Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

A more interesting writer might let him get it on with the fairy and be sent off with compliments, only to return to the world literally a century later, friendless and forgotten. Fae time is a funny thing.

This would also give his exploits time to become the legends that the whole framing story is based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PJOmega posted:

This would also give his exploits time to become the legends that the whole framing story is based on.

It's honestly baffling that he didn't do something like that, when it was right there.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
But then Denna would be dead and we can't have that can we.

Maybe she could have been turned into a Chandarian during that 100 years that might have been... something

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Kind of surprising that he didn't do that, but then have Kvothe run into Denna's granddaughter who remembers tales of the perfect man who got away from her Grandmother and instantly falls in love with Kvothe. Also she's way hotter and not a prostitute!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Atlas Hugged posted:

Kind of surprising that he didn't do that, but then have Kvothe run into Denna's granddaughter who remembers tales of the perfect man who got away from her Grandmother and instantly falls in love with Kvothe. Also she's way hotter and not a prostitutethe smart girl. The shy girl. The one who wears glasses and is a little socially awkward. The one who screws up the curve in chemistry so Kvothe gets an A- instead of an A!

The problem is that this would require some research and reading some folklore, or at least "books that aren't his".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yond Cassius posted:

The problem is that this would require some research and reading some folklore, or at least "books that aren't his".

He can only process other writing that flows like neurons over a smooth brain.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Yond Cassius posted:

Sometimes I wonder how his not-wife feels about Rothfuss publicly posting about still being hung up on the one that got away.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

pentyne posted:

He can only process other writing that flows like neurons over a smooth brain.

:five:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

BananaNutkins posted:

I think I could enjoy a wish fulfillment not-ninja fantasy book with a smugly perfect sex god protagonist if the author leaned into it a little more. But Rothfuss is all spin and projection. He's more of a grabass politician than a writer.

Ever read Shibumi?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Yond Cassius posted:

Oh for sure and it's things like this that are all the evidence you need that he's not going to pull some unreliable narrator twist out of his hat at the end that recontextualizes the whole thing. If he was going to be clever, clever things would already be in the books.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kchama posted:

It's honestly baffling that he didn't do something like that, when it was right there.

It's not baffling. It's a good idea and Rothfuss is a bad writer who got lucky much like the woman who wrote Twilight.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's not baffling. It's a good idea and Rothfuss is a bad writer who got lucky much like the woman who wrote Twilight.

that's not fair, meyer actually finished her series

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Human Tornada posted:

Ever read Shibumi?

No, but the Wikipedia article got my attention:

Shibumi Wikipedia Entry posted:

Using his skills in the art of the "Naked/Kill", a martial discipline that trains in the use of ordinary items as instruments of death...

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Having his publisher openly complain about a lack of work has sent Rothfuss scurrying into the dark.

No Twitch streams, no blog updates, no tweets, no Rick and Morty comics, no DnD in front of a fawning crowd.

It must be killing him on the inside.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Having his publisher openly complain about a lack of work has sent Rothfuss scurrying into the dark.

No Twitch streams, no blog updates, no tweets, no Rick and Morty comics, no DnD in front of a fawning crowd.

I attended one of the PAX shows, I'm guessing it was critical role? Dunno, never been into watching/listening to other people play games, friends wanted to see it and I tagged along.

Rothfuss had an insanely flamboyant entrance then proceeded to be a glum grumpy gus because he wasn't the center or the stage. The whole thing was awkward but he really was a downer.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm hoping that this has lead him to do some writing but who knows.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

I'm hoping that this has lead him to do some writing but who knows.

why would you hope that

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I want him to just finish his "trilogy".

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I have a suggestion for Mr. Rothfuss that could solve his problem: rather than do the incredibly hard work of writing another doorstop novel, finish the trilogy as an interpretive dance. It would be perfect for Twitch. He could portray all the characters, and convey their emotions much more clearly through elegant motion than through his unimaginative prose. And I bet he looks great in a leotard! Win-win.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Chicken Butt posted:

I have a suggestion for Mr. Rothfuss that could solve his problem: rather than do the incredibly hard work of writing another doorstop novel, finish the trilogy as an interpretive dance. It would be perfect for Twitch. He could portray all the characters, and convey their emotions much more clearly through elegant motion than through his unimaginative prose. And I bet he looks great in a leotard! Win-win.

I'm imagining something like a Disney live-filmed musical, a la Peter Pan on NBC, but Rothfuss believes he's remaking the Cremaster Cycle the entire time.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I know a lot has changed since the first book came out in 2007, but it's pretty bad that Kvothe is basically white and that Rothfuss based his culture around The Romani but then stripped out everything unique about them and made them all white.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Elderbean posted:

I know a lot has changed since the first book came out in 2007, but it's pretty bad that Kvothe is basically white and that Rothfuss based his culture around The Romani but then stripped out everything unique about them and made them all white.

The extremely low IQs wouldn’t make for an interesting story or believable heroic origin, though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Drone Jett posted:

The extremely low IQs wouldn’t make for an interesting story or believable heroic origin, though.

