Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

lol I've been reading this thread for several years and there's still no progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Looking back fondly on the bygone days when this was the new Rothfuss thread.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

WHY NOT DONE?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Wendigee posted:

WHY NOT DONE?

He's still working on his fifth pre-write.

It's like writing, but it's where you just imagine how great and perfect it's going to be when you do it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:lol: Rothfuss gives more non-answers than a loving politician.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

:lol: Rothfuss gives more non-answers than a loving politician.

Yes, but it absolutely, completely does not matter.

Redditor reacting to the Twitch Q&A posted:

Woooooooo actual book news!!! I’m so hype

KKC Is like an ex you say you’re over, but the second they text you, you fall over yourself to respond

I'm super keen for it. I think the fact that he's actually wanting to talk about it, even if he tells us nothing, is something.

It seems to me, from my analysts couch that he was overwhelmed by the popularity of the books, and how strongly people feel about it. He is going to therapy and is terrified how people will be disappointed. And he can't do it. Hugest block of all time, and maybe saddest too. I wish him luck. I feel I understand much more now

Wait... so all the people in this sub who heard that publisher's complaint, panicked, and instantly jumped to the conclusion that there was 0% chance the book would ever be published, with no reason to believe that, and then dominated this subreddit with their bitter laments every day since, may have been wrong?

You don't say...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Scifi fan Stockholm Syndrome is a hell of a thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I mean, that's just like politics too.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

quote:

Wait... so all the people in this sub who heard that publisher's complaint, panicked, and instantly jumped to the conclusion that there was 0% chance the book would ever be published, with no reason to believe that, and then dominated this subreddit with their bitter laments every day since, may have been wrong?

You don't say...

This is truly a galaxy brain take.

Apparently, a publisher publicly admitting they've seen nothing in like a decade from an author who is supposedly working hard on a book is "no reason to believe it will never published".

Whereas a guy whose claim to fortune and fame relies on people believing he still might finish it claiming, with zero evidence and vague allusions, is plenty of reason to hold out hope.

Obviously, if he's using "may" in the most literal of ways, then sure, they "may" be wrong [narrator - they were not wrong].

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I found some leaked excerpts of The Doors of Stone (sorry, can't say where), and holy poo poo, I can't believe how wrong we've been. Rothfuss is a legend. This is going to be incredible.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

The real book was the blog posts he made along the way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I found some leaked excerpts of The Doors of Stone (sorry, can't say where), and holy poo poo, I can't believe how wrong we've been. Rothfuss is a legend. This is going to be incredible.

This is loving awesome! I knew that editor was just jealous of the attention Rothfuss is getting. My concerns have been been put to bed!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Would you say that it's going to be a spectacle? BotL was right all along!

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

The Latest Rothfuss Blog posted:

So far, this year has been fairly low-key over here at Rothco. I’ve been catching up on my sleep and getting my house in order. (Both literally and figuratively. My underwear drawer is *orderly* folks.) I’ve been livestreaming over on twitch fairly regularly. I’m mostly continuing my second play-through of Numenera, but I also dipped in to do some Among Us with Felicia and her crew last week. A game where I was categorically bad at everything and was forced to resort to use my Bene Gesserit powers.

Now that sounds like a guy who's writing feverishly, just absolutely wringing himself creatively dry to get the final book out as people bug him constantly about it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Now that sounds like a guy who's writing feverishly, just absolutely wringing himself creatively dry to get the final book out as people bug him constantly about it.

God I love that in several sentences describing his year, writing isn't even tangentially mentioned. Fairly low-key indeed.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Meanwhile:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Even Martin wrote several hundred pages of Winds of Winter in the past year.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ccs posted:

:thunk:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Oh gently caress off Rothfuss. I barely have time to do anything between actually working and writing only a mere 1000 words a day.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Ccs posted:

:chloe:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Ccs posted:

Well, at least Martin was willing to write a blog claiming that he wrote.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Captain Hotbutt posted:

You can finish Numenera in like 5 hours. You are advised to do this because the game is trash.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Why does this moron think "Over the past year I've mostly been sleeping in and playing video games" is worthy of a status update? If that's the best you can offer up maybe just keep it to yourself.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I should note that even with a normal author pace of 2000 words a day I finished my first book in three months. It wasn't a long one, but god drat he should have SOMETHING written.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

Why does this moron think "Over the past year I've mostly been sleeping in and playing video games" is worthy of a status update? If that's the best you can offer up maybe just keep it to yourself.

