Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I could swear I remember reading in the 4E book that Scorpion peasants are basically the best-treated and happiest of any clan's peasants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Hahaha about this: my best friend was one of these people, and even though he didn't wear it to EVERY tournament, he played Scorpion and had some courtier getup, with fan included.

One year he wore it to Gencon and wound up on one of those Buzzfeed "Worst cosplay ever" lists. We mocked him for months after it.

Post a picture.

Like right now.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Where does this term come from?

Reference to the Simpsons character of Ned Flanders, who started out as a nice neighbor who happened to be Christian, but writers slowly turned him into a caricature of his basic character concepts, making him insanely nice and affable, and also insanely devout. Forgive the TV Tropes link.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

hahaha, he's my best friend. Ridicule among our local group is fine, I won't subject him to SA though

You suck rear end.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Wait, the Mantis aren't a great clan anymore? What happened to them? Did they just get demoted?

Who's gonna have the rear end in a top hat archers if I can't play a Tsuruchi Archer? :qq:

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 9, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The risk of innovation with an established brand is that your core audience, who have been with you for years, may flip poo poo because "it's not the same as the old one!!! :argh:"

Which sounds absurd (as it should), but their argument is that they've invested so much of their time and effort (lol) into learning the setting and its lore, and all of these changes are a slap in the face to their dedication!!!!

This is why D&D 4E was so maligned. It was way too different mechanically and it also took a poo poo on the Forgotten Realms setting, which nerds had spent literal decades learning the ins and outs of. In other news, gently caress the Forgotten Realms, gently caress Elminster, and gently caress Ed Greenwood and Mike Mearls.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 10, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think it's a really novel idea that L5R allows players to influence the course of history, but allowing weebs to make their OC Do Not Steal characters into official Mary Sues is really terrible and a severe detriment to the setting. Let them decide the outcome of a battle or something, not deify their stupid loving half-angel, half-demon, half-dragon character.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

My favorite is the guy who killed the Dragon champion in the last tournament for $1,500? to fix his car. It was the last tournament too so it ended up being win win for that guy.

Mantis, not Dragon.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Their deal was basically they were barely above peasants so everyone pretty much disliked them and ignored them, but secretly they did the dirty work for the Emperor that he couldn't be seen being involved with. And I guess that they couldn't trust the Scorpion with. Mainly they traded illegally overseas with Gaijin, but were also spying on them and spreading disinformation about Rokugan.

So... they're Scorpion under another name.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I don't know a lot about the L5R setting's "social rules" kind of thing and I figure this thread is probably the best place to ask: I want to know more about monks and their social rules/status/etc, especially Togashi monks. Also some info about tattoo stuff.

I know they're considered kind of outside of the caste system, and that they are not actually samurai, unlike pretty much any other Great Clan character you can make. As such, are they allowed to learn to use samurai-tagged weapons like the katana, or really any other weapons for that matter? It's kind of weird to think that the katana is considered strictly a "samurai" weapon when real life ashigaru carried them in battle (though admittedly they were not allowed to wear them outside of battle). Also, what about archery or wearing armor (which aren't unique to samurai, but are not considered very monk-like either)? Really, I'm curious if monks are allowed to do most things that bushi are allowed to do, minus carry a daisho and act like samurai.

In terms of Togashi monks in particular, is it possible to wear armor while using your tattoos? I know the 4E rules say the tattoos have to be uncovered, but can you for instance have tattoos on your arms and wear armor everywhere but your arms? Do the rules allow/account for that sort of thing? I'm guessing armor is an "all or nothing" thing where wearing armor basically negates any tattoos except maybe face tattoos, but I'm curious if there is a way. I ask because I ran across this guy in the L5R wiki and he's both a tattooed monk and a niten swordsman that wears partial armor. Dude is also totally "OC Do Not Steal" levels of Mary Sue, but that's not exactly uncommon in L5R.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Well, they have two horse-based abilities considering their Rank 6 one, which... Is even sillier than the school one really. It's kind of amazing:

The Shinjo Outrider is so goofy.

