't put out a product that has an entry level price that's also expected to be competitive if the basis of your game is an expanding card pool.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 13, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Thank you for putting in the time to write that all out, by the way. I appreciate your explanation and stuff. Sorry for being a bit rude earlier. $120 is still a high price point and has its disadvantages, but that does make more sense now, and as you say at least they're really mitigating the drawbacks of it this time around. I'll have to see if I can find someone else who's willing to share costs for this, meanwhile.

You're not being rude, it's just that this argument has been going on in the LCG thread for years. I, myself, once advocated for CCs but when you do the math you wouldn't end up saving consumers enough to justify all the other costs that would go into making them. If you look at it from the perspective of retailers and FFG, they're really providing you the consumer a good value, and from the consumer standpoint it's really not reasonable to expect a company to create an entirely separate product so I can save $10 and not have what I consider to be 'extraneous' product. I put that in single quotes because there's only no value in the tokens/cards if you toss them in a box and never use them.

With Netrunner, I took a bunch of the extra faction cards, and used them to make demo decks and donated them to my local store. I tossed all my extra tokens in a bag and left them at the store for tournaments and demoing.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 13, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Aramoro posted:

It's a special format, literally designed for release. Good luck finding a tourney that will allow you to run a 30/30 single core deck against everyone else's 40/40 decks. Even if you do you'll get absolutely pumped. You're not seriously suggesting the Out the Box Play section of the deck building section makes them normal legal decks are you?

The argument is that other games have entry level deck building formats for release events, in which you can build a deck that's not legal in other formats. There's nothing stopping you from showing up at a casual play Magic session with a deck built from a booster draft but that doesn't mean your deck will be legal to play in constructed tournaments or competitive against other decks. However plenty of stores run Magic leagues where you can keep bringing back your sealed deck because that's the point.

In the early days of the release of an LCG it's not uncommon for stores to run 1 core tournaments for a couple months to allow all the players to get access to the cards.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

Is there a good card database for the CCG, like Gatherer or Magiccards.info? I'd like to look at some old cards for the hell of it

All the cards that were ever printed...probably.

http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Aramoro posted:

30/30 is not a legal deck for any reasonable assessment of whats legal. Its the release format which will be played exactly once because its bad. It's legal in a format that no one is going to play so how does it matter that its legal in that context. There will never be another tournament here for single core in all likelihood. So you've got all these players with a single core you can not play in even a casual local tournament with what they've got. I see that as bad for the game, you should be able to buy a starter and play the game which you cannot really do.

FFG have made a good game but trying to defend the distribution is ludicrous. It does not encourage new players into the game which is what they need to so.

I get your point that you can't build a legal 40/40 deck from a single core, but disagree with you about the bolded statement. A single core is literally meant to give players a jumping off point into the game, no different than FNM booster drafts are meant to be cheap ways to get new players into Magic. Neither gives new players a viable card base for constructed tournament play, but both serve as cheaper entry points to give the player a chance to get into the game without investing heavily and in a format where the distribution of cards is more favorable to inexperienced players.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Aramoro posted:

I get that its a jumping off point but even with Magic you could always buy a preconstructed and go play a regular tournament with that if you fancied.

Im really talking about the impression it gives people thinking about playing the game. Single core games are not that fun and no one is going to willing play them that often. So you're left telling people 'yeah your single core sucked and the game wasn't that much fun but just spend another 70 bucks and you'll be fine' on top of that youre basically excluded from all the local tournaments. Even at casual nights here everyones playing 40/40. If they had made it so you could build a legal 40/40 deck out of the core then the guy can still go along and play, he won't do well but he can at least play.

What's stopping you from going and then borrowing cards to participate in tournaments?

What's stopping you from making proxies to play casual games?

If you're going to make the effort to go out and play at a store with people then I'd say it's a 90% probability that you know what the scene is about.

If you're wanting to go make the effort to play beyond you kitchen table, 1 core isn't targeted at you.

1 Core is meant for the very casual crowd to dip their toe in the water, buy with their friends or spouse to play behind closed doors in the privacy of their home. It's not meant for people who want to play at their local store and are even remotely interested in finding a play group.

SirFozzie posted:

One thing I don't like about the Six Packs in Six weeks, is well, the subscription service I use sends the packs Priority Mail, so it looks like I'll be cranking out an extra $50 in shipping alone :P Hopefully they offer more budget-friendly options.