Because he (correctly) believes his fans want to hear about him doing nothing.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because he (correctly) believes his fans want to hear about him doing nothing.

He doesn't want to write, he just wants to be known as "successful fantasy author".

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The smart move was to use a pseudonym when writing the books and fake your death after the first year of writer's block

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Rothfuss just needs to embrace "write what you know" and make book 3 about the Chronicler dude hassling him about when he's going to get around to killing that king.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Chronicler's wrist ached. He stared glassy eyed at the man before him, who was going on about yet another deflowered maiden. The innkeeper's mouth became wetter the more he talked, accentuating certain syllables with an irritating smack. Chronicler would have preferred silence.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ccs posted:

Chronicler's wrist ached like the wing of a swallow chased down by futility and grand dreams. He stared with eyes of cracked sea-glass at the man before him, who was strumming out the warp and weft of tales around yet another deflowered maiden, her innocence claimed as sure as tracks in the autumn earth. The innkeeper's mouth became wetter the more he talked, sodden with years, accentuating certain syllables with the smack of a lash at midnight beneath the waning moon. Chronicler would have preferred silence, though of how many parts, he could breathe not a word.

ed: had a metaphor that was too coherent

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 4, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

eXXon posted:

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.

quote:

Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but nobody wanna lift no heavy-rear end weights.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

ed: had a metaphor that was too coherent

"Why use one word when you can use fifty incoherent ones" sums up Rothfuss pretty good.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kchama posted:

"Why use one word when you can use fifty incoherent ones" sums up Rothfuss pretty good.

His new policy is "Why use one word when you can use zero"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

His new policy is "Why use one word when you can use zero"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

While I was searching for a new fantasy series to read I came across "The Empire of Silence", which was pitched as a sci-fi combination of The Name of the Wind and Dune. Most people have given it good reviews but there's one observant goodreads reviewer who noted how much the author lifted. Ironically, this author actually has released his third book in the series, but since his series will apparently be 5 books perhaps he will pull a Rothfuss eventually.

A selection of familiar passages...

[Empire of Silence]
So let us bypass history, sidestep the politics and the marching tramp of empires. Forget the beginnings of mankind in the fire and ash of Old Earth, and so too ignore the Cielcin rising in cold and from darkness. Those tales are recorded elsewhere in all the tongues of mankind and her subjects. Let us move to the only beginning I’ve a right to: my own.
---
[The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss)]
Very well, for simplicity's sake, let us assume I am the center of creation. In doing this, let us pass over innumerable boring stories: the rise and fall of empires, sagas of heroism, ballads of tragic love. Let us hurry forward to the only tale of any real importance." His smile broadened. "Mine."

[Empire of Silence]
During the war, I was Hadrian Halfmortal and Hadrian the Deathless. After the war, I was the Sun Eater. To the poor people of Borosevo, I was a myrmidon called Had. To the Jaddians, I was Al Neroblis. To the Cielcin, I was Oimn Belu and worse things besides. I have been many things: soldier and servant, captain and captive, sorcerer and scholar and little more than a slave.
But before I was any of these, I was a son.
---
My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.
But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant 'to know.'

[Empire of Silence]
In my long life I have known too many palatines, men and women both, who so abused their underlings. There are words for creatures who so abuse their power, but none shall ever be applied to me.
---
Needless to say, I kept my distance. There are names for people who take advantage of women who are not in full control of themselves, and none of those names will ever rightfully be applied to me.

[Empire of Silence]
Her nostrils flared, and she leaned on what I would one day learn was her favorite swear word: "Imperials."
---
[The Warrior's Apprentice (Lois McMaster Bujold)
She went off toward the library, muttering her favorite swear word under her breath, "Barrayarans!"

