Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Books good, Pat bad, Dad gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I feel like the reason KKC is so popular is because it's so enticing. Rothfuss's strength lies in hinting at things to come, talking around them, referencing them obliquely, etc. The draw isn't in his prose or what actually happens in the books, it's in the mystery of "how the hell does this all lead up to this legend?" You devour the books because you've just gotta get to the next hint. The Chandrian are emblematic of this - they're the primary antagonists, but their whole deal is that nobody knows anything about them, and that mystery generates interest that gets drip fed just enough to keep you hungry for it. On its own it probably wouldn't be that great a hook, but it's played in a pretty solid counterpoint to the sciencey, hyper-explained core setting.

Naturally, that's also the reason we don't have book 3. Rothfuss has no payoff, nothing is anywhere near as interesting as he makes it sound, and every time he gets a draft somewhere resembling done his beta readers feedback is a resounding "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

PJOmega posted:

It isn't good. But then you're not reading fantasy for the most part because you want good. You're looking for popcorn. Escapism. Entertainment. And creating that emotional cache with the standard fantasy reader goes a long way to endearing them to the work.

This is absolutely it. If you're not consuming beyond a surface level, you don't care that "It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone" means absolutely nothing. You consume the line, it generates an image/emotion/feeling that contributes to the narrative, and you move onto the next line. Part of the reason his work is so enjoyable is that he packs in a *lot* of those lines.

I honestly think that he has some genuine raw talent. He's just hit that first peak in the dunning-kruger curve and has enough fanboys to shake off any of those nagging feelings like he could be doing better.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So what living SFF authors are worth our time? Might as well put some recommendations on this thread since there's gently caress all else to talk about.

Abercrombie does characterization and black-comedy best, and while I haven't finished the first book of Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy I do know anything that wins three straight Hugo's is probably worth poo poo.

Can confirm Jemisin is A+ tier. Broken Earth and Inheritance were both pretty amazing (but dear god Inheritance was horny as gently caress)

Glen Cook is awesome and Black Company is one of my default fantasy recommendations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Ccs posted:

At this best BotL posted really detailed and interesting critiques of much lauded fantasy that explored the prose to a level of detail people never really discuss. At his worst he would just pop into threads to say something snide.

At his worst he would pop into threads to say something snide and absolutely not let it go to the point that he was absolutely toxic to any real conversation in the thread.

And he was at his worst a lot.

His critical reading of these books was pretty great but for every decent post there was a whole hell of a lot more badposting, and there's only so high that ratio can get before you just throw out the whole poster

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I thought he already outlined the entire story.

Now he has to go back and...write the outline?

Hack fraud.

I assume what he means there is that all he has is his original outline and he would like to just sell that, thanks

rothfuss delete the book

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The unbridled nerd rage and fanboyism this thread keeps veering into are even dweebier than Pat himself.

let's be real, this is less "The Pat Rothfuss thread" and more "The Let's Hate Popular Fantasy thread"

which, I mean, fair, in absentia of a unifying topic (PatRo doing literally anything) goons naturally revert to consuming themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

It's not so much that as that he's a Mediocre White Man, with all the overconfidence that implies. He has a puddle-depth knowledge of a handful of things that he gets to call himself nerdy about, and because he's aggressively culled his life of people who will tell him "no" he gets to pretend that those puddles are all that's important about the subject, that he's cut through the excession and pedantery and elitism and can tell you how it really is. What's a minor chord, we just want music to say sad.

If he was a south african with emerald money, he'd have bought twitter by now.