Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Malazan is the most disjointed mess of a series I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The unbridled nerd rage and fanboyism this thread keeps veering into are even dweebier than Pat himself.

let's be real, this is less "The Pat Rothfuss thread" and more "The Let's Hate Popular Fantasy thread"

which, I mean, fair, in absentia of a unifying topic (PatRo doing literally anything) goons naturally revert to consuming themselves

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019
https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/1502391921477656586

:(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

I absolutely cannot figure out what the hell this is about or who the people involved are.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think my favorite part of Pat taking so long to write the 3rd book is that he's WELL past what I would think is the smartest move if you're not confident in your ability to satisfyingly finish the trilogy: just put something, anything out and if it's poorly received say "I was rushed into finishing it! I really wish I could've taken the time this epic conclusion deserves but alas..."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I think my favorite part of Pat taking so long to write the 3rd book is that he's WELL past what I would think is the smartest move if you're not confident in your ability to satisfyingly finish the trilogy: just put something, anything out and if it's poorly received say "I was rushed into finishing it! I really wish I could've taken the time this epic conclusion deserves but alas..."

2013: twitter image of the finished "draft"
2015/6: starts getting "where the loving book Pat" while he's trying to play Fallout 4 on twitch and rages about it
2017: lots of buzz around getting a showtime adaption and Lin Manual Miranda
2019: the cheerio vlog
2020: Editor says "I haven't seen anything in 7 years"
2021: Pat does a long vlog about how difficult the book is and suggests that maybe an incomplete story is better since you can always imagine your preferred ending

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

4 Ways Patrick Rothfuss Can Help You Improve Your Writing

Good night everyone!!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

You motherfucker, you piece of poo poo

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I love how every loving single one of these Patrick Rothfuss himself does not follow.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Finishing a book takes focused, dedicated time. Writing as a hobby is fun, but if you want to publish, you need to find time to really, genuinely put in the work.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I honestly wish Malazan got all the press Rothfuss got because at least it is a complete story and better books.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think the painfully overwrought angst and endless chapters of plot stalling introspection of the later Malazan books is much better than Rothfuss's 'silence of three parts' twaddle honestly and in any case wouldn't appeal to the type of fantasy fan who felt validated by Name of the Wind's hackey purple prose

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I tried reading Malazan but I think I caught it at the time where I was very, very tired of Fantasy and the first chapters encompassed all of the reason why I was falling out of the genre.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Gardens of the Moon is the price you pay for the insanity that is Karsa.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I read a few books of the Malazan series. Only thing I remember being interesting was a fat man running around playing the fool but was secretly a spymaster or some poo poo. And a dragon that took human form?

Or maybe it was a draccus in human form.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It has some cool fight scenes and 600 characters who who have all been drafted out with their character classes and power levels as their primary characteristics, if you don't enjoy both of those things it is very much not the series for you

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It had like 2-3 ancient empires that if awoken would destroy the world including the bone sword guys who could wipe out entire armies.

Hard to have a care for some epic saga when they basically stumble into into a different almost apocalypse every book.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I remember liking memories of ice the most, but yeah malazan used to be the two authors RPG or something so you can see how they did a sort of proto-litrpg with pretensions of literary weight. It's a mess but there is some good stuff in there.

It does suffer from constantly tripping over new and more awesome world ending badasses every five minutes but its trying to do something thats uncommon which is a high powered fantasy series with like anthropology in it.

Undead neanderthals are cool, undead magic (or hi tech?) super dinos are cool.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pentyne posted:

It had like 2-3 ancient empires that if awoken would destroy the world including the bone sword guys who could wipe out entire armies.

Hard to have a care for some epic saga when they basically stumble into into a different almost apocalypse every book.

Malazan made a whole lot of sense to me once I learned it was basically the guy turning his pen and paper sessions into a fantasy series.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Malazan made a whole lot of sense to me once I learned it was basically the guy turning his pen and paper sessions into a fantasy series.

You mean the way there are three pairs of "brooding assassin and his mate, a theatrical and talkative wizard"?

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I like Malazan quite a bit but there are at least a few places where you can see the GURPS campaigns awkwardly stitched together. Like one character who's in a life-altering cataclysmic seige and becomes the giant shape-shifting avatar of a tiger war god and the next time you see him he's ditched everybody and taken a job as a caravan guard with a new cast of NPCs.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Finishing a book takes focused, dedicated time. Writing as a hobby is fun, but if you want to publish, you need to find time to really, genuinely put in the work.

