Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ulmont posted:

In the Bujold universe in question, children are commonly gestated in vats and opening is referred to at least once as decanting.

That's from Brave New World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's from Brave New World.

Did Huxley use the decant term? It's been a while.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ulmont posted:

Did Huxley use the decant term? It's been a while.

"Decanted" is the standard term used throughout BNW, they use it the way we would use "born".

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"Decanted" is the standard term used throughout BNW, they use it the way we would use "born".

Fair enough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ccs posted:

While I was searching for a new fantasy series to read I came across "The Empire of Silence", which was pitched as a sci-fi combination of The Name of the Wind and Dune. Most people have given it good reviews but there's one observant goodreads reviewer who noted how much the author lifted. Ironically, this author actually has released his third book in the series, but since his series will apparently be 5 books perhaps he will pull a Rothfuss eventually.

I read part of the first book when it was first released and it was incredibly unoriginal. It was also just poorly written, repeating the same things over and over, like hope you enjoy reading about how the main character is taller than most people but considered short for someone who is an aristocrat. The book also does this really weird thing where the main character becomes a gladiator, it goes over his first battle in the arena and then skips his entire career. This might make sense if the book had some kind of momentum to the story where it needed to move on to the next thing, except then it just starts farting around at his new job where he's companion/tutor to the teenaged kids of a rich guy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

I read part of the first book when it was first released and it was incredibly unoriginal. It was also just poorly written, repeating the same things over and over, like hope you enjoy reading about how the main character is taller than most people but considered short for someone who is an aristocrat. The book also does this really weird thing where the main character becomes a gladiator, it goes over his first battle in the arena and then skips his entire career. This might make sense if the book had some kind of momentum to the story where it needed to move on to the next thing, except then it just starts farting around at his new job where he's companion/tutor to the teenaged kids of a rich guy.

Yeah I'll be skipping it, I don't have the patience for a 5 book series, especially not one that decides to crib from Rothfuss' ponderous sentences.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My favorite review of Empire of Silence is a rabid Rothfuss fan complaining:

quote:

A lot of descriptions felt over the top and melodramatic for me. For example, the first two lines of chapter 13 were:

"My world changed with the ringing of the bells. Deep as the cracking of stones beneath the earth they rang."

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm more furious than ever because that's a sentence that actually means something and carries a mood

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
The bells rang the stones?

That's some bell.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Patware posted:

i'm more furious than ever because that's a sentence that actually means something and carries a mood

"Deep as the cracking of stones beneath the earth they rang."

That's a really rough sentence that reads as a first pass of someone trying to impart gravitas. If I were to do a quick edit to it, chop off "they rang" and if necessary shift that to a following sentence.

Without context the whole sentence feels off. The imagery that it is attempting to call would fit in something like NK Jemisin's Broken Earth series since those are intrinsically tied plot and theme to the movement of the earth. For a space faring odyssey book it feels weird.

Mind you, it is still is better than half of Rothfuss' middling prose but that is damning with faint praise.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Patware posted:

I was filled with fury, like an icicle dropping on an unclear day, this wannabe writer, who wanted to be a writer so badly he actually wrote, unlike my hero who is a writer who hasn't done any writing in a decade, had dared to use overly dramatic language. Verboten! I exclaimed, slamming the keys in a syncopation like the sweet rhythm that I imagined he imagined when he imagined his beloved D*****, so clever, the name change, I thought, changing my mood as I neared the end of my review in one part, a rejection a renunciation and a rebuke.

I knew I'd done the sort of service that nice guys like me were never rewarded for, warning fellow enthusiasts away from a pale imitation of a man who was definitely not pale, but hale, preventing a sale.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The bells rang deep and wide as autumn's ending.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The bells rang deep and wide as autumn's turgid ending.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Benson Cunningham posted:

The bells rang the stones?

That's some bell.

It’s just saying the bell’s sound is deep as the sound of the earth moving. Kind of a weak bit of language since it can easily be misinterpreted to mean the bell was causing the earth to shake.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

trying to figure out if people thought i was defending the other mediocre writer or actively praising him instead of just wanting to push a rothfuss fan into some mud

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Beware "the gerund of x" similes. They'll make you think you're good at writing. As surely as the demuring of fantasy women pours forth from your thoughtful pen, they'll make you think that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The bells rang with the fury of a silence in three parts.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Reddit actually produced something entertaining.

Kingkiller fan predicts the Act 4 and 5 of Shakespeare plays.

quote:

The Scottish Play

I have a theory guys! Macbeth really isn't evil. Yeah sure he walked out of King Duncan's chamber and told his wife he killed the king, and acted very guilty. Be we didn't actually see Macbeth do it, all we saw is the aftermath and we assumed he did it. With Shakespeare being the master of twists, we can never actually be sure. Shakespeare is an unreliable narrator. I believe we're going to find out in Act 4 that Macduff is the real villian, and Macbeth is actually a good guy trying to defend King Duncan.