That's a great "mythical" power, though, you have to admit. Especially if you're indoors and your horse just comes barreling through a barricaded door or something. Or slams through a solid wall like the Juggernaut.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That sounds DISHONORABRU to me

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

Striking as Air scales to your opportunity, yeah, but something I noticed while looking at the die real early on is that it is substantially rare to get both a success and an opportunity - it only appears on the skill die, and it only appears once. Given how the roll + keep works, outside of Fire stance and it's ridiculous offense, that means taking opportunity can be a legit cost; if your enemy's TN is 3, and you have Ring 3, you literally cannot spend opportunity. Thus my statement that, later on, Striking as Air stays very useful for tanking, but starts to sap away at your offense, as you have to give up more and more hits (which can be used for extra damage) in exchange for opportunity to keep your defenses up.

I despise iaijutsu for it does close to nothing. You move two free movement bands at the start of your turn, and can add a third if you go to water stance. If they're still farther then that, you can always Charge. On top of that, iaijutsu's opportunity spending is hilarious, because it already just costs 1 opportunity to sheath your weapon. Iaijutsu actually makes that more expensive. And of course, you're adding +1 to your damage, but likewise losing that +2 to your deadliness, so your crits - the things Kakita are suposed to care about - are actually weaker.

And honestly, I like the Razor Sharp rules. It makes sure all bushi have more then one weapon and that those weapons get use. In ceremonial situations, of course, katana is best, because it's all you can really bring with you. But in an actual pitched battle, you've got the naginata as a great range 2 weapon, you've got the Crab weapons which are great at cracking armor, the zanbato is a fantastic all around workhorse weapon (and will probably be the favorite of many an Akodo Bushi) and of course there's the yumi and crossbow (at least for now when there's no reload rules) for range.

The razor-edged quality seems inconsistently applied. The katana, chokutō, wakizashi, and scimitar all have it. Those are all pretty straightforward: swords don't do well against armor. But the jian and dao don't have the razor-edged quality. Those are swords too--why wouldn't they be poor against armor and risk damage? I suspect the real reason is because they don't want people using iaijutsu with filthy gaijin blades (except scimitars are ok I guess). Then the knife does have it, which makes sense if we're talking about kitchen knives, but not with the thick-spined tanto: I know for a fact that daggers were used to stab through gaps in European medieval armor, and I'm pretty sure the tanto was used similarly in Feudal Japan, so it's pretty weird that knives are universally bad against armor.

It's equally weird when we talk about wargear: the zanbatō is a big fuckoff sword that doesn't have the razor-edge quality, and you can't argue that's to prevent it from being used with iaijutsu because it's innately two-handed so you can't wield it one-handed as iaijutsu requires. Fine, it's a big fuckoff sword that's used to hack at people, it's made sturdier to withstand wartime abuse. But then the naginata does have the razor-edge quality, so apparently you're not supposed to use a naginata in armored combat? What? At least they weren't dumb enough to put razor-edge on the yari, I guess?

I should note that I do like the idea of swords being bad against armor and risking damage--it's realistic and encourages the use of the setting's other weapons--it's just poorly applied.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 18, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So am I reading it correctly that right now monks are looking like more capable fighters than bushi due to low level kiho being way more potent than low level kata?

And of course shugenja are OP as gently caress but lol what else is new.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

but bmx bandit can pop wheelies all day, while angel summoner can only summon angels x times per day!!!! :downs:

(nevermind that once angel summoner runs out of summons the whole party will inevitably stop and rest. shhhhhh.)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Azran posted:

Completely unrelated but "Kakita" means "Little poo poo" in my language so that's going to make teaching the LCG an interesting experience :v:

What language is that? I want to know for future "talking poo poo about Crane" purposes.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Guys help, I want to play the RPG because I am a weeb but don't know anybody locally and don't know any online communities besides here that aren't terrible.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Pretty much all of the #7 skills are weird. Hurr durr crab clan are big angry strong mans so clearly a dissident would like pretty things lol!!! And dragons are apparently actually cats and don't like water.

