Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

in true ms fashion, sa has shuttered the old thread for not working right, opting to fully back the new version instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

it's sad because if handled better it could have been a good phone ecosystem

all they had to do was literally not abandon entire generations of the device twice in a row
why write an app for a platform that doesn't have compatibility between immediately adjacent versions?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

all they had to do was literally not abandon entire generations of the device twice in a row
why write an app for a platform that doesn't have compatibility between immediately adjacent versions?

it didn't help that they didn't allow native code apps until winphone8.

ms: "hey everyone wp7 is here, now get to work rewriting all of your apps in c# for a phone with no market share!"
everyone else: "lol gently caress you no"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

unofficial microsoft pr company the verge has a sloppy drunk love letter about how win pho was a "glorious failure" that just happens to gloss over the fact that it was half baked when it came out and basically blames google for not making a youtube app and not, say, the three different sets of dev tools and architecture three times in four years with no upgrade path for devices effectively punishing all their early adopters

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
but they tried really really hard qirex, and thats whats important!

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Microsoft is good again.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

unofficial microsoft pr company the verge has a sloppy drunk love letter about how win pho was a "glorious failure" that just happens to gloss over the fact that it was half baked when it came out and basically blames google for not making a youtube app and not, say, the three different sets of dev tools and architecture three times in four years with no upgrade path for devices effectively punishing all their early adopters

it has nothing to do with dev tools since most stuff just worked from version to version if you were using it properly and migrating from one to the other is not a big deal. The problem was nobody bought the phones so nobody wanted to write apps for it which meant nobody bought the phones.

also nobody cares about a youtube app, what they wanted was things like bank apps and airline apps that actually provide benefit over a terrible website and those were never on any version of win phone

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Shaggar posted:

also nobody cares about a youtube app

uh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thats a really lazy shaggaring

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Microsoft is doing cool stuff with hardware backed authentication that will actually be relevant

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the youtube app for ios was awful, idk anyone who used it over the slightly less awful website. nowdays they may be equally awful idk

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Shaggar posted:

the youtube app for ios was awful, idk anyone who used it over the slightly less awful website. nowdays they may be equally awful idk

not saying it is good (it isn't), but it's incredibly important to have on a platform that normal human beings are supposed to use. same with snapchat, etc

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
gotta go with shaggar on this one, the yt app is trash

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

cool thank u for ironic detachment I will really think on these salient points you have definitely made

lol if u think this is a debate

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zam Wesell posted:

not saying it is good (it isn't), but it's incredibly important to have on a platform that normal human beings are supposed to use. same with snapchat, etc

snapchat sure because access to native APIs is critical for its functionality. youtube.app on ios was a dumpster fire worse than the website in every single way. even if it was identical to the website, it provides no benefit. The problem with winphone wasn't no youtube app, it was no Instagram app or updates for years.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the problem was that there weren't any apps that people use. which apps fall into that grouping are up for debate. let's not miss the forest for the, um, apps? whatever, fiuccccccccc

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i wonder when the surface line of products will be discontinued in favor of almost the same kind of tablets.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

oh, youtube still works in the browser on winpho? then yeah, gently caress the app

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it works better in Edge on winphone than in safari or the youtube app on ios.

but its a bad example for what apps were missing was all I'm saying. its not an app people need where something like Instagram or snapchat need to be an app and on winphone they were never kept up to date.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

ok, I agree then

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

duTrieux. posted:

the problem was that there weren't any apps that people use. which apps fall into that grouping are up for debate. let's not miss the forest for the, um, apps? whatever, fiuccccccccc

don't miss the toilet for the turds

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my point was that they burned all the remaining sliver of goodwill [and the several bil on awful advertisements] by making 7 phones not able to run 8, and 8 phones not able to run 10; I believe there were even some 8 phones that didn't get 8.1 that drags on developers too because even if it's all visual studio you still need to test on multiple separate devices, each with less marketshare than the last

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

qirex posted:

my point was that they burned all the remaining sliver of goodwill [and the several bil on awful advertisements] by making 7 phones not able to run 8, and 8 phones not able to run 10; I believe there were even some 8 phones that didn't get 8.1 that drags on developers too because even if it's all visual studio you still need to test on multiple separate devices, each with less marketshare than the last

They sure got the divide part right, but seems they failed on the execution of conquer.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i am certainly more on the bungling side than the lack-of-apps side here, the 8.1 market share was shaping up nicely, and most really critical apps did make it across in those more optimistic days. my example about my bank very specifically does still have an up-to-date wp app, the point is rather that microsoft has no more chances to make it back when they let such remaining footholds now rot

perhaps the in practice most relevant aspect of the matter, though, is that all of the mobile web will continue down the path of being very webkit-specific, and apps getting built against webkit webviews and electron and so on will continue to be the normal (rather than trying to generalize across a broader web). depending on ones view that may not be entirely bad, but, eh, i doubt it will turn out well in the long run

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dont be mean to me posted:

wouldn't be the first time

at least blink is a fork of WebKit

since Mozilla is about to get real stupid with Firefox (not the 57 webext thing, the surprise Germany in particular! you're getting tracking poo poo thing) where do you even go for a Web that isn't garbage

and before you say the 90s my time-machines-r-us club card lapsed

shouldn't that be the time-machines-were-us club? :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
peter "i cum in my cheerios" bright has a decent retrospective on how they hosed up over and over again despite occasionally having some good ideas

tl;dr: yeah, like everyone else has said, being three years late to market with half-baked features and rebooting the platform twice didn't help. but the bigger issue was their licensing model for oems. they couldn't compete with google

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

perhaps the in practice most relevant aspect of the matter, though, is that all of the mobile web will continue down the path of being very webkit-specific, and apps getting built against webkit webviews and electron and so on will continue to be the normal (rather than trying to generalize across a broader web). depending on ones view that may not be entirely bad, but, eh, i doubt it will turn out well in the long run
by the time actual standards are good enough there will only be 1.5 vendors, sounds about normal for tech standardization

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

tl;dr: yeah, like everyone else has said, being three years late to market with half-baked features and rebooting the platform twice didn't help. but the bigger issue was their licensing model for oems. they couldn't compete with google
yeah "it's like android except it costs money and nobody uses it" wasn't a super good value proposition to companies making like $3/phone, they might have had a chance if it was free for oems from day 1

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

peter "i cum in my cheerios" bright

lmao what

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i can't be arsed to look for it but there was an old forum post or something where he said he jizzed in his cereal once.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

yeah "it's like android except it costs money and nobody uses it" wasn't a super good value proposition to companies making like $3/phone, they might have had a chance if it was free for oems from day 1

it's like they thought the smartphone market was identical to the pc market of the 80s/90s, except someone was already giving away an os, and had been for three years before they showed up.

and of course it's not as if they had backwards compatibility with winmo stuff to hang their hat on, so they were starting from 0 marketshare

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah winphone should have been 1st party hardware from the start.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i can't be arsed to look for it but there was an old forum post or something where he said he jizzed in his cereal once.

count chuckula

e: wait no, cinnamon tossed crunch

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

count chuckula

e: wait no, cinnamon tossed crunch

deez grape nuts

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

qirex posted:

deez grape nuts

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nuttin' Honey

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

It doesn't help that the "metro" design language really didn't translate well outside of the Zune player.

Remember when Visual Studio started doing all-caps on their menu items because it was "metro"? lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i can't be arsed to look for it

lmbo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

deez grape nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually the reason winpho series 10 phone for windows phone failed is because it doesnt have a keyboard so its not a good email machine