Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Vakal posted:

All that reading comics as a kid taught me was that getting radiation poisoning would be pretty rad!

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This thread should also address the culture of sexual harassment by shitbirds like that one DC editor whose name I cannot remember for the life of me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This thread should also address the culture of sexual harassment by shitbirds like that one DC editor whose name I cannot remember for the life of me.

Yes, that would be an appropriate topic for this thread, but I'm pretty sure we need a few more details than that to get started on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is clearly Eddie Berganza.

And Scott "Bitey the Clown" Allie at Dark Horse.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

You probably mean Berganza, but it's pretty sad that the field of creeps in comics is big enough that I had think about who you might refer to.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Decius posted:

You probably mean Berganza, but it's pretty sad that the field of creeps in comics is big enough that I had think about who you might refer to.

I was thinking Julius Schwartz, who was a hidden stair and all the results of his poo poo only came out after his death a few years ago. Or Scott Lobdell, who again has a long history of harassment, some of which was in open forums and on the record. It's sad as gently caress to think that "rando at DC is a serial harasser" could basically describe a half-dozen or so people. And I'm pretty convinced that it's not any better with Marvel or really any other publisher either.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

rkajdi posted:

I was thinking Julius Schwartz, who was a hidden stair and all the results of his poo poo only came out after his death a few years ago. Or Scott Lobdell, who again has a long history of harassment, some of which was in open forums and on the record. It's sad as gently caress to think that "rando at DC is a serial harasser" could basically describe a half-dozen or so people. And I'm pretty convinced that it's not any better with Marvel or really any other publisher either.

Scott Lobdell, it bears repeating, is a giant creep (he's the guy in this story). Chastening that he was even on a panel about queer representation to begin with.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

rkajdi posted:

Schwartz has been dead for 13 years, and I'm pretty sure his treatment of Colleen Doran at least was an open secret even among fans before that.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Lord posted:

Schwartz has been dead for 13 years, and I'm pretty sure his treatment of Colleen Doran at least was an open secret even among fans before that.

That's the definition of a hidden/missing stair, though. It's something that "everyone knew" but nobody directly mentioned so other people unknowingly run into it. I only heard about it when Ales Kot was bringing up something about someone over at DC. I also could be combining a few of these incidents together because there are a lot of them and nothing ever really seems to happen to anyone over them.

Android Blues posted:

Scott Lobdell, it bears repeating, is a giant creep (he's the guy in this story). Chastening that he was even on a panel about queer representation to begin with.

Yup, that's the big public incident, but there's also other stuff that was apparently worse but happened in private. Seriously, gently caress that guy. I can't believe he still gets work after all the hacky stuff he's put out and the obvious liability he causes for the company he's working for.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There's also this recent post where Val D'Orazio explicitly says a lot of Goodbye to Comics was about Mike Carlin for (I think) the first time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rkajdi posted:

Yup, that's the big public incident, but there's also other stuff that was apparently worse but happened in private. Seriously, gently caress that guy. I can't believe he still gets work after all the hacky stuff he's put out and the obvious liability he causes for the company he's working for.

I tried to find the post where DT handwaved away everything Lobdell has done (same post where he equated the death of a fictional character with real world rape) but I got a nosebleed after searching for a minute.

Scott Allie is probably the worst offender as he has physically bitten dozens of people while intoxicated at convention after parties and nobody said or did anything for a very long time.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

I tried to find the post where DT handwaved away everything Lobdell has done (same post where he equated the death of a fictional character with real world rape) but I got a nosebleed after searching for a minute.

You're talking about DarkTzimscie (sp?), the only Red Hood superfan in existence, right? Of all the hills to die on, defending Lobdell has to be one of the more odd ones. I'm not going to try to address that second point, because that's :wtc: as poo poo.

gently caress Lobdell. I say this as someone who got a good bit of enjoyment out of his stuff when I read it as a kid in the 90s, and who's probably going to re-reading it along with the Jay & Miles podcast in the next few months. I'd like to think he was better back then, but the real answer is he was just able to keep the lovely behavior under wraps back then. People don't just suddenly become harrassers, barring something like a sever brain injury.

quote:

Scott Allie is probably the worst offender as he has physically bitten dozens of people while intoxicated at convention after parties and nobody said or did anything for a very long time.

