Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Glumslinger posted:

My big problem is that with only 1 book left, I cant see how he becomes the guy who owns the bar. Like, these are just 2 completely different people, with completely different world views and personalities.

I mean, I know that poo poo is what these books are all about. hmm, well, I spent the last few years as the poorest of poor beggars, getting constantly hosed up and then I hear a single story and I'm suddenly a con-artist of the highest level, and now I'm a generational scholar.

Adding to that, we are 2/3s of the way in, and he hasn't done any of the poo poo we were promised he would do in the first couple of chapters. Yes, I get that a major theme is that stories get magnified and changed over time and distances, but gently caress me, do you honestly feel like it would be realistic for him to do any of that poo poo? Or how about whatever the gently caress was that crazy loving monsters in the intro? Again, hes gonna have to cover sooo much ground just to cover his promises, let alone introduce anything new.

That is assuming, he doesnt waste a quarter of the book being a wondergod at sex with faeires or ninjas. Whats next? Is he gonna gently caress a sexy samurai next?

What's funny is that the little bits he does cover from that (e.g., whipped and didn't bleed, defended himself in court in a song, slept with Felurian and live) all happened pretty much exactly as the stories say anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Jesus, that is thousands and thousands of dollars worth of painted D&D dungeon tiles stacked up behind him.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Brinner posted:

So I started putting together BotL's critical reading into a book bind but it turns out its really loving long and I don't want to spend that much on a Chuck Tingle covered roasting of rothfart. If anyone has the means I would be totally down to spend :10bux: for a toilet reader.

Put it in an ebook?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

pakman posted:

Can someone do me a solid and link me the blog posts that prove rothfuss is s garbage human? It had to do with the felurian stuff and good weird rear end views i think.

There's a few other gross posts.

There's one where he goes on about punctuation for 8 pages using the phrase "You smell so good its making me stupid" for the example.

He has sold multiple pin-up calendars. Since the half-naked ladies are lying on a book, its sexy, not smutty. Smutty girls are gross. Selling sexualized images of women on the other hand, is not objectifying in any way, it is classy and supportive. You can see one of the pinups here. (NSFW, obviously.)

This is by far the grossest one. He compared a bad adaptation of The Hobbit to finding out that the girl you fantasized about in high school is a dirty dirty slut.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Rothfuss has reviewed hundreds of books on Goodreads, and those that he's bothered to give a star rating are nearly always 5-stars. It really reeks of someone trying to suck up to other authors.

One of his 5-star reviews is for The Giving Tree. He has a couple sentences on how the boy is a selfish little poo poo but, hey, the tree is happy, life lessons are complex, the book is ambiguous for how we are supposed to take it.

One of his 1-star reviews is for another children's book, Eloise. He detests the naughty little girl and goes on for multiple paragraphs on how she's a bitch.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Old thread's discussion starts here.

God, I forgot about his writing "Good endings take time" in Lies of Locke Lamora. That's got to be the worst one.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I just lurk here, but this is 100% total bullshit. This would mean he has read his own book almost 3 times a month since release.

No idea why but this triggers me harder than any of the other Rothfuss bullshit posted in this thread.

It bothers you because its masturbatory. Proudly masturbatory.

He also says he's read 200+ books a year from 2011-2014, 149 books in 2015, and a meager 62 books in 2016. This is all on top of the hundreds of re-readings of NotW. To be fair, some are children's books and manga, which would be quicker/easier than a novel, but 2014 he said he read 367, so....

Lightning Lord posted:

It would be hard to suck up to noted dead person Shel Silverstein but I bet Rothfuss would try.

Well, yeah, that's a given. I picked it just for the comparison to his Eloise review. But its pretty obvious elsewhere. He has a whole shelf on GoodReads titled "Books I would blurb" as if its a standing offer.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Seems to be a pattern. See also, Anne Rice, LKH...

Ugh, I just revealed my teenage reading habits, didn't I?

LKH was less the editor and more the tumultuous divorce. Don't write you and your hubby as the main character and love interest in a book series, folks.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
A good rule of thumb is that if Penny Arcade does a comic on a book or book series, you should not read it.