[Empire of Silence]
My mother was late to my birth, and both my parents watched from a platform above the surgical theater while I was decanted from the vat.
---
[Diplomatic Immunity (Lois McMaster Bujold)]
She breathed a short laugh. "For all that I try to be all modern and galactic, that feels so strange. All sorts of men don't make it home for the births of their children. But 'My mother was out of town on the day I was born, so she missed it,' just seems ... seems like a more profound complaint, somehow."

[Empire of Silence]
I spun to face him, shrugged, and reframed my thought. “They have no say in being eaten. Pawns again. Biology is destiny.”
---
[Miles Errant (Lois McMaster Bujold]
"Biology is Destiny," gasped Miles, popping his eyes open.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pretty sure that's a goon because I remember a similar breakdown of the book in this thread (or the previous iteration).

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

While I was searching for a new fantasy series to read I came across "The Empire of Silence", which was pitched as a sci-fi combination of The Name of the Wind and Dune. Most people have given it good reviews but there's one observant goodreads reviewer who noted how much the author lifted. Ironically, this author actually has released his third book in the series, but since his series will apparently be 5 books perhaps he will pull a Rothfuss eventually.

A selection of familiar passages...

[Empire of Silence]
So let us bypass history, sidestep the politics and the marching tramp of empires. Forget the beginnings of mankind in the fire and ash of Old Earth, and so too ignore the Cielcin rising in cold and from darkness. Those tales are recorded elsewhere in all the tongues of mankind and her subjects. Let us move to the only beginning I’ve a right to: my own.
---
Very well, for simplicity's sake, let us assume I am the center of creation. In doing this, let us pass over innumerable boring stories: the rise and fall of empires, sagas of heroism, ballads of tragic love. Let us hurry forward to the only tale of any real importance." His smile broadened. "Mine."

[Empire of Silence]
During the war, I was Hadrian Halfmortal and Hadrian the Deathless. After the war, I was the Sun Eater. To the poor people of Borosevo, I was a myrmidon called Had. To the Jaddians, I was Al Neroblis. To the Cielcin, I was Oimn Belu and worse things besides. I have been many things: soldier and servant, captain and captive, sorcerer and scholar and little more than a slave.
But before I was any of these, I was a son.
---
My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.
But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant 'to know.'

[Empire of Silence]
In my long life I have known too many palatines, men and women both, who so abused their underlings. There are words for creatures who so abuse their power, but none shall ever be applied to me.
---
Needless to say, I kept my distance. There are names for people who take advantage of women who are not in full control of themselves, and none of those names will ever rightfully be applied to me.

[Empire of Silence]
Her nostrils flared, and she leaned on what I would one day learn was her favorite swear word: "Imperials."
---
[The Warrior's Apprentice (Lois McMaster Bujold)
She went off toward the library, muttering her favorite swear word under her breath, "Barrayarans!"

[Empire of Silence]
My mother was late to my birth, and both my parents watched from a platform above the surgical theater while I was decanted from the vat.
---
[Diplomatic Immunity (Lois McMaster Bujold)]
She breathed a short laugh. "For all that I try to be all modern and galactic, that feels so strange. All sorts of men don't make it home for the births of their children. But 'My mother was out of town on the day I was born, so she missed it,' just seems ... seems like a more profound complaint, somehow."

[Empire of Silence]
I spun to face him, shrugged, and reframed my thought. “They have no say in being eaten. Pawns again. Biology is destiny.”
---
[Miles Errant (Lois McMaster Bujold]
"Biology is Destiny," gasped Miles, popping his eyes open.

The Bujold ones seem a lot more of a stretch than the Rothfuss ones. "Biology is Destiny" is a famous phrase from Freud. The second Bujold one doesn't have anything really in common beyond the idea of a mother being late to their own child's birth and the first one is probably closest.

The Rothfuss stuff is pretty indisputable though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Maybe he can finish the book then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kchama posted:

The second Bujold one doesn't have anything really in common beyond the idea of a mother being late to their own child's birth

In the Bujold universe in question, children are commonly gestated in vats and opening is referred to at least once as decanting.