Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

did they get rid of paint3d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jenny Agutter posted:

did they get rid of paint3d?

moved to the Microsoft Store as an optional app

so, dead

mystes
May 31, 2006

gently caress the office open xml format sucks so much. (Shaggar may disagree but he's wrong.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 7, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

TIL that if you hit the F1 key in mspaint on win10 (21H1) it will launch chedge and search for "help with paint in windows 10" on bing (not direct, uses a fwlink: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=2004229). i know they're trying to get rid of mspaint and all but lmao this is beyond lazy and dumb.

nah thats about inflating bing search counts. its the same reason theres bing search in the start menu

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

gently caress the office open xml format sucks so much. (Shaggar may disagree but he's wrong.)

it works fine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

nah thats about inflating bing search counts. its the same reason theres bing search in the start menu

i'm guessing they count every search that returns results from the web as a bing search whether or not the web results get a click

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

Shaggar posted:

it works fine.

i honestly have no idea what the use case for it even is, i thought it was just added as an antitrust compliance measure

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it would probably be strictly better for everyone (including microsoft) if microsoft gave up on bing as that would make the already defacto google monopoly in the space obvious

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i honestly have no idea what the use case for it even is, i thought it was just added as an antitrust compliance measure

yeah i guess, but you can use it for generating documents without using word automation

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://github.com/dfinke/ImportExcel is really good for creating excel spreadsheets

but you should never have to create an excel spreadsheet
whatever it is you're trying to do there's some free thing that does it better than office

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'm guessing they count every search that returns results from the web as a bing search whether or not the web results get a click

as i posted it doesn't send you direct to the bing results but instead goes via a microsoft fwlink https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=2004229. actually now that i write this im not sure what that really means

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

https://github.com/dfinke/ImportExcel is really good for creating excel spreadsheets

whatever it is you're trying to do there's some free thing that does it better than office

its incredibly useful for reporting.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
very useful for databases

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

PowerBI is enormously better than excel for reporting

granted it's also a microsoft product but the desktop app is free and all you really need when your report doesn't have to be a webpage with live data

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's the current format that all office documents use. It's basically just normal xml and it's a million times better than dealing with a weird binary format but it's still completely oriented around how things are implemented in office. If you're generating files it's just moderately annoying, but almost no libraries for reading existing files actually handle arbitrary files created in office correctly (they typically only work in the most basic cases that the creators of the libraries bothered to test against).

There's an official .net library for it from microsoft but it's essentially just a convenience wrapper around the xml with types for the different elements, so you still have to understand all the possibilities for the underlying xml you care about which is non-trivial.

Even if you just want to extract the text, for excel files you have to deal with the case where the current value of a formula isn't stored which means implementing the entire formula language, and for word files you have to deal with insanely complicated stuff relating to fields and numbering because the actual text for the numbers in numbered lists isn't stored at all (also to get numbering correct you have to account for track changes).

One really trivial example of extracting the values incorrectly from excel is that a lot of libraries (IIRC including the most popular python and .net excel file libraries) will include extraneous text from any files with japanese text created with the japanese version of excel, because for some reason the japanese version of excel saves a phonetic version of all text (or at least all text containing chinese characters) which can then theoretically be used in formulas, even though probably nobody has actually intentionally used this feature ever, and this will annoyingly get appended to the innertext or whatever these libraries are using if they try to get the values the wrong way.

Excel handles csv files really badly so for if people are going to be viewing your output in excel it might be better to generate an excel file. There's also the old trick of generating an html file in the right format and just changing the extension to xlsx but that results in warnings in modern versions of office and is probably blocked by some companies' overly strict group policy settings.

Edit: like the basic problem is that whereas odf was actually created with the intent of being a standard format that other programs aside from openoffice could use, ooxml was created just to be an xml serialization of the existing format that office was using (indeed as an antitrust compliance measure or whatever, at least in part) without any consideration to whether it would be practical to make other implementations of it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 7, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for some reason i thought you meant the "strict xml document"/"word xml document" format

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it would probably be strictly better for everyone (including microsoft) if microsoft gave up on bing as that would make the already defacto google monopoly in the space obvious

bing was the default in chredge and I haven't changed it. the only thing it really sucks at is reverse image search, otherwise it's fine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it also sucks at not returning scam sites as the first page of results for common searches

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

bing was the default in chredge and I haven't changed it. the only thing it really sucks at is reverse image search, otherwise it's fine
I keep trying it occasionally but it just completely fails to return the sites that I'm actually looking for at the top compared to google.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not even good at returning results for things ostensibly on microsoft sites like technet and github

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

you're surely insane. and i say that as a constant contrarian.

...will genuinely try for a week.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PowerBI is enormously better than excel for reporting

granted it's also a microsoft product but the desktop app is free and all you really need when your report doesn't have to be a webpage with live data

and how do you think powerbi generates excel reports?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the answer is probably com automation

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

moved to the Microsoft Store as an optional app

so, dead

only ever used it for magic select but it was really good for that one use case

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1450460563167973379

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i was getting annoyed at how long it takes to open notification center on windows 10 (slowly slide out from side, pause, slowly fade in notifications, like why aren't the actual notifications just there?) so i turned off animations (yoou can't selectively turn off animations, its all or nothing) and.. it still takes like half a second for the notifications to appear after the tray does.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

i was getting annoyed at how long it takes to open notification center on windows 10 (slowly slide out from side, pause, slowly fade in notifications, like why aren't the actual notifications just there?) so i turned off animations (yoou can't selectively turn off animations, its all or nothing) and.. it still takes like half a second for the notifications to appear after the tray does.

now it plays the animation but doesn't show it to you. shouldve turned on faster menus too

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

now it plays the animation but doesn't show it to you. shouldve turned on faster menus too

does that actually effect notification center?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

does that actually effect notification center?

im just shitposting about microsoft ui “design”, sorry

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im just shitposting about microsoft ui “design”, sorry

t:mad:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

disable animations and notifications, ez-pz

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

bad news if you wanna do NIC teaming or VLANs with PROset/ANS on win11: intel have given up completely, those recalcitrant cowards!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087483/ethernet-products.html

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

fair enough, you want a real server os for that stuff

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wonder if I should give in and try windows 11 in a vm just so I know what the ui changes are like even though I have zero desire to upgrade.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mystes posted:

I wonder if I should give in and try windows 11 in a vm just so I know what the ui changes are like even though I have zero desire to upgrade.

i did this exact thing and it's poo poo, op. i will wait at least a year to "upgrade" to windows 11 while microsoft beta tests it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

is microsoft still developing hyper-v
maybe if driver support and stability suffers enough satya will let those guys go work on kvm instead

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hyper-v is the one part of windows they're developing most of all, every piece of drm crap they're pushing (and also wsl) is built on top of it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
waiting for the inevitable windows 12 once Apple changes macOS to 12 lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

fair enough, you want a real server os for that stuff

intel don't have separate PROset/ANS software for windows server. their latest version is for win10 and server 2019. not sure what they're gonna do for server 2022.

Chris Knight posted:

waiting for the inevitable windows 12 once Apple changes macOS to 12 lmao

so began the version wars

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pile Of Garbage posted:

intel don't have separate PROset/ANS software for windows server. their latest version is for win10 and server 2019. not sure what they're gonna do for server 2022.

so began the version wars

they should just increment the number with every fixpack like chrome and firefox

or whatever the hell nvidia is doing with their graphics drivers that are nearing version 500