Hamlet

Hamlet is just faking his angst. I strongly believe Hamlet is just playing a Beautiful Game, pretending to be despondent and angsty as bait to draw Claudius into doing something rash and exposing himself. In Act V I predict Claudius will fall into Hamlet's trap, and Hamlet will deftly expose Claudius's crimes and take revenge on him and his allies, claiming the crown for himself. Then he'll head off for new adventures in Act 6 (because let's face it, there's no way this story can end in five acts), defeating the Fortinbras and saving Denmark.

Othello

Who else hates the fact that Othello is so into that bitch Desmodena, who's clearly just playing him for his money and power just like she plays everyone else she meets. I just hate the Desmodena parts so much. Othello is going to regret it when Desmodena betrays him in Act 5, dumping him for the Doge in forcing him to go into hiding.

Romeo and Juliet

Guys, I've read the first two acts of Romeo and Juliet about 20 times, it's by far my favorite play.
The writing is just soo good. But I just can't help thinking that Romeo is going to kill Benvolio in Act 3. Look at how he feels and talks about Benvolio, he's obviously very fond of him and very close to him, and we know things are going to go very wrong in Act 3. And you know with a writer like Shakespeare, it'll have to have an emotional impact. And there's no emotional impact bigger than if Romeo kills his best friend. I'm afraid for Mercutio too, but Benvolio's the one I'm really afraid for.

Midsummer Night's Dream

Does anyone think the Puck is going to turn out to be the son of Hermia and Lysander? Hear me out....

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I found some leaked excerpts of The Doors of Stone (sorry, can't say where), and holy poo poo, I can't believe how wrong we've been. Rothfuss is a legend. This is going to be incredible.

Yeah this guys source is legit.

My uncle works at Patrick Rothco and he has the Doors of Stone and says it’s really good and it’s almost finished and you can read it on the PlayStation 5 too.

He said I can read it when he gets back from Canada which coincidentally is where my girlfriend lives (she goes to another school, modeling school, no you can’t talk to her).

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Are you mocking me? That reads like a troll post, and I am no troll. The Doors of Stone is nothing short of a miraculous achievement, as rich and powerful as the settling of summer mists on a deep, unrippled lake.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Go away Patrick

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ccs posted:

Reddit actually produced something entertaining.

Kingkiller fan predicts the Act 4 and 5 of Shakespeare plays.

In a world where tons of people on r/wallstreetbets just watched their retirement and life savings go up in smoke for the sake of a meme stock and refusing to not be a "hodler" r/kingkiller still manages to have the most absolute morons still believing in a fairy tale and incapable of the slightest amount of introspection.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You clearly haven't heard about Star Citizen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You clearly haven't heard about Star Citizen.

By this point the amount of money that has been set on fire makes it more analogous to a religion.

Kingkiller is just like every goofy cringe tiktok of a guy thirsting over a sexy video or something but instead of a model or celeb is a fat old 40s man with crumbs in his beard smirking about what he technically did or didn't say.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Rothfuss had a beauty in three parts, like watching Gamestop stock rise.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Poking about Goodreads, guess who has 2 of the top 3 "Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century":

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/88.Best_Fantasy_Books_of_the_21st_Century

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Poking about Goodreads, guess who has 2 of the top 3 "Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century":

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/88.Best_Fantasy_Books_of_the_21st_Century

The thing that pisses me off most about this - why the gently caress are we still pretending that Fantasy comes in "books"? The unit of modern fantasy is the series, that's how people read them, that's how people talk about them. You wouldn't give Scorsese two Oscars, one for "the first half of The Departed" and another for "the second half of The Departed".

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The thing that pisses me off most about this - why the gently caress are we still pretending that Fantasy comes in "books"? The unit of modern fantasy is the series, that's how people read them, that's how people talk about them. You wouldn't give Scorsese two Oscars, one for "the first half of The Departed" and another for "the second half of The Departed".

Precisely for the reason of flooding lists.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
This list is proof that democracy doesn't work.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I wouldn't give Scorcese anything for that bloated turd. Imagine if authors won prizes for "adapting" foreign language novels by making them longer and less coherent. Well ok, someone can probably think of an example or two like the Hunger Games.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I mean it’s more like film series. Star Wars is a series but I can’t rate Empire lower just because Episodes 1-3 and 9 are bad.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lol at most of them being children's books

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Lol at most of them being children's books

Huh, weirdly, as you go down the list you see a pretty clear link to number of reviews vs rating.

