Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

they should just increment the number with every fixpack like chrome and firefox

or whatever the hell nvidia is doing with their graphics drivers that are nearing version 500

nvidia driver version number is actually not what you think

the real version is in device manager, for instance

27 - wddm 2.7, windows 10 version 2004
21 - directx version identifier, directx 12 ultimate
14 - driver variant identifier
9613 - build number

so if you take 14.9613 and drop the first digit, you get 4.9613 - and 496.13 is the the “version” seen in downloads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so if you take 14.9613 and drop the first digit, you get 4.9613 - and 496.13 is the the “version” seen in downloads

this is some "Harold Camping trying to guess the date of armageddon with the bible and numbers" poo poo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:hmmyes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

20 12.1
19 12
18 11.1
17 11.0
15 10.x
14 9.x
13 8.x
12 7.x
11 6.x

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

9613 - build number

incredible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

9613 - build number

i like this very much

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

numerology for nerds

weast
Nov 7, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

waiting for the inevitable windows 12 once Apple changes macOS to 12 lmao

macOS 12 comes out next week so they have to hurry

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

numerology for nerds
versions that matter

matti
Mar 31, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

9613 - build number

can i use this as a hash algorithm?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

waiting for the inevitable windows 12 once Apple changes macOS to 12 lmao

windows 12 is going to be windows 11 with hastily patched-in notch support, for the inevitable macbook copycats

my stepdads beer posted:

fair enough, you want a real server os for that stuff

windows 11.3 for workgroups

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

matti posted:

can i use this as a hash algorithm?
buddy you can smoke anything these days

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Pile Of Garbage posted:

intel don't have separate PROset/ANS software for windows server. their latest version is for win10 and server 2019. not sure what they're gonna do for server 2022.

oh i meant linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

bad news if you wanna do NIC teaming or VLANs with PROset/ANS on win11: intel have given up completely, those recalcitrant cowards!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087483/ethernet-products.html

i havent used proset in years but is the teaming any different than the stuff built in to windows?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

i havent used proset in years but is the teaming any different than the stuff built in to windows?

not sure tbh. ive only ever used intel ANS with the quad-port NIC ive got in my home PC running win10. as i understand the NIC teaming stuff is only available in windows server.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the bits and the powershell commands are there so you could try it and see if it works. tbh nic teaming on a client os seems super edge case in 2021 so i can understand intel not wanting to deal w/ it anymore.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Windows Subsystem for Android has been hacked to sideload gapps

I had to sideload Apple Music (wasn't on the store for some reason) and it doesn't let you expand the size of it (snaps back in place when you try) but otherwise it runs... fine? Better than expected, and the integration isn't total poo poo. Apple Music even integrated with the Windows sound notifications and stuff.

but I can't think of many apps I would actually want to install versus native windows or web versions. apple music is great since iTunes sucks and being able to avoid it is cool. but beyond that... I'm not really sure. also that all of the apps you actually want and are up to date are on the google play store, which had to be hacked in.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

I had to sideload Apple Music (wasn't on the store for some reason) and it doesn't let you expand the size of it (snaps back in place when you try) but otherwise it runs... fine? Better than expected, and the integration isn't total poo poo. Apple Music even integrated with the Windows sound notifications and stuff.

but I can't think of many apps I would actually want to install versus native windows or web versions. apple music is great since iTunes sucks and being able to avoid it is cool. but beyond that... I'm not really sure. also that all of the apps you actually want and are up to date are on the google play store, which had to be hacked in.

running Apple Music via side load of official Microsoft Android emulator on Windows is profoundly cursed, with the comedy effect being only exaggerated by me fully believing that it’s a better experience than iTunes

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The first party malware in the control panel of all things was the last straw for me to move full-time to Linux and never look back

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

The first party malware in the control panel of all things was the last straw for me to move full-time to Linux and never look back

maybe explain your understanding of the word "malware" this time?

Workaday Wizard posted:

are you referring to Defender, OneDrive, Skype/Teams, or something else?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sign into your Bing Rewards account, milady?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Sign into your Bing Rewards account, milady?

ty, i would not call a rewards account "malware", in that it is neither 'mal' nor 'ware', but it is certainly a silly thing to have in settings.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lolware, or maybe lmaoware

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

windows is crapware not malware
at least not intentionally

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i consider advertising to be malware because it is a user-hostile feature that is intentionally inserted into a piece of software

a lot of people itt who are paid to produce malware at least some of the time would of course disagree with my characterization because well you see sir if you just looked at page 327 of the end user license agreement which you accepted at installation time...

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the correct phrasing you touch upon there is is actually plenty damning: *ads* in the settings app is dumb. it simply isn't malware though, it is neither malicious (a billboard for even the worst product is not malicious, it is just greedy and dumb) nor, importantly, is it in any way software.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i’m a ballastware engineer

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Where's your train?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's okay to admit that you produce malware for a living my friend, we all have to sell our labor in ways we're occasionally not proud of in order to be permitted to have living conditions

mystes
May 31, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm a certified dead weight engineer

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

mystes posted:

lolware, or maybe lmaoware

not as good as apple's lomarfware

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Drastic Actions posted:

just use music.apple.com

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

just use music.apple.com

it's worse than itunes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i consider advertising to be malware because it is a user-hostile feature that is intentionally inserted into a piece of software

a lot of people itt who are paid to produce malware at least some of the time would of course disagree with my characterization because well you see sir if you just looked at page 327 of the end user license agreement which you accepted at installation time...

I consider your posts malware because they are unwanted and eat up memory

ed: eh… that came out too harsh. you’re posts are fine

akadajet fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 25, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

akadajet posted:

ed: eh… that came out too harsh. you’re posts are fine
plz don't troll in yospos

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

carry on then posted:

just use music.apple.com

I use this on Linux sometimes lol. it’s quite far from the old days of running iTunes 10 in wine or in a vm on lunix

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jenmsft/status/1452779931843264512

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

The original was a virtually unedited photograph—seriously, #nofilter—but for a new take on the lush landscape for your Teams meetings, we shifted the shadows, softened the clouds, and added a dappling of dandelions across the field.

this is the essence of microsoft

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Clark Nova posted:

this is the essence of microsoft

Microsoft is the Nintendo of os vendors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
who are you suspicious dish, demanding those old school #nofilter mario64 textures