That definitely sucks, are you using the Team Covenant subscriptions or another place? Did you contact them to see if there's a cheaper option or if it would be possible to do a hold and get them sent in 3 week chunks?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

It's fine for casual play. I think you guys are really overestimating that audience. We're talking about people that have a hard time following how to play Dominion. L5R is already pretty complicated for them, if you forced them into deckbuilding beyond "take cards X and Y and shuffle together" they'd check out because it's too complicated.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

How many people who find the game that complicated would even try to get into L5R in the first place? Genuinely curious. It doesn't seem like people who aren't interested in learning a weird card game are the target audience for a card game that takes $40+ dollars to break into, outside of maybe little kids who think the game sounds cool/want to play what their older siblings play (i.e. my little brothers, who got into the GoT card game for a little while through me).

See there you go using terms like 'break into'. These people don't do research on the game. It simply shows up on the BGG hotness list, or a popular product list, or they saw a lot of people posting about, etc. These are people that walked by the booth at Gencon, went 'Wow, Samurai game that looks cool. Take my money!'

Anyone who's even remotely interested to 'get into' the game will have done a bit of research online, joined the Facebook/Reddit chat, read about the game on BGG or FFG's own website, and immediately seen what you need to jump into the game proper is 3 core sets. If they were turned off by that and decided to not jump into the game, then fair enough it didn't hook them. The fact that every LCG does it's best sales in Core Sets, and actually expansions for board games in general, should tell you that a lot of people will just grab something because of the hype train, play it one time, and then let it sit on their shelf for the rest of their days.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

So, I think you're extrapolating more from that particular data point than you should.

I'm just going on numbers I heard retailers batting around online, which range from 70% to 85% of their sales of an LCG being in cores. So it's a fairly overwhelming amount. If you assume that everyone who buys 3 Cores will buy the first cycle and a deluxe then those sales should be a lot closer. The fact that they aren't suggests that either people are buying 3 cores of these games and then not buying into it any further or there's a large amount of people buying only a single core.

You are right, there's certainly a lot of speculation and room for variance outside that. FFG doesn't release it's figures so we won't ever know for certain unless someone hacks them and posts their sales records online.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I mean if I were in charge of the thing, I'd have done it this way:

Core box has the rules, 2 well balanced decks to smash together (make it a fiction like the old L5R special sets, IE Battle at Beiden Pass), tokens, etc. Also contains all the universal cards, and cards of the two featured clans in a playset, so people will want to buy it.

Next 5 expansions in 5 weeks are the other 5 clans. Week 6 is your first mixed bag expansion.

There's no incentive for them to give players the option to straight up ignore the other factions, and you're creating 5 extra products. If you're a player that just wants to play 1 faction and gently caress the other factions sure, that's a great idea. As a retailer the gently caress you'd want to go through the hassle of having to stock 6 separate products that you have no idea which ones will sell and which ones won't. On top of which anyone who came in and wanted to play would have to buy the first one so you'd have to carry extra of those, of course if you didn't want to play one of those two factions you'd be pissed that you have to buy 2 products while players from those clans only have to buy one.

Doomtown Reloaded was a full experience, minus the customization/options bit, but no one is actually complaining about that

DTR = 286 cards spread across 4 factions with a tournament legal deck size of 53 cards counting your faction card.

L5R = 247 cards spread across 7 factions with a tournament legal deck size of 86 cards including provinces and faction card.

One of these is a lot easier to make work than the other. DTR got rid of the old factions and rebooted the game so many years after it had died that they were probably lucky people remembered it enough to go out and buy it. L5R LCG was made official the minute the old game died, and you still had the same player base and built in loyal clan followers. They pissed off plenty of people by cutting Mantis and Shadowlands, but they decided that they need to cut them probably for a combination of space, story, and balance reasons. Obviously they felt that cutting more was detrimental to the health of the game so they didn't.

Like for $40 you should be able to make 2 decks in a universal format. They don't have to be good decks, but they should give you a good feel for how the game plays.

The fact people are defending a company for the audacity of making a lovely, "less than" format rather than meeting that bare minimum standard is depressing as hell.

The core set does give you a feel for how the game plays. You're literally just using fewer cards than normal. You don't use any different rules other than for deck building. A single core is meant to be a hook to get you to go buy more product. I will defend the company because they're entitled to make a profit selling their game and getting people to buy more product. They're under no obligation to make their product so cheap that you can ignore some of it, or pick and choose what content you buy from them. They have a model that they've stuck with for 7 games now. If the model wasn't profitable or efficient they wouldn't use it. If you don't like the model then fine, don't buy into it. Don't support it if you're that enraged that this company is twisting your arm to buy a 2nd Core to make decks that you can play in tournaments.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Similar question, I'm still looking to possibly get into the LCG if I can find someone to split the cost with, and I'm most interested in Phoenix, Crab, and Dragon. Any tips there? I understand the Dragon are really strong, but the other two I've heard mixed things on.