That's a hell of a rap sheet.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Chicken Butt posted:

"Patrick. It's your cousin Marvin. You know that new idea you were looking for. Well read this".

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Drone Jett posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

How has this dude managed to repeat the exact same racism for almost two years with one ban

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Office Pig posted:

How has this dude managed to repeat the exact same racism for almost two years with one ban

Last time the anti-irish stuff was so weird I thought he might be trying for satire, so it was only a three-day. Then today, nope, confirmed!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Last time the anti-irish stuff was so weird I thought he might be trying for satire, so it was only a three-day. Then today, nope, confirmed!

And they're already back.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Elderbean posted:

We could reference IRL Romani musical traditions that inspired a ton of European classical music but why would we do that when we can play notes that say "sad?"

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Whatever happened to that bard guy who was taken away by the secret police for speaking out about the church and knew about the guys who killed the main characters family. That seems like an interesting plot to talk about, especially since he didn't seem to be worried about being arrested

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Terror Sweat posted:

Whatever happened to that bard guy who was taken away by the secret police for speaking out about the church and knew about the guys who killed the main characters family. That seems like an interesting plot to talk about, especially since he didn't seem to be worried about being arrested

He's the one who led Chronicler to Kvothe if I remember correctly so he's definitely still out there and obviously has some greater link to him.

In book 3 I guess...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Rothfuss has retreated into his Cheerio lair. We have done it. The evil is defeated

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Terror Sweat posted:

The secret police took his Cheerios like a sword stabbing a river bottom.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HIJK posted:

Rothfuss has retreated into his Cheerio lair. We have done it. The evil is defeated

Just wait for 20 years and then children will once again be led into dark tomes and the evil will once again have to be confronted.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So what living SFF authors are worth our time? Might as well put some recommendations on this thread since there's gently caress all else to talk about.

Abercrombie does characterization and black-comedy best, and while I haven't finished the first book of Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy I do know anything that wins three straight Hugo's is probably worth poo poo.

I've fallen out of favor with Jim Butcher because while his books never declined, they never really improved, and I'm getting on in years at the old age of 29 so I'm not going commit to series that take two decades to resolve. Butcher also says some stupid poo poo on social-media, not outright hate-speech like She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, just ignorant poo poo.

A good bet for a long-running series would be something structured like Discworld. Every book can stand-alone, you don't need to read the boring first installments, and the bearded man/woman writing it isn't going to fob you off by teasing plot-developments that won't happen until a hypothetical Book 3.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 23, 2020

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So what living SFF authors are worth our time? Might as well put some recommendations on this thread since there's gently caress all else to talk about.

Abercrombie does characterization and black-comedy best, and while I haven't finished the first book of Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy I do know anything that wins three straight Hugo's is probably worth poo poo.

Can confirm Jemisin is A+ tier. Broken Earth and Inheritance were both pretty amazing (but dear god Inheritance was horny as gently caress)

Glen Cook is awesome and Black Company is one of my default fantasy recommendations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've fallen out of favor with Jim Butcher because while his books never declined, they never really improved, and I'm getting on in years at the old age of 29 so I'm not going commit to series that take two decades to resolve. Butcher also says some stupid poo poo on social-media, not outright hate-speech like She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, just ignorant poo poo.

I definitely recommend Joe Abercrombie. He's probably my favorite SFF author right now.

I agree on Jim Butcher. I read his latest book and it felt way too heavy on the 'sexy vampire energy seducing sex sex sex'. Maybe I thought that was fun when I started the series 20 years ago but he seems to leaning on it more and more these days.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I tried to read the first Dresden book but it hasn't grabbed me. It's not bad, and there's enough inciting incidents that it should be a gripping read, but i'm not so interested in the character. Feels like a wizard could do better for himself and not be going around in a trench coat and hat in present day like he was cosplaying Bogart.

Abercrombie is my favorite. Read all his books and have reread some.

I enjoyed Lies of Locke Lamora by Lynch but never felt compelled to read the sequels (maybe once the series is finished I will.)

Picked up a KJ Parker book, The Folding Knife, on sale the other day. I had previously read his book Sharps and wasn't totally won over but he's competent. I would probably enjoy his more if there was a little magic in his world. Just a bit.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ccs posted:

I tried to read the first Dresden book but it hasn't grabbed me. It's not bad, and there's enough inciting incidents that it should be a gripping read, but i'm not so interested in the character. Feels like a wizard could do better for himself and not be going around in a trench coat and hat in present day like he was cosplaying Bogart.

The first couple are universally agreed to be a bit rough, and with some early installment weirdness.

I believe the usual advice is to dive in at book 3 these days.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I tried book three and oh boy, it's not any better. Butcher is insanely bad at any sort of mystery and the first three books are him attempting a noir mystery knockoff. And as someone who likes mystery stories, they are literally the worst I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think the vast majority of jim butcher's readers, like me, got into it as young teens and at this point are just riding the train out of inertia to see what horny thought jim had at 2 am

"oh the polka nerd had a threesome with the gamer werewolves, sure jim"