The Anita Blake series was covered ages ago.

Guess what else was?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SpacePig posted:

I think they are also now friends with Pat as well. It was honestly a PA recommendation a decade ago that got me to read NotW in the first place, and now my opinions on both have changed drastically.

Pat plays D&D with them on their show moderately regularly. He managed to be more obnoxious than Wil Wheton.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The cult is falling apart screaming at him on facebook because they want the third book.

He is acting like they are making him do the Bataan Death March and why didn't they like the Auri book?

I am sitting in the corner laughing.

The cult is screaming at people who ask about the third book on Facebook.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

eNeMeE posted:

He's ended his tuition problems by scamming his former employer.

Wasn't scamming completely unnecessary, too? Like, his employer gives him a full ride to college and Kvothe has multiple sources of income, but still decides to scam him?

eXXon posted:

Once I read a review that said they loved Name of the Wind for all of the vibrant and compelling side characters and I laughed out loud.

Does Kvothe ever do anything to help his friends at university or show any interest whatsoever in their lives?

The only time I can think of is when one of the lady characters is temporarily turned into a damsel in distress and Kvothe rescues her, then goes on a rant on how, no, its really quite feminist.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey! Look what my buddy linked to me to prove that I've been saying Cthaeh wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPEB6NAGoYk

I love that right as he's being pedantic about how Caeldish is pronounced he completely gets the ethnicity of his own characters wrong.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

He posted a blog as soon as Trump was elected that him being president put him in a headspace where he couldn't write - I wouldn't expect any progress the next 2-6 years.

Doesn't really explain all the years of inactivity prior to Trump though.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tambreet posted:

I love this morning's blog post in which he expresses how profusely sorry he is for being so slow in writing... his blog.

Good lord he comes off as so pathetically whiny.

quote:

I’ve read a book or two a day for my entire life. I’ve spent more time in my life reading than… probably any other activity. I’ve always been able to pick up a book and just… go. Just leave for somewhere else. I’ve lived so many other lives in so many other worlds.

And now I can’t do it any more unless I wear glasses. It’s like I’ve spent my whole life being able to travel to Narnia and now someone put a lock on the wardrobe door….

"Oh no, glasses are a prison for the mind, my life is terrible.....don't forget to give me money for my latest kickstarter!"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I was reading reviews of Saga on GoodReads and this was one of the most popular reviews.

You won't believe how much he recycles that joke.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

latinotwink1997 posted:

“You would have book 3 by now, had I started 10 years earlier.”

Funny, I thought he finished all three books 20 years ago.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I was just gifted a copy of the D&D/Rick & Morty crossover comic Rothfuss wrote. My prediction going in is that it will be functionally identical to his Acquisitions Incorporated character.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

This is all I see:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

mp5 posted:

Bravest, critique The Slow Regard

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Hobbit films are gritty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7byUTrSZA&t=182s

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Benson Cunningham posted:

That was a lot of words for Rothfuss to demonstrate he still isn't really that comfortable with anything sex related.

That was a lot of words/space for Rothfuss to not actually discuss much about what he was paid to discuss. I think the only thing that was in the comic but not explicitly said/shown in the books was Fela being poly....which really feels more of a retcon to earn Progressive Points to me.

As far as Oh Joy Sex Toy, my first exposure to Erika was in a web series game show. One of the challenges in the show was to handle an interview professionally/appropriately (e.g., dealing with lovely questions). One question was "When did you lose your virginity?" All the other contestants laughed it off, or ignored it, or made a joke. Like you were supposed to.

Erika spent 10 minutes providing a timeline of every sexual encounter she ever had. "Hmm, I lost my fingering virginity here, and my butt virginity here, and my penis-in-vagina virginity here..."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Sex-positivity is one thing, but Erika Moen's attitude is that anything that makes someone wet or hard is good and fun and cute and pink and never has any issues or problems and should never be examined or questioned at all.

I also think it's really weird that she reviews sex toys when there's a very narrow, very specific type of toy she enjoys and hates everything else. Every single review boils down to "this did nothing for me, but I'm sure it will do something for someone!"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
As ill-suited/bad as Erika and Rothfuss are at their jobs, I suppose it's a good thing that they didn't switch professions.