Almost like the top books are just the ones with enough of an insane fanbase to spam 5 star reviews in the hundreds of thousands.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So Rothfuss had a stream the other day where he was a little more honest about how things are going with the third book. Apparently it took like 8 or 9 years to write the original big draft that was then split into three books, but the draft changed so much for The Name of the Wind and even more for it's sequel that the third is just a mess of tangled threads that no longer refer to anything. And now so much time has passed since book 2 was written that it's even harder to figure out how to change what's left of the original book 3 to mesh with all the new material.

I don't know if he'll ever actually manage it. Putting aside that the pacing doesn't allow for it, I think 10 years of not writing would rust up someone's skills to an incredible extent. And if he is actually as obsessive as he claims, I think it would be difficult to deal with reading the result of a decade of idleness and trying to edit that into something he's happy with. Still, I'm sure his editor would happily give him notes on any work in progress chapters. If he ever shows them to her.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 19, 2021

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Dude had nine years to polish his garbage and after all that time that's his reasoning?

It'd be sad if it wasn't so damned pathetic.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Honestly it sounds like misery. Sunday night homework blues for your entire life.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So he admitted he's been lying constantly about having a draft finished, including the one he tweeted a pic of?

gently caress him he's realizing his goodwill fron 2006 is gone and is scrambling to avoid any consequences.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

pentyne posted:

So he admitted he's been lying constantly about having a draft finished, including the one he tweeted a pic of?

gently caress him he's realizing his goodwill fron 2006 is gone and is scrambling to avoid any consequences.

"That's totally a finished draft, except none of it is usable anymore because my editors had to rip apart everything in my first book to make something remotely cohesive, and in the 14 years since I have done nothing to make it into a viable part three."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, going by the timeline

2006- Rothfuss sells the "book" and who knows if it was the trilogy draft or the final cut of book one
2007- Name of the Wind is released
2011- Wise Man's Fear

In 5 years, he went from a doorstopper of a draft into two complete books with the third one left. Since then

2014- Slow Regard of Silent Things i.e the magical pixie dream girl rape story
2013 &2014- Bast novellas

That's just book writing related to his only original idea.

The rest of it is as follows

- starting and running a charity that raises money for another charity but takes a cut to pay salaries to his friends and six figures in rent to a building he owns
- starting or appearing frequently on podcasts
- hopping onto tons of D&D podcasts
- taking any crpg work he can get, including being rebuffed when trying to offer his writing expertise
- writing Rick and Morty comics
- constant day long twitch Q & As

Any one of those things would've been fine on its own (except the charity) but taken together it's a pretty clear pattern of him just loving off to do whatever he wants and putting no effort into his vaunted "masterpiece".

In fact, the most common thing he's said about it is maybe he'll need to make it four books, and that it's just the prequel trilogy to the 'real' trilogy and other fart-huffing grandiose statements.

He's been living off of 10 years of hype with nothing to show for it, finally ate poo poo for the first time professional in his life when his editor outed him as doing nothing, and his first response was to basically claim the book was being worked on to perfection and to wait. His idiot r/kingkiller fans eagerly lapped it up at that time.

Now he's coming out with yet another walk back statement playing down his own lack of work trying to present it like it was something beyond his control. The excuse pattern has reached a point where everything he comes out to say should basically mean he's repudiated the last 7-8 years of things he said about the book as outright lies.

This is like textbook manipulation, offering apologies that seek to elicit sympathy for his struggle while minimizing the fact he's lied for the entire time, openly mocking people who questioned him, and probably just being a poo poo human being in general. He's played up his writer struggles and mental health too as a tool to deflect criticism, so he can gently caress off extra hard for using that excuse and still trying to pretend like he's been putting in work when people like Scott Lynch disappeared for years, and finally came back to freely admit their mental health issues and that they did no work at all on their books during that time.

Just to show how completely insane his fans are, this is his exact words

quote:

“The way that I write is largely implicit because if I wanted you to know more, I would’ve written it in the book. What I want you to do is wonder. And I have left treasure in there for people who want to wonder...and then wander...and then delve and theorize and bicker. I wrote this book not to be read the first time—that’s almost a byproduct. I wrote the book for people reading it a second time, so they go “oh, I couldn’t understand it, but now...”.

and they loving love it. Apparently now unfinished series with abstract mysteries are special categories of great writing.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ccs posted:

And if he is actually as obsessive as he claims,

He's not, otherwise he'd have at least tried to make poo poo like Taber and the Fake Ruh stuff fit their books instead of being stapled on like they were. Rothfuss is a hack and a fraud who got super lucky just like Stephanie Meyer did with Twilight only I don't think Meyer considers herself God's gift to literature like Rothfuss does.

e: At least Harry Potter, for all it's hosed up faults, is actually written in a way to appeal to kids so it's not too hard to see how that caught on without people realizing that the HP world is extremely bad and even "good" wizards are, at best, magic Illuminati Nazis who occasionally feel bad for their 'lessers'.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 19, 2021