Scorpion dissidents liking labor is especially odd. Of any samurai, I feel like a scorpion would be most likely to engage in peasant labor (except maybe a dragon), in order to blend in with peasants when they're doing the ninja thing. They probably won't be happy about it, but if you have no idea what you're doing you'll kinda stand out, which defeats the purpose.

Edit: especially since this is explicitly mentioned in the skill's description:

quote:

Con Approach (Air Ring): Overseeing others on a project effectively, covering over flaws in one’s work, disguising one sort of object as another, pretending to work.
(emphasis mine)

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 26, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yes. I know. They are nobles who don't want to do labor. I 100% understand that. However, the air ring application of the labor skill is to pretend to work, which is exactly what they do when they hide among peasants to assassinate someone. And the act of pretending to work while you wait to assassinate a dude, rules-as-written, requires the labor skill to pull off.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

alansmithee posted:

I don't think any of those things are really problems (well, arguably the clan assignments of virtues could use work but you're not gonna please everyone). They obviously want your clan/family allegiance and adherence to all the traditional bushido stuff (or at least a westernized version thereof) to actually matter (which this and the strife system would seem to indicate). They want Crane to behave as Crane, Crab as Crab, etc etc. An Akodo who favors compassion should be penalized in terms of honor because his clan looks down on that behavior, and other clans don't expect that from Akodo. It's seen as strange. Nobody really cares about Akodo John's personal beliefs and how he adheres to them. Your system basically invalidates the whole need of virtues since you just cherrypick whatever you want to do and basically eliminate any downside. I could see that being an option for ronin, but it's pretty clear that the designers want each clan to actually have a certain feel.

And nothing is stopping you from doing a compassionate Akodo or a Kaiu nerd. If they want that love-hate relationship you mention, well now it actually impacts them-they can favor what they want, but others will look down on them (less honor) because they're not doing what's expected. Under your idea there's no love-hate, it's just love-love. You either do what your clan likes, or do whatever you like and are rewarded either way. Your idea basically takes all the flavor out of the game (at least from a mechanical standpoint).

That said I'm still totally with you on the invocation thing.

Minor correction: clan adherents get more glory, not honor.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Baka gaikokujin westerners and their obsession with individuality :rolleyes: not acting like proper honorable Nihonjin :hai:

No but seriously, while I agree that playing a acting-totally-out-of-character-for-their-clan character is weird and sometimes dumb, I do like the option of being able to train in a skill not normally associated with your clan from the get-go. A dragon that likes sailing isn't necessarily a "gently caress all the dragon clan stand for" kind of guy, he just has an additional interest that extends beyond his clan's stereotypical ones, while also not forsaking the stereotypical ones.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 27, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I was just making a lovely joke. I edited in a serious comment after I posted. Honestly I think they should just bake in "you get one bonus skill from whatever. Be aware that, if you take a skill that is way outside of your clan's normal interests, people might think you're weird" as part of chargen, rather than make it an optional aside.

Edit: but sometimes I wish I could play a dragon clan ninja. Cuz I like dragon clan and I like ninjas :shobon:

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 27, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

The skill thing is mostly a lesser concern, but I mean, I'm 80% sure everyone in the game I'm in chose the option just because it meant a free skillpoint, and they could earn that honor later. So maybe that's a balance concern in and of itself.

My big concern is more things like Klaus wanting to strip away any penalties for acting not like a Lion on his Lion, and make it so people's personal codes matter more than their clans. Which is, in my opinion, very against l5r lore. And just an attempt to go 'but mah individualism'

Yeah, the latter issue is kind of weird. I think some variation from the norm (a little wiggle room) is okay, but trying to play essentially L5R's version of Drizzt Do'Urden is bad.

Basically, it seems the problem is the same here as it is with so many things: it requires subtlety and nuance, and most people tend toward sledgehammers instead.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
For every winner there has to be a loser. Just think: you're making somebody else's day whenever you lose! :)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

SpaceViking posted:

DAIGOTSU GOT RETCONNED. Take that, Spider nerds!

Can you elaborate please?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Speaking of shugenja mechanics: I wonder if the Tamori shugenja school is going to be like the Kuni, where they get katas instead of shūji.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Aw, damnit.

