Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pseudanonymous posted:

That sounds good.

Narrator: It wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i wasn't a fan of the root beer but my experiences with NYF orange were bang on

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
To give an idea of how mixed the reception is, for Killer Queen nights for a spell Ground Kontrol was doing BOGO for Not Your Father's Root Beer and they were still having trouble selling it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One of my favorite drunk parent stories was when me and my dad went to a metal bar and I bought him that 20% NYF rootbeer. He drank like three more of them and then told me about how I was conceived.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

PJOmega posted:

It's basically the drink if choice at Ground Kontrol.

I've probably seen it and not realized what it is.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Solice Kirsk posted:

One of my favorite drunk parent stories was when me and my dad went to a metal bar and I bought him that 20% NYF rootbeer. He drank like three more of them and then told me about how I was conceived.

Literally Your Father's Root Beer

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Literally Your Father's Root Beer

Unless his "dad" wasn't present.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was watching a video of a dog on YouTube and for some reason it recommended Patrick Rothfuss next, which reminded me of his existence. Then I searched "Patrick Rothfuss is creepy" and found nothing besides this 2012 Jezebel article . Many of the comments reference the third book and do I laughed.

Finally, I glanced at the KKC reddit and saw a pinned post that one of the long-time moderators died of cancer. Anyway, that's my story!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Almost and entire decade of "where's the book Patrick" while he screams at the world he doesn't owe them anything and to leave him alone while he streams Fallout 4.

Rothfuss is an old who's probably not on snapchat, and based on his wildly disrespectful attitude tor LMM and casual contempt for business etiquette and social habits he probably ruined any chance he has for being in positions of hiring/authority/power where he can really abuse people under his sway.

He's probably done more damage to his brand then a weak/rushed book 3 would ever do. No one is waiting with baited breath for his last book and the GoT season 8 disaster probably torched any studio's desire to adapt a book series that isn't finished.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm honestly surprised how active the Kingkiller reddit is after 9 years of nothing. There was something about those books that really got under people's skin.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

I'm honestly surprised how active the Kingkiller reddit is after 9 years of nothing. There was something about those books that really got under people's skin.

They were told that this was the epic fantasy series that'd be finished before the author's death!

They were lied to.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm guessing the new hotness is him claiming that Kingkiller is the prequel trilogy to his "real" story now? The top reddit posts are all fawning like "this makes perfect sense now he's got to pull both a ending and a beginning!"

Uh, that's not how the concept of a "prequel" works.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pentyne posted:

I'm guessing the new hotness is him claiming that Kingkiller is the prequel trilogy to his "real" story now? The top reddit posts are all fawning like "this makes perfect sense now he's got to pull both a ending and a beginning!"

He's been claiming that for the last decade hasn't he?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

Rothfuss called it a 'million-word prologue' like... ages ago and apparently people are just so desperate they're clinging to it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, that's the first I heard of it.

Really just hammers home how much of a poo poo writer he is and how dumb his fanbase are. Gobbling up every excuse he gives for why he can't finish a book in 10 years and just fawning over his lazy explanations like some 4D chess strategy.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

Well, that's the first I heard of it.

Really just hammers home how much of a poo poo writer he is and how dumb his fanbase are. Gobbling up every excuse he gives for why he can't finish a book in 10 years and just fawning over his lazy explanations like some 4D chess strategy.

It was like two years ago, in a Newsweek article. So uhh, not surprising you missed it.

Also apparently the third book was nearing completion in 2013, and was suppose to come out in 2014 and well it's 2020. Oh, and it was suppose to be shorter than the second book, which I... can't fathom because basically nothing in the main plot happened in the second book. It was just all 'Kvothe acquires this skill'.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
However many years it's been since I read the book, I think when it first came out and it said I spent X years with pirates but you wouldn't be interested in that. Then pages of sex ninjas. It still fills me with irrational rage. Lol.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I'm still kind of mad how the first book sucked me in at first, and then it was just an endless sequence of dumb not-romance, Mary Sue horseshit and revenge fantasy.

Am I gonna hate read the last book if it ever drops? Probably!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

calandryll posted:

However many years it's been since I read the book, I think when it first came out and it said I spent X years with pirates but you wouldn't be interested in that. Then pages of sex ninjas. It still fills me with irrational rage. Lol.

There's nothing irrational about that rage. Rothfuss totally thought he was being clever by having Kvothe say that the pirates were uninteresting and skip over them. He was not.

The truth is, I don't think Rothfuss actually had anything planned for the pirates and couldn't think of a good way to handle it and also that it'd be a good excuse to rob Kvothe of his belongings again so he could underdog some more. Therefore, it seemed like a very clever solution to all of his problems.

Willeh posted:

I'm still kind of mad how the first book sucked me in at first, and then it was just an endless sequence of dumb not-romance, Mary Sue horseshit and revenge fantasy.

Am I gonna hate read the last book if it ever drops? Probably!

I realized the books were terrible when I got to the end of the Tarbean section where he describes how taking a bath made the past three years just wash off and suddenly he was a studly and super handsome nobleman's son in appearance and not the direly malnourished and mangled-by-beatings 15 year old he actually was.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's a manga called Vinland Saga that did a huge sweeping story and then at volume 5 a climactic thing happens and it goes "End of the Prologue". And you're like "What?"

It's similar to Kingkiller in that the whole prologue section shows how the main protagonist goes from a eager kid to hardened and super competent killer and then has his life collapse. Then it continues after the prologue in a sort of redemptive arc for all the killing. The difference is that the pacing is very competent throughout and because it's historical fantasy is probably took more research for one chapter than was done for all of Kingkiller.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 14, 2020

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

There's a manga called Vinland Saga that did a huge sweeping story and then at volume 5 a climactic thing happens and it goes "End of the Prologue". And you're like "What?"

