Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i don't know what this is.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

i think you will find your question answered by the previous post

spankmeister posted:

This is violence

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hifi posted:

B<>𐐒

i's a usb to fdd adapter and a fdd to usb adapter

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i could use that actually

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

how the hell am I going to install windows now

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

e: wrong thread

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

echinopsis posted:

ngrmadly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it's apparently just a joke, anyway

pram
Jun 10, 2001
2020 is the year of windows on the ARM based mobile computing device

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I was just on disk 2,246 out of 4,000!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pram posted:

2020 is the year of windows on the ARM based mobile computing device

No wonder this year sucks poo poo

larper
Apr 9, 2019
once i figure out the lock screen and hibernate on low battery

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

now that's what I call pod racing brand engagement

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i guarantee you they would have said something when Vista came out if twitter brand existed back then

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:yikes:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

#cheese

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1288989532436791296

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bing up your rear end

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

microsoft: "unexpected data from google ? CRASH THE WHOLE THING, thanks for letting us know, beta testers!"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

microsoft: "unexpected data from google ? CRASH THE WHOLE THING, thanks for letting us know, beta testers!"

i'd be really pleased it if turns out the data indeed got caught in some "have we actually removed all google tracking" sanity check.

my guess though is that they just managed to add some race condition in rendering the ui, and google is way more responsive than pretty much any competitor.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pram posted:

bing up your rear end

mystes
May 31, 2006

It would be cool if Google deliberately caused it to crash, though.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'd be really pleased it if turns out the data indeed got caught in some "have we actually removed all google tracking" sanity check.

my guess though is that they just managed to add some race condition in rendering the ui, and google is way more responsive than pretty much any competitor.

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its more likely that google search assumes chrome based browsers have access to 12 gigs of ram and microsoft is adding performance constraints to edge

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol that poo poo got me. I turned off address bar search autocomplete rather than subject myself to bing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

windows still doesn't install a boot partition on an m.2 drive if a non-m.2 drive is present during setup.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what system with an m.2 drive are you booting in bios mode as opposed to efi?

why?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like, if you boot your windows install media in efi mode, that is not a thing.

if you're booting in legacy mode, then your m.2 drive is just another sata device and windows will generally give drives that are already partitioned a lower drive/volume id

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

like, if you boot your windows install media in efi mode, that is not a thing.

if you're booting in legacy mode, then your m.2 drive is just another sata device and windows will generally give drives that are already partitioned a lower drive/volume id

idk man. i selected efi mode on the boot menu and it wouldn't create a bootable install until I disconnected my other drives :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what?

i mean, i've done this as recently as last week, so i can say with 100% certainty that if you have efi bootable windows media, and your system is set to boot in efi mode, windows will install to an m.2 (sata or nvme) drive and boot while other drives are installed. either your windows media is weird, your bios settings are weird, your motherboard is weird, your m.2 drive is weird, or this is another hopelessly tragic case of "works for me"

maybe you somehow did not boot the windows media in efi mode, and then tried to boot the drive in efi mode even though windows was installed in legacy mode, idk. normally it's not that difficult

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 7, 2020

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

whatever. it boots now and seems to be setup correctly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

protip: force efi-only mode in the bios. disable all legacy boot options and legacy op-roms. this completely eliminates the possibility that something dumb is happening somewhere and the system is booting something in legacy mode. if suddenly your windows media doesn't boot, it's because it was created wrong and was actually booting in legacy mode, which would also be why your install was all fucky

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet posted:

whatever. it boots now and seems to be setup correctly

huzzah

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I did do all that lol. I seriously think something is bugged with the windows installer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's a good thing bing works about the same as google. just another corp gets your data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

while I'm complaining about windows, let me say that the color management ui is really goddamn awkward