"It was a silicone shark vagina in three parts...."

"Each tenga egg is like an instrument, waiting to be learned, loved, and finely played with, to have at last its own true music made."

"This this strawberry lube smells so good, it's making me stupid."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

A human heart posted:

goodreads automatic recs are based on stuff you read, if you read a bunch of like european modernism on there then it will recommend you more stuff like that. its not always very useful but you won't get young adult fiction or whatever showing up unless you read that kind of stuff.

Not true - sometimes it just wigs the gently caress out. I remember it recommending this 2nd grade fantasy book because I read this really violent sci-fi novel. Still don't know what weird tagging/algorithmic fluke caused that one.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Of note is that Fela obviously doesn't save herself, kvothe just talks poo poo about how she totally could have.

It makes sense if you interpret it as Kvothe trying to neg her.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PJOmega posted:

What in the hell is this?

An image from Rothfuss, noted feminist.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I follow Rothfuss on GoodReads and when the Rick and Morty comics started coming out he kept posting on there about how he'd love to write for them, it'd be such a great project for him, it'd be wonderful to contribute as a fan and author, etc. Guessing he leaves that part out of the interview.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Taxenema posted:

Rothfuss said his first draft was missing a third of the characters eventually introduced in The Name of the Wind, describing the original version as “a book you would not have liked, because it was just discernibly bad.”

That is a quote from the Newsweek article. I remember reading the book and having this feeling that new characters were just walking up out of nowhere. Guess it wasn’t my imagination.

I like how he phrased the first draft as 'discernibly bad,' like what was published wasn't good, just less obviously terrible.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Drone Jett posted:

https://www.tor.com/2019/04/15/five-years-on-theres-still-nothing-like-the-slow-regard-of-silent-things/

"Five Years On, There’s Still Nothing Like Patrick Rothfuss’ The Slow Regard of Silent Things"

That's...true.

The wheedling "[A quick note: I want to be clear that the five-year anniversary is used in the essay as a milestone to appreciate the work’s lasting impact. It’s not intended as a complaint about the author’s release schedule, in any way, and hope that we can discuss the novella on its own terms, keeping in mind the spirit in which this essay was written.]

How sensitive is Rothfuss that a glowing, uncritical review has to have a caveat at the end to make sure Rothfuss isn't offended?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Gluten Freeman posted:

I got about a third of the way into Lies of Locke Lamora before realising that there was one female character in the book, and she dies to motivate the male main characters.

As much as I enjoy the series, this happens again in the second book.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

al-azad posted:

So uh I’m quoting this 2 month old post to say that Rothfuss is indeed a creepy weirdo. I was at a convention and a recent acquaintance, a woman half his age, geeked out upon meeting him and invited him to sit and talk at a table with other fans. He offered her a private chat in his hotel room with the promise of ice cream. She says no at which point he promptly about faces leaving a trail of dust and beard hair behind him, just total cold shoulder.

Drawing right from the pedophile's play book, that one. Surprised he didn't tell the grown-rear end woman that if she came up she could have a puppy, too.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Can't believe this shithead does fundraising for charity.

You guys really need to settle down.

I see he's paying himself 6 figures and has been giving himself a 10-20K raise each year. No wonder he isn't writing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

al-azad posted:

Worldbuilders, like nearly every non-profit, operates through direct fundraising (which is a 100% donation) and by selling merchandise/operating events (which a percentage goes to charity). Patrick Rothfuss pays himself zero dollars from Worldbuilders, at least as of the last public filing. There's essentially two full time employees and another voting member who receives zero compensation. The other wages go to part timers and compensation for travel, conventions, hotels, and so on.

I'm not going to die on a hill for a guy who screwed over a buddy of mine, but I do take issue with calling Worldbuilders scummy when it operates in line with literally every charity. Nobody is getting rich off the organization, least of all Rothfuss, and they are not acting as a middleman skimming off the top unless you buy their merchandise which is the equivalent of any store that's like "All proceeds go here!"