Also, this guy presents a very glowing view of the (original) L5R story relating to the players:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9jxVbg_RWQ

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
At that point just loving laminate the card.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Is there anything stopping a Kuni from throwing on armor and playing full-time bushi? I mean they won't be able to wear heavy armor without penalty like a Hida, but still.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
"Pacifist" :airquote:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I never implied that shugenja should roll up into town draped in full armor and carrying a big gently caress-off weapon. Of course that is not okay. I was asking if, in combat with non-supernatural enemies, there was a reason a Kuni couldn't wear armor and use a weapon to fill in as a bushi. Considering they get access to kata, is there anything that makes them mechanically worse bushi besides their school techniques not giving them bonuses to weapon-based combat?

Yes, I understand the story aspect of how they will likely get executed like bushi rather than captured like shugenja, but aside from that.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 1, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Another question about shugenja: if the Tamori have not joined the Dragon clan in the new edition's time period (and may not ever join, considering it appears FFG is going in a different direction in at least one case), who are the Dragon clan's shugenja?

Edit: just went back and looked at Dragon families and it mentions Agasha. Guess I answered my own question.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 1, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
What is the Dragon Clan's actual purpose? As someone who's only ever read the 4E rulebook and FFG open beta rulebook, they just come off as the ~oh so esoteric and inscrutable~ clan, in a really annoying way. Like, what do they actually do for the empire? What do they do, period? There's basically no real information in the rulebooks, just a lot of "they do things and nobody knows why."

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

All the clans are abject failures, it's a great RPG setting.

No offense to Spookyelectric, but I don't believe this was actually an intentional aspect of the story.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Spookyelectric posted:

That's all in the past now, though. FFG has a firm handle on things. The Dragon seem to be restored to their Clan War-era identity, which is the coolest and best iteration of the Dragon imo. And I'm really interested in that Perfect Land Sect crisis.

So, uh, what is this identity? I know gently caress-all about the different eras of the setting.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I'd rather have Shizue than Togashi Korimi, if we're complaining about line dev's pet NPCs.

I was not aware of this character. I googled her:

quote:

Korimi's eccentricities included her tendency to forget to wear clothing, which was remarkable even among her fellow monks, much less among the clans. Korimi simply found such things unimportant.

:fuckoff:

Something about that last bit makes my skin crawl. She's so ~aloof and above it all~, she doesn't care about your petty earthly concepts of ~modesty and chastity~. While there is nothing inherently wrong with not adhering to Victorian-era Christian modesty standards, I feel like these kinds of characters are almost always the creations of gross men who have a fetish. The remainder are gross women who have/are playing into said fetish.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 23, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Speaking of the egg of Pan Ku, to what degree are dragons actually a thing in L5R? There's clearly plenty of mythical creatures running around, with kami spirits powering shugenja wizardry and the crab clan regularly dealing with supernatural threats, but aside from a clan being named after dragons and the aforementioned dragon egg, I'm not sure I remember anything about actual dragons being around in the world.

Edit: L5R wiki says they're basically primal forces and they had their own piece of the heavens called the dragonlands. Also wasn't there a super evil dragon who was the result of CORRUPTION?

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 26, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Greatest hero of the Empire Shiba Aikune is not just "some guy"!

Too bad he was one of the guys that pointlessly died with Hantei Naseru because the players picked wrong for Emperor.

Yeah, he wasn't just some guy--sounds more like a nobody to me. Dude sure died like a nobody.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Magnusth posted:

For the record, I started at l5r pbp of to the beta over in the game room

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845497q

Providing a link to the thread.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Would've been funny if somehow a Scorpion|Scorpion matchup wasn't 50-50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

ShowTime posted:

The release schedule doesn't bother me at all. If you want L5R to be your daily game, like something on a MTG level, then the release schedule probably does bother you. But if you are just treating it like any other game, the release schedule shouldn't affect you. If you play l5r a lot, yea, you'll eventually get burnt out on the limited card pool. Most people aren't playing it that much.

Filthy casual