Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Whether he oughtn’t or ought, he won’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss/status/1551047382644789249
lol, lmao

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That tweet is a better piece of writing about hubris than the entirety of the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So he's been reading about as much as he's been writing, huh? drat, what a sick author

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I don't think you can claim Book 3 is a book when it hasn't been written yet.

EDIT: I am tired and butchered what I posted

Kchama fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 24, 2022

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
I just hope there's more fairy sex, so much more fairy sex, m'lady.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

branedotorg posted:

I just hope there's more fairy sex, so much more fairy sex, m'lady.

Don't forget the ninja and barmaid sex.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Rothfuss's publisher, DAW Books, got acquired by Astra House, becoming part of a Beijing-based multinational media group. They were independent publishers for a long time. I guess they weren't making enough money to carry on.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

rollick posted:

Rothfuss's publisher, DAW Books, got acquired by Astra House, becoming part of a Beijing-based multinational media group. They were independent publishers for a long time. I guess they weren't making enough money to carry on.

Guess it is hard to pay the bills when the golden goose stops laying golden eggs. I'd suggest editting costs of like 10 years start to add up, but then I remember that his editor says that he never turned anything in.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Goddamn. Even if we agree to pretend he's written anything in years (which no reasonable person would), "the best book I've read lately is the one I wrote" is breathtakingly arrogant.

Very on-brand.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Being 'breathtakingly arrogant' is kind of Rothfuss's entire gimmick. He is an arrogance elemental, whose only acts on this planet is to sneer at everyone else, especially that girl he liked back in high school but is now a dirty sex-haver.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

StonecutterJoe posted:

Goddamn. Even if we agree to pretend he's written anything in years (which no reasonable person would), "the best book I've read lately is the one I wrote" is breathtakingly arrogant.

Very on-brand.

There was an actor quote talking about how they were working with Steven Seagal on a movie and he came up to them talking about how he just read the best script ever. He asked Seagal who wrote it and he replied "Me."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rollick posted:

There was an article a few years about how people like Rothfuss can basically cripple smaller publishers because when they go all in on a mercurial talent with only one or two major successes eventually that income dries up and they don't have the resources to try and find/promote new talent.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

StonecutterJoe posted:

Very on-brand.

His preemptive defense of Slow Regard really just highlighted how much of a fraud he is and how fragile of an ego he possesses.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

There was an article a few years about how people like Rothfuss can basically cripple smaller publishers because when they go all in on a mercurial talent with only one or two major successes eventually that income dries up and they don't have the resources to try and find/promote new talent.

Did it actually call out Rothfuss for it, because that seems to be exactly what happened.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Does anyone know for sure if Patty grifted people to donate by promising to read the first chapter of book 3, then just pretending he didn't?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Tor would have been bankrupted if not for Robert Jordan and now Brandon Sanderson. My source for this information is Sanderson, but it's probably true.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

Does anyone know for sure if Patty grifted people to donate by promising to read the first chapter of book 3, then just pretending he didn't?

Lots of nerds over at Reddit are dunking on Patrick of Rothfuss for that charity grift.

Also, it's a new month... Write the book, Patrick!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Lots of nerds over at Reddit are dunking on Patrick of Rothfuss for that charity grift.

Also, it's a new month... Write the book, Patrick!

As you can tell, we know for sure. Patrick's just a huge grifter these days, who grifted so hard he crashed his publisher.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

muscles like this! posted:

There was an actor quote talking about how they were working with Steven Seagal on a movie and he came up to them talking about how he just read the best script ever. He asked Seagal who wrote it and he replied "Me."

The funny part of that story is that multiple people said they had the same encounter, so Seagal was going around, doing it to different people.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I remain amused at the redditors insisting the prose is good.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I remain amused at the redditors insisting the prose is good.

Its good for what rothfuss actually is, a college student with a thesaurus.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
There are probably thousands of college hacks out there writing poo poo better than Rothfuss

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Even if the prose was the most beautiful ever, it doesn't stop it from the fact that the most long-running plot in the books is Kvothe's attempts to pay his college tuition. Nothing happens for pretty much the entire everything. So little happens in the first book that one of the covers displays an event that happens in the second book.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Kchama posted:

Even if the prose was the most beautiful ever, it doesn't stop it from the fact that the most long-running plot in the books is Kvothe's attempts to pay his college tuition. Nothing happens for pretty much the entire everything. So little happens in the first book that one of the covers displays an event that happens in the second book.

Well, actually attempts to pay off college are a long running plot of many Americans life stories. Therefore the prose is not only beautiful, but really speaks to the minds of people who don't have enough experience to tell it is a hack trash.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

the third silence is the book never comin' out!!! :thurman:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

shirunei posted:

Well, actually attempts to pay off college are a long running plot of many Americans life stories. Therefore the prose is not only beautiful, but really speaks to the minds of people who don't have enough experience to tell it is a hack trash.

COLLEGE TUITION with lovely prose! What a wonderful book!

Also, it still gets me that they have this scene early on where this guy is talking in wonder about some thing Kvothe did it and is all "And they say to this day the cobblestone can't be repaired! :O" when like... no, you don't repair COBBLESTONE. You replace it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Southpaugh posted:

Its good for what rothfuss actually is, a college student with a thesaurus.

First year college students, maybe.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Colors in KKC (self.KingkillerChronicle)

submitted an hour ago by CCRthunder

I was doing a reread and noticed that ash grey and charcoal black come up alot most notably encanis(trapis) and myr tarinial (skarpi) as well as bredons colors. While I was looking at that it seemed like grey and black would also come in combos with red green and/or white.