What. The. gently caress. How does this guy not have a criminal record? Going around biting people is the kind of thing that gets you arrested, and rightly so. Is this guy just in deep with one of the Big Two and gets the charges bought off or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody seems to be able to explain how Allie still has a job. This is a thing that stretches back years and years, he'd get drunk at a con and go up behind people and bite their ears. Allegedly a retailer was paid off with a whole lot of original Mignola Hellboy art to keep quiet about it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhyno posted:

Nobody seems to be able to explain how Allie still has a job. This is a thing that stretches back years and years, he'd get drunk at a con and go up behind people and bite their ears. Allegedly a retailer was paid off with a whole lot of original Mignola Hellboy art to keep quiet about it.

Yeah, I did a google search on him, and came up with some stupid nickname he got (Bitey the Clown) and a history of doing this. It's both bonkers and also oddly specific. I just cannot fathom how a guy with a history of assaulting your customers can keep his job. Does Dark Horse really think that the retailer he bit is going to keep buying from them? Considering how petty buying decision by LCSes often are, I can certainly see "employs a guy who assaulted me" as being the kind of thing that might push not buying Dark Horse stuff. I mean, they're also fourth in line at best, and at that point you can't afford to do anything to reduce your base further.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
At this point i think hellboy and the alien license is the only thing keeping them afloat

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rhyno posted:

other nerds like him who think being utterly noxious is a personality quirk

the kinds of people who would voluntarily enter a room with a guy they knew was called "Bitey the Clown"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Wonder how Mignola would feel about that.

I hope this isn't where you tell me Mike loves fisting minors or something.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 14, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wonder how Mignoa would feel about that.

I hope this isn't where you tell me Mike loves fisting minors or something.

LoL.That would explain the right hand of doom wouldn't it. I believe it's only recently that Mignola has distanced himself from Allie.

I reached out to another retailer looking for some details and he has declined to weigh in. Allie was always a fixture at retailer summits, I've actually hob-knobbed with him on more than one occasion but I guess I'm not his type as I was never accosted.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I'm mostly confused about how someone like that manages to not get punched in the head constantly until he stops, honestly. Not even in a "Navy Seal man who would destroy anyone who so much as looked at me" way, just...how do you literally bite people and not get the poo poo kicked out of you as a reflexive reaction?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I guess the comics industry collectively or at least his bosses decided he was a sick man to be pitied for his alcoholism and drumming him out for randomly biting people while drunk was unfair, it's the only explanation I can think of. Except that's enabling.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 14, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blade Runner posted:

I'm mostly confused about how someone like that manages to not get punched in the head constantly until he stops, honestly. Not even in a "Navy Seal man who would destroy anyone who so much as looked at me" way, just...how do you literally bite people and not get the poo poo kicked out of you as a reflexive reaction?

Nobody seems to have any clue how this piece of garbage kept his job. He was in a position of authority at Dark Horse so anyone he assaulted probably kept quiet so as to not get on his poo poo list.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Terry crews did a whole twitter thread just a couple days ago about being sexually assaulted by someone right in front of his wife at a party and was afraid to retaliate and that dude is a fuckin brick wall of muscle

Power and authority

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also not everyone reacts to violence with immediate violence of their own. Not that it'd be an inappropriate reaction mind you. But if someone bit me my first instinct would be to shove then off and get the hell away from them, especially if they seemed intoxicated. How he stayed employed is another question entirely, but "why didn't someone assault the guy back" isn't too much of a head scratcher.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Countblanc posted:

Also not everyone reacts to violence with immediate violence of their own. Not that it'd be an inappropriate reaction mind you. But if someone bit me my first instinct would be to shove then off and get the hell away from them, especially if they seemed intoxicated. How he stayed employed is another question entirely, but "why didn't someone assault the guy back" isn't too much of a head scratcher.

It's not so much of a head scratcher when you hear about how many times he did this. It's just amazing that nobody reacted violently.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

It's not so much of a head scratcher when you hear about how many times he did this. It's just amazing that nobody reacted violently.
Was most of this before the Internet was a big thing? I could totally see how he could be aided by it being a sort of half-known rumor and everyone assuming it came from a single notable moment, or like two or three, rather than "like any party where he has a drink."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

Was most of this before the Internet was a big thing? I could totally see how he could be aided by it being a sort of half-known rumor and everyone assuming it came from a single notable moment, or like two or three, rather than "like any party where he has a drink."

I have no idea how long he was doing this but the incidents that came to light was during SDCC in 2015.

In reading up on the events it looks like he left DH two weeks ago. Speculation is that he was quietly told to finally GTFO.