Dragon and Crab seem to be around the middle, Unicorn and Phoenix are on the bottom, and the other three are the strongest.

It's a somewhat bias reporting because there haven't been a lot of Lion or Unicorn players but when there have been, that's where they seem to end up. I wouldn't put too much stock into the group think of any L5R mentality like that, but I do agree that Unicorn and Phoenix are probably the weakest at the moment.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You are in a vocal minority, that has been present in every LCG they've made. Their model hasn't hindered the growth of any of those games because the overwhelming majority of players have either accepted it, or worked around it (sharing cores with friends, or buying faction packs from places like Team Covenant). They have found a model that services both their long term and short term audiences and they've stuck with it and improved it with each passing year.

Sorry, it doesn't work for you but most people like it or are willing to accept it without much fuss beyond grumbling about their wallet taking a hit. Yes, it's not perfect for the middle class player, but the semi-competitive players aren't where they get their business. A lot of companies market their products on an inverse bell curve and FFG clearly does too. Sucks that you fall into that shallow valley of players that want to get in cheaply while still being competitive but you are not where they get their sales from and the valley is thin enough that most people shift into one of the two peaks and not remove themselves from the chart.

The fact is it's a dead issue. FFG isn't going to change because it works for them and the game has been released using it. I have explained to you their reasons for using it and why it works for them, and for retailers, and for the community at large.

FFG is not a perfect company and if/when L5R dies, I can guarantee you it will be for reasons other than the Core set.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 14, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, I attended my FLGS's L5R tourney today, hoping to learn a little and see how popular it is in the area. Tourney wasn't big, but apparently the game's selling very well. Tourney was an only one core one (two decks of thirty, can use influence and roles, but can only use the cards from one core set), and I'm heading to a game night with friends, so I impulse bought one core set to play with and see about selling a friend on the game later tonight.

Tournament was three rounds and you had to use a different clan each round. Round one I had a bye and the tournament organizer played me to help me brush up on the rules. I used the recommended Phoenix/Dragon deck versus his three core Dragon deck, and predictably lost (or would have but the next round came before we finished). Second round, I used the same deck and had a mirror match, and lost. Third, I used the recommended Crab/Scorpion deck, versus a Unicorn/Crab player, and actually won.

Didn't make the top three, unsurprisingly, but it was still fun. And I got a promo Imperial Favor, Scorpion champion dude, and Hida Kisada, so that's pretty cool.

Sounds like you had at least 5 other players to play with at the store, so that's not too bad. Good luck selling your friend on the game.

I went to a game con today and bought my second and third cores so i am officially part of the problem now.

Grats. How was the showing at the Con? Was there an event?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Bussamove posted:

You absolutely can. There's specific FAQ regarding Way of the Crab and everything.

This is correct. When playing against Crab you always want to lead with a chump that you haven't invested in.

Way of the Crab is my favorite card that I wish was Scorpion.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Deviant posted:

Unicorn. 3 Captive Audience, 2 spyglass.

I like to splash Dragon into my Unicorn: 2 Tattooed Wanderer, 2 Let Go, and 2 Indomitable Will.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Azran posted:

Spanish. "Caca" is a really common vulgar (yet not offensive, unlike 'mierda') way of referring to fecal matter, kinda like "poo". "Caquita", the diminituve form of caca, sounds just like "Kakita" (qu in Spanish is pronounced like a "k" sound). "Cacota" would mean "big poo poo".

Tangent:

I live in Taiwan and one of the popular board game store chains here is called CaCa City, based off the first syllable pair of how locals(who speak Chinese) say the popular board game Carcasonne; dropping the 'r' because people here struggle with that sound. Needless to say, it always gets a laugh and a strange look from new people who arrive on the island and are invited to play a board game there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

If you build specifically around dishonor then it's not too hard to do in most cases. Controlling the Ring of Air is where it's at because other than that, there aren't many ways of gaining honor.

Display of Power, is a great splash because it ensures that if you opponent goes first, you can still deny them the Ring of Air should they choose to go after it.

Watch Commanders in Crab are also good but I typically find that you need to have some advantage already and draw out the battle for it to be effective. Better in a switch deck than straight dishonor in my opinion.
I also like Levy from Crab. In the early game it's going to snag you extra honor and in the late game it will snag you extra fate or honor depending on when you play it.

Tattooed Wandered is also not a bad splash as you can snag an extra dishonor for unopposed stealthing around a solo defender.