That's all I have to say about it. Like I said the only thing the dude does right is run a charity.

That's what a loving fundraiser is!!!

Ah, zero dollars. The healthiest cuts let me tell you what

e: Charity! the fast track to a $24 an hour lifestyle.

Thanks for digging this up. At least the lazy creeper doesn't rip off charity. :unsmith:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

branedotorg posted:

the twang of the frenulum is so melancholy

like the taint was saying, "sad"

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I forget which book it was, but yeah, definitely my last LKH.

Its hard to tell since you basically described the last 20 books or so.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Werehyenas definitely ping my, "Oh gently caress, I definitely read about something like that once, so that might be it," sensors.

I remember when the early Anita Blake books were consciously chaste, and even when she and the vampire dude started fuckin' in like book 9, it was all about OMG CONDOMS and OMG CONSENT. And then allegedly LKH broke up with her husband, whom she allegedly based the fictional AB-verse werewolf off of, and started dating a short dude with a huge cock who she apparently based the were...tiiiiiger..? off of, and then things really went off the rails.

I tried to read her blog recently just for the lulz and it was merely sad.

Her husband at the time co-authored the first 6 or so books. Anita was based off her, and the werewolf she was dating was based off the husband.

They have a tumultuous divorce - I think because she cheated? This happens to be the turning point where Anita breaks up with the werewolf (who suddenly did a 180 personality shift into an inflexible rear end in a top hat that doesn't allow Anita to be polyamorous), and also when the books begin to include copious sex scenes. The author starts dating a new guy, and suddenly we're introduced to a wereleopard character that is based on him - Anita is careful to note that he is better in bed and better hung than the werewolf, and he's so masculine he's not threatened by polyamory and lets Anita sleep with around a dozen other men, despite the requirement that he not sleep with anyone else. This is also the point where Anita gains a magical superpower that requires her to have sex all the time but can basically do anything after loving, and most books after this point are 500 pages of lycanthropic sex to powerup for the final showdown in the last 20 pages, Dragonball Z style. This magical power also compels others to have sex with Anita but the author just sorts of shrugs off the idea of consent. At one point Anita rapes a 15 year old boy and we are told this is a good thing.

I've long since stopped reading the series, but my friend says the last few books are just the characters sitting around and dunking on her ex-husband for not being into MMMMMMMMMMMF scenarios and how polyamory saves all relationships.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Thanks @Dienes, that all tracks. It turns out I haven't thought about LKH for a while, so I forgot all the details. You've filled in the blanks, and...I can't say I'm grateful, but thx anyway?

Quickly and comprehensively. I mean, they were fairly lightweight urban fantasy to begin with, but they were serviceable. The use of relatively obscure folklore was cool (at age 15 or so), and I found some new stuff to read about through that. But when it went off the rails, woof, it took out an orphanage, a school for the blind, an old folk's home, caught fire, and spewed enough radioactivity to make the area uninhabitable for a dozen generations. Also, her blog is seriously amazing if you feel like reading something that makes you want to :psyboom:

Yeah - the early books have some really cool ideas with horrible execution. I loved the idea of a Neanderthal vampire that survived epochs into the modern age, impossibly powerful and hopelessly disconnected, and it turned out to be a wet fart.

I remember texting my friend after reading the first few chapters of one of the post-divorce-schism books in a B&N, and Anita was having a threesome with two of the vampires within the first 30 pages, and basically said, "ASHER, STICK IT IN MY BUTT," and now if I need to get my friend's attention, I send her that phrase. That's also the line where I put the book down and couldn't stop giggling for the rest of the day.

In one book she humblebrags about enjoying having her cervix hit (because lesser women can't take it), and then described the dimensions of someone's dick as literally those of a football. That was the point I put the book down.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TV Zombie posted:

Isn't Rothfuss in a relationship? That type of behavior...ugh.

He lives with his girlfriend of 10+ years with whom he has 2 children. He tends to creep at conferences, which is convenient since usually his girlfriend is back home with the two kids and isn't there to catch him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Signing other people's work is the most obnoxious twee bullshit.