Edit: Refreshing myself, he'd been doing this for twenty goddamned years before Janelle Masselin and Joe Harris called him out.

https://graphicpolicy.com/2015/10/01/enough-is-enough-dark-horses-scott-allies-assaulting-behavior/

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 14, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Refreshing myself, he'd been doing this for twenty goddamned years before Janelle Masselin and Joe Harris called him out.

https://graphicpolicy.com/2015/10/01/enough-is-enough-dark-horses-scott-allies-assaulting-behavior/

It's Janelle Asselin. The "M" is her middle initial. :eng101:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

It's Janelle Asselin. The "M" is her middle initial. :eng101:

Whoops, my bad. I'm not very familiar with her honestly. Joe Harris is a friend on FB I feel lousy for not being aware of that.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Dark Horse gave dude so many second chances and finally gave up, is my understanding of it.

the folks I’ve talked to about it definitely kept quiet about his behavior because of his senior position, which is heartbreaking. the comics community in Portland is so tight, yet nobody felt comfortable talking to others about it.

I’m glad he’s not a full-time editor anymore, but I’m not thrilled that he’s still working for them, even if it’s just freelance gigs. ugh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know anyone at DH and have had no real interactions with their marketing guys but the chatter today is he will slowly be pushed out entirely.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Wasn't "Milkshakegate" when a few ladies working at Marvel posted about drinking milkshakes complete with a picture and all got called fat whores who are ruining comics because that's apparently what you do on Twitter?

I dimly recall it only because it stood out as unusually stupid.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Nessus posted:

Wasn't "Milkshakegate" when a few ladies working at Marvel posted about drinking milkshakes complete with a picture and all got called fat whores who are ruining comics because that's apparently what you do on Twitter?

I dimly recall it only because it stood out as unusually stupid.

Yeah, that was pretty much what happened.

https://www.themarysue.com/marvel-editor-harassed-for-selfie/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/news/female-marvel-comics-editor-harassed-online-milkshake-selfie/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

For those who don't read the Marvel thread, it came up because an edict came down, asking talent to stop getting into fights on twitter. I interpreted it as telling victims of targeted harassment to stop complaining because it makes the company look bad.

The comments on the article seem to be interpreting it as... I have no idea what they're on about but I read "SJW" "Identity politics" and "Democrats" like 30 times in one comment.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

For those who don't read the Marvel thread, it came up because an edict came down, asking talent to stop getting into fights on twitter. I interpreted it as telling victims of targeted harassment to stop complaining because it makes the company look bad.

The comments on the article seem to be interpreting it as... I have no idea what they're on about but I read "SJW" "Identity politics" and "Democrats" like 30 times in one comment.
I don't think even they know why they're upset at this point.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Reading the article, it seems a lot to me like it's saying "try not to get baited into arguments that will make you look crazy". A bunch of people love to try to get creators to defend their views to the point that they start making kneejerk, aggressive responses to almost any criticism or divergent views. While there are the people who will go off on a screaming rant with no provocation, a lot of others are just creators who are trying to write what they want and getting loud voices shouting them down all the time.

Basically, social media and Twitter and all that has made feedback nigh immediate, and also has allowed people to pick at tiny chunks of info and views that don't have all the context they should, because it's hard to fit that into 144 characters. So everyone looks like they're being short with each other, actual debate is crushed, and everyone retreats to their own corners that prop them up because a lot of time they're too stressed out by constant information to seek out and process other views.

So telling these creators "hey, maybe don't engage with the horror shows screaming for your blood" isn't exactly terrible advice. It has the added benefit of making the company look a little better, but it also would probably reduce stress just because they wouldn't be dealing with as much poo poo.

Of course, this is 2017, it's sort of standard procedure now to always be blasted with information and updates and poo poo and be on edge and ready to leap at a moment's notice.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

a lot of young working professionals these days grew up raised by the Internet and actually need to be told to not start a public argument with the nutcase screeching REEEEE FEMALES

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is... Not good

quote:

the night before the summit, one creator called on other creators to speak out against harassment against one other... Nearly everyone was in agreement that such a statement would be a bad idea and draw attention to essentially a non-issue

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe Marvel's directive was just aimed at Spencer, now that he's gonna be on the flagship property they don't want him looking like an rear end all the time

https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/921773022666780672

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is using Twitter or Facebook mandatory for a creator?

I feel like if someone was harassing me on Twitter I wouldn't even know.

Would getting a hateful letter sent in that Marvel wouldn't publish substantially different from what's happening today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nick Spencer was notorious for picking fights online during his cap/secret empire run and him locking his account happened right around the summit that was talked about in the bleeding cool article

• Locked thread