Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
windows app store finally gets something worth installing https://blog.getpaint.net/2017/09/29/paint-net-is-now-available-on-the-windows-store/

it costs $8.99 (on sale for $4.99 until the end of october) horns.aiff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

windows app store finally gets something worth installing https://blog.getpaint.net/2017/09/29/paint-net-is-now-available-on-the-windows-store/

that's nice but what did you find on the app store that was worth installing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wheany posted:

It used to be open source, then closed source, and now sold the the app store.

lol at this guy trying to make money

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol their justification for the pricetag is that the store version comes with "easy installation" and "reliability"

quote:

Everyone knows that installing “classic” desktop apps on Windows is a pain,

wut

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

anthonypants posted:

that's nice but what did you find on the app store that was worth installing

paint.net is good, op

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
not $9-after-a-decade-of-being-free good, but good

burning swine
May 26, 2004

good news wheany, it's still free if you don't install the retarded version

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yeah he goes into some thing about how msi isn't reliable and if the user fucks up they have to crowdsource a fix

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

It used to be open source, then closed source, and now sold the the app store.

lol at this guy trying to make money

my thoughts reading that, "hey, wasn't paintnet free"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

yeah he goes into some thing about how msi isn't reliable and if the user fucks up they have to crowdsource a fix

lorfio

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

reinstalled win 10 for my laptop an hour-ish ago and drat win10 installer now includes cortana with voice introduction. threw me in for a loop as i sat paying attention to the other computer

this pisses me off immensely. more so because the mute button in the ui doesn't actually work.

it's like five mouse clicks, or i can spend 10 minutes while the idiot computer narrates everything to me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

next step, break the msi

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

it's a bad justification for going paid, but they're not wrong about windows software installation being awful.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

it's a bad justification for going paid, but they're not wrong about windows software installation being awful.

You click the installer, sometimes click some buttons, then it's done. It's simple

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, but what if instead you had to register and verify a microsoft id and then sign into the store first?

...and then pay $10

wouldn't that be better?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blue Train posted:

You click the installer, sometimes click some buttons, then it shits files all over your system, installs a helper to sit in your tray that loads at boot, edits your pinned taskbar items to insert the program, and dumps a half-working uninstaller into the start menu, then it's done. It's simple

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how many "system tuneup" utilities do you have installed?

be honest now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

do you defrag your registry?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

also if there is a custom install option it is usually necessary, otherwise hope you like bundled malware (gently caress you oracle). and redundant libraries. linux has this poo poo better figured out ffs

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

do you defrag your registry?

i defrag my registry more often than i change my underwear. twice a year.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my thoughts reading that, "hey, wasn't paintnet free"
good news, it still is. just not the version on the windows store.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

OldAlias posted:

redundant libraries

The horror.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dll hell is real

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wheany posted:

those dude deffo deserve $5 for that software

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

dll hell is real, and strong, and my friend

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

all computers go to heaven: a film by don bluth

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this pisses me off immensely. more so because the mute button in the ui doesn't actually work.

it's like five mouse clicks, or i can spend 10 minutes while the idiot computer narrates everything to me

the mute button did work for me

not sure if you knew, it's the one that looks like a microphone, not the speaker

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OldAlias posted:

also if there is a custom install option it is usually necessary, otherwise hope you like bundled malware (gently caress you oracle). and redundant libraries. linux has this poo poo better figured out ffs

unix had this poo poo figured out in 1988

microsoft hosed this up real bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

not after reading his lovely excuses, sorry

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
thread title reminded me of this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol who gives a poo poo you huge babies, is it useful software or not?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unix had this poo poo figured out in 1988

microsoft hosed this up real bad

they hosed up library checking yea, but malware in installers is solely on oracle *spits onto pile of shot ask toolbars*

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

actually, paint.net is bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lol who gives a poo poo you huge babies, is it useful software or not?
it is, but it is also not the only software that exists, so yeah, sorry. much like notepad++, which is a perfectly valid text editor, that i put onto my shitlist for a haphazard update that primarily introduced autotyping "je suis charlie" into your documents when you start it up. that was some primo rear end poo poo, mates, i tell y'all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the mute button did work for me

not sure if you knew, it's the one that looks like a microphone, not the speaker

lmao. i did not know that, because that is the dumbest poo poo ever, even in the context of the shitpile that is the windows 10 ui

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

p. much this

automatic coordinated updating and reinstalling on new machines with one click are decent bonuses

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Blue Train posted:

You click the installer, sometimes click some buttons, then it's done. It's simple

compared to macs where you just drop an app bundle in /Applications instead of running an installer that can do who knows what.

it's bad.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

p. much this

automatic coordinated updating and reinstalling on new machines with one click are decent bonuses

this is how you know the argument is bad lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jony neuemonic posted:

compared to macs where you just drop an app bundle in /Applications instead of running an installer that can do who knows what.

it's bad.

there's also the whole sandboxing which is a really neat trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

there's also the whole sandboxing which is a really neat trick

turns out wangos-store has similar stuff but I guess we should hate new thing or something in favor yolo-ing an unauditable mess of MSI with admin rights