It's similar to Kingkiller in that the whole prologue section shows how the main protagonist goes from a eager kid to hardened and super competent killer and then has his life collapse. Then it continues after the prologue in a sort of redemptive arc for all the killing. The difference is that the pacing is very competent throughout and because it's historical fantasy is probably took more research for one chapter than was done for all of Kingkiller.

The problem is there's not really any meat to the bones of what could happen after the framing device completes. I guess he has to kill the Chandrians, maybe? That seems like it'd be the only thing left, but it doesn't seem to be enough to actually hold a story of any sort of length at all.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well the idea is whatever he did messed up the whole world. So he'd have to regain he mojo and use his powers to fix it. That might involve the Chandrian. Honestly a competent storyteller could come up with a whole host of things for a revitalized Kvothe to do. I just don't have much faith in this writer.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

The Chandrian are the only interesting element and they never even get mentioned more than a few times a book.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
for at least some of these folks, i think there is an addiction to 'series.' my brother messaged me a few weeks ago asking for help finding books because he primarily would only ready sci fi/fantasy in series and he wanted to break out of the rut, partially because he's grown bored of that kind of book but also because of stuff like this, where you start one and the author cannot or will not finish it. I think that a lot of the people who still care about kingkiller are in the same boat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The entire saga of Denna and everything Rothfuss writes involving her is enough to seriously question the value of the series because the whole "fuming with rage at mention of her" in the present time does not read remotely well for an author claiming he's a feminist.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

Well the idea is whatever he did messed up the whole world. So he'd have to regain he mojo and use his powers to fix it. That might involve the Chandrian. Honestly a competent storyteller could come up with a whole host of things for a revitalized Kvothe to do. I just don't have much faith in this writer.

It's been so vague that it's impossible to tell if there's even that much to fix. It's part of the problem that we don't actually know the important parts of Kvothe's legend. The only reason we can really assume he killed a king is a very vague and dumb line in the first book about 'I saw him killed him. They say they could never mend the cobblestone again' and the fact that the book is named the Kingkiller Chronicles. If he really did something that hosed up the world, why wasn't that being talked about as opposed to That Time He Took Medicine So It Didn't Hurt Or Bleed When He Got Whipped?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

One issue that I have with the stories is that Kvothe is just telling his story to the chronicler and that he still might have to deal with the monsters that are outside his tavern.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

One issue that I have with the stories is that Kvothe is just telling his story to the chronicler and that he still might have to deal with the monsters that are outside his tavern.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rothfuss forgot they existed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty sure he already killed them in book one. I always forget that Bask hired the thieves and then murdered them once he realized the Bad Luck Tree had hosed up Kvothe.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
The Chandrian are mostly lame as gently caress. The hate tree is cool though.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I feel like the reason KKC is so popular is because it's so enticing. Rothfuss's strength lies in hinting at things to come, talking around them, referencing them obliquely, etc. The draw isn't in his prose or what actually happens in the books, it's in the mystery of "how the hell does this all lead up to this legend?" You devour the books because you've just gotta get to the next hint. The Chandrian are emblematic of this - they're the primary antagonists, but their whole deal is that nobody knows anything about them, and that mystery generates interest that gets drip fed just enough to keep you hungry for it. On its own it probably wouldn't be that great a hook, but it's played in a pretty solid counterpoint to the sciencey, hyper-explained core setting.

Naturally, that's also the reason we don't have book 3. Rothfuss has no payoff, nothing is anywhere near as interesting as he makes it sound, and every time he gets a draft somewhere resembling done his beta readers feedback is a resounding "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ah, the JJ Abrams Mystery Box method.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'd be surprised if his beta readers have seen a scrap of book 3.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

In retrospect the tree is the only really interesting part of the series and I'm ki d of mad that Rothfuss came up with it, rather than a better writer.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
My favorite parts in ASOIAF were the little glimpses into the rebellion and what led up to the current situation, e.g. the Tower of Joy, Jamie’s perspective vs. Ned’s perspective of what happened in King’s Landing, the murder of Ned’s father and brother, Jon Arryn raising the banners, etc. Or in WoT when we’d get glimpses of Lews Therin and the other Aes Sedai in the golden age/war of power.

I feel that KKC has a similar hinted but not revealed back story, but there are actually two of them and Rothfuss isn’t talented enough to manage one, let alone two. There is all of the potentially interesting history with the Chandrian and the world/culture that was destroyed millennia or centuries before Kvothe and then there is the time period where Kvothe performed his legendary feats which informs present day Kote. Unfortunately Rothfuss cannot weave all of these stories together and the interesting story hinted at in the first book will never be written.

KKC is almost as if Robert Jordan had tried to write WoT from Rand’s perspective after he lost the battle against the dark one. It would be difficult for a good author let alone Rothfuss.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i forgot what this tree was

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"Now u will see the truth behind myth... I did not slay a dragon.... I slew a giant lizard that breathes fire...." still bugs the gently caress out of me

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

No you see, a goddess taught him how to gently caress so he was really good at it :jerkbag:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"This sixteen year old is clearly an accomplished fucksman" the buxom barwench exclaimed, breastily "a woman can tell a sex-haver on sight, something the target audience of this book are no-doubt deeply insecure about themselves." Kvothe and the wench later then did the sex hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Willeh posted:

No you see, a goddess taught him how to gently caress so he was really good at it :jerkbag:

No, he was already the best at gently caress before he met the goddess, he was so amazing he was the only person who didn't die from her loving and she didn't believe he was a virgin because he was just that amazing