The parallel of encanis and myr tariniel. In both stories encanis is chained to an iron wheel and thrown in coals and his clothes char black from the heat but don’t burn(yet) but eventually they turn to ash. Which gives black, red(from the fire) and grey Myr tariniel is charred black and burns and runs with blood. also giving black, red and grey. I also realized on this read through that myr tariniel is martyr-iniel it seems like iniel means place since there is also a faeriniel. Im not sure who the martyr is here(Lanre?selitos?) but with encanis menda seems to be a martyr. There might also be a connection between the tree encanis is leaned against and the tower of the amyr but I don’t know what it is. Not sure where the iron wheel is in skarpis story. From the encanis story we get the phrase “god’s charred body” which is said many times throughout the books by different people. Kvothes clothes get charred often including the green cloak fela gave him. There are also many descriptions of burnt timbers especially at the destroyed farm and during the bandit sequence. And in severen he describes a scene of the charred bones of buildings.

It definitely seems like encanis story is a retelling of skarpis story with the details messed up. But im wondering if myr tariniel was a person who was martyred not a city. Which make the other six cities people too i guess? Other things i noticed were that menda has coal black eyes and more obviously encanis is shadow hamed and can’t tell lies.

Now on to color stuff Originally i thought it was black grey and white but i saw red and even green come up too often I thought white was the moon, grey is the actual color of the moon, black was new moon and maybe red for lunar eclipse (idk if those exist in kkc) but i couldnt fit green in

For black we have Charcoal which is mentioned often and usually buried in ash, kvothe uses it at least twice once on denna (trebon) and once on himself(maer) to fight poison. Cinders eyes, mendas eyes and hair. We get a charred circle on devis desk A charred circle at trebon inn And a broken charred circle at false troupers

Black combos Encanis (tarbean) gives kvothe silver money and has a green companion. For a black grey green combo (white if you count the snow and red if you count kvothes blood) Kvothes lute case (from denna) which is red inside and has steel clasps for black, red and grey Kvothe gets red green black silver clothes from maer and a black and green set. Bredons colors black and grey

Grey Maers eyes( anger often described with coals and ash) All the adem eyes The swords Adem plain clothes Greystones Greyfallow

White Sometimes the ash is described as white bredons hair (described as halo) Cinders hair Myr tariniel (pre burn) Bone

Red Bloody amyr Kvothes hair Kvothes cloak from maer Blood (kvothe often bloody handed especially at sword tree) Flame Red and green crown vs skin dancer Adem clothes

Green Felas cloak (green and black) The tinkers cloak (was black turned dark green) Kvothes eyes which change color and sometimes are dark (black?) and even once grey Elodins eyes

The chandrian seem to be on the white grey black color scheme Amyr are red and black? Adem seems to be red and grey Kvothe seems to be green grey red

I feel like the colors mean something but im not seeing the pattern

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A few different people ahve suggested I close this thread, under the theory that it's just toxic rothfuss-slamming and there's little point in keeping it going.

Do people feel this thread is still serving a purpose or should I take it out back behind the chemical sheds?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I don't really think it's toxic. There's no going into the subreddit and touching the poop or anything, and Rothfuss is definitely worthy of heavy criticism given the past decade+ of no real authorship.

I personally find it fun to get the occasional update on how he's putting off writing the book, what with promising to read chapters or do writings streams and whatnot.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A few different people ahve suggested I close this thread, under the theory that it's just toxic rothfuss-slamming and there's little point in keeping it going.

Do people feel this thread is still serving a purpose or should I take it out back behind the chemical sheds?

name and shame

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They should just post about how much they like Rothfuss and his books if they're that desperate for positive Rothfuss vibes. I may disagree with what they say, but it's not like anyone here is really all that hostile. Threads don't gotta be love-threads to be here, do they?

Like hell, maybe we should get the thread really roaring by talking about how dumb the bandit-hunting trip was and how transparently it was to get him out of town so he could become a sex-ninja god.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I suggested closing the thread, not for "slamming" Rothfuss or because there's anything "toxic" about that (speaking only for myself) but just because it's been chasing its tail for years now and has manifestly run out of things to discuss. Not even the drama over the charity reading has done anything to budge the thread's conversation out of its perfectly circular rut. Write the book. Worldbuilders is a scam. Magic college, fairy sex, cut-flower sound. Did you know that one chapter is just a short story that he shoehorned in? The nerd girl blog post. Cheerios. You could make a bingo card of this poo poo and win at least twice on every page. It's as mindless as it is endless.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 5, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Unbookmark the thread, then :shrug:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Who cares? If people want to talk about it stuff, let them. If you want to talk about fresh stuff, you can. It's not like the books have been mined super deep. There's still to make fun of like Cinder showing up every week in a new disguise and being an equally ineffective villain in every single appearance, to tie back into that Reddit post you quoted. There's different mythic origin stories of the bad guys, which includes Denna's made up version that her patron had her make a song out of, only we that this is a super lie because the bad guys are really bad (and Kvothe even just goes WOW SHE'S SO loving WRONG).

Like, the only part of that that's been even mentioned on this page is the charity, and pretty much because it was brought up that other people are noticing and grumbling.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 5, 2022

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Thread should stay open, I'm not gonna know if Rothfuss will ever get his comeuppance otherwise.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Willeh posted:

Thread should stay open, I'm not gonna know if Rothfuss will ever get his comeuppance otherwise.

Well there's been partial comeuppance. Since the TV show and movies all fell through.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Kchama posted:

Well there's been partial comeuppance. Since the TV show and movies all fell through.

He's probably secretely relieved since it means he doesn't have to come up with an ending like GRRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dienes posted:

He's probably secretely relieved since it means he doesn't have to come up with an ending like GRRM.

Or a third book at all. I assume that's what killed it all, because the story is stuck at '2/3rds' (not a correct number, since there's no way book 3 is going to be able to end the plot) and Rothfuss definitely hasn't figured out what's happening next.