Indeed. But that's why he hasn't finished the third book, or perhaps even started it. He's too busy loving around with other things and not even bothering with the writing part.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Glowing review of rothfuss on the hacker news comments page. If you’re not familiar, that website is filled with libertarian techbros who have the worst takes on everything

quote:

screye 13 minutes ago | next [–]

Kingkiller is the epitome of fantasy fiction. Every word is a joy to read. I haven't read anything else that brings as big a smile on my face. Kingkiller's literary qualities are head and shoulders above anything in fantasy fiction. Every word, every metaphor and every description is chosen with care, so as to convey the exact emotion that the author wants you to feel. I hope the final book comes out soon.
Kingkiller is eternally compared to Sanderson's books. But, to me they are completely different writers. Sanderson's books are written competently, but the fun is in the story and interweaving pieces. Sanderson embodies the ultimate refinement of fantasy fiction tropes to produce something that's faultless, yet traditional.
On the other hand, Rothfuss is crafting something that does not lend itself well to comparison. It is perfect, because it is what it is meant to be. In some ways, Kingkiller feels closer to Shakespeare than any contemporary fantasy fiction work.
I am inclined to refer to Rothfuss as the Einstein to Sanderson's Von Neumann.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mlnhd posted:

Glowing review of rothfuss on the hacker news comments page. If you’re not familiar, that website is filled with libertarian techbros who have the worst takes on everything

ahem.

:lmao:

How the hell do you square that away with how obviously dropped from short stories a lot of the chapters are?

Kchama fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 20, 2022

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

mlnhd posted:

this sounds like that video where rlm was talking about boyhood "it's a masterpiece of perfection"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kchama posted:

ahem.

:lmao:

How the hell do you square that away with how obviously dropped from short stories a lot of the chapters are?

Coding and hacking is mostly just stringing together unrelated short blocks, often written or inspired by other people, until you end up with a somewhat functional whole.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

IT guys give me the same "confidently stupid" vibe that a lot of surgeons do.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

On the one hand, I want to laugh and point out to my wife that Sanderson's books are being compared to that Rothfuss guy I infrequently complain about because of course they are, but on the other hand I don't want to further disrupt her beleaguered attempt at finishing Gardens of the Moon 'cause then her and a few friends might read The Wizard Knight next.

Got so pumped at the announcement I had to listen to it again, and then they stalled out. Looking forward to listening to it again again when they pick it up.

There was a time when I might've liked Sanderson, but it's really hard to go from economy of words / understated to extravaganza of exposition.

Heck, there was a time when I thought GRRM was subtle.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Sanderson always feels like I'm reading a let's play of someone's RPG campaign played using a competent homebrew tabletop system. Where it's written that half the appeal is that you are reverse-engineering the system used by the story beats presented. Not my preference but putting him and his writings in the same conversational sphere as Rothfuss feels ridiculous.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Brandon's books sort of read like polished first drafts. When I say that, I don't mean it inherently negative as his books can sometimes be blessedly easy to read if you've been going too hard into Ye Olde Fantasie prose (which is probably why his books are so popular out of the Anglosphere). That said, I do very much feel like I'm doing proofreading in an amateur writer's group when I'm reading his "Kaladin walked to the door. Then he opened the door. Then he went inside," types of passages.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I looked at a Sanderson book once, and like the first 15 pages were describing a magic fight in excrutiating detail. Sorry dude, you can’t just describe the sick rear end anime fight you have playing in your head. Become a mangaka at that point, you know?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

porfiria posted:

I looked at a Sanderson book once, and like the first 15 pages were describing a magic fight in excrutiating detail. Sorry dude, you can’t just describe the sick rear end anime fight you have playing in your head. Become a mangaka at that point, you know?

I think literally every single one of his novels starts this way.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's his mark. Well, that and a character pining for the advanced technology of "a cannery."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Write the book, Rothfuss!

Also, I enjoy the fact that googling his name returns this:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Surely if you are an unknown author publishing your first novel and receive an advance on the remaining titles, there’s a rider in the contract that it has to be delivered by a hard date a reasonable distance in the future? Even if the first novel is a smash hit?

Publishers were bleeding even back when NoTW was published, I can’t imagine this wasn’t the case and we aren’t getting close to it being due. Unless it was only tied to the second title, and that’s why it was poo poo out with such haste.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's the 21st century, no one is clawing back advances. You put that money up as a bet, and just accept it as a loss.

You're not even allowed to lock them in a hotel room with a typewriter anymore.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yo is the third book ever coming out? Want to know more about female wind ninjas who think they spontaneously concieve children and if the worlds greates sex haver ever bangs curly haired whats her face

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yo is the third book ever coming out? Want to know more about female wind ninjas who think they spontaneously concieve children and if the worlds greates sex haver ever bangs curly haired whats her face

It's not.

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/05/03/patrick-rothfuss-has-an-update-on-the-doors-of-stone-chapter-hes-releasing/

He promised to release the chapter he claimed he would soon have written last year. It didn't materialize. He then promised he'd release it if his scamcharity was given 300k. It was. He still hasn't.

Combined with the fact that his editor said she has never been given anything on book 3 two years ago, he presumably only actually started writing it a little bit last year, but hasn't gotten past the prologue.

His life is busy, you see, and readers aren't owed books. Now keep sending him money to write more and he definitely will, but remember that you aren't owed anything!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kchama posted:

It's not.

He promised to release the chapter he claimed he would soon have written last year. It didn't materialize. He then promised he'd release it if his scamcharity was given 300k. It was. He still hasn't.

I had wondered if he ever did keep his word and release what he said he would. I figured he wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kchama posted:

I'm pretty sure this approaches if not outright crosses the line into charitable fraud if people were donating because of said promise.

e: Though since the money was going to a "charity" and